Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Delaney at the FAI Thread - (Mod Notes in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,947 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/john-delaney-says-nobody-cares-13675496

The great leader has spoken......"Nobody cares more for the LOI".

Needs poll. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Xavi didnt need HGH and was key to Barcelona and Spain's world cup win and is shorter than Messi.

Whether he needed it or not himself and everyone else in that barcelona team were on Dr. Fuentes' especial sporting elixir®©.
    He (Xavi) was also quite fond of using GF rich blood plasma injections in a bid to curb muscle strains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Whether he needed it or not himself and everyone else in that barcelona team were on Dr. Fuentes' especial sporting elixir®©.
    He (Xavi) was also quite fond of using GF rich blood plasma injections in a bid to curb muscle strains.

Scurrilous comments! Messi there was medical intervention. I alwys preferred Ronaldo myself anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Saw John D glad handing and talking absolute sh1te to various uefa heads outside the shelbourne earlier today

There’ll be some expenses bill for the last few days. John looked like he’d been on the sauce since Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/im-still-going-to-be-where-i-am-john-delaney-tells-supporters-groups-that-protests-wont-work-37606743.html

'I'm still going to be where I am' - John Delaney tells supporters groups that protests won't work

Wonder what would happen dear JD if the Aviva and away sections were empty???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/im-still-going-to-be-where-i-am-john-delaney-tells-supporters-groups-that-protests-wont-work-37606743.html

'I'm still going to be where I am' - John Delaney tells supporters groups that protests won't work

Wonder what would happen dear JD if the Aviva and away sections were empty???

Wont happen tho. A change of manager will have people showing up to see if(hope) things have improved. I reckon if the campaign gets off to a bad start and the crowds start falling off againthen the pressure will be heaped on JD. As for now i fear he is safe.

alta stare wrote: »
    Wont happen tho. A change of manager will have people showing up to see if(hope) things have improved. I reckon if the campaign gets off to a bad start and the crowds start falling off againthen the pressure will be heaped on JD. As for now i fear he is safe.

The man is playing a PR blinder. The very lads who were protesting against him were drinking pints with him later at this event. All he has to say now is....I tried, they are never happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

The man is playing a PR blinder. The very lads who were protesting against him were drinking pints with him later at this event. All he has to say now is....I tried, they are never happy.
    He actually has played a blinder with these appointments, he has basically guaranteed himself to be in situ for at least 4 more years before the natives (or enough of them anyway) get really restless again.

Making the appointments before the draw also meant he avoided all the hard questions at the event.

He is a politician not to be underestimated, the only way to get him out is to hit them in the pocket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,417 ✭✭✭secman

Having been an avid supporter for 35 plus years I am continuing my boycott and will not be going to games, I Will never contribute to Sepp Delaney's salary

Just a pity more folk don't follow suit, How many games would it take .. 2 empty stadiums and his reign would be over for sure.

secman wrote: »
    Having been an avid supporter for 35 plus years I am continuing my boycott and will not be going to games, I Will never contribute to Sepp Delaney's salary

Just a pity more folk don't follow suit, How many games would it take .. 2 empty stadiums and his reign would be over for sure.

Thats exactly the only way he will be beaten.....money speaks within the FAI.

The meeting in the pub was nothing other than an attempt by the FAI to divide and conquer. Get the fans fighting amongst themselves so JD can say....I tried speaking with them, they refused or we spoke but you cannot please them.....

The pressure is on him at the moment and he knows it. Otherwise you wouldnt have such an event happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

secman wrote: »

While I understand your decision I don't think I'd ever give it up. I did give up season ticket a few years ago and told the FAI why but I either bought singles on Ticketmaster or took work freebies and renewed again the following year.

You can't expect everyone to do the same thing. I've even read mention in the past of a mass exodus at a certain minute. I may or may not be interested in doing that but if someone got in my face to do it when the time came they'd be told in no uncertain terms to **** off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The meeting in the pub last week was harmless.A few people asked to it and most there to side with JD.

If he follows up on what he said there will be a proper meeting but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Collie D wrote: »
    While I understand your decision I don't think I'd ever give it up. I did give up season ticket a few years ago and told the FAI why but I either bought singles on Ticketmaster or took work freebies and renewed again the following year.

You can't expect everyone to do the same thing. I've even read mention in the past of a mass exodus at a certain minute. I may or may not be interested in doing that but if someone got in my face to do it when the time came they'd be told in no uncertain terms to **** off.

That is exactly it....and the FAI know that fans will never stay away. What may help is fans sitting out the first 30 minutes of games.....then entering the stadium with loud chants. People cant complain about whats going on and then do nothing to fix it. Fans have to stand together to get change....otherwise its as was.

yabadabado wrote: »
    The meeting in the pub last week was harmless.A few people asked to it and most there to side with JD.

If he follows up on what he said there will be a proper meeting but I wouldn't hold my breath.

There will be another meeting in early 2019, all part of his PR exercise, but again he will fill it with a majority he knows. At the end he will spin it....I tried and cant make them happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I wouldn't even class what went on Thursday as a meeting. It was a chat in a pub with less than 20 people.
    Half that time was spent talking about tickets.

If he does another one ,I dont think he will get it filled with his lackeys after what happened on Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

https://twitter.com/marktigheST/status/1107040222158770177

Mark Tighe

Verified account

@marktigheST
    Follow Follow @marktigheST
    More
    Just spent the last three hours in the High Court after John Delaney tried to get an emergency injunction to prevent us reporting on FAI and Delaney payments. The judge ruled in our favour! Story in @SunTimesIreland tomorrow. 🙂

Seems like Delaney loaned a hundred grand to the FAI to tide them over.

As Dan McD tweeted, it’s just as well the FAI pay him so well that he could afford to bail them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

So they get something like €15 million for playing at Euro 2016 and Delaney has to give a personal loan of 100k the following year. That makes a lot of sense. Also from memory the government gave the FAI a sports grant of around €2m in 2017.
    Something rotten to the core. A root and branch investigation needed now.

I have 100% confidence in anyone named Delaney involved in dodgy financial dealings at the FAI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

A root and branch investigation needed now.

Which is never gonna happen

Hopefully the Times has more to come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

JD will brush this off. He is a master of deflection. Unless there is more to come then i doubt anything will change.

Apparently not mentioned in the audited accounts.

May be a serious legal matter.

Teflon comes to mind when I read all this......he will distract from it somehow...

Some options are:
    1. Sack Mick before Wed. and appoint SK. Jurgen Klopp for the U21 job

2. Fans set him up...they walked into his office hit the table and insisted that he did it.

3. The accountant or lawyers said it was OK to do it....sure he didnt know any better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,000 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Anyone here know anything about accountancy

There probably are examples were a director . C.E - can take a loan and pay it back.

As he did ?

• Advertisement

Anyone here know anything about accountancy

There probably are examples were a director . C.E - can take a loan and pay it back.

As he did ?

But he didnt take a loan...he gave it. Or so he says....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,000 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

But he didnt take a loan...he gave it. Or so he says....

Yes you would give back a loan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Here os an extract that mulls over some of (but not nearly all) of the issues involved with this "loan"

"

The Companies Act (2014) - it is a hell of a book btw, I done the fe1 company exam and nearly through myself off of a bridge!!- introduced certain presumptions regarding loans to or by directors or connected persons. The presumptions are given effect during relevant proceedings i.e. civil proceedings in which it is claimed a loan has been made.

Loans made by directors or connected persons to a company or holding company:

The Act provides that if it is claimed that a director of the company or the company’s holding company (or a person connected with a director) has entered an arrangement that constitutes a loan to that company or its holding company, and the terms of the transaction either:

are not in writing, or
    are in writing, or partially in writing, but are ambiguous as to whether the transaction or arrangement constitutes a loan or not,
    then it shall be presumed, until the contrary is proved that the arrangement does not constitute a loan to the company or its holding company. The Act does not specify what the arrangement is if it is not a loan. It is thought however that the arrangement would be treated as a gift or a capital contribution to the company. This could have unforeseen tax implications for the director in question.

Where it is proved that the transaction does in fact constitute a loan but the terms as to interest or security are ambiguous then, depending on which terms are ambiguous:

the loan is deemed to bear no interest;
    the loan is presumed to not be secured; or
    where it is proved to be secured but the terms are ambiguous with regards to its priority, then it is deemed to be subordinate to all other debts of the company.

"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

A CEO isn’t a director.

Without even mentioning the loan, the fact they tried to block the information reaching the public would set off major alarm bells.

Something dodgy obviously gone on but like most things in this country there will be a carpet and a brush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,934 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A director is perfectly entitled to loan a company money. The company does not even have to pay it back if that is the condition of the loan. The loans must be registered in the accounts though.

The big concern here is how an organisation like the FAI even needed a mere €100,000 just to solve a cash flow problem.

That alone is extraordinary and would suggest serious incompetence and an organisation at serious financial risk.

• Advertisement

A CEO isn’t a director.

Without even mentioning the loan, the fact they tried to block the information reaching the public would set off major alarm bells.

Something dodgy obviously gone on but like most things in this country there will be a carpet and a brush.

I know that. But I envisage that both parties in their hierarchical administrative rokes would be under similar scrutiny regarding financial transactions, disclosed to a point or otherwise.

It is extremely extremely shady, even this own personal 160k Euro 2016 bonus "donation" to the FAI (or essentially to his chronies pockets) is so.

He is literally buying his role and securing his reappointments (obviously he still comes out top) but he knows how to play the minnions that are keeping him in, and they know that w/o such a shady overlord, things would not be as secure and rewarding for them also.

It is typical corrupt corporate governance that Ireland embraced in many a field for the last few decades. And it always comes back to bite.

It won;t be from the inside Delaney will meet his eventual demise, that is accepted now. He is essentially a dictator there. The chronies around him fear change more than he does.........he is already sorted for the rest of his life and beyond. He also will never step down, and has an outstanding level of shamelessness and brazenness. He literally doesn't give a f*ck. He has the impudency to be the face of all these controversies as he is unblushing whilst those "underneath" him cower inside the FAI headuarters and reap similarly shady rewards (although obviously not in the region of what he receives) .

Hopefully someone on the outside can catch him out. A personal tax issue here would be the best outcome as that both would hit him financially and given that such tax misfeasance was with a public governing body, his position would be untenable. But the guy is wily and probably has this avenue well covered,
    Maybe look beyond Delaney also, on a personal level. Delaney seems to have a lot of people's backs just as much as they have his. It's a circle of untruths.

The details are still very vague and sadly, like all the other controversies I have a feeling this will blow over soon enough.

Anyway well done Declan Rice.

You really stood up when your country needed you in those friendly defeats against half arsed Turkey and France and the heroic 2-1 victory over the first US team to miss WC qualification in over 30 years missing half its regular team and playing on the other side of the world where most of them were probably treating the trip to Oirrrrreland as an end of season "vacation"

Sure we all know that was the standard to base this award on, not game that actually meant something like Danish, Wales which he decided to opt out of. It just shows how bad that last year has been since that 5-1 2017 defeat.

And the award for a professional footballer that is young goes to.........................

Talk of a whistleblower in the Times....seems to have gone to a politician yesterday willing to dish dirt...bet JD wishes he appeared infront of the committee last month....

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/allegations-about-fai-handed-to-politician-v6znlkzh3?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1552897380

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Incredible that an organisation that gets millions in public funding has to find €100k for a cash flow shortfall. Plus the fact that Delaney just happens to have €100k sitting in his bank account shows us how overpaid he is. This story is just more evidence that the FAI is run for the benefit of Delaney and his cronies.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Incredible that an organisation that gets millions in public funding has to find €100k for a cash flow shortfall. Plus the fact that Delaney just happens to have €100k sitting in his bank account shows us how overpaid he is. This story is just more evidence that the FAI is run for the benefit of Delaney and his cronies.

Getting more and more interesting..... (I know its The Sun..)
    https://www.thesun.ie/news/3877949/fai-john-delaney-early-access/

If their aint enough money for day to day business and cash flow...maybe cutbacks are needed.....salaries too big maybe!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I know that. But I envisage that both parties in their hierarchical administrative rokes would be under similar scrutiny regarding financial transactions, disclosed to a point or otherwise.

It is extremely extremely shady, even this own personal 160k Euro 2016 bonus "donation" to the FAI (or essentially to his chronies pockets) is so.

He is literally buying his role and securing his reappointments (obviously he still comes out top) but he knows how to play the minnions that are keeping him in, and they know that w/o such a shady overlord, things would not be as secure and rewarding for them also.

It is typical corrupt corporate governance that Ireland embraced in many a field for the last few decades. And it always comes back to bite.

It won;t be from the inside Delaney will meet his eventual demise, that is accepted now. He is essentially a dictator there. The chronies around him fear change more than he does.........he is already sorted for the rest of his life and beyond. He also will never step down, and has an outstanding level of shamelessness and brazenness. He literally doesn't give a f*ck. He has the impudency to be the face of all these controversies as he is unblushing whilst those "underneath" him cower inside the FAI headuarters and reap similarly shady rewards (although obviously not in the region of what he receives) .

Hopefully someone on the outside can catch him out. A personal tax issue here would be the best outcome as that both would hit him financially and given that such tax misfeasance was with a public governing body, his position would be untenable. But the guy is wily and probably has this avenue well covered,
    Maybe look beyond Delaney also, on a personal level. Delaney seems to have a lot of people's backs just as much as they have his. It's a circle of untruths.

The details are still very vague and sadly, like all the other controversies I have a feeling this will blow over soon enough.
    It'll come from outside alright. Eventually JD will bite off too big a bite/not grease the right palm/someone from outside (revenue or a politician holding the purse strings) will pull the rug from under him. Too many cronies in the FAI owe him so it's unlikely to come from within.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Problem is even if he does get taken down he will inevitably be replaced by one of his own cronies who sees themselves as next in line and on it will go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Problem is even if he does get taken down he will inevitably be replaced by one of his own cronies who sees themselves as next in line and on it will go
    Is that the case though?

I haven't really been following them, but how has the Olympic Council (or what ever they are called) fared since Hickey was exposed/ousted? Has the corporate governance improved there? (I genuinely don't know, they have been keeping a very low profile since Rio).
    From the outside, there were certain commonalities between how the 1 organisations were headed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Any thoughts on who paid the legal fees for the challenge to the High Court on Saturday? Heard a figure of min 50K knocking around which begs all sorts of questions....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

kenco wrote: »
    Any thoughts on who paid the legal fees for the challenge to the High Court on Saturday? Heard a figure of min 50K knocking around which begs all sorts of questions....

The FAI I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Can't really understand what he gains from this but it must be something to it if he tried to stop an injunction.

If he was a director he could loan the money and charge interest but he's a CEO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,793 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The craic with JD has been going on far too long. An absolute disgrace that one man should be given so much power for so long in any walk of life and even worse when that same man get's paid such an obscene amount of money.
    Never mind all of the cloak and daggers stuff that continues to go on around the FAI.

This group get a significant amount of taxpayers money while at the same time benefit greatly from a significant amount of volunteerism on the ground yet we find that things are still getting hidden and attempts are made to keep the media quiet about goings on.
    Don't get me started on the state of Irish soccer in general - any positives are directly as a result of those that are working hard on the ground, not as a result of anything that the FAI have done to improve things.

Delany and the majority of the board need to be kicked and kicked ASAP - but I doubt it will happen. As we have seen elsewhere soccer administration is knee deep in sh1t and there's no onus on anyone to change things.

Unfortunate.

From RTE tonight: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/0318/1037158-fai-reiterate-bridging-loan-was-in-best-interests/

The FAI has reiterated that the €100,000 bridging loan they received from chief executive John Delaney "was made in the best interests" of the association.

Delaney previous confirmed that he gave a "bridging loan" to the association in April 2017 to help it through what he referred to as a short-term cash flow problem.

In a statement issued on behalf of Delaney, the FAI said that the money was repaid in full to the chief executive in June of that year. Delaney further added that the loan was "a matter of timing," and that it had no impact on the full financial position or performance of the FAI for the year.

The FAI has since released a separate statement on Monday, reiterating that the loan was given during a time when the association was experiencing a short-term cash flow issue.

An FAI spokesman said: "The FAI is currently undertaking a full review of its executive governance and senior management structures.

"This review will be completed and all actions approved by early April when a full press conference will be held to reveal all outcomes.

"In the meantime, the association reiterates that the bridging loan was made in the best interests of the FAI in 2017 when it experienced a short-term cash flow issue.

"The Board of the FAI has been kept fully informed in relation to this matter at all times."

Surely the CEO could tell his employees what to publically say and even more an internal review with him in office wont bring much. A review is needed when himself and his mates are out of Abbotstown for a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Should of held back this story for another couple of weeks, would of been a perfect April fool's.
    This is the biggest heap of ****e I have ever heard.
    Embarrassment for the country.
    Hopefully the truth will get out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

kenco wrote: »

The league of Ireland and the clubs. Maybe not directly but that where it'll come from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Too many cronies in the FAI owe him so it's unlikely to come from within.

One less it would seem.

https://twitter.com/thetimesIE/status/1107574961902968833

The league of Ireland and the clubs. Maybe not directly but that where it'll come from.

Indeed. There has to be more questions around why this was attempted. I can't see how the state should allow the FAI conduct their own investigation into this.
    Time to call in these guys:
    http://www.odce.ie/MobileHome.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Any ideas what supporters could do to fix the corrupt FAI problem . Marches , Strike ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

dreamers75 wrote: »

Oh hell yes.

• Advertisement

Any ideas what supporters could do to fix the corrupt FAI problem . Marches , Strike ?

Contact their local politicians.
    Do not attend any further Ireland matches.
    Withdraw any volunteer services.

Advertisement