Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair resuming majority of flights by July

Options
  • 14-05-2020 7:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭

Does this mean we may be able to travel in July? Or is this only ryanair from other destinations that are allowed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Does this mean we may be able to travel in July? Or is this only ryanair from other destinations that are allowed?

Depends on where you want to go. Most countries will probably have open borders by then, but a few may well still be closed to foreigners and non-residents; so although Ryanair may well sell you a ticket to go there, the authorites might not let you in (or insist on quarantine)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,170 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

As it currently stands as an Irish resident you can't travel more than 20km from home until 20th July.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 shadowmouse

"Ryanair on Tuesday confirmed it will return to 40% of its planned flight schedule from July 1 and will require passengers to wear face coverings and to ask crew permission to use the toilet.

The Irish airline, Europe’s largest low-cost carrier, is to begin to fly 1,000 flights per day on July 1, up from a skeleton service of 30 flights per day it is currently operating, it said in a statement.

That will allow it to cover 90% of its pre-crisis network but fewer frequencies, it said.

This month CEO Michael O’Leary said Ryanair was likely to go from 40% of normal flights in July to 50% in August, but with at least half of the seats likely to be empty due to “anaemic demand”.

As part of its Covid-19 response, Ryanair will require all passengers to fill out a form detailing the length of their planned visit and where they will stay, information that will be provided to EU governments to monitor quarantine measures.

Britain, one of Ryanair’s three largest markets, plans to quarantine for 14 days after arriving in the country, a move that industry leaders on Monday said would worsen an already grave situation for the aviation sector.

Ryanair said it will disinfect all aircraft interiors every night and ban cash sales on board and encourage customers to check their temperature before traveling."

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Jose Luis Abalos explained that the two-week quarantine was intended to be temporary. It is set to be phased out in parallel with travel being allowed within Spain.

Hopefully the same is implemented here!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

As it currently stands as an Irish resident you can't travel more than 20km from home until 20th July.

Incorrect, Irish Residents who are of a foreign nationality can travel to their country and back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Someone needs to clarify this.
    In July a flight from one of Ryanair hubs arrives Dublin with passengers.
    According to above this flight return empty.
    We need EU clarity here...

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

bigar wrote: »
    Incorrect, Irish Residents who are of a foreign nationality can travel to the their country and back.

This seems strange, there's no way Irish citizens would be discriminated in our own country!
    As far as I know, guideline is that non-essential travel should be avoided by anyone who's resident in Ireland, irrespective of citizenship.
    That being said, I highly doubt anyone would be denied boarding if they are admissible to their country of destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Only a small % of their flights either land or depart from Ireland

Someone needs to clarify this.
    In July a flight from one of Ryanair hubs arrives Dublin with passengers.
    According to above this flight return empty.
    We need EU clarity here...

I believe the government 'strategy' is to keep hotels, pubs and restaurants closed as a deterrent. Tourists won't come to Ireland if there's nothing to do and nowhere to stay, so no incentive to visit Ireland until August at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

GocRh wrote: »
    This seems strange, there's no way Irish citizens would be discriminated in our own country!
    As far as I know, guideline is that non-essential travel should be avoided by anyone who's resident in Ireland, irrespective of citizenship.
    That being said, I highly doubt anyone would be denied boarding if they are admissible to their country of destination.

Irish Citizens are not discriminated against. If they live in another country they will be allowed entry into Ireland and return as they are resident in the other country.
    All travelers will have to abide by local rules though like only essential travel and self isolation.

• Advertisement

bigar wrote: »
    Irish Citizens are not discriminated against. If they live in another country they will be allowed entry into Ireland and return as they are resident in the other country.
    All travelers will have to abide by local rules though like only essential travel and self isolation.

My reply was in relation to your comment regarding foreign nationals residing in Ireland being able to travel unimpeded to and from their country of nationality: 'Incorrect, Irish Residents who are of a foreign nationality can travel to their country and back.'

Which is not entirely accurate as everyone in Ireland, irish or not, is being advised against non-essential trips.

Concerning your last comments that Irish citizens 'will be allowed entry into Ireland and return as they are resident in the other country' - Irish citizens are ALWAYS allowed entry into Ireland, at any time, for any reason, from anywhere in the world, irrespective of where they live. They are also not necessarily entitled to return to their country of residence - several countries completely closed their borders to non-nationals, being a resident does not automatically entitle anyone a right to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I couldn't see myself flying anytime this year even if it was free. Airports are a pain in the hole at the best of times imagine going through them in these times. Probably have to turn up about 8 hours before the flight just to get through the checks and good luck trying to get something to eat or a drink whilst waiting for the flight. No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I couldn't see myself flying anytime this year even if it was free. Airports are a pain in the hole at the best of times imagine going through them in these times. Probably have to turn up about 8 hours before the flight just to get through the checks and good luck trying to get something to eat or a drink whilst waiting for the flight. No thanks.
    Certainly be arranging a few xanax if there are no pints to be bought to ease the pre flight jitters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

If you get an offer of free flights PM please I’ll gladly take them off your hands anytime this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

The title of this thread is actually incorrect. Michael O Leary was on Sky news the other day and said flights will resume at 40% of their usual capacity come July. He also said they will not be keeping middle seats free to facilitate social distancing.
    Essentially given how contagious this virus is, the likelihood of contracting it in a confined space like a plane would be quite high. The safest place to sit would be the very back row because there's nobody sitting behind you coughing on top of you. That still wouldn't guarantee you wouldn't get it, but it would reduce your risk slightly.
    Ultimately people can take a whole host of measures to mitigate catching this disease but it really is a case of when you will catch it not if.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Out of curiosity - Would this allow me to claim insurance ?

YesterdayRyanair cancelled our flights to Spain on 18th July, but hotel is still booked and looks like it will be operational.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,005 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Why cant one post in the will be fly again thread?

I notice Harris getting his way with 2 week quarantine legislation.

Talk about after timing.

Surely now is the time to plan for loosening not inflicting more damage on our economy.

I hope this measure is easily retractable

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RickBlaine

According to RTE: "They will remain in effect until 18 June 2020, when they will be reviewed."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Going of the topic slightly if I'm correct u could purchase a 20kg luggage and 10kg cabin bag plus a small bag under Ur seat and reserved seating is this selection gone now as I can see there is no 10 kg on this plus option but now had a small bag 40cmx20cmx25 dimensions which want this a larger dimensions last year ?

• Advertisement

torrevieja wrote: »
    Going of the topic slightly if I'm correct u could purchase a 20kg luggage and 10kg cabin bag plus a small bag under Ur seat and reserved seating is this selection gone now as I can see there is no 10 kg on this plus option but now had a small bag 40cmx20cmx25 dimensions which want this a larger dimensions last year ?

I booked one return trip EasyJet since the lockdown.
    There was no option for larger carry-0n bag but i the smaller one was still there, the larger bag has to go in hold at a cost of £1 per flight.
    I am expecting all baggage be going in the hold when some kindof normal resumes, it makes sense.

Someone who flew recently likely give you more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Tippgirl74

Out of curiosity - Would this allow me to claim insurance ?

YesterdayRyanair cancelled our flights to Spain on 18th July, but hotel is still booked and looks like it will be operational.

Not with our insurance- insureandgo. Government directive was an exclusion!! We had annual multitrip with them for years!! Would have got nothing back on the 2 holidays we'd booked if were dependent on them!!! I know vhi travel insurance paid out for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭torrevieja

I booked one return trip EasyJet since the lockdown.
    There was no option for larger carry-0n bag but i the smaller one was still there, the larger bag has to go in hold at a cost of £1 per flight.
    I am expecting all baggage be going in the hold when some kindof normal resumes, it makes sense.

Thanks but I'm just wondering if Ryanair has changed this

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭atahuapla

One of their PR guys was on the evening show on RTE Radio 1 last night, it was a strange interview. Host asked him how many people will be allowed on their 737's from July. Guy replies flatly "Our 737s seat 189 people."
    They are not implementing any social distancing measures whatsoever!

Getting on a full Ryanair flight is fairly claustrophobic in normal times, who in their right mind would book a Ryanair flight knowing this info?

atahuapla wrote: »
    One of their PR guys was on the evening show on RTE Radio 1 last night, it was a strange interview. Host asked him how many people will be allowed on their 737's from July. Guy replies flatly "Our 737s seat 189 people."

Getting on a full Ryanair flight is fairly claustrophobic in normal times, who in their right mind would book a Ryanair flight knowing this info?

To be fair the EU guideline said middle seat need not be free.

There is Business+Politics+Economies.
    If we do not fly they all fail...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Why cant one post in the will be fly again thread?

Locked with no reason given

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

atahuapla wrote: »

They're flying them full?

Fcuk that. I'll wait and see how this goes over the next 2 months before getting on a plane anywhere in the EU

O'Leary doesn't give a flying singular fúck about you or if you catch anything

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    They're flying them full?

Fcuk that. I'll wait and see how this goes over the next 2 months before getting on a plane anywhere in the EU

O'Leary doesn't give a flying singular fúck about you or if you catch anything

That decision was made at EU level.

I agree i think they should have left middle seat free at least for a Month but it was not O'Leary's decision.

I know EasyJet said in the past they were going to leave middle seat free so we will see if this happens...

That decision was made at EU level.

I agree i think they should have left middle seat free at least for a Month but it was not O'Leary's decision.

I know EasyJet said in the past they were going to leave middle seat free so we will see if this happens...

No one is forced to fly, and if people are that concerned just book the seat next to you!

It would be nice however if Ryanair offered the option to block a seat at a reduced price though... they won't be filling planes anytime soon anyway so that might actually help convince some people to fly...

I'd be more 'concerned' with the policy that you have to call a flight attended if you want to go to the toilet, I just don't see how that's going to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I really want to travel in late July, we had flights booked for June but are cancelled. Any ideas here as to if fights will go ahead in late July/August?

Advertisement