Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Property Market 2015

1727374757678»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

seamus wrote: »
    I think you're completely misguided on this. There are parts of North Dublin with exactly the same mindset as parts of South Dublin. Castleknock, Drumcondra, Clontarf, etc, see exactly the same snobishness that you find in Terenure, Rathfarnham & Sandyford. Ballyfermot is seen as no more desirable than Tallaght or Ringsend.

Suburban south Dublin is much bigger than Suburban North Dublin though, hence why it appears to be so popular. Note that I don't consider Swords or Balbriggan part of "suburban" Dublin. There's a massive expanse of rural Dublin between those towns and the city.

Clearly tongue in cheek but point taken on 'South Suburban Dublin' being much larger. I also agree the snobiness, and let's be honest here, the inverted snobbiness (e.g. me) is very prevalent in Dublin. What annoys me is the constant stream of people saying there are no options in Dublin when there are, albeit in traditionally not so desirable areas. Cities change, increased house prices/ownership rates have benefits as well as down sides. People need to start thinking outside the box/postcode area and actually start looking at places with an open mind.

As for Swords/Balbriggan, I'm with you to a certain extent. Perfectly reasonable to dub them North Co. Dublin, however they're not exactly on the moon in terms of commuting and prices are relatively reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I'll just leave this here (Sherry Fitz - October 2007)

My favourite being the 2 bed apartment in Raheny for over half a million

373101.JPG

Absolute madness

While I agree on the absolute madness point, how much were the apartments in Stillorgan etc. going for near the DART out that way?

EDIT: Ah see the other attachment - 495K for a one bed in Sandyford! Jesus, scary stuff indeed!! Where did you dig up that little supplement of nightmares! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Bizarre post

Useless post. :rolleyes:

As regular posters on the forum you know the rules. No more warnings

Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,613 ✭✭✭caviardreams

While I agree on the absolute madness point, how much were the apartments in Stillorgan etc. going for near the DART out that way?

EDIT: Ah see the other attachment - 495K for a one bed in Sandyford! Jesus, scary stuff indeed!! Where did you dig up that little supplement of nightmares! :D

I remember the likes of Beechwood Court, Thornwood etc. along the N11 at around 600k for a 2 bed in late 2006 - more for larger, higher floors. The price now would be around 400k, so about 66% of the peak in nominal terms. Those who say we are back at 2006/7 levels have perhaps forgotten how ridiculous things had got :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Its quite the eye opener isn't it saw it on thepropertypin a few years ago, pdf has been removed from Sherrys website but I'd forwarded it to the Mrs at the time as we were in the process of buying a gaff

Thread here:

http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=57151

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

seamus wrote: »
    I think you're completely misguided on this. There are parts of North Dublin with exactly the same mindset as parts of South Dublin. Castleknock, Drumcondra, Clontarf, etc, see exactly the same snobishness that you find in Terenure, Rathfarnham & Sandyford. Ballyfermot is seen as no more desirable than Tallaght or Ringsend.

Suburban south Dublin is much bigger than Suburban North Dublin though, hence why it appears to be so popular. Note that I don't consider Swords or Balbriggan part of "suburban" Dublin. There's a massive expanse of rural Dublin between those towns and the city.

To be fair, i think those comments were intended to be tongue in cheek.

As someone originally from a "snobbish" northside area, but now lives on the southside, I get the point the poster was trying to make.

We were out for drinks with my BF (southside native) and his friends from where he grew up. A friend of theirs had recently moved back from Australia and was living wiht his wife in her grannys house (in Cabra) which was vacant due to the granny being moved to a nursing home. Someone in the group questioned where the house was and the response from another was "oh, the northside" and wrinkled her nose in distaste.

Its as if they think the entire northside is a homogeneous area, uniformly terrible and with nothing redeeming about it. They say this sort of thing in front of me the whole time because I don't have a "salt of the earth" Dublin accent, and for all intents and purposes am "like them", they forget where I'm actually from.

I had to practice my deep breathing for a few moments after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

We were out for drinks with my BF (southside native) and his friends from where he grew up. A friend of theirs had recently moved back from Australia and was living wiht his wife in her grannys house (in Cabra) which was vacant due to the granny being moved to a nursing home. Someone in the group questioned where the house was and the response from another was "oh, the northside" and wrinkled her nose in distaste.

Its as if they think the entire northside is a homogeneous area, uniformly terrible and with nothing redeeming about it. They say this sort of thing in front of me the whole time because I don't have a "salt of the earth" Dublin accent, and for all intents and purposes am "like them", they forget where I'm actually from.

I had to practice my deep breathing for a few moments after that.
    Being an idiot isn't exclusive to either side of the Liffey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

As we now have a 2016 thread I think this one has run its course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement