Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Presidential Election 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

KH's record as a prosecutor may come against her. She really doesn't bring any voting cohort with her. A VP should be able to, seal the deal, on getting the POTUS elected. That's the first and most important task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,066 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Inquitus wrote: »
    I don't see how it will end up being anyone but Kamala Harris to be honest, she's a woman, a senator, black, ticks all the boxes, experienced and should be ready to step in should anything befall Joe.

I've said before she's the more perfect fit for his Attorney General.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Inquitus wrote: »
    I don't see how it will end up being anyone but Kamala Harris to be honest, she's a woman, a senator, black, ticks all the boxes, experienced and should be ready to step in should anything befall Joe.

Im hoping its Kamala myself as Ive a few quid on her. But if it is not I wont be terribly surprised as she doesnt bring a state with her given California is solidly Democratic. She does have lots of the other required attributes though and Id think she would make a very strong VP.

Does anyone know much about Joes wife Jill? I know she was second lady when he was VP but I never really remember her standing out on anything, perhaps because she was largely in Michelle Obamas shadow. What sort of first lady might she expected to be, the activist type like Michelle or the arm candy type like Melania.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Overheal wrote: »
    I've said before she's the more perfect fit for his Attorney General.

She would.

But I really want to see her as VP. She’d cause any number or bigots to blow the stack.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Im hoping its Kamala myself as Ive a few quid on her. But if it is not I wont be terribly surprised as she doesnt bring a state with her given California is solidly Democratic. She does have lots of the other required attributes though and Id think she would make a very strong VP.

Does anyone know much about Joes wife Jill? I know she was second lady when he was VP but I never really remember her standing out on anything, perhaps because she was largely in Michelle Obamas shadow. What sort of first lady might she expected to be, the activist type like Michelle or the arm candy type like Melania.

The woman is close to a saint. She had a PhD in English and taught for most of her adult life. I’d say she’ll invest her time in literacy programs.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    She would.

But I really want to see her as VP. She’d cause any number or bigots to blow the stack.

All bets are off still. I don't think Biden will tip his hand until the convention. 4 weeks to go.

One thing I'm wondering is if Trump will drop Pence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,362 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I doubt it. Pence was part of the ticket last time to give evangelicals cover to vote for trump when he clearly hadn’t /and still doesn’t any qualities that line up with that group.

And I know some say it’s overblown but it’s highly likely that there are trump voters who won’t public ally admit they will vote for Trump(can’t blame them) to pollsters but will vote for him. Yes Biden is further ahead of trump than Clinton was at this point last time but polls don’t replace actual votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Where did his silly rumor start? Trump is near dead right now and the only base he is hanging onto is the social conservatives religious right...so dropping pence would be at best a high risk call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,128 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Where did his silly rumor start? Trump is near dead right now and the only base he is hanging onto is the social conservatives religious right...so dropping pence would be at best a high risk call.

The rumour started when he put pence front and centre of the covid response, with the expectation that if it all went belly up, Pence would get it.

In addition, if Trump does finally get his numbers are bad, he isn't going to accept that he is to blame. "There's only one other name on the ticket, so it must be his fault"

everlast75 wrote: »
    The rumour started when he put pence front and centre of the covid response, with the expectation that if it all went belly up, Pence would get it.

In addition, if Trump does finally get his numbers are bad, he isn't going to accept that he is to blame. "There's only one other name on the ticket, so it must be his fault"

Its gone belly up for sure , but Trump has spent last few months on a victory lap somehow so letting Pence go does seem contradictory.

I don't really see the electoral advantage of replacing Pence with someone like Haley. I think the suburbs are pretty much gone right now, so if trump wants to win he has to hope his base turn out in droves. Its obviously a high risk strategy but not many others left.

Haley also is not that popular with the Trump base, Tucker pretty much every week gets a dig in against her and I am sure she is probably thinking if the ship is going down in November, keep her head down and rally herself for 2024.

Also and I don't like Pence, but he is not dumb and he knows the reason America have failed covid is largely down to Trump not him,,,so would he keep quiet if he was made a sacrificial lamb?

Hugely unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

All bets are off still. I don't think Biden will tip his hand until the convention. 4 weeks to go.

The VP picked has been flagged as August 1st, next Saturday. At least I hope it happens then, the suspense is killing me
    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    And I know some say it’s overblown but it’s highly likely that there are trump voters who won’t public ally admit they will vote for Trump(can’t blame them) to pollsters but will vote for him. Yes Biden is further ahead of trump than Clinton was at this point last time but polls don’t replace actual votes.

Known as the Shy Tory effect in polling after about 3% of Tory voters in the 1992 general election lied to pollsters on who they intended to vote for. Its even seen in exit polls right outside polling stations where a small percentage of voters tell pollsters they voted Labour but they actually voted Tory. Its said to be more prominent in telephone and face to face polls and not as prominent in online polls. Pollsters try to account for it by adjusting their final figures but they don't always get it right.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The VP picked has been flagged as August 1st, next Saturday. At least I hope it happens then, the suspense is killing me

Known as the Shy Tory effect in polling after about 3% of Tory voters in the 1992 general election lied to pollsters on who they intended to vote for. Its even seen in exit polls right outside polling stations where a small percentage of voters tell pollsters they voted Labour but they actually voted Tory. Its said to be more prominent in telephone and face to face polls and not as prominent in online polls. Pollsters try to account for it by adjusting their final figures but they don't always get it right.

Defo some silent Trump voters, but the most brutal polls for Trump atm are Fox ones so you'd assume their can't be that many lying in those?

I think and I could be wrong here (what's new:D) don't they have a good reputation for accuracy?

Trump could still replace Pence. Yes, he’s said he wouldn’t, but that even makes it more likely he would. Just thinking about how they were emphatic the convention was absolutely for definite happening no matter what- nevermind folks it’s going to be beautiful in florid- well, Jacksonville will let us so were doing it outdoors- actually you know what nevermind.

Nothing is ever off the table or bolted to the table with Trump. He could pull another John McCain moment and bring out a VP pick that’s meant to erode swing voters from the Democrats. Palin was picked first and foremost because Hillary wasn’t, and Joe Biden was.

The obvious problem for Trump picking a far more popular Vice President though is then there would be far less hesitation to impeach him :D but he’d still do more damage to the Supreme Court etc. before all of that. And I honestly am not sure Trump wants to share a stage with anyone, with Fauci you see that anyone who is more popular then the President himself gets pushed out.

I know that joe Biden has said there a four names on his VP list but we don't know who but it's a long shot and likely not happening but imagine if he picked Michelle Obama as his VP. Again, I very much doubt he'd pick her and I've not heard her name on the list and if he did it would rub some the wrong way but imagine her against mike pence ?

Pence is nobody in this administration though. And I don’t think Michelle is interested in office and likely won’t be while her daughters are minors at the very least. She’s gone on record has saying she has no real passion for politics much less want of the office, and that it was being married to Obama who dragged her ‘kicking and screaming into that arena’ that has made her as political as she is. She feels like she’d just be the optics-centric popular woman pick.

Pence is nobody in this administration though. And I don’t think Michelle is interested in office and likely won’t be while her daughters are minors at the very least. She’s gone on record has saying she has no real passion for politics much less want of the office, and that it was being married to Obama who dragged her ‘kicking and screaming into that arena’ that has made her as political as she is. She feels like she’d just be the optics-centric popular woman pick.

Well you have to admire her honesty as that's a far from a political answer as you can get. But to a role she wasn't very enthusiastic about she certainly grew into the role. From what ive heard of Dr. Jill Biden she comes across as a warm person who will be a superb First Lady IF her husband becomes president.

• Advertisement

I think MOB is being a little coy in saying she wasn't that interested in politics.
    No she will not run as VP though.

OK, can we name a short list;
    Kamela Harris
    Gretchen Whitmer
    Rashida Tlaib

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Given the (often racial) abuse and insult brought upon her and her daughters during the Obama presidency, I really have a hard time believing Michelle would ever entertain any return to that sphere of public life.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Water John wrote: »
    I think MOB is being a little coy in saying she wasn't that interested in politics.
    No she will not run as VP though.

OK, can we name a short list;
    Kamela Harris
    Gretchen Whitmer
    Rashida Tlaib

Val Demings is another possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Susan Rice must surely be on a list?

On a related note, why is Stacy Abrams no longer mentioned as a VP contender?

Kamela Harris Sen Calif
    Gretchen Whitmer Govn'r Michigan
    Rashida Tlaib Reps Michigan
    Val Demmings Reps Florida
    Susan Rice Former Amb UN
    Stacey Abrams House of Reps Georgia
    Kiesa L Bottoms Mayor Atlanta

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Harris for VP also means she vacated her senate seat, requiring an election; so from a tactical point of view for the democrats, is there a risk then of them losing the race to fill that seat?

• Advertisement

Not in California.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,827 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

pixelburp wrote: »
    Harris for VP also means she vacated her senate seat, requiring an election; so from a tactical point of view for the democrats, is there a risk then of them losing the race to fill that seat?

Special election for the remainder of her term. Solid Democratic seat. Replacement named by governor until the special election.

Also governor of New Mexico Michelle Lujan Grisham, who is Hispanic. One of many possibilities including Senator Duckworth the disabled veteran

Kamela Harris Sen Calif
    Susan Rice Former Amb UN
    Michelle Grisham Govn'r New Mexico
    Tammy Duckworth Sen Illinois

Kamela Harris Sen Calif
    Susan Rice Former Amb UN
    Michelle Grisham Govn'r New Mexico
    Tammy Duckworth Sen Illinois

I think governor Whitmer isn't in the running because as good as she is she is white and unless it's changed the push is towards a woman of colour.

I don't see kamala Harris as getting the nod as I think given her prosecutor backround she'd be a superb AG. Although things she did in California seem to keep following her.

Val demmings would be the favourite for me because of her law enforcement backround and in the wake of the George floyd killing it may Play well with voters to have her as Vice President.

Senator duckworth has come into focus in a good way because of tucker Carlson going after her patriotism.

The thing that needs to be always remembered is the Vice President of the United States is expected should it needed to step into the position of president so that will play a role in the decision. And although it's only be rumoured about Biden only serving one term, if he does only serve one term his VP would be the obvious democratic candidate so there's that to think about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,627 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I think governor Whitmer isn't in the running because as good as she is she is white and unless it's changed the push is towards a woman of colour.

I don't see kamala Harris as getting the nod as I think given her prosecutor backround she'd be a superb AG. Although things she did in California seem to keep following her.

Val demmings would be the favourite for me because of her law enforcement backround and in the wake of the George floyd killing it may Play well with voters to have her as Vice President.

Senator duckworth has come into focus in a good way because of tucker Carlson going after her patriotism.

The thing that needs to be always remembered is the Vice President of the United States is expected should it needed to step into the position of president so that will play a role in the decision. And although it's only be rumoured about Biden only serving one term, if he dies only serve one term his VP would be the obvious democratic candidate so there's that to think about.
    With Trumps new campaign to make him the law and order president and Biden anarchy choice would actually disappear overnight with Val Demings appointment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭paul71

Igotadose wrote: »
    Special election for the remainder of her term. Solid Democratic seat. Replacement named by governor until the special election.

Also governor of New Mexico Michelle Lujan Grisham, who is Hispanic. One of many possibilities including Senator Duckworth the disabled veteran

Is Duckworth the veteran Helo pilot who lost her legs in combat and was called a coward by a Republican Senator.

Yeah

paul71 wrote: »
    Is Duckworth the veteran Helo pilot who lost her legs in combat and was called a coward by a Republican Senator.

Yes.

Yes.

Saw it a few days ago and thought just Wow.....

A hero called a coward by a guy who supports heelspur.

But I suppose she's a loser in Trump's opinion for getting hit, like McCain for getting captured.

But I suppose she's a loser in Trump's opinion for getting hit, like McCain for getting captured.

And yet Lindsay graham who was one of John McCains best friends is a lackey of the guy who diminished McCains military career. Has senator graham a spine ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I see from Wikipedia she was born in Thailand, my rudimentary understanding of the rules is the president must be born in America. Would this preclude her from being VP?

salmocab wrote: »
    I see from Wikipedia she was born in Thailand, my rudimentary understanding of the rules is the president must be born in America. Would this preclude her from being VP?

Was she born to a us citizen ? That would make her eligible.

salmocab wrote: »

I dont know. I know the elected president must be born in the US (personally think thats plain daft) but I dont know if the same rule applies to VP and someone succeeding to a vacated presidency does not necessarily need to qualify in the same way as being elected (look up 3 terms presidencies).

I dont know. I know the elected president must be born in the US (personally think thats plain daft) but I dont know if the same rule applies to VP and someone succeeding to a vacated presidency does not necessarily need to qualify in the same way as being elected (look up 3 terms presidencies).

The us president must be a natural born citizen of the United States. John McCain wasn't born in the continental United States but was eligible to run for president.

• Advertisement

The us president must be a natural born citizen of the United States. John McCain wasn't born in the continental United States but was eligible to run for president.

Ok I got ya, I see the distinction, so the entire birther thing was BS from the start anyway.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

And yet Lindsay graham who was one of John McCains best friends is a lackey of the guy who diminished McCains military career. Has senator graham a spine ?

The RVAT have a Great Ad running attacking Lindsey Graham and trump using Lindsey Grahams own words

The RVAT have a Great Ad running attacking Lindsey Graham and trump using Lindsey Grahams own words

It has the chance to be a loss for Graham, but I'm not hopeful. I want him gone. Had a nice phone chat with someone from Tim Scott's office after I suggested via email he push an amendment to axe the prison labor except for slavery; I don't agree with Scott on many things but I don't see him as part of the problem with the GOP by a mile. Graham however has to go.

Trump is insanely reliant on the social conservatives for November and Pence is their guy. If he were to be replaced it would need to be someone not been discussed. Nikki Haley the supposed other choice is considered by the Trump base to be a "rino" so yeah its Pence unless his health fails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

And Ted Cruz was born in Canada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,277 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Trump is insanely reliant on the social conservatives for November and Pence is their guy. If he were to be replaced it would need to be someone not been discussed. Nikki Haley the supposed other choice is considered by the Trump base to be a "rino" so yeah its Pence unless his health fails.

I keep hearing Pence is their guy, what has pence actually done for them? Or are they just happy enough with trump filling the Supreme Court with conservative judges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,827 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

MadYaker wrote: »
    I keep hearing Pence is their guy, what has pence actually done for them? Or are they just happy enough with trump filling the Supreme Court with conservative judges.

Federal Judges too, including a number graded by the ABA as 'not qualified.' Really scary things the compliant tGOP and the #IMPOTUS have done. If the Judge is a legitimate judge, e.g., Scalia, o.k. I'll disagree with his positions but have some expectation that he's doing things within the law. When it's some arseclown like James Van Dyke I know America's degree of f*cked-ness due to the #IMPOTUS just went up. These are very powerful judges, not USSC Judges perhaps, but powerful nevertheless. And Van Dyke's just one example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Igotadose wrote: »
    When it's some arseclown like James Van Dyke
    From that article, the ABA said about Van Dyke that he was:
    arrogant, lazy, an ideologue, and lacking in knowledge
    Apart from the ideologue bit, does that assessment remind you of anyone else? ;)

With John Lewis's funeral on Thurs, Dems won't do any thing to do with election until next week.

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »

The issue some on the Trump right have with the judges yes they are conservative, but they feel they are more lefty on social issues than economic where they nearly always side with big business.

Mitch doesn't give a **** about gay marriage, abortion instead he wants to keep the wealthy donors happy by appointing judges who vote with them.

Their has been rulings recently where their has been grumblings about these judges, so if Pence was shunted for someone like Hailey,,,**** would hit the fan.

They wouldn't become dem's overnight, but turnout would be depressed enough to ensure a landslide for Biden.

Trump needs to pander to the social conservatives, because its to late and he is not clever enough to woo many other bases.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement