Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Ironman 70.3 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Beast of the east went down Lough Tay in 2014. Climbed up to sally gap from Anamoe direction and then turned back towards Roundwood the same way this is planned. I used a road bike that day and even on the day I thought I should have used a TT bike, I didn't gain a huge amount on the uphills and the TT bikes pulled away once it leveled out or started to drop. That descent was a bit twitchy but apart from that it would have been grand on a tt bike. I'd say the route back from Roundwood will be fast on a TT bike and any time you lose on the climb will be made back.

I'd like to do this course but won't fit in next year. If is does go full distance on a course like this in 2019 I could be tempted.

edited to add I'm crap at descending and I'd be looking at a TT bike for that route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Thats a great looking bike route, tough but shows off one of the best parts of Ireland. I like the run route along the shore too, and straight into the sea for a cool down.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

The bike and run sections are a vast improvement on previous editions imo. Im familiar with most of the bike section....for those in the know though is the surface (not cheap) carbon wheel friendly?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

The bike and run sections are a vast improvement on previous editions imo. Im familiar with most of the bike section....for those in the know though is the surface (not cheap) carbon wheel friendly?

Surfaces are fine, although a lot of the route up around the Sally Gap was resurfaced this year by Wicklow CC with their usual crap surface but it's bedded in by now, once they don't get it into their heads to resurface any parts of it again next year it's a nice route surface wise. I'm amazed they've managed to get road closures on this route or are confident of doing so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Seanie_H wrote: »
    Full distance will go ahead in 2019

Where did you see this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

zico10 wrote: »
    Where did you see this?

Zico’s qualifying race for 2019?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Zico’s qualifying race for 2019?

That wasn't what I was thinking, I was merely curious. But if the full was still in August, it would be a bit too close to Kona for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

Christ that bike course looks hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jrkb

That's a class looking bike course tough but lots of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

I just created the route on strava, I think i'll give it a go soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

The cynic in me says this is the route they promised in year one to sell entries before changing to a crap bike course. You'd really hope they don't pull the same trick again.

However if this is the route used next year, this race has suddenly become very tempting, even at the IM premium price.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

heard rumblings the full is going ahead but not in the dublin area. only scuttlebutt at the moment but with so many different theories going around it usually points at nothing, is something was happening the rumours would be a bit more focused

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

joey100 wrote: »
    I'd say the route back from Roundwood will be fast on a TT bike and any time you lose on the climb will be made back.
    It's the back road out of Roundwood, so Annacarter Cross - Ballinastoe - Old Long Hill (and then the climb back up to Enniskerry). It's a good bit lumpier than the main road.
    Statler wrote: »
    Surfaces are fine, although a lot of the route up around the Sally Gap was resurfaced this year by Wicklow CC with their usual crap surface but it's bedded in by now, once they don't get it into their heads to resurface any parts of it again next year it's a nice route surface wise. I'm amazed they've managed to get road closures on this route or are confident of doing so...
    Some of the back roads from Lough Tay on the loop around the back of Roundwood wouldn't be great tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

TI plugging this with priority entry emails gone out to members now

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭WicklowTiger

Interesting the name change from Dublin to Dun Laoghaire. Why would they do that? Something else in the pipeline for Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

I know those roads pretty well and I think I'd be much happier on a road bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Interesting the name change from Dublin to Dun Laoghaire. Why would they do that? Something else in the pipeline for Dublin?

Pope-Con-2018

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Grassey wrote: »
    Pope-Con-2018
    More like Hurling-Con-2018

IMDL 2018 is the same day as the All Ireland Hurling final
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_All-Ireland_Senior_Hurling_Championship#All-Ireland_final

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭WicklowTiger

Shedite27 wrote: »
    More like Hurling-Con-2018

IMDL 2018 is the same day as the All Ireland Hurling final
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_All-Ireland_Senior_Hurling_Championship#All-Ireland_final

what have any of these got to do with the name of a race?

Well presumably as dun laoighaire is now the only Dublin council involved they can take all the credit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rxchxy

I recall seeing the cut off times for each leg on the IM70.3 Dublin page but that now seems to have been taken offline. Is it an hour for the swim, four and a half hours for the bike and two and a half for the run?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Redial

mossym wrote: »
    heard rumblings the full is going ahead but not in the dublin area. only scuttlebutt at the moment but with so many different theories going around it usually points at nothing, is something was happening the rumours would be a bit more focused

Heard a few months ago that there were discussions and presentations to a local council for a full distance outside of Dublin starting in 2019. The proposal received further backing after discussions in early September. The popularity of the branded half must make Ireland very attractive for the company. Time will tell.

I've heard rumbling about an IM Youghal in 2019

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Redial wrote: »
    Heard a few months ago that there were discussions and presentations to a local council for a full distance outside of Dublin starting in 2019. The proposal received further backing after discussions in early September. .
    Grassey wrote: »

yeah, that's similar to what i heard, cork based full IM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Milk_Tray wrote: »

Could you share a link if you get a chance?!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

rxchxy wrote: »
    I recall seeing the cut off times for each leg on the IM70.3 Dublin page but that now seems to have been taken offline. Is it an hour for the swim, four and a half hours for the bike and two and a half for the run?

1:10 - swim
    5:30 - swim + T1 + bike
    8:30 finish

IM Dublin is now down as 'disontinued'
    http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman-70.3/dublin.aspx#axzz4y8AvcbCB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Originally Posted by Redial viewpost.gif
    Heard a few months ago that there were discussions and presentations to a local council for a full distance outside of Dublin starting in 2019. The proposal received further backing after discussions in early September. .
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Grassey viewpost.gif

yeah, that's similar to what i heard, cork based full IM

I would think that its very unlikely that ironman would have 2 races in Ireland based on population numbers and catchment area ( ie very small and ironman wales so close and not selling out )

just my 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Milk_Tray wrote: »

I would also be interested in this link

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Redial

peter kern wrote: »
    I would think that its very unlikely that ironman would have 2 races in Ireland based on population numbers and catchment area ( ie very small and ironman wales so close and not selling out )

just my 2 cents

As a company, they'd be crazy not to consider it. If my dates are correct, interest appears to be dropping for the half over the past few years based on the sellout dates. I'm not sure what the magic number is to stay reasonably profitable. You'd have to assume that there's a window to convert those half people for a branded full before getting out of dodge.

I'd love to know what the percentage of participants is that did Dublin in the past 3 years where it was their first middle distance race. I bet it's high and this number could be a significant input in to a decision to run a branded full. Also love to see the population to participants ratios that go to Barcelona etc. from Ireland for a full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Redial wrote: »
    I'd love to know what the percentage of participants is that did Dublin in the past 3 years where it was their first middle distance race. I bet it's high and this number could be a significant input in to a decision to run a branded full.
    Definitely a significant number in my club. And interestingly was talking to one of those from this year who said they'd start looking at unbranded halves now they have done a branded one.

I haven't done the distance, but have no interest in supporting the brand tbh, but that bike course has me tempted, especially as I live on the route. However, I would be skeptical it will go ahead on that exact route - shutting down Roundwood, on a Sunday, in peak summer/ tourist time? Hard to see there not being some resistance given there is no real benefit and only costs tbh.

Advertisement