Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland's Cheating Triathletes - Kilkee Draftfest. What to do?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

No it will be one day event again.

That's unfortunate. I'll have to look farther afield.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    That's unfortunate. I'll have to look farther afield.

just do the double olympic, it's on in the morning..:)

mossym wrote: »
    just do the double olympic, it's on in the morning..:)

Haha I'd be afraid I'd still be going come the evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

A post from a Motorcycle Official on TI's site:

As an MO, I have come across situations that on the face of it would seem to command a penalty, but there is the 30 second rule which many avail of to just about get away with drafting. Congregating groups are a major concern but bunching can happen, particularly on hilly courses like kilkee. Those stuck in the middle often cant barge out without a possible crash. Safety first at all times. Also, the MO's are nt everywher all the time and can only cover so much ground on a rotating basis, so it really is up to athletes themselves to enforce the rules on themselves and by default, on those that may be drafting them. its an unfortunate development and I too am glad to be getting some clarity on how much the rules are to be enforced. There can be extenuating circumstances that lead to technical drafting issues and sometimes thes get overlooked in favour of safety considerations e.g. not forcing a group break up when road or traffic conditions are adverse and where such a command would give rise to jostling and possible collisions or spreading of group across the road. There are often situaions like that, particularly among the middle time group (who are the biggest portion of most races I have been at). It s not always cut and dry regarding drafting, and an MO's view can be significantly different from a static marshal and even other competitors.Clarity on the issue would be helpful as would a more professional and fair approach from competitors. All competitors knoow the rules, so why do so many try to flaut them? I believe a change in attitude to the sport in needed involving a collective disapproval of unfair behavior by fellow competitors just as much as enforcement. If fair play relies just on a police state type rule enforcement, then I think something needs to change urgently in this sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Name and shame, a weekly email from TI on who was caught drafting. And maybe if caught at x number of events then you get banned for a month/2 months etc with no refund of fees paid for any races in that period. It might turn them away from triathlon but i dont see that as a problem, there seems to be more of a benefit in drafting than PEDs and as such i think it should be treated along those lines!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

A couple of official "secret shoppers" on the bike route :)

I could have handed in to TI any amount of numbers of drafters, perhaps a better cyclist than me would be needed though as I often wouldnt be good enough to re-catch a pack. Would stop their tendancy to break up if they hear the drone of a motorbike coming alongside them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Ah right so the TI line is "its the athlete's fault"?

Its not just the middle of the pack its the front too in races. Man up and do people when they are drafting, and make the penalties hurt.

Last duathlon I did in Ireland, I finished 8th (I think) top 7 rode as a pack for the entire bike. Think it was a 1 minute penalty. At the very least should have been a 1 minute penalty every time they are seen.

Another duathlon I did came 4th, top three rode as a TTT, cut the course as well, and got a minute penalty as well.

Why ride legal when you KNOW the rules aren't enforced at all and that no one really gives a sh1t?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Nwm2 wrote: »
    A post from a Motorcycle Official on TI's site:

As an MO, I have come across situations that on the face of it would seem to command a penalty, but there is the 30 second rule which many avail of to just about get away with drafting.

There's half our problem....

Isn't the rule 20 seconds to overtake?

And more importantly, once overtaken you've 5 seconds to get back out of draft.
    this is blatantly being ignored in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Fazz wrote: »
    There's half our problem....

Isn't the rule 20 seconds to overtake?

And more importantly, once overtaken you've 5 seconds to get back out of draft.
    this is blatantly being ignored in my experience.

IM style drafting rule is better IMHO

If you entered the draft zone you MUST overtake in 20 seconds or you get done. You cannot drop back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

Update from Athlone:

I think things went a lot better in Athlone. Others would need to confirm this, but I was a lot happier. The reasons:

1. Not the most important reason for Athlone, but maybe the most significant for the long term, but it looked like the draft marshalls were much stricter. I talked to a few guys immediately after the race and about 3 of them told me they got 1 min penalties. That unscientific survey cheered my up no end. Bravo to TI. I didn't hear the race briefing, so was it emphasized in any different way? However, these cheating bastards still only got a 1 min penalty as far as I can make out. Not enough to do serious damage to their race.

2. There was no big headwind unlike Kilkee, so the temptation wasn't as bad.

3. Unlike Kilkee there was lots and lots and lots of waves, which made the roads much less busy.

In summary, well done TI & marshalls, keep it up and double or triple the penalties at least!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

I had 1 dirtbag on my tail for the from 2k-5k.

Was waiting for him to pass me and get his number but a motorbike TI yellow carded him, then he had the gaul to argue with the official !! Should have done him again.

Needless to say he dropped off and didnt have the neck or ability to pass me after that. I had a mini mech at the start of the bike that got me for 3-4mins so was distgusted when this lowlife started towing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

Nwm2 wrote: »
    Update from Athlone:

I think things went a lot better in Athlone. Others would need to confirm this, but I was a lot happier. The reasons:

1. Not the most important reason for Athlone, but maybe the most significant for the long term, but it looked like the draft marshalls were much stricter. I talked to a few guys immediately after the race and about 3 of them told me they got 1 min penalties. That unscientific survey cheered my up no end. Bravo to TI. I didn't hear the race briefing, so was it emphasized in any different way? However, these cheating bastards still only got a 1 min penalty as far as I can make out. Not enough to do serious damage to their race.

2. There was no big headwind unlike Kilkee, so the temptation wasn't as bad.

3. Unlike Kilkee there was lots and lots and lots of waves, which made the roads much less busy.

In summary, well done TI & marshalls, keep it up and double or triple the penalties at least!

At the Pikeman in Rosslare no sign of any drafting from what I saw, again as Athlone not much wind and plenty of room on the road, but also think the fact that it is being much talked about helps (online discussions was mentioned in briefing!!)

mrbungle wrote: »
    I had 1 dirtbag on my tail for the from 2k-5k.

Was waiting for him to pass me and get his number but a motorbike TI yellow carded him, then he had the gaul to argue with the official !! Should have done him again.

Needless to say he dropped off and didnt have the neck or ability to pass me after that. I had a mini mech at the start of the bike that got me for 3-4mins so was distgusted when this lowlife started towing me.

I had one sucking my back wheel aswell pissed me off so much I sat up and let him on. Passed him another 500M down the road for the same situation to occur again.. No real head wind but an annoying breeze on the way out nice spin on the way back though with a fast run into transition, which would've been faster but for the speed bumps.. loved those :rolleyes:

TI officials were workin for their bonus at this one. I've never heard them so vocal and organised. Great event though and a nice close run route through the town beer gardens cheering or possibly slagging athletes. :D

Definitely one for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

It was a great participation race this year much better than the previous years me thinks.
    and when the full swim is on its a great venue.
    The junior race was class and a lot of work went into that race.Very profesional i have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭NorthernRaider

Was talking to a friend who did the 'Two Provinces' tri today. He mentioned that the trains were back and affected some of the top positions, yet seemingly no drafting penalties were applied. He was rightly pretty annoyed! I realize that these trains can develop somewhat organically (and some might be there inadvertently), but the motorcycle officials simply have to be more pro-active! If not, what can we do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭griffin100

Was talking to a friend who did the 'Two Provinces' tri today. He mentioned that the trains were back and affected some of the top positions, yet seemingly no drafting penalties were applied. He was rightly pretty annoyed! I realize that these trains can develop somewhat organically (and some might be there inadvertently), but the motorcycle officials simply have to be more pro-active! If not, what can we do?

Does every TI sanctioned race have to have motorbike marshals? I certainly seen none at the Pikeman last week (where there was no drafting that I could see).

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

griffin100 wrote: »
    Does every TI sanctioned race have to have motorbike marshals? I certainly seen none at the Pikeman last week (where there was no drafting that I could see).

No. Just NS

Don't think so, but why couldn't the point marshals be so empowered, assuming they've sufficient visibility?

It was interesting watching iron man cairns 2nd place lad was penalised fir draughting leader. 4 min stop and wait penalty. No waiting around till transition either. They weren't allowed pass yhe next time penalty box.

You could use fixed position marshals for draft busting but it could be hard to judge how long someone was in the draft zone if they happen to be overtaking when passing you. Also these marshals are usually there for safety reasons, draft busting would have to be secondary to their other jobs I would think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Lots of blatant drafting on evidence today. I saw quite a few club mates helping each other along. Stupid thing to do if you're a midpacker, you're only fooling yourself. However, when its up among the prizes... saw the leader on his bike return, with a sizeable lead over 2,3,4. Couldn't tell you the gap between each of 2,3,4, since I can't estimate to the tenth of a second. Plenty of others doing similar in the top 20. That's not sporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭billy121

Had close to 40-50 sec's over the chasing "peleton" today on the bike entering T2, tried my best but got zapped in the last km on the run as I worked on my own on the bike so legs were tired. Drafting at every race I have competed at this summer, this is a joke!

billy121 wrote: »
    Had close to 40-50 sec's over the chasing "peleton" today on the bike entering T2, tried my best but got zapped in the last km on the run as I worked on my own on the bike so legs were tired. Drafting at every race I have competed at this summer, this is a joke!

That picture could, albeit not necessarily, suggest that Bill McCormack (and possibly many others) have good reason to be angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Most of them have their feet out of their shoes. They are obviously not very far from transition, where it is acceptable to enter a draft zone. Like the other photos in this thread, it is unfair to the competitors pictured that you've posted them here, as they tell absolutely nothing about how the bunching came about. Well your photo actually tells a lot as they are clearly either coming out of or entering transition, and the feet out of shoes actually works in the athletes' defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

zico10 wrote: »
    Most of them have their feet out of their shoes. They are obviously not very far from transition, where it is acceptable to enter a draft zone. Like the other photos in this thread, it is unfair to the competitors pictured that you've posted them here, as they tell absolutely nothing about how the bunching came about. Well your photo actually tells a lot as they are clearly either coming out of or entering transition, and the feet out of shoes actually works in the athletes' defence.

I agree with Zicos point here. A single photo does not tell the whole story and cannot be used as evidence of drafting. This photo is taken <300m from dismount and before a 90degree right turn. Bunching is to be expected.

However, I heard from more than one person the some/most of this little group rode the vast majority of the bike leg as a peleton wih barely 1 metre between wheels which is simply disgraceful. I haven't raced yet this year, but despite this I'm getting angrier and angrier about this issue. Ill be hoarse from roaring at these c*nts when I do race (if I'm anywhere near them!)

I personally think the fact that this situation has arisen is very sad. Here we have a clear, tangible example of an outstanding triathlete competing hard and fairly, yet being undermined by inaction on the part of officialdom. If this doesn't spur TI into action, then it is forsaking the very essence of its own sport.

Ok devils advocate here :) Look at it a different way. Drafting is breaking the rules, but if you don't get caught then it's a risk worth taking. If you get caught the the 'punishment' is often lesser than the benefits that you obtain. So why not draft?

The punishment needs to deter people from drafting, only then will they stop. But it also needs enforcement and I think this is where the main problem lies. Imagine if any of the races mentioned here did apply strict drafting rules, there'd be a separate thread here of riders whining about how they were unfaily treated blah blah blah........and that race might have trouble filling next year.

I think if you purposely draft if tells a lot about you character in life, let along triathlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Ban a second offence drafter for 2 months. Actually for the rest of the year. Treat it like doping as i see it from the point of view that they are gaining a serious unfair advantage. There'll be no movement on this happening even with a 5/10/15min penalty as its only effecting one race. Name those banned too and hopefully these a$$holes will just leave the sport, they're not welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Bambaata wrote: »
    Ban a second offence drafter for 2 months. Actually for the rest of the year. Treat it like doping as i see it from the point of view that they are gaining a serious unfair advantage. There'll be no movement on this happening even with a 5/10/15min penalty as its only effecting one race. Name those banned too and hopefully these a$$holes will just leave the sport, they're not welcome.

Good thinking but it might also be good to see it from the other side.
    Drafting has become like drugs in cycling we are at a stage were mamy people feel that if they ride clean they lose time on other people, as most by now have the perception that the otheres draft.

Can it be tackled ?
    yes , if it comes on the to do list to be tackled.

TI has very clearly shown that they can officiate very well people crosing the white line in transitons and takeing the helmet off too early and people are afreaid to infringe those rules as they know they will get done.

Not so with drafting, not much has been done.

So maybe it is aobut time to use the resources given to prevent to crossing the white line and opening helmelts too early into non drafting ( I would argue that big drafting groups have a far higher saftey risk than crossing a white line by 30 cm or opening a helmey 3 meters before the bike )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I am assuming from doing the maths who you are Billy, it will take more top guys like yourself to speak out to get any type of enforcement from TI. It must be a killer when there is prizes involved as well to see it happening

Advertisement