Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to get Dumbells Currently?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Looks like they're cutting multiples from one sheet

£70 for one 20KG plate (18 per sheet)
    £17.50 for one 5KG plate (12 per sheet)

£1470 per sheet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rubadub wrote: »
    The large plate on that instagram page is very narrow, I wonder what it weighs. With laser you are limited to thickness it can cut, then you get into plasma which can go thicker but still limited

edit: I see this pic, the blue is 20kg which is surprising for the thickness.
    Olympic colours, so blue is 20kg.
    Based on the density of steel being about 8kg/L, it's be about 16mm thick plate.

Any idea what a plate costs? Or the cost per kg of steel.
    The round shape is not economical, if you are cutting from sheet you want to minimise waste on the sheet, so interlocking hex shapes are better.

Hex is materially economical, but less functional. The money you'd save on material you lose on price.

brianblaze wrote:
    £70 for one 20KG plate (18 per sheet)
    £17.50 for one 5KG plate (12 per sheet)

£1470 per sheet
    That's probably the most effective way.
    I still the thing profit window is gonna be tight. And needs to be that kind of scale to be worth it.

Mellor wrote: »
    Olympic colours, so blue is 20kg.
    Based on the density of steel being about 8kg/L, it's be about 16mm thick plate.

Any idea what a plate costs? Or the cost per kg of steel.

Hex is materially economical, but less functional. The money you'd save on material you lose on price.

That's probably the most effective way.
    I still the thing profit window is gonna be tight. And needs to be that kind of scale to be worth it.

They're chucking out hundreds a day to be fair, so they're doing volume. Still would love to find a company here who could do it to work out the costs and do a few runs. It'd be far cheaper shipping for people in Ireland than ordering from the UK. (Also I need more f'n plates!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

brianblaze wrote: »
    They're chucking out hundreds a day to be fair, so they're doing volume. Still would love to find a company here who could do it to work out the costs and do a few runs. It'd be far cheaper shipping for people in Ireland than ordering from the UK. (Also I need more f'n plates!)

Yeah, they look to be smashing out a huge amount, so even tiny margins are worth it.

Mellor wrote: »
    Yeah, they look to be smashing out a huge amount, so even tiny margins are worth it.

Honestly, if anyone knows anyone in that industry, tell em! Easy enough get them designed up and made if you have the equipment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Plenty of gyms will never reopen unfortunately,be lots of equipment for sale in the coming months

Plenty of gyms will never reopen unfortunately,be lots of equipment for sale in the coming months

Given the sheer amount of Oly bars and plates selling, there might be a higher demand for Crossfit/ Powerlifting gyms though, for people who want to get into the sport after lockdown training solo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

brianblaze wrote: »
    Given the sheer amount of Oly bars and plates selling, there might be a higher demand for Crossfit/ Powerlifting gyms though, for people who want to get into the sport after lockdown training solo

spotters needed for heavy stuff,gonna be interesting to see how this plays out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

spotters needed for heavy stuff,gonna be interesting to see how this plays out

If you have safetes, you should be fine. Though admittedly that depends on the safeties and how heavy you're going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

https://www.hotukdeals.com/visit/thread/3486180

Hex dumbbells in stock, use code SUMMER20 for a discount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Slender Health in Raheny is shutting down after 34 years due to COVID related financial issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

edgecutter wrote: »

Nice have ordered a 25 and 15. Cost 60 including delivery!

Get them shipped to parcel motel as they won't do an Irish address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

OmegaGene wrote: »
    It’s showing pre order

Yeah, I should have mention that, but they are due next week. Also, these come as singles so make sure you order 2 of each weight.

Yeah, I should have mention that, but they are due next week. Also, these come as singles so make sure you order 2 of each weight.

Not too bad a price all things considered, order to parcel motel as they don't see to ship to Ireland.

I just got singles and will do single arm exercises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭swededmonkey

thegymnewry seems to have loads of equipment for sale. Quite pricey though, but getting your hands on plates, bars etc isnt an issue and they will deliver all over ireland

• Advertisement

Gymless on Adverts have hex dumbbells advertised again in the last 20 minutes.

20s, 15s, 10s, 7,5s and 5s.

Only had a handful of each last time but they seem to have 20-40 of each this time

Gymless on Adverts have hex dumbbells advertised again in the last 20 minutes.

20s, 15s, 10s, 7,5s and 5s.

Only had a handful of each last time but they seem to have 20-40 of each this time

the 17.5 ones i ordered arrived very quickly last time and had no issues

OmegaGene wrote: »
    this fella is spot on for delivery

Me or Gymless? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Jarren1

Those dumbells are available early July though (adverts)

Jarren1 wrote: »
    Those dumbells are available early July though (adverts)

Good spot. Shipping 6th July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sp00k

Excellent find. Snagged 2x30kg dumbells for 90 euro, a steal in this climate.

sp00k wrote: »

Good in any weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

Did that include shipping to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sp00k

leanin2019 wrote: »
    Did that include shipping to Ireland?

I had to use parcel motel. So whatever that ends up costing. I'd imagine about €14 euro as its 60kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

I had to use parcel motel. So whatever that ends up costing. I'd imagine about €14 euro as its 60kg.

Your probably right. You could use the home delivery if driving to the Depot is a pain.

All things considered thats a great price in the current climate alright.

My last oversized delivery from Parcel Motel was 7.95, its was 32kg and they just sent it by van. Think it was DPD or one of those

Advertisement