Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SBR Challenge 2014

12346»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Pmaldini wrote: »
    cheers mossym, scuppers my plans for the next few days but it could have been a lot worse, and I agree on Fazz, I'd say they will be pretty impressive numbers when he posts

Thank god its nothing worse than bruises!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Pmaldini wrote: »
    scuppers my plans for the next few days but it could have been a lot worse

Glad to hear it's nothing major. Hard to believe it's only 3 weeks away!!!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

There'll be a queue on Monday for the BIG weekend updates from at least 2 of us :D

Sorry to hear about the off Pmaldini, hope all is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

pgibbo wrote: »
    Glad to hear it's nothing major. Hard to believe it's only 3 weeks away!!!! :eek:

ya unreal, where did the time go, hope the training is going well for you

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Mike, can you unlock august before you head off carrying akw around the cork/limerick mountains? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Oh boy! I'm desperate to log my 40min turbo today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Soreeeee :o

Opened the rest of the year to avoid this happening again! At least you will have a weekend's worth to put in now :)

Happy logging :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Im first OA!! (For a short while no doubt!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Bambaata wrote: »
    Im first OA!! (For a short while no doubt!)

Just entered my August totals. Balance has returned to The Force. I'm sure it's the first time I have been first overall. It was a long time coming. I expect Fazz will be along with an update soon to knock me off my perch though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Logged some swimming from last night. Tried 100m kicking at the end of my session and got the worst cramp I've ever gotten. Note to self, after not being able to kick for 4 months you need to ease yourself back into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

zico10 wrote: »
    Just entered my August totals. Balance has returned to The Force. I'm sure it's the first time I have been first overall. It was a long time coming. I expect Fazz will be along with an update soon to knock me off my perch though.

I've really neglected my online updating as of late that's for sure!

2 weeks in Thailand didn't do much for my July figures but I kept fitness with 8 or so hours a week anyway.

Must check my monthlies soon and update when I can to see where I'm at.
    Knowing you though Zico, I'd say you are still up top!

All on track? Last build before Kenmare?

Fazz wrote: »
    I've really neglected my online updating as of late that's for sure!

2 weeks in Thailand didn't do much for my July figures but I kept fitness with 8 or so hours a week anyway.

Must check my monthlies soon and update when I can to see where I'm at.
    Knowing you though Zico, I'd say you are still up top!

All on track? Last build before Kenmare?

See, I was right. You did go top!

Hope you enjoyed Thailand and any warm weather training you managed to squeeze in.

I've been off work since the start of July and I've had plenty of time to train. It remains to be seen if I've been spending the time wisely though. I don't know if I've struck the right balance between bike and run training, but I won't make any drastic changes at this stage. I'm not going down to Kenmare, doing the half up in Groomsport on Sunday instead. That will give me a better idea of where I'm at. I've been taking it easy this week in the build up to Sunday. Then I'll ramp it up again on Monday starting a three week build, which will finish with a mock race day on 5/6th September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

See, I was right. You did go top!

Hope you enjoyed Thailand and any warm weather training you managed to squeeze in.

I've been off work since the start of July and I've had plenty of time to train. It remains to be seen if I've been spending the time wisely though. I don't know if I've struck the right balance between bike and run training, but I won't make any drastic changes at this stage. I'm not going down to Kenmare, doing the half up in Groomsport on Sunday instead. That will give me a better idea of where I'm at. I've been taking it easy this week in the build up to Sunday. Then I'll ramp it up again on Monday starting a three week build, which will finish with a mock race day on 5/6th September.

Thailand was amazing, and the heat and bit of warm weather training I did was class too. Ran on a 500m track there which was fun, one of only a few in the world apparently.

Came back refreshed and launched into my last big block.
    Groomsport is a good idea, works well timing wise for you unlike Kenmare for me but so be it.
    I'm still not sure if I can fit my last big brick - aka mock race day in as I'm prioritising some other workouts at the mo which are paying good dividends.
    Not overly concerned if I don't, I know a lot swear by it, but I've done a 5 hr bike at just below IM watts and ran off it. I don't see a whole lot of value in doing a 2hr run off a 5hr bike, will leave that for race day.

Tricky to know the balance like you say, you're bike does look a little on the low side but may creep up this month. All about the quality anyway and your run volume is well up there so will carry across no doubt.
    What works for one doesn't work for others as I've learned the hard way this year so stick to your plan, I'm sure you know if it's working and on track.

Best of luck on Sunday! Heard they changed the course so no more stopping at lights. Times prob won't compare to previous years but hopefully some competition up there for you to benchmark off.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Just been updating for September and am happy to say I swam 15.9k ALL in OW. How will I ever return to the pool:eek:

5km swimming to go and i'll get the last milestone I'm likely to get, swim silver. too far away from the others to get there.

Serious question for folks. Are the gold levels too high? only 5 golds across the whole board, with only 1 or 2 more likely to be added. Run especially, only 1 gold and only 4 silvers. given the run volumes some here put in that seems surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

There was the same discussion last year...I think it should stay as is- Gold should only be got my a small minority that put in huge volumes of training, there was only a couple of golds last year too- all hard earned!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

mossym wrote: »
    Run especially, only 1 gold and only 4 silvers. given the run volumes some here put in that seems surprising.

I think the gold targets are fine, to your point i think it speaks volumes that i am still sitting in 4th place on the run with 75% of the year gone and i have not been running in 30% of that timeframe.

If you look at most they are only running 30-35kms a week which is very low.

I will hit gold on the bike and would have likely hit the other two if i kept swimming and running. IMO gold are more than realistic to achieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Zico- half a million m's in the water for 2014- thats the only figure that impresses me, well done man. There's a bottle of Bordeaux likely if you don't drown first from chlorine poisoning;)

Seriously impressive figures all round!

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Zico- half a million m's in the water for 2014- thats the only figure that impresses me, well done man. There's a bottle of Bordeaux likely if you don't drown first from chlorine poisoning;)

Seriously impressive figures all round!

I saw before your edit you had me credited with half a million kilometres. For a mathematician, that was some pretty appalling sums. :D
    Thanks though.

I'm gone into overdrive with the swimming now. Hoping to get to take it up a notch or two this winter, then hopefully I'll be able to maintain that form into next season.

• Advertisement

I saw before your edit you had me credited with half a million kilometres. For a mathematician, that was some pretty appalling sums. :D
    Thanks though.

I'm gone into overdrive with the swimming now. Hoping to get to take it up a notch or two this winter, then hopefully I'll be able to maintain that form into next season.

Brain is dead from more complex maths, so half a million km is the target for next year ;)

Good to see your swim progress, and your dedication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Exceptional figures zico, really putting the rest of us to shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭joey100

That's some serious swimming in the last month Zico. Are you getting in every day? What sort of improvements are you seeing in your times?

joey100 wrote: »
    That's some serious swimming in the last month Zico. Are you getting in every day? What sort of improvements are you seeing in your times?

I'm swimming 5/6 times a week. I miissed my Saturday morning swim last week as I was out Friday night. I would have made up for it on Sunday only I wasn't in Dublin. A pity because Peter told me to do 10x400 and I like to do exactly what he says.:)Three of the sessions are coached, so I'm happy quality work is being done. Since the start of the month I spent 90 minutes in the water anytime I went to the pool myself. So it starts to add up. (Still some way off the 120+ kilometres Dory Dory swam in May.

90 minutes feels like a long time, but I think if I can get used to it, I'm hoping it will make my 3.8km IM swim next September feel like a piece of pi$$. Obviously I hope to become a more efficient swimmer in the meantime, but volume worked well for my running and biking last year and I want to try the same with my swimming.

Re times; 12 months ago I wouldn't have broken 7 minutes for a 400TT, last week I managed 6.34. Last year I was probably swimming hundreds off 2 minutes, now I reckon I could hold 1.50 for an hour. I think it takes a while to see any significant improvements with swimming, but two weeks before the 6.34 400TT, I swam 6.45. I'd like to think I can get it under 6.30 before Christmas. There could be several reasons for the 11 second difference, and the real test will be in races next summer, but I feel I am improving.

I'm getting more confident in the water, which I think will be crucial. Also I think I'm starting to realise what it means to work hard in the water, which is not as simple as it sounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Was the swim short in Mallorca Zico or did you just outperform, a 1.02 without wetsuit - I would have thought your 400pb would have been quicker

catweazle wrote: »
    Was the swim short in Mallorca Zico or did you just outperform, a 1.02 without wetsuit - I would have thought your 400pb would have been quicker

I didn't have any GPS to measure it. I was told by other people it was a full 3.8k, but based on my time I find that hard to believe. Some pros came out of the water in 45 minutes, which for a non wetsuit swim was incredibly fast. So make of that what you will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Re times; 12 months ago I wouldn't have broken 7 minutes for a 400TT, last week I managed 6.34. Last year I was probably swimming hundreds off 2 minutes, now I reckon I could hold 1.50 for an hour. I think it takes a while to see any significant improvements with swimming, but two weeks before the 6.34 400TT, I swam 6.45.I'd like to think I can get it under 6.30 before Christmas. There could be several reasons for the 11 second difference, and the real test will be in races next summer, but I feel I am improving.

Two words: skin suit. ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Two words: skin suit. ;)

I have a skin suit, but I'll save it for proper races. An improved 400m PB isn't all that important to me.

I have a skin suit, but I'll save it for proper races. An improved 400m PB isn't all that important to me.

It was a joke. ;) My second suggestion was going to be....try a diving start. All tongue in cheek. :)

Do skin suits really make much of a difference? Anyone able to quantify the value - e.g. on average 1s over 100m etc. Not that we get any opportunity in tri in Ireland I suppose but for the odd pool race is there any value over a standard trisuit?

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Do skin suits really make much of a difference? Anyone able to quantify the value - e.g. on average 1s over 100m etc. Not that we get any opportunity in tri in Ireland I suppose but for the odd pool race is there any value over a standard trisuit?

Do (legal) swim skins really make much of a difference? Yes. To quantify just how much is tricky....as I would assume the same issues with quantifying how much time a wet suit saves you are also in play here. However, from my personal (and limited) experience timing myself in my pool - comparing my "every day Speedo" with the swim skin over a timed 400 - I would estimate it saved me on my best day 2 or 3 seconds per 100.

If you've never worn a swim skin, the first thing you notice when you enter the water is the "lift". There is buoyancy, you can't tell me there's not. You will also notice that water beads up on the suit as it is made of hydrophobic fabric. And of course it's tight and compressing to make you as hydrodynamic as possible.

But one of the best things in my personal opinion is that you can wear your full tri kit under the swim skin. I like this for two reasons: 1) tri kits (based on my experience) are not fast in the water (too much drag!), and 2) there is very little time wasted in T1 due to the simplicity of whipping off the swim skin. I'm swim skin all the way....and I love the one I have - a Blueseventy PZ3TX.

• Advertisement

Dory you need a 2 in 1 and ditch the changing in T1 http://orca.com/ie-en/w-rs1-killa-race-suit/

AKW wrote: »
    Dory you need a 2 in 1 and ditch the changing in T1 http://orca.com/ie-en/w-rs1-killa-race-suit/

Oooo...nice. And I love the name - "Killa". ;) I wonder if there are pockets in the back of the suit?? Don't like pockets when I swim, for obvious reasons. If there are no pockets, this could be a nice option for short distance races.....but I'd still bet a swim skin would be faster in the water. :)

Trouble with this is over here wetsuits are mandatory in all open water tris, and there are so few pool tris to make sure of a good skin suit. Are they legal for Swim Ireland OW races does anyone know?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Oooo...nice. And I love the name - "Killa". ;) I wonder if there are pockets in the back of the suit?? Don't like pockets when I swim, for obvious reasons. If there are no pockets, this could be a nice option for short distance races.....but I'd still bet a swim skin would be faster in the water. :)

Nope no pockets, and made from the same material as their swimsuit so the only way this is slower is if you did the first 400m tt in the swimsuit ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

catweazle wrote: »

My rationale is that people underestimate the effect of how salty the med sea is and the boost this gives. I swam 31min for the half there and measured it 1.96km iirc. I wouldn't get anywhere near that in fresh water (swam approx 40 mins in shadowman 2 months later, albeit that course was way long...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Unless there is a mammoth last minute update

Well done
    ZICO10 (3 Golds!) & Shell To Run
    SBR 2014 Champs :D

2015 version will be up soon.

Well done on 600+ swim km's Zico! As mentioned earlier, I have a bottle of the finest red for the swim winner, which I'll give to you when next our paths cross.

well ball$, finished just 65km short of a silver in running, which would have given me silver across the board.

next/this year..:)

Advertisement