Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When will we fly again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

No point yet for me and family members to go abroad to whatever lockdown/social distancing is still in place, compared to staying here in the same boat.

I'd be a bit cautious too about airline travel and all it entails for a while yet. There is no way that planes could observe the 2metre rule, and social distancing will go on for a good while yet no matter what.

I know some people are very brave and divil may care, but most are not. Why go abroad to social distancing and their version of ongoing lockdown and possible quarantine.

It depends on your perspective I suppose.

I know if we get away in June there will be social distancing restrictions in place, but at least we will be abroad, in the sun, and we will make the most of it as best we can.

Theres going to be a huge number of people cancelling, so I doubt there will be any issues with holiday destinations implementing distancing measures.

As regards the flying aspect, it would be plastered all over the news by now if 1000's of airline / airport staff had become infected disproportionatly. There are no reports of it spreading like wildfire on planes. I'd probably wear a mask, carry a bit of hand sanitiser, and not eat on the plane, but apart from that I wouldn't be worried.

I'd bring a pack of disinfectant wipes for the room when we arrive, and I'll rent a car so we have as little close contact with people as possible.

Of course if the government still have a travel advisory against travel, or have a quarantine period on return, we wont go. But otherwise, we will be there.

We can either make a few minor changes like what I've mentioned and go away and have a good time, or we can sit at home. Of course it's different if you're of a certain age or have health considerations etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I'm not splitting hairs - you can't say a whole industry is in trouble just because there's a mixed bags of some profitable and some non profitable businesss.

Anyway back on topic...

I article was based on the information supplied by the CEO of an Airline outlining seating policy, surely this on the topic we are talking about.
    I just added that he said they were losing money which surprised me.

You mentioned about different parts of business that has nothing to do with original topic, i never drifted from topic (for a change) i just responded to your comment. That's it.

enjoy the trip...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

What's the point in travelling abroad if all the museums, attractions and restaurants are closed? Is there really a difference in eating a frozen pizza from an Aldi in Spain compared to one in Ireland? Seems like a miserable experience tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

bluelamp wrote: »
    It depends on your perspective I suppose.

I know if we get away in June there will be social distancing restrictions in place, but at least we will be abroad, in the sun, and we will make the most of it as best we can.

Theres going to be a huge number of people cancelling, so I doubt there will be any issues with holiday destinations implementing distancing measures.

As regards the flying aspect, it would be plastered all over the news by now if 1000's of airline / airport staff had become infected disproportionatly. There are no reports of it spreading like wildfire on planes. I'd probably wear a mask, carry a bit of hand sanitiser, and not eat on the plane, but apart from that I wouldn't be worried.

I'd bring a pack of disinfectant wipes for the room when we arrive, and I'll rent a car so we have as little close contact with people as possible.

Of course if the government still have a travel advisory against travel, or have a quarantine period on return, we wont go. But otherwise, we will be there.

We can either make a few minor changes like what I've mentioned and go away and have a good time, or we can sit at home. Of course it's different if you're of a certain age or have health considerations etc etc.

Sounds likes a great start to a most memorable holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I wouldn't risk it at all till at least 2021 or until it's stated it's safe but then I will also make a judgement call and decide myself after taking in all the information we will hopefully be furnished with.

We have sun here so really no need to be going anywhere else for the moment and then also what happens when we most likely have a 2nd wave....

If this isn't stopped then travel is the worst thing people can do and will just spread it more....

Just because you didn't get it or it wasn't that bad for you doesn't mean you aren't a carrier and in turn passing it on.....

People really need to take their heads out of the sand and also it's just come out Wuhan figures have been increased by 50%>>>> amazing how that comes out.... I don't trust a thing the Chinese say and the sooner we get products as much as possible not from there the better.....

• Advertisement

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Sounds likes a great start to a most memorable holiday.

Some of us will get on with life, like we have been told we will have to, by the government and medical experts.

It's been made very clear we will have to live alongside this virus.

The misery merchants will try and shame everybody into locking themselves into their houses, the more pragmatic of us will do what we are actually told to do, and practice good hygiene and social distancing, and get on with life.

If the government reccomend against travelling - then we wont travel.

Most peoples holidays arent for at least 10 weeks away. So much can improve in that time.

Let's be realistic - travelling between two countries, which will probably have low rates of infection at that point in time, practicing similar social distancing and hygiene practices, is not risky.

coinop wrote: »
    What's the point in travelling abroad if all the museums, attractions and restaurants are closed? Is there really a difference in eating a frozen pizza from an Aldi in Spain compared to one in Ireland? Seems like a miserable experience tbh.

Why would everything be closed in 3 or 4 months time? Not one statistic, government, or health authority is predicting that.

Why would anyone being eating a frozen aldi pizza even here right now? All the take aways are open, plenty of restaurants who dont usually do take away, are delivering to your door.

Also - situations differ. Not everybody is going to a jam packed apartment block in torremolinos. Lots of people will be going to rented holiday homes, that could have a pool, cooking facilities. Why would they have a miserable experience?

As I've said before - we have already been told we will have to start adapting, and live our lives alongside this virus. Thats from health experts and the government.

I'll leave others to their frozen aldi pizza in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

No point yet for me and family members to go abroad to whatever lockdown/social distancing is still in place, compared to staying here in the same boat.

I'd be a bit cautious too about airline travel and all it entails for a while yet. There is no way that planes could observe the 2metre rule, and social distancing will go on for a good while yet no matter what.

I know some people are very brave and divil may care, but most are not. Why go abroad to social distancing and their version of ongoing lockdown and possible quarantine.

Plus I think it would be a pretty miserable time on holidays for a long time. Imagine not being able to act like a holiday maker when you are on your holidays. Stuck in long queues because museums are letting less than half the people in. No craic in the pubs. Restaurants.

Getting your temperatues checked when you land. On person in your party has a slightly high temperature. Quarantine for the lot of you for two weeks and anyone sitting within two rows of you.

Lockdown happens fast. In your destination country they go for another lockdown while you are there.

Just dont see the fun in a holiday atm.

No, I think i'll be giving holidays a miss this year at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Plus I think it would be a pretty miserable time on holidays for a long time. Imagine not being able to act like a holiday maker when you are on your holidays. Stuck in long queues because museums are letting less than half the people in. No craic in the pubs. Restaurants.

Getting your temperatues checked when you land. On person in your party has a slightly high temperature. Quarantine for the lot of you for two weeks and anyone sitting within two rows of you.

Lockdown happens fast. In your destination country they go for another lockdown while you are there.

Just dont see the fun in a holiday atm.

No, I think i'll be giving holidays a miss this year at least.

Agree with you. But we will be told we are misery guts no doubt!

Each person/family will assess the risks and see what enjoyment they might get from a ferry/airline trip abroad to a country that will continue to observe social distancing re the museums, the sites, the bars, the restaurants, the beaches and so on.

I dunno what will happen, but I do think that holidays as we know it now are not going to be the same. I feel there will be an element of fear of being close enough to anyone now.

I know I will be castigated for sounding negative, but really, if someone can tell me that either here in Ireland or abroad we will be mingling in our thousands at historical sites or in restaurants and nightlife, I would like them to back it up a la Covid threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We as a family love to travel so it really is a hope for us that we can travel again safely hopefully in the not too distant future. I don't want to give up that hope yet. Maybe that is unrealistic but right now I want to try to have some more great family holidays to look forward to in the future. While I feel that won't be in 2020, I remain hopeful for 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

Aldi frozen pizza cheap eaters wont be allowed anymore in spain...they need cash flow

Some of us will get on with life, like we have been told we will have to, by the government and medical experts.

The misery merchants will try and shame everybody into locking themselves into their houses, the more pragmatic of us will do what we are actually told to do, and practice good hygiene and social distancing, and get on with life.

Most peoples holidays arent for at least 10 weeks away. So much can improve in that time.

Let's be realistic - travelling between two countries, which will probably have low rates of infection at that point in time, practicing similar social distancing and hygiene practices, is not risky.

Looks like somebody has a forthcoming holiday abroad booked and is trying to put a positive twist on things. Hope you enjoy your break if it happens.

Looks like somebody has a forthcoming holiday abroad booked and is trying to put a positive twist on things. Hope you enjoy your break if it happens.

Sam Hain wrote: »

"Looks like?" ... I literally said I have a forthcoming holiday and I am putting a positive twist on things.

I try to have a positive outlook on most things in life - I'd suggest a few people around here give that a try for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

All I know is that I am planning on being back in Ireland in August, not a case of holiday more a case of having to be there.

While I have not bought the ticket yet, it HAS to happen.

I suspect flights will be a lot more difficult getting back into the States. Ireland seems to be a doddle.

Will this be a wake up call to many that the less travel the less stress.....

I mean commuting also not just plane travel....

Look at the devastating impact all this travel has had on our planet.....

I'd like to see a lot less flights and travel in general and get cleaner air and in turn better life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    Aldi frozen pizza cheap eaters wont be allowed anymore in spain...they need cash flow

What the hell is this snobbery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I love Aldi's pizza. And I don't go to Spain or on any type.of sun holiday.
    My last one was Florence and it's museums and art galleries.

How's that for snobbery:)

Similar ;)

I adore the odd Iceland frozen pizza and I can't stand or ever do the usual "2 weeks in Benidorm" holiday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Will this be a wake up call to many that the less travel the less stress.....

I mean commuting also not just plane travel....

Look at the devastating impact all this travel has had on our planet.....

I'd like to see a lot less flights and travel in general and get cleaner air and in turn better life.

How much does air travel contribute to pollution? I can’t wait to see flights back up and running and the free movement of people again to enjoy exploring the world and having something to look forward to. And to be honest not that I’ve been to Benidorm which I see getting a hard time give me sunshine and the med and Spain in Benidorm any day over rip off Ireland rain and paddywhackery.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Worldwide travel being the biggest contributor to air pollution is a myth.

I honestly hope you're joking..... It's up there with some of the worst....

Look up iron ore mining for starters.... Yes it's for cars too but the fuel used in planes is unreal......

China is also the worst but everyone will still buy from them even after all this....

'It's up there' is not the same as the big bad name, people flying around gets is all I'm saying.

https://www.atag.org/facts-figures.html

Happy to be corrected with up to date credible stats - not heresay.

This needs to be on feckin' T shirts and billboards the world over

The fans of the actress Greta need to have a long, hard look at themselves

ShineOn7 wrote: »

No fan of her bs, but if we didn't have as much flights the spread may well have been less....

Borders should have been shut, airports should have rigorous testing, they don't and yet this is major.....

I don't want to die early and I want my family to survive too especially my dad as he is 73 and it could wipe him out......

Life is way too stressful and I hope one thing comes from this and it's the realisation that constantly traveling is not good for one's health.

ShineOn7 wrote: »

I do love the sound and visual of a good old diesel locomotive starting....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

I believe luxury travel will make a comeback before budget backpacker travel does. Compare a middle-class married couple sharing a hotel room in the Hilton to a scruffy college backpacker staying in the cheapest possible hostels in Thailand, 16 strangers to a room all sharing the same toilet, shower and kitchen facilities, cooking his 16 cent ramen noodles in the same unwashed pot that hundreds of hostel residents used before him. It's simply not hygienic or responsible in these times.

It wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing either if the price of travel was increased for a while. Fewer crowds at airports means less stress. It would also lead to a decrease in the instagram posers clogging up the popular attractions. At the end of the day, travel is a luxury. It's only in the last 50 years that the average person feels entitled to an annual trip abroad. Mass tourism is still a recent development and we're just beginning to learn about the negative affects it's having on the environment not to mention society as a whole (Air'n'B pricing locals out of their own neighbourhood, for example.) We've seen push back from Barcelona residents over how tourists are destroying their city.

sdeG1ou.jpg

Vc8w2qs.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I believe luxury travel will make a comeback before budget backpacker travel does. Compare a middle-class married couple sharing a hotel room in the Hilton to a scruffy college backpacker staying in the cheapest possible hostels in Thailand, 16 strangers to a room all sharing the same toilet, shower and kitchen facilities, cooking his 16 cent ramen noodles in the same unwashed pot that hundreds of hostel residents used before him. It's simply not hygienic or responsible in these times.

It wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing either if the price of travel was increased for a while. Fewer crowds at airports means less stress. It would also lead to a decrease in the instagram posers clogging up the popular attractions. At the end of the day, travel is a luxury. It's only in the last 50 years that the average person feels entitled to an annual trip abroad. Mass tourism is still a recent development and we're just beginning to learn about the negative affects it's having on the environment not to mention society as a whole (Air'n'B pricing locals out of their own neighbourhood, for example.) We've seen push back from Barcelona residents over how tourists are destroying their city.

sdeG1ou.jpg

Vc8w2qs.jpg

The middle class will be crushed, tax increases to pay for all this, job losses and the very fact that the emperor's clothes are about to be found out, debt levels in Ireland and elsewhere are astronomical and there is simply a tsunami of bankrupticies about to happen which will make 2008 look like a boom year. Those new cars and PCP plans etc will all be repo'd, cheap travel will be the only thing to grow and particularly amongst the under 30's who luckily for them did not get indebted before this thing happened. I am in my early thirties luckily with no debt as I was heavily effected by 2008 and always knew the next collapse was close partially from being pessimistic by nature anyway and ultra cautious. I see plenty people around me with brand new cars, several holidays, expensive houses on mortgage and yes good jobs, however most spent it as quick as they earn and these lads will soon be back home with mammy and daddy on beans and toast whilst fighting repossession orders.

The rich will always have money to travel, younger studenty types will scrimp enough and whilst Ireland has 35% unemployment these types will go travelling to hostels with ryanair etc on their shoestring budgets. Middle-class Ireland will be wrecked and with Fianna Fail about to seize power here the Weimar Republic springs to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Like you we love to travel too and consider ourselves pretty fearless as regards some of the places we’ve been lucky enough to travel to. However on a personal level I honestly believe that there’s no hope of travelling safely as regards the Covid 19 issue until there’s a vaccine and you’ve had it.
    SusanC10 wrote: »
    We as a family love to travel so it really is a hope for us that we can travel again safely hopefully in the not too distant future. I don't want to give up that hope yet. Maybe that is unrealistic but right now I want to try to have some more great family holidays to look forward to in the future. While I feel that won't be in 2020, I remain hopeful for 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

theguzman wrote: »
    The middle class will be crushed, tax increases to pay for all this, job losses and the very fact that the emperor's clothes are about to be found out, debt levels in Ireland and elsewhere are astronomical and there is simply a tsunami of bankrupticies about to happen which will make 2008 look like a boom year. Those new cars and PCP plans etc will all be repo'd, cheap travel will be the only thing to grow and particularly amongst the under 30's who luckily for them did not get indebted before this thing happened. I am in my early thirties luckily with no debt as I was heavily effected by 2008 and always knew the next collapse was close partially from being pessimistic by nature anyway and ultra cautious. I see plenty people around me with brand new cars, several holidays, expensive houses on mortgage and yes good jobs, however most spent it as quick as they earn and these lads will soon be back home with mammy and daddy on beans and toast whilst fighting repossession

Pessimistic by nature ha! Typical uninformed doom merchant.

why would there be tax increases or austerity?

This crisis is nothing to do with 2008 - ECB rate is -.75% so Irish government along with every other country will borrow and print money.

Germany only paid back their ww2 debt recently - we can do the same for a once in a lifetime (hopefully) global pandemic.

This crisis is nothing to do with 2008 - ECB rate is -.75% so Irish government along with every other country will borrow and print money.

Germany only paid back their ww2 debt recently - we can do the same for a once in a lifetime (hopefully) global pandemic.

Exactly - comparing this to 2008 is pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Does anyone honestly think that a normal foreign holiday experience is in anyway possible in the next 12 months, no way can I see it happening?

I agree completely with you. Governments appear to be saying that until there’s a vaccine some degree of social distancing will have to remain in place. Presumably that means the 2 metre rule. If that’s the case can someone please enlighten me how that’s going to work on a plane?
    It’s impossible so anyone who remotely thinks there’s going to be flights as normal anytime soon is deluded. It simply can’t happen if that rule exists.
    Does anyone honestly think that a normal foreign holiday experience is in anyway possible in the next 12 months, no way can I see it happening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Had to cancel a foreign wedding in June, would love an extension of travel restrictions so the 60 odd flights people booked could at least get something back.

No allowance or offer whatsoever from aer lingus or Ryanair currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The amount of businesses that are going bust and will never open their doors again is serious. Even if the direct covid cost is dealt with longterm there will be a serious budget deficit due to far greater unemployment etc.Everyone will be affected by how this deficit will be addressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

The amount of businesses that are going bust and will never open their doors again is serious. Even if the direct covid cost is dealt with longterm there will be a serious budget deficit due to far greater unemployment etc.Everyone will be affected by how this deficit will be addressed.

I agree but I don’t think it will be austerity and tax increases.

Also a lot of business will thrive after this - there will be winners and losers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

sdeG1ou.jpg

Vc8w2qs.jpg

So basically the plebs don't deserve to enjoy their lives and travel? Only the rich and enlightened deserve the privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Ryanair are selling Newcastle - Dublin fights for 8th May, are they hoping to make some money then cancel them? Surely there won't be flights that early?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭podge018

Ryanair have been flying into Ireland every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Myself and the family are thinking of going to Bulgaria picking strawberrys for a fortnight some sort of Exchange programme Ryanair are promoting !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The great thing is with the amount of people scared to travel it will keep numbers down and enable some form of distancing on travel.

I see wizz air are considering block off middle rows. Social distancing on air travel can be achieved with some inventive thinking and positivity.

Down with the doom merchants.

Life must go on and as alluded to on here. If all countryside can get up to a similar level of control there'll be less risk.

Hopefully the EU can at least arrange something

I'd say there'll be an attempt to get partial capacity up for July and August.

Simple fact of the matter is companies like Ryanair and aer lingus have built a business model around affordable fares, Ryanair especially.

If flights to and from Europe cost something like€200-400 then no one will fly and the company's go bust and the whole aviation industry goes to pot.

Anyone who thinks governments and companies will let it get that far needs to be examined.

Not sure what to think, low cost carrier Air Asia resumes domestic flights later this month.

https://www.fly4free.com/flight-deals/europe/airasia-announces-resumption-of-operations/

We need to get real and shut down travel for much longer, there should only be flights for goods and not people unless absolutely necessary.

This virus is going to come back with a vengeance..... If there is no cure which there isn't then people will let their Gaurd down and fall back into their old habits.....

If one has any type of decency or respect for others and especially the elderly and those with certain health issues and they would like to see them again and hope they can live out their retirement peacefully then stay where you are, you will have many other years to travel.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

We need to get real and shut down travel for much longer, there should only be flights for goods and not people unless absolutely necessary.

This virus is going to come back with a vengeance..... If there is no cure which there isn't then people will let their Gaurd down and fall back into their old habits.....

If one has any type of decency or respect for others and especially the elderly and those with certain health issues and they would like to see them again and hope they can live out their retirement peacefully then stay where you are, you will have many other years to travel.....

Not so much in terms of travel but we must soon some to a point where life has to go on to an extent and we live with this virus among us rather than hide from it

Gael23 wrote: »
    Not so much in terms of travel but we must soon some to a point where life has to go on to an extent and we live with this virus among us rather than hide from it

Don't even waste your time. He's part of the lock down everything forever brigade. There's no talking to them

How will blocking off the middle rows achieve a 2 metre distance between people? That’s nonsense as they’ve still the problem then of the left and right rows of seats. To achieve the 2 metre distance it would mean no one can sit beside anyone other than someone from the same household and every 4 or 5 rows would have to be empty.
    The great thing is with the amount of people scared to travel it will keep numbers down and enable some form of distancing on travel.

I see wizz air are considering block off middle rows. Social distancing on air travel can be achieved with some inventive thinking and positivity.

Down with the doom merchants.

Life must go on and as alluded to on here. If all countryside can get up to a similar level of control there'll be less risk.

Hopefully the EU can at least arrange something

I'd say there'll be an attempt to get partial capacity up for July and August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

johnire wrote: »
    How will blocking off the middle rows achieve a 2 metre distance between people? That’s nonsense as they’ve still the problem then of the left and right rows of seats. To achieve the 2 metre distance it would mean no one can sit beside anyone other than someone from the same household and every 4 or 5 rows would have to be empty.

And no cabin service either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

This may not be feasible, but it would be good if each country could first eradicate the virus in their country (maybe take 6 months). Less for some, more for others. Then make everyone take test in each airport before flying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

This may not be feasible, but it would be good if each country could first eradicate the virus in their country (maybe take 6 months). Less for some, more for others. Then make everyone take test in each airport before flying.

You're clearly a top level epidemiologist. Well done.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement