Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flights booked for early July

Options
  • 30-05-2020 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have flights booked with Aer Lingus for early July and basically I don't want to go due to the Corona virus situation.
    I presume that flights will be more regular at that stage so a higher chance they will go ahead so what are my options here?
    BTW - the hotel was booked with a non refundable advance pay rate and they have offered me a voucher to use until the end of next year.
    I do have travel insurance but I presume I can't claim if the flights go ahead and the hotel have offered me the voucher.

Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭xlogo

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think the rule is, if the airline cancels you will get a refund, if you cancel you may get a voucher for a future date.

Have you contacted the airline yet about your options?

Have you contacted the airline yet about your options?

I think fare conditions apply so I won't get a refund only part of it (booked on the saver rate)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭johnire

Surely though unless you're living within 20 km of your airport then you can't travel? Could you use this as leverage to get a refund or a voucher?

johnire wrote:
    Surely though unless you're living within 20 km of your airport then you can't travel? Could you use this as leverage to get a refund or a voucher?

Will that not have changed by July?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭gipi

Aren't Aer Lingus offering change of dates for flights up to September with no change fee? You might like to travel later in the year?

gipi wrote:
    Aren't Aer Lingus offering change of dates for flights up to September with no change fee? You might like to travel later in the year?

No I can't go later in the year and this is the option on vouchers...

If you're scheduled to fly with us before 30 June 2020, you can apply for a voucher, plus an extra 10%. Apply for this by filling in your details on the voucher request form. We'll send you a voucher for the full value of your flight (including taxes and charges), plus an extra 10%. So if your flight cost at total of €200, we'll send you a €220 voucher. Terms and Conditions apply. See more details and FAQs on the voucher request page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭johnire

It changes on July 20th so if you're due to travel before that date and you're further than 20 km from the airport then you can't!
    xlogo wrote: »
    Will that not have changed by July?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Hi,

I have flights booked with Aer Lingus for early July and basically I don't want to go due to the Corona virus situation.
    I presume that flights will be more regular at that stage so a higher chance they will go ahead so what are my options here?
    BTW - the hotel was booked with a non refundable advance pay rate and they have offered me a voucher to use until the end of next year.
    I do have travel insurance but I presume I can't claim if the flights go ahead and the hotel have offered me the voucher.

Ta.

Some travel insurance policies will pay out if dept of Foreign Affairs guidance says to avoid non-essential travel and/or avoid destination, regardless of whether flight goes ahead or not. Check your insurers website. My annual policy with Aviva will cover it, provided policy was in place before booking, and booking was made before the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Peckham

Note of caution. I have annual travel policy too. Have renewed same policy for many years. Holiday booked in January, travel is in August. However travel insurance policy expires in June. Travel insurance company have told me that they won't cover any cancellation as my new policy will have an exclusion cause for Covid.

I can cancel now and try to claim under my existing policy, but no guarantee they will pay out as it's not guaranteed that I won't be able to travel in August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Peckham wrote: »
    Note of caution. I have annual travel policy too. Have renewed same policy for many years. Holiday booked in January, travel is in August. However travel insurance policy expires in June. Travel insurance company have told me that they won't cover any cancellation as my new policy will have an exclusion cause for Covid.

Same happened to me, travelling to US in September (will be changing it to Sept 2021 even if there is a change fee) - have held annual travel insurance for years, when I booked policy had cover for Covid - renewal due now and no Covid so will not be covered in September either for illness or to cancel the trip - not impressed - there should have been some continuity of cover as with Health Insurers.

Even had the cover been there I would expect the insurer to argue flights are going and a period of quarantine on arrival or return is not insurable reason to cancel but it would have been nice to have that option for a 'discussion' with them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,176 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We have flights booked with Ryanair for July 1st, booked them back in the first week in January and took out a trip specific travel insurance policy about 2 weeks later with chill.ie (we have no need for annual cover as we'd only travel once a year)
    As the situation developed we were fully expecting our flights to be cancelled & that would be that, refund process (albeit a long one) etc. to follow, but now with Ryanair declaring the skies are open from that date it looks like our flight will be going and there'd be no refund available as at that stage its our choice not to travel (i cant take the risk of a 14 day quarantine on return as works have already advised I'll be required to attend meetings etc.)
    I then thought, if the DFA are advising against non essential travel at that time I might have a case with the insurer so will be following that up next, but the way things are moving wouldn't be surprised to see that recommendation to not travel be lifted for that very day and us having no recourse at all and being a few grand out of pocket.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

got onto Ryanair support earlier. They're not doing anything for people booked in early July if the flight is still running, you can change your dates but the usual fees apply. We've already cancelled the accommodation, as the balance was due and there was no way I was paying it on the off chance the restrictions are lifted early.

While I was talking to them I asked about our cancelled flights from April...
    RA "We sent you a voucher"
    Me "You'd already promised us a refund, and I didn't accept the voucher"
    RA "We're assuming everyone accepted the voucher"
    Me "Well I don't accept it"
    RA "OK, we'll process your refund" (God knows how long it will take now).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Interesting articles in Forbes:
    "An investigation by travel website Skift found that some airlines are selling tickets to flights they have already told their shareholders won’t be running. "
    "The European Commission said it will look into the issue of whether tickets for already-cancelled flights are being sold online. "
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/davekeating/2020/06/04/thinking-of-summer-travel-maybe-think-again/
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/davekeating/2020/05/29/careful-when-booking-covid-flightssome-arent-real/

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Skyfloater

Aer lingus cancelled flights from Shannon to Barcelona out 4th July, and on their site they are not taking bookings to Spain before 20 July. They were selling these seats up until yesterday. This affects Dublin flights too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Yep I'm having the same issue with Aer Lingus and going around in circles. We were due to fly to Alicante on July 8th for a week and our balance is due with the travel company in a couple of weeks obviously I don't want to pay the balance but cannot get an answer from the airline.

They've basically said that the flight is still running and have said we can change the dates if we wish online, however when I go to change them there are no flights showing to Alicante in 2021 at all and around in cirlces we go being told that we can cancel and get taxes back or change flights online.

Even if flights do run and travel restrictions are lifted I have a high risk child (Son with rare medical condition effecting his organs) so cannot travel no matter what happens with the restrictions so am between a rock and hard place now of losing a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

Hi,

Ta.

Aer Lingus have a great offer that allows you to rebook to any destination with no fees until Sept 30th.
    You need to rebook to a flight that is likely to be cancelled.

1. Check if flight is flying two days before on flight status.
    If it's not on flight status and no flight within 2 hours, happy days, request refund.
    2. If it is flying.
    Change to any flight to any destination that looks like it will be cancelled before 30 Sept.

Repeat until you book a cancelled flight.

Request refund!

See detailed process in #711
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058073699&page=48

Irishcrx wrote:
    Yep I'm having the same issue with Aer Lingus and going around in circles. We were due to fly to Alicante on July 8th for a week and our balance is due with the travel company in a couple of weeks obviously I don't want to pay the balance but cannot get an answer from the airline.

Try call them (01 761 7834) give them your booking reference number and ask for a full refund.
    Government advice is only for essential travel only. Or if you booked through an agency ask them can you cancel with a refund if a doctor provides a letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Interesting development today:
    "Ryanair removes flights change fee on all new July and August bookings -
    from 10 June, customers who book to travel in July and August will be able to move their flights with zero change fee to travel until the 31 Dec 2020."
    Source: https://www.traveldailynews.com/post/ryanair-removes-flights-change-fee-on-all-new-july-and-august-bookings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

otnomart wrote: »
    Interesting development today:
    "Ryanair removes flights change fee on all new July and August bookings -
    from 10 June, customers who book to travel in July and August will be able to move their flights with zero change fee to travel until the 31 Dec 2020."
    Source: https://www.traveldailynews.com/post/ryanair-removes-flights-change-fee-on-all-new-july-and-august-bookings

So tough luck to those who booked prior to all this. Feels more like a publicity stunt than anything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

masterK wrote: »
    So tough luck to those who booked prior to all this. Feels more like a publicity stunt than anything.

Nah, they're just trying to boost late bookings.

faceman wrote: »
    Nah, they're just trying to boost late bookings.

IMO, A sign that the uptake for July hasn't been great despite all their fanfare around the skies opening on July 1st :rolleyes:

The only flights that will go will be the ones that families booked up & paid for early in the year for the normal summer school closure as they'll probably have covered the cost of the flight already, meaning even if they fly empty Ryanair wont have to refund.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideline warrior

One half of our family have Ryanair Lanzarote flts from Shannon booked on July 5 (paid in Feb) with the other half on the same flt out of Shannon on Feb 12 and we then all travel back together on July 19. Staying in a private house so can pretty much stay to our ourselves for the hols, if necessary and avoid much interaction with anyone. Flight still appears to be going and we will go IF the quarantine is lifted by the time we return on July 19. However we have no choice but to back into work on July 20 as quarantine is absolutely not an option. At least if Ryanair were to cxl the flights, we would take the voucher and go later. But it absolutely sickens us that we could lose the €1,700 paid for flts, as it's money that was saved long and hard for and we've been working stressfully through the crisis, done all the right things as instructed and are badly in need of a break. I'm sure there are lots of other families in the same boat but the fact that Ryanair can take the piss like this doesn't seem to be of concern to any of the authorities. What chance of the quarantine being lifted, especially as Lanza is currently less risky than us going to work every day here?? Balls of a situation. We can live with not going on hols in July, if that's the case, but it's losing the €1,700 that's the killer.

One half of our family have Ryanair Lanzarote flts from Shannon booked on July 5 (paid in Feb) with the other half on the same flt out of Shannon on Feb 12 and we then all travel back together on July 19. Staying in a private house so can pretty much stay to our ourselves for the hols, if necessary and avoid much interaction with anyone. Flight still appears to be going and we will go IF the quarantine is lifted by the time we return on July 19. However we have no choice but to back into work on July 20 as quarantine is absolutely not an option. At least if Ryanair were to cxl the flights, we would take the voucher and go later. But it absolutely sickens us that we could lose the €1,700 paid for flts, as it's money that was saved long and hard for and we've been working stressfully through the crisis, done all the right things as instructed and are badly in need of a break. I'm sure there are lots of other families in the same boat but the fact that Ryanair can take the piss like this doesn't seem to be of concern to any of the authorities. What chance of the quarantine being lifted, especially as Lanza is currently less risky than us going to work every day here?? Balls of a situation. We can live with not going on hols in July, if that's the case, but it's losing the €1,700 that's the killer.

Meet your brother. We're being chased by the travel agent for the balance on the hotel as well when all thats being offered as a backup is a credit note up to June 2021 which is of zero use to us. Looking for another lump of cash that we have no intention of paying, why throw good money after bad.

But Ryanair & their July 1st nonsense is the real nugget, thats the keystone to us losing over 2.5k... so frustrating that theres no joined up thinking from Government around this. DFA advice to not travel 'may be lifted' then again it may not, there 'may' be quarantine on return, again this is not an option for me with work so instead its a 'thanks for the cash but tough luck' :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Same situation here, flying out July 4th, fully paid since Jan.

Really not sure how the Gov has let RA away with this, have sent an email to local TD. It's a bit much expecting people to stick to Gov protocols over the previous months and then just let RA away with this, MO'L in his usually ways is actively promoting breaking Gov protocols.

The Gov were fairly active in stopping citizens making non-essential travel a few weeks ago, will they stop commerical planes to holiday destinations? I suspect not and it'll leave a sour taste after doing our bit when asked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

DvB wrote: »
    Meet your brother. We're being chased by the travel agent for the balance on the hotel as well when all thats being offered as a backup is a credit note up to June 2021 which is of zero use to us. Looking for another lump of cash that we have no intention of paying, why throw good money after bad.

But Ryanair & their July 1st nonsense is the real nugget, thats the keystone to us losing over 2.5k... so frustrating that theres no joined up thinking from Government around this. DFA advice to not travel 'may be lifted' then again it may not, there 'may' be quarantine on return, again this is not an option for me with work so instead its a 'thanks for the cash but tough luck' :mad:

The issue isn’t Ryanair. It’s the government’s inflexibility with travel. At it stands Spain said they’re opening their borders as of July 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

We're in a similar situation to some of ye. Had Flights and Hotel booked through Travel Republic, 11-19 July. Have cancelled the hotel, but the Ryanair flights are already paid for. The question I have is this: if the particular flight is cancelled, but there is another flight going out that day, can I get a refund? For example, our flight out is at 16:40, but it appears that the only flight that day is 09:30. Similar on the way back, though the time difference isn't that big.

faceman wrote: »
    The issue isn’t Ryanair. It’s the government’s inflexibility with travel. At it stands Spain said they’re opening their borders as of July 1st

That's a fair point.

But, given the DFA's ongoing advice against non essential foreign travel, forgive me for seeing this for what it really is (or what I suspect it is), Ryanair flying purely to avoid issuing refunds/vouchers irrelevant of the DFA advice in place on July 1st.

Now, I appreciate that could change on June 30th to reflect the rumblings coming from Spain, but surely some notice to allow preparation would be reasonable? A lot of planning goes into a family holiday & gambling hard earned cash or whether or not we'll need to quarantine for 2 weeks on our return, up until the day you fly isn't my idea of fun.

DvB wrote: »
    That's a fair point.

But, given the DFA's ongoing advice against non essential foreign travel, forgive me for seeing this for what it really is (or what I suspect it is), Ryanair flying purely to avoid issuing refunds/vouchers irrelevant of the DFA advice in place on July 1st.

Now, I appreciate that could change on June 30th to reflect the rumblings coming from Spain, but surely some notice to allow preparation would be reasonable? A lot of planning goes into a family holiday & gambling hard earned cash or whether or not we'll need to quarantine for 2 weeks on our return, up until the day you fly isn't my idea of fun.

I like to Ryanair bash as much as the next person. However the media has reported on refund delays including interviews with O’Leary. At one point they had €1bn to repay which given how banking in Europe works will take time to work through. It’s the same for other airlines. I have a friend awaiting refunds for similar lengths from Aer Lingus

Not trying to undermine the frustration you’re experiencing.

Ryanair like other airlines are lobbying governments to drop the quarantine talk and provide better clarity. Ireland is one country in the EU that is very much behind in that regard

Hopefully we get some clarity in the next week or two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

We are in a similar position, Due to fly from Cork to Lanzarote on the 18th July, Have changed the hotel to similar dates next year. Now wondering what will happen to the flights around the time we are due to fly. If flights do go ahead, only options i can see are to travel (bit apprehensive about that option)Hotel said they should be ok to revert booking as it opens on 16th July, Transfer flights to later in the year and pay transfer fee as cant book flights for same time next year.

Advertisement