Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crows scouts at games in Ireland last weekend

Options
  • 11-03-2008 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

There was a report in this morning's metro saying that the Adelaide Crows had scouts at some GAA Football games over the weekend, looking at Vaughan of Dublin, and some Meath player.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

would like to see another source for authenticity of the report, as there is so much scaremongering type reporting after being done on how Aussie Rules is going to pillage the country of its great GAA stars. Also, I would really doubt if they had Vaughan down as a target. I really dont think he'd make it at all. He is a great freetaker, and an average player from play, and his style of play wouldnt at all suit Aussie Rules.

Also, with regards to the report, (shooting the message, not the messenger!), what games were on at the weekend that they could have been looking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The report said Vaughan scored 0-5, possibly for DIT. UUJ were also mentioned.

(I hate gah, so I have no idea about any games that were on tbh.)

Heh, someone kindly left a Metro behind them after having a poo.

Here's the piece.
    Dubs deny Vaughan AFL link

Dublin and Meath football chiefs yesterday insisted it is news to them that Aussie Rules talent scouts may be interested in recruiting their rising stars. Representatives of the Adelaide Crows took in Saturday night's Sigerson Cup semi-final tie between DIT and UUJ. They [sic] visiting cintingent were reportedly keen to watch Dublin star Mark Vaughan and Meath's Cian Ward in action. However, sources in both counties say they were not aware of the development and have not had any contact from Adelaide. Vaugham, who hit 0-5 in the defeat by UUJ, and Ward will be in action for their counties in the league this weekend. Forward Vaughan is in terrific form at the moment having nailed down his position as Dublin's regular free-taker. He is likely to be included tonight by boss Paul Caffrey when he names his team to face Monaghan in this Saturday' top-of-the-table clash Division 2 league clash...(more stuff about the Dublin team selection)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Vaughan would get the boll*x kicked out of him over here and it would be about time. Good footballer granted but he's the ultimate poser. White hair, white boots etc. Basically he's a D4 head. And before anyone says I don't know what I'm on about, I was in the same year as him for three years in college and played 5 a side against him.

Yeah, but, do they know what D4's are in Adelaide?

• Advertisement

They know what a knob looks like and his nancy boy style won't go down well. Seriously if he plays in the forwards the likes of Darren Glass will have him for breakfast.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Vaughan would get the boll*x kicked out of him over here and it would be about time. Good footballer granted but he's the ultimate poser. White hair, white boots etc. Basically he's a D4 head. And before anyone says I don't know what I'm on about, I was in the same year as him for three years in college and played 5 a side against him.

My mate played with him at Kilmacud and says the same. Describes him as a "pain in the ass"

Vaughan wouldnt be suited Aussie Rules at all, he's nowhere near physical enough. Sure look at when he plays full forward for Dublin he's shockin in the 50-50 exchanges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Don’t think Vaughan would be up for it either, he may be a good free kick taker but in open play he often seems average. I think he would get eaten up in the AFL, and the Aussie lads wouldn’t take kindly to him if he went over the there with an attitude (which he has been reported as having multiple times).

In the larger scheme of things there are some pluses and minus for the GAA, the obvious minus is the fact that the best players may be getting poached to Oz, the pluses are it could attract more people to the game if the think there is a possibility of a professional career out of it, and secondly it could also help them try and promote the game a bit more in Australia, and therefore bringing in extra revenue. If there are more former GAA players in the AFL and this is getting reported than some of those fans may start tuning in to the GAA.

cheers for posting up the article des. seems like its a pie in the sky piece to be honsest. 2 of the metro regions main young up and coming players (meaths Ward, Dublins Vaughan) just being named for speculation. Both mainly free takers as well. Wouldnt have thought it was an aussie rules type of player hence my sceptical view of the piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Interesting that they seem to be going after free takers, I would have imagined that people who dominate in open play would have been more to their liking. Neither Vaughan nor Ward would do anything in Oz.

Not that I'd give the article a whole lot of attention in the first place.

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Interesting that they seem to be going after free takers, I would have imagined that people who dominate in open play would have been more to their liking. Neither Vaughan nor Ward would do anything in Oz.

Not that I'd give the article a whole lot of attention in the first place.

think that end line sums it up. They wouldnt be looking at free takers (especially ones who take frees off the ground) so that was where I had my initial doubts. No substantial evidence whatsoever to even suggest anything like this took place.

AUSSIE Rules scouts unashamedly attended the Sigerson Cup weekend in Carlow IT last weekend, openly trawling for talent despite the massive debate currently raging in GAA circles about the AFL plundering Ireland's teen talents.

The attendance of Australian talent-spotters was viewed by some parties as particularly insensitive as county boards are currently in the midst of a hot debate on whether or not to resume official ties with the AFL.

"I had no personal contact with them and none of our players, to my knowledge, have received any approaches yet," said UUJ GAA President Tommy Farrell. "But there were strong rumours that scouts were there, and it didn't take me long to know what was going on when I heard two people in the VIP tent with very strong Australian accents," he added.

The issue of whether or not to resume the International Rules series is the hot topic up for decision at next Monday's Central Council meeting.

After initial talks between the GAA and AFL, a four-page document of proposals -- the so-called 'Dubai Agreement' -- has been issued to all counties for debate and there is clearly mixed feeling.

Kerry, Down and Antrim have already voted against a resumption of the Test series while Offaly and Mayo have voted to continue it.

Yet the issue of underage recruitment by 'Footy' clubs is a much more contentious area and likely to be raised by dissenters on Monday who will argue that the resumption of the senior series will only encourage it.

Many counties are meeting this week to debate the AFL question and give their Central Council delegates their mandate.

Carlow meet on Thursday and are expected to oppose resuming any ties after losing minor star Brendan Murphy to the Sydney Swans last autumn.

But surprisingly Laois, whose underage players have been so heavily recruited in recent years, has not yet debated the issue and will not have done so by Monday.

The irony is that Aussie recruiters may have been disappointed by the Sigerson weekend as the expected climax to colleges' blue riband was turned into a complete farce by questions about the eligibility of three Garda College players.

Garda's semi-final against GMIT was postponed to allow Cork IT to make an objection but that appeal to the third-level colleges' body, Comhairle Ard Oideachas (CAO), never went ahead after an unprecedented 11th hour twist.

Garda had previously been thrown out after Carlow IT objected to one of their players but were reinstated by Croke Park's Central Appeals Committee (CAC).

At the time Carlow IT did not take it further but late last Thursday they sought a hearing on the same issue with the Disputes Resolution Authority (DRA) and because that supercedes anything the CAO might decide Cork IT's appeal was postponed.

It is understood that Carlow left their DRA request to the last minute because, as the hosts and organisers of the Sigerson weekend, they did not want to do anything earlier that might stop it going ahead.

The DRA is expected to hear their case in the next 48 hours.

If Garda are thrown out, Carlow and Cork IT would have to play another quarter-final, but even if Garda stay in there will be further delays as Cork IT will then go ahead with their objection and the competition looks set not to climax until well after Easter.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/aussie-rules-scouts-tout-for-talent-at-sigerson-cup-clash-1313105.html

That's from the Indo? It reads like something from the Oirish Sun ffs.
    unashamedly attended the Sigerson Cup
    The cheek of them attending a public event. :eek:
    "I heard two people in the VIP tent with very strong Australian accents,"
    Ya flamin' mongrels, strewth.
    :pac:
    'Footy' clubs
    lol

The gah need to embrace this, and use it as a way to make money.

Otherwise these shady aussies are just going to keep creeping around tents, talking loudly in their accents and stealing the players. Nothing but a bunch of crims anyway.

ffs

The piece is by a Cliona Foley, is she a gah head or what?

AAAgh, I fooking hate the gah and all associated with it, this parochial attitude is doing nothing for their image. They'll need to go professional sooner or later too.

ROFL at that article. How dare they go watch a game! The absolute cheek of it!

I'll be having a little word with my mate in the Indo about this Cliona Foley one. See if she's a GAA head herself.

Totally agree about some of the wording in that article, very petty.
    DesF wrote: »
    The gah need to embrace this, and use it as a way to make money.

Knowing the GAA, I'm sure they are looking into ways of filling the coffers. I can't see how they would though, the players are amateur and will be for the foreseeable future. They can't command a transfer fee or anything of the sort, and if a young lad has his heart set on moving then why shouldn't they?
    The piece is by a Cliona Foley, is she a gah head or what?

AAAgh, I fooking hate the gah and all associated with it, this parochial attitude is doing nothing for their image. They'll need to go professional sooner or later too.

This is an article in a national newspaper, not a GAA press release! Don't know much about Ms. Foley.

Why will they have to turn professional, the most admirable thing about the GAA is the fact that they do it all as an amateur sport. The level of commitment is huge given that these players have to work 9-to-5's in order to live, and train 4 or 5 times a week at the same time.

I know I'd rather watch a bunch of guys going out to play for the pride of the jersey rather than the paycheck.

They can't command a transfer fee or anything of the sort, and if a young lad has his heart set on moving then why shouldn't they?
    I agree with this.
    This is an article in a national newspaper, not a GAA press release!
    You absolutely sure about that?
    Why will they have to turn professional
    Because, moving to Australia is very, very attractive.

Also, they are hardly "amateur" anyway. If you really think the top inter-county level lads are playing for free, you are naive in the extreme.
    I know I'd rather watch a bunch of guys going out to play for the pride of the jersey rather than the paycheck.
    Meh, most sports moved out of the dark ages decades ago.

Soccer, Rugger and I'm sure Footy were all amateur sports at one time or another.

Because, moving to Australia is very, very attractive.

Yes, but for how many players is that a viable possibility?
    Also, they are hardly "amateur" anyway. If you really think the top inter-county level lads are playing for free, you are naive in the extreme.

They aren't playing for free, that doesn't mean they aren't amateur.
    Meh, most sports moved out of the dark ages decades ago.

Soccer, Rugger and I'm sure Footy were all amateur sports at one time or another.

GAA isn't in the Dark Ages by any means. Surely being one of the few remaining popular, and entirely amateur sports on the planet is a good thing.

Yes, but for how many players is that a viable possibility?
    Well, the AFL people obviously feel they haven't tapped the market fully, otherwise they wouldn't have sent scouts over. So I'd say more and more Irish lads will be tempted by the move in the future.

If the AFL are going to offering players money and whatever else to move out to Australia, you can be sure they'll be picking the best they see.

Choice.

Move to Aus for a couple of years. Get paid decent money to do so. Live in compatitive luxury.

Stay in rainy old Ireland, do a horrible 9-5er, train the evenings. Live with mammy and daddy.

There IS NO choice, imo.
    They aren't playing for free, that doesn't mean they aren't amateur.
    What?:confused:

Getting paid to do something means you are a pro, not an amateur.
    GAA isn't in the Dark Ages by any means. Surely being one of the few remaining popular, and entirely amateur sports on the planet is a good thing.
    Why is it a good thing?

Well, the AFL people obviously feel they haven't tapped the market fully, otherwise they wouldn't have sent scouts over. So I'd say more and more Irish lads will be tempted by the move in the future.

If the AFL are going to offering players money and whatever else to move out to Australia, you can be sure they'll be picking the best they see.

Choice.

Move to Aus for a couple of years. Get paid decent money to do so. Live in compatitive luxury.

Stay in rainy old Ireland, do a horrible 9-5er, train the evenings. Live with mammy and daddy.

There IS NO choice, imo.

I'm not arguing that at all. I'm arguing the fact that, at most, there will be about 15 Irish players actively playing AFL in five years time. Thats my rough guess.
    What?:confused:

Getting paid to do something means you are a pro, not an amateur.

Getting travel allowances is different to getting "paid to do something". You can't live of travel allowances. Show me one Gaelic footballer or hurler who lives off their sport. None. Sean Og O'hAilpin works in a bank.
    Why is it a good thing?

Because it shows that the players are playing for pride, rather than for money.

Because it shows that the players are playing for pride, rather than for money.
    Can people not do both?

To give a completely random example of someone who I believe did both.

Matthew Le Tissier.

• Advertisement

Can people not do both?

Matthew Le Tissier.

Don't know him.

The fact is, of course, that he is the exception rather than the rule.

Anyway, I follow the "Gah" fairly regularly and would prefer them to stay amateur. Not much would change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Getting travel allowances is different to getting "paid to do something". You can't live of travel allowances. Show me one Gaelic footballer or hurler who lives off their sport. None.

Eoin Kelly (the Waterford one).

It's not just him though. A certain blond-haired Mayo forward is getting a free degree when he really shouldn't be in college at all. There are plenty more GAA players who are getting well looked after, particularly by the various universities. That doesn't really bother me though, it's pay for play that I'm against. Tbh, I can't see the GAA ever turning professional because it would simply be unsustainable. The population is way too small to support it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Nalced_irl

Xavi6 wrote: »
    You dont know what your on about! :D

Fully agree tho, Vaughan has a habit of rubbing the opposition up the wrong way which in AFL does not get ignored as it does in GAA. I couldnt see Vaughan going over tbh. He isnt exactly the biggest player in the country which is a pretty important thing in AFL. You dont see many small players in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Nalced_irl

Can people not do both?

Matthew Le Tissier.
    Roy Keane is an obvious example for me also, both with Man U and Celtic. In fact i would say it was his pride and frustration that led to the whole Saipan thing, altho others may disagree. Also that he took a huge paycut to join Celtic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Nalced_irl wrote: »
    Roy Keane is an obvious example for me also, both with Man U and Celtic. In fact i would say it was his pride and frustration that led to the whole Saipan thing, altho others may disagree. Also that he took a huge paycut to join Celtic.

A very good example here but the GAA is an organisation itself that makes money while not necessarily being about money.Our sport GAA and not "GAH" (as retards call it) is an organisation which organises our games on a national level and keeps it going on that level.Communities keep the club scene going which is the back-bone for the game at national level.

If we were to introduce money into the whole setup then the game would decline.People in Ireland who follow GAA don't follow it for monetary reasons,they play and follow it because its a sport they love.Introducing money would arouse interest in the greedy and the pride and passion for the game itself would not be there.

This is one of the things I love about GAA.Players who play for the passion of the game and the pride of their club and county and to entertain their fans.Unlike soccer which is marred by money.Thats why we have French and Africans playing for Arsenal as opposed to local talent.

Dont think its as simplistic Des as just picking and choosing who they want and then all the players just hopping off for a few years. For one, not everyone wants to move there, sure if it was that easy then why wouldnt the whole country just go to Oz.

Anyway, the Australians wouldnt let it happen either, it would ruin their game if they had scores of Irish lads heading over every year.

I dont think with the set up of GAA that it can ever become professional, it would ruin the organisation IMO. Maybe there is a way for more incentives and for helping plaers stay playing, but I dont know how.

Also, the Independant is a red top rag masquerading as a broadsheet, so it doesnt suprise me it sounds like the sun. Cliona Foley is indeed a GAA reporter, albeit not a great one, but the indo is a poor paper anyway.

And, the Keane example is probably a poor one considering the clause he had inserted in his contract at Man U that he had to be at least equal to the highest paid player, so when Beckham got his massive pay increase before he left, Keane made a huge gain. I know where you are coming from with Keane, but money was still a priority with him. (and I dont mean to be dragging this off topic either.)

And how is McDonald considered getting a free degree at college? I went to college and only had to pay a small fee that everyone does at the start of the year, and sure mature students (ones over 23) can get into most courses, so I dont see what he is getting ahead of anyone else just because of his status.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

hanton12 wrote: »
    And how is McDonald considered getting a free degree at college? I went to college and only had to pay a small fee that everyone does at the start of the year, and sure mature students (ones over 23) can get into most courses, so I dont see what he is getting ahead of anyone else just because of his status.

Not McDonald, the other one!;)

Mature students getting in is based on an interview. Not everyone gets it, particularly because of how competitive places for Sports Science are. Also, he got special notes emailed to him from the lecturers that none of the "elite" had access to. It also just so happens that the head of the School of Health and Human Performance is also the head of the GAA academy in this particular university. That's all outside the remit of his sports scholarship. Just an example of how partiicular players already get preferential treatment and aren't the unfortunate paupers that some believe they are.

blackbelt wrote: »
    not "GAH" (as retards call it)
    Remember where you are;)

I call it gah, for disparaging reasons, I hate the organisation for many reasons that this forum is not for going into.:)
    blackbelt wrote: »
    This is one of the things I love about GAA.Players who play for the passion of the game and the pride of their club and county and to entertain their fans.Unlike soccer which is marred by money.
    Soccer is the most widely played game in the country.

Sure you know that Boards has a team. Them lads play for the love of the game, they pay to play it.

Just because soccer at the top level is marred by money, doesn't mean everyone involved is a cynical money grabber. Far from it.

Lads who play any sport at any "low" level, be it gaelic football, soccer, cricket, rugby, tiddlywinks, whatever, do so for the passion, pride and entertainment.

As romantic as you want it to sound, GAA doesn't have a monopoly on those aspects of sport.
    Dont think its as simplistic Des as just picking and choosing who they want and then all the players just hopping off for a few years. For one, not everyone wants to move there, sure if it was that easy then why wouldnt the whole country just go to Oz.
    The only reason I'm not there is because of visa reasons.
    I dont think with the set up of GAA that it can ever become professional, it would ruin the organisation IMO.
    People said professionalism would ruin Rugby Union, if anything it has become even more popular since the advent of professionalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

An Citeog wrote: »
    Not McDonald, the other one!;)

Mature students getting in is based on an interview. Not everyone gets it, particularly because of how competitive places for Sports Science are. Also, he got special notes emailed to him from the lecturers that none of the "elite" had access to. It also just so happens that the head of the School of Health and Human Performance is also the head of the GAA academy in this particular university. That's all outside the remit of his sports scholarship. Just an example of how partiicular players already get preferential treatment and aren't the unfortunate paupers that some believe they are.

Is CMort still in college Citeog?He is about 26 now.That would mean he either took some time out before going to college or flunked his exams.The latter wouldn't surprise me.:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Getting travel allowances is different to getting "paid to do something". You can't live of travel allowances. Show me one Gaelic footballer or hurler who lives off their sport. None.

Doesn't Alan Brogan work as an amabassador for the GAA, going around schools and clubs and what not? Pretty sure that's his 'job'.

Advertisement