Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veep [HBO - Spoilers]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭steve_r

It's starting to feel more like TTOI, still a long way to go but it's nice to see the improvement from a very talented ensemble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

steve_r wrote: »
    It's starting to feel more like TTOI, still a long way to go but it's nice to see the improvement from a very talented ensemble.

Second season is most stronger than first and the swearing is getting much better.

Had forgotten about this so decided to catch up and I'm really glad I did. Just after finishing episode 3 and it really has turned into one of the better comedies on TV. There's plenty of laughs and Selina has really come into her own. Gary is still the stand out but the rest of the cast are finally getting their fair share of laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭squonk

I actually find Gary a pain in the arse! He's not that funny! I could live without him. I think he's the most dispensible of the cast!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Second season ended up being the funniest thing on TV in the past year imo.

JLD should have another emmy to add to her collection soon enough.

• Advertisement

squonk wrote: »
    I actually find Gary a pain in the arse! He's not that funny! I could live without him. I think he's the most dispensible of the cast!

I think that he's one of the most idiotic characters on TV and you can't help but love him. He spends most of the show putting his foot in it and alongside Mike it's a combination for comedic greatness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Veep caught my eye for 5 reasons:

1) The Thick Of It was the funniest thing Ive seen in years. I watched it and In The Loop twice from start to finish in the space of a month and it now ranks as 3rd in my favourite UK sitcoms of all time after Fawlty Towers and The Office. Its an amazing show and Malcolm Tucker and Jamie made me laugh out loud more than any comedy film or show in an age.

2) Julia Louis Dreyfus looks like this at the age of 52

julia-louis-dreyfus.jpg

3) The presence of Gary Cole

4) Its HBO made

and 5) Armando Iannucci and Co. had a big involvement in the show.

I just finished it last night and I cant wait for season 3. Its not in the same class as In The Thick Of It but what is? What it has got is strong writing and all of the above.

Armando Iannucci for president!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Always good to see Alison Janey on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Showed the first episode of this to a mate two weeks ago, and had to go back and watch the entire two seasons again. It's even better the second time round watching it over a short period, there's a lot of little digs referring back to earlier episodes.

Only finished it on Sunday night, then today discovered season 3 just started this week.

Season 3 was a solid start. Again it's not laugh out loud funny in the same way as The Thick Of It was but it's not bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

MOH wrote: »
    then today discovered season 3 just started this week.

Excellent, thanks for letting us know!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Watched S1 recently, going to start S2 soon, then eventually S3. In addition to JLD as the Veep, I'm also really impressed by Anna Chlumsky as Amy, who can pull off lines like this:

amy-veep-1.gif

If the swearing offends you, well ...

qe4tkjj.gif

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Woman throws shoe at Hilary Clinton during a Las Vegas "Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries meeting".

Clinton ducks shoe, responds: ""My goodness, I didn't know that solid waste management was so controversial".

Seriously, how is this not a promo for the new Veep series?!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Sheela

Did anyone else think the latest episode was very similar to the Thick of It episode set at the Party Conference?
    Eg 1. Glenn Cullen and Mike both got hit by Malcolm and their own phone respectively and 2. Julie Price/Alicia were involved in campaigns that were to be a cornerstone of Nicola/Selina's speeches but then got dropped.

Still enjoyed it though.

Aw Sheela don't be reminding us of The Thick Of It! Good and all as Veep is, it really lacks a Malcolm and someone quite as hapless as Nicola Murray. I watch Veep as an island in itself. I found I enjoyed it more once I stopped comparing it to TTOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Started on this today, good so far!

This week's episode was the best yet. Laugh out loud funny and just a tour de force from all involved. I'm a Gary Cole fan and normally think he stands out head and shoulders above a lot of the cast in most things he's in but with this week's episode he just blended into the entire mélange of great performances. It was really well paced and even Gary wasn't on screen enough to be annoying, but he was serving a purpose too so it worked very well.

I'm sorry
    it looks like Jonah's blog site is hitting the rocks. I thought it worked well having him out of the camp yet with one foot still inside with the ability to get up their arses with his posts.
    . I hope they'll continue to do something equally as funny with him for the rest of the season.

The childcare reference when she arrived at faux Google and saw the lego was brilliant! Really loved the episode overall, it's the best so far, and it also helped that the Clovis CFO was as cute as a button as well :)

I'm up-to-date now, just watched Clovis and agree with the above. The company is obviously not Google (of course), but they don't come off very well. "Kindergarten for Cyberbrats"? Selina's use of the "word cloud" - absolutely denying the Chung / Torture story while reinforcing it - was brilliant.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

Veep reality and fiction meet:

Watched the first 2 episodes of the new series and really enjoyed them, there's a momentum to events which was previously lacking and it does seem that something is going to happen this year. The sight of the cowering Sasquatch alone was reason to watch and hopefully this year will see more Jonas bashing

• Advertisement

Episodes 3 and 4 once again up the ante and the laughs. Veep was always one of those shows that I threw on to kill a little time, it had huge potential but never really came close to achieving it throughout series 1 and 2 but it's finally coming into it's own. That there is a goal in sight for the series really helps and for the first time Selina actually feels like someone with power and a job. The whole Craig discussion is one that I've encountered myself, it's a name that many people have huge problem pronouncing and begin a Craig myself I've been called everything from Craeg, Creig, Creg, Graig, Greg, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

The last 8 or so episodes across this season and the last have elevated it amongst the best comedies on right now in my book.

LOL, I know I'm being controversial but Aaron Sorkin should really watch this series to show how you can improve the fortunes of a current affairs/political TV show that starts out with huge potential yet delivers so little to now where it's totally delivering 100% on all of it's potential! It's a show I really look forward to at this stage. I complained t5o high heaven earlier because I knew what the show could achieve and I'm glad I stuck with it though the early days were hard going! Unlike Aaron Sorkin making glib apologies to the press after his show got cancelled, Iannucci took on board the Season 1 issues, turned the show around just enough to keep it on a good heading for Season 2 and really kicked things off for Season 3! Bravo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Tony Hale is really doing it for me this season.

"Let's throw cum! Let's throw cum!"

Another damn good episode this week, it's a credit to the writing staff that not only did they recognise the issues of series 1 but they actually did something about it. Someone should sit Aaron Sorkin down and make him watch the show as he might learn something from it.

Another great episode. This is the best American comedy on air at the moment

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Another great episode. This is the best American comedy on air at the moment

Agreed! Mina Hakkinen is always a welcome addition (apart from Sally Philips being absolutely gorgeous IMHO). It helps so much that Selina is on the road now and that they're spreading the plot between the road and the Veep's office. There are so many great lines, the one about fúcking snow in particular was brilliant, as was the line from Mina about having earplugs.

The show is now a pure gem. Everything is so finely crafted and balanced now. The subtlety is wonderful and it's an absolute joy to watch. The season on season improvement in this show is something to behold. Now they've found their feet, next season should be really something to look forward to.

squonk wrote: »
    Agreed! Mina Hakkinen is always a welcome addition (apart from Sally Philips being absolutely gorgeous IMHO).

Its that funny English actress from Smack The Pony/Notting Hill!

I knew she looked familiar ;)

article-2272705-17516137000005DC-576_306x423.jpg

Yet another great episode last night. So many laughs! 'Donniwah', 'Ein bike' :) There were so many passing things that were just comedy gold!

Who knew that Amy had it in her! Vicious woman! :). I certainly wouldn't mind her as a campaign manager with an attitude like that. I thought intially that she was just ripping the piss out of Jonah and setting him up but I was surprised she'd stoop to the stage of causing a bit of a media nightmare for her boss!

You really have to hand it to Iannucci for simply concentrating on what he does well and knowing exactly what his show is about. Through the humour though you can see the political wrangling and even some of the pointless nature of public appearances (the pub incident). He runs rings around Aaron Sorking really. Iannucci go on with improving his show, whereas The Newsroom didn't improve enough in time. I'm still baffled by Sorking's address to the press saying he wasn't really having a go at them. That's exactly what he said he was doing first episode in fo the newsroom, heck even in the first 30 seconds! It's great to see Veep staying away from all that preachy BS and being all the better for it! More of this I say!

• Advertisement

That
    Diana
    line at the end! :eek:

:pac:

Advertisement