Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veep [HBO - Spoilers]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

pretty good so far and i like most of the characters except that amy one, crap actress and such a cliched type of character.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭squonk

I really think this show is starting to flounder based on the current episode. I'm finding it increasingly hard to care. The various characters become more and more grating. That Gary guy is a moron and I'm amazed he's still there. FWIW unlike the last poster I think Amy is one of the best characters.

The show is really just going nowhere slowly. A Malcolm Tucker type is sorely missed. They need some external factor to kick them out of their collective arseyness every episode and while that should be that Jonah guy, he's just a massive arse himself. He needs to be different to the mandarins, the same way Malcolm Tucker was.

Right now even the In The Loop was a lot better. I thought that new guy who joined a few weeks ago would end up being more like the Dan character from ITL or ITTOI but I'm not sure what he's doing tbh. Actually the 'Has the President Called? No' gag is getting old at this stage and it's actually what the show needs, a president or someone else who can put the boot into Selina or her cronies every so often.

I has such high hopes but I'm not sure if this is going to last on my viewing list much longer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Plotlines for the nest 5 episodes:
    1. Veep accidentally insults gay people, hilarity ensues
    2. Veep accidentally insults disabled people, hilarity ensues
    3. Veep accidentally insults religious people, hilarity ensues
    4. Veep accidentally insults old people, hilarity ensues
    5. Veep accidentally insults women, hilarity ensues

They really need to shake this up a little. It's a good concept with some potential, but they're not really taking advantage of it yet.

Yeah that's true. I thought the scene in the hospital in the current episode was pretty good. I was hoping her comments about the whitehouse leading the charge if negligence was found to be involved in the accident was going to land her in trouble and maybe finally get things rolling a bit more,

They're just not using the potential they have right now and there's a few characters that need to be canned or moved to the sidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Have to agree, the last episode was quite poor. I thought the show could survive without a Malcolm Tucker type of character but now I am not so sure. There really should be some consequences for their stupidity, watching them go from blunder to blunder is not really funny anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Amy has grown on me alright but what did you think of her daughter in episode 3? Such a **** actress, annoyed me every time she talked.

Storylines are average alright but they manage to get some great one liners in every now and then.

Yeah the daughter was a complete waste of space. I couldn't stand her but she's one of a few I can't stand on the show.

Maybe a big problem here for the show was the decision to make the politician the Vice President. She's going nowhere. I mean, you can't imagine Dubya axing Cheney or O'Bama axing Biden. The great thing about ITTOI was that the ministers were fairly down the pecking order and could get the boot if they messed up or if it suited Malcolm's bigger plan. The beauty of the show was that they were twits but they were interchangeable twits and their cronies either fell on their swords with them or managed to wrangle a gig with the next office holder through cunning and cute hoorism. Like you said Kiwi, watching them go from blunder to blunder isn't that funny now. You really need the view from outside the office which was what Tucker gave and what that Noah gimp should be doing but isn't. It's becoming fairly retarded pretty quickly. I'm really hoping there won't be a Series 2 at this rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Disappointed with the last episode of Veep.

Maybe the role of the Vice President is too dull to parody. The show is amusing but not gripping.

If ever a show needed Malcolm Tucker (or his American equivalent) it is this one. Ah well, more Thick of it in production right now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

The latest episode was more of the same. Still funny but really lacking a punch. Dan's verbal assault on Jonah was the best thing about the show, finally someone's stupidity actually being punished. Only 3 episodes left so will stick with the show but will not be eagerly awaiting a series 2 unless they change it up.

Skid wrote: »

If ever a show needed Malcolm Tucker (or his American equivalent) it is this one. Ah well, more Thick of it in production right now. :)

That's great news! I thought it was over for good. TTOI is fantastic! Everything Veep isn't!

• Advertisement

Gary is easily the best thing about the show, the scene where Gary walks in with the tea as Selina is trying to decide who to fire was priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,661 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Starts at 10pm on Sky Atlantic on Monday next

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yes, there's no Malcom Tucker equivalent, but then tbh that sort of personality wouldn't have worked in the American political landscape.

I'll disagree with you on that point, a character in the style of Rahm Emanuel (not the Josh Lyman lite version) could be pretty useful in the show and is well known / documented for his colourful and abusive outbursts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,661 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭steve_r

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/television/2013/04/veep_second_season_review_hbo_s_much_improved_political_satire_starring.html

Says the second season is a lot funnier. Not convinced myself.
    Anyone still watching that can share their opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

It doesn't premiere 'til Sunday, does it?

Good point - the dangers of relying on American news sites!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,365 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Interesting...

My two main sources for previews have come to opposing conclusions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Season 2 premiere is this Sunday: http://www.spoilertv.com/2013/03/veep-season-2-trailer-2.html

Just seeing that my media server is pulling down S02E01 now. Didn't hear any buzz surrounding this at all so far. Not even on Facebook and I've liked the Veep page. Let's see how it goes. I wasn't very impressed with Season 1. I hope they manage to up the game for this season.

• Advertisement

After watching the first episode and for the first time since it began an episode of Veep was consistently funny. While never laugh out loud funny there was some terrific gags and fine word play.

After watching the first episode and for the first time since it began an episode of Veep was consistently funny. While never laugh out loud funny there was some terrific gags and fine word play.

Yeah I watched it as well. There doesn't seem to have been a leap in quality that was suggested in the artitcle I posted. It had some good moments but a lot of the criticisms are still valid. Lot of plot threads as well so it was a bit messy.

One thing they have addressed is the power of the veep - looks like this is going to be improved. One of the things I disliked about Season 1 was that none of the mistakes mattered, becuase the veep was so meaningless. Looks like this will change now, so hopefully the stakes will be higher!

Gonna stay watching it, most of my shows have finished their seasons so its a handy substitute.

Just watched E02 now and I actually think it was a step up in quality from the season opener. I actually laughed his week and the characters seemed to gel well for the first time. They may have actually fixed this show!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

I've only just found out that the second season has began. Is it on Sky Atlantic yet? I can't find any confirmation on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Lumbo wrote: »
    I've only just found out that the second season has began. Is it on Sky Atlantic yet? I can't find any confirmation on their website.

Its available online for naughty people. Started airing in the US 10 or 11 days ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

The 2nd season of this, so far, has been a big step up on the first.

Yeah, I'm glad it's sticking around for Season 3 now. Giving the Veep something important to do was key to this season being a success. The Woman in a pointless role thing could only stay funny for an episode or two and it got very grating last season in the end, plus there was a whiff of Arron Sorkin about the level of arseyness and pointlessness that built up by the end of the season.

Now Selina is getting out and about, and making gaffs and actually doing real things, it's a whole lot better. The addition of Gary Cole to the cast is also an excellent development in my view. He's one of my favourite actors. I wonder are we going to see the President this season? I think the show might have a chance for a good run now.

squonk wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm glad it's sticking around for Season 3 now. Giving the Veep something important to do was key to this season being a success. The Woman in a pointless role thing could only stay funny for an episode or two and it got very grating last season in the end, plus there was a whiff of Arron Sorkin about the level of arseyness and pointlessness that built up by the end of the season.

Now Selina is getting out and about, and making gaffs and actually doing real things, it's a whole lot better. The addition of Gary Cole to the cast is also an excellent development in my view. He's one of my favourite actors. I wonder are we going to see the President this season? I think the show might have a chance for a good run now.

Yeah things are a lot more interesting alright.

I skipped the second half of the first season, so far looks like I haven't missed anything. This time around its more promising.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 TheDB

I LOVE this show. People need to watch it. Halfway throught the 2nd season and it's just getting better.

Advertisement