Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crows scouts at games in Ireland last weekend

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

DesF wrote: »
    Remember where you are;)

I call it gah, for disparaging reasons, I hate the organisation for many reasons that this forum is not for going into.:)

Soccer is the most widely played game in the country.

Sure you know that Boards has a team. Them lads play for the love of the game, they pay to play it.

Just because soccer at the top level is marred by money, doesn't mean everyone involved is a cynical money grabber. Far from it.

Lads who play any sport at any "low" level, be it gaelic football, soccer, cricket, rugby, tiddlywinks, whatever, do so for the passion, pride and entertainment.

As romantic as you want it to sound, GAA doesn't have a monopoly on those aspects of sport.

You can hate the organisation all you want.Thats your entitlement.I give out about certain aspects of it too and certain decisions that are made etc but to call it "GAH" is just retarded lets be honest.I hate the FAI for turning this country into a laughing stock that I now don't care whether we win or lose against a holiday resort anymore.Delaney and Co are a pack of plonkers who I'd just love to punch in the face and I say that dignity and I can safely assume that you don't agree with everything or like everything about the FAI.

I don't want to highjack the Aussie Rules forum but the FAI and FA and other football associations around the World are just corporate soccer.There is no sense of local pride there anymore,half the players are foreigners whereas with Gaelic games your counties midfielder might be your local insurance broker,your solicitor or dentist.Just some examples.

Back on topic,the Aussies have every right to do what they are doing even if I don't like it.They are entitled and so are those concerned for making their decision.I think its a bit rich of the GAA to try and stop these players going but they can't.There can be no comparable incentives for those players to stay here.

In saying that,I don't believe those players who come back should be let back in the intercounty fold.If you make a certain decision you should give up that spot on the team permanently.Other players that would give their right arm to play IC football should be given the chance and not lose their place if one does return from OZ.If those players give up their privelige to play for their county it should be permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Doesn't Alan Brogan work as an amabassador for the GAA, going around schools and clubs and what not? Pretty sure that's his 'job'.

He is a PRO or games officer for Oliver Plunketts Eoghan Ruadh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Doesn't Alan Brogan work as an amabassador for the GAA, going around schools and clubs and what not? Pretty sure that's his 'job'.

Yes but that is an actual job. That isn't getting paid to play the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Yes but that is an actual job. That isn't getting paid to play the sport.

But if he didn't play the sport he wouldn't have the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

But if he didn't play the sport he wouldn't have the job.

The argument was over whether or not the sport is amateur or not.

The fact that Alan Brogan has a job promoting the sport, or that Conor Mortimer gets an easy time in college doesn't mean it is a professional sport. Not even semi-professional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Nobody ever said it was professional (I don't think so anyway). The players do have some fairly cushy perks from playing the game and 'semi-professional' is a tag that wouldn't be too far off the mark. The words semi-pro not being officially attributed to the game is a mere technicality.

The main point of the whole thing is that unless the GAA go professional players are going to continue to explore the professional route in the AFL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

to be honest, I think at the moment its all a big storm in a tea cup. There is only a scatter of players in AFL right now, and unless number drastically rise, its nothing to really be concerned about. Sean Cavanagh from Tyrone was offered trials, and refused. Its not for some players, and others would love it. I dont think professionalism really has a whole lot to do with it, more a lifetime oppertunity and a chance to do something different couple with doing sport for a living.

This was on hoganstand website too, sensationalism of the highest order again. 'Confirmed' is the word I was drawn to first. On the basis of rumours and 'strong Aussie accents'.

College GAA chief testifies to AFL scout presence
    13 March 2008

A leading college GAA official has confirmed that scouts representing Aussie Rules have been scouting for talent among players taking part in this year’s Sigerson Cup.

The attendance of talent spotters from Down Under was noted by UUJ GAA President Tommy Farrell last weekend during the Carlow IT-hosted matches.

"I had no personal contact with them and none of our players, to my knowledge, have received any approaches yet," said Farrell.

"But there were strong rumours that scouts were there, and it didn’t take me long to know what was going on when I heard two people in the VIP tent with very strong Australian accents."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Nalced_irl

hanton12 wrote: »
    to be honest, I think at the moment its all a big storm in a tea cup. There is only a scatter of players in AFL right now, and unless number drastically rise, its nothing to really be concerned about. Sean Cavanagh from Tyrone was offered trials, and refused. Its not for some players, and others would love it. I dont think professionalism really has a whole lot to do with it, more a lifetime oppertunity and a chance to do something different couple with doing sport for a living.

This was on hoganstand website too, sensationalism of the highest order again. 'Confirmed' is the word I was drawn to first. On the basis of rumours and 'strong Aussie accents'.

College GAA chief testifies to AFL scout presence
    13 March 2008

A leading college GAA official has confirmed that scouts representing Aussie Rules have been scouting for talent among players taking part in this year’s Sigerson Cup.

The attendance of talent spotters from Down Under was noted by UUJ GAA President Tommy Farrell last weekend during the Carlow IT-hosted matches.

"I had no personal contact with them and none of our players, to my knowledge, have received any approaches yet," said Farrell.

"But there were strong rumours that scouts were there, and it didn’t take me long to know what was going on when I heard two people in the VIP tent with very strong Australian accents."
    Declan O Mahony was also offerred a trial and turned it down

Advertisement