Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smyths toys €10 0ff €50 spend cancelled for 2020

Options
  • 23-09-2020 7:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭

so this is not a bargain alert but bargain related and more of a heads up for parents like me that rely on smyths vouchers every year for Christmas, they have decided to scrap the €10 0ff €50 spend 2020 to reduce footfall in store, they are promising discounts but i think that is nonsense.
    this offer has proved very good over the years for me and others i know and keeps customers returning throughout the year, i think it is a big mistake to cencel it and surely they could have done it online, with the current exchange rate Amazon wlll work out cheaper.

Mods feels free to move if this is out of line

The internet isn’t for everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

You would think they would run it online wouldn’t you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

A likely excuse! You’ll find that from here on in, Covid will be the reason spun for everything and anything you can think of

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Businesses have suffered incredibly in recent months. I fully understand that businesses may not be in a position to offer heavy discounts at the moment. Many are probably entirely depending on reasonable Christmas sales for their survival.

I'd rather spend money with Smyths than Amazon if there wasn't much in the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

I heard about this a couple of weeks ago. As someone said, why can't they just operate it online instead? Smyths were open throughout early days of the lockdown, offered a click and collect service, they shouldn't have been too badly affected.

I noticed they increased the price of the Switch Lite by €10 when new stock arrived last month. I saved €26 ordering it on Amazon instead.

Smyths is blacklisted by me for this year, will do the bulk of the Xmas toy shopping on Amazon especially since the exchange rate is decent and prices are generally cheaper.

Bad move by Smyths really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

In fairness Smyths prices are competitive, especially when compared to other B&M stores. The 10 off 50 was a great offer but like others have said they have probably been hard hit by Covid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I spent €400 on a few toys two weeks ago and compared every price to amazon and Argos and saved €160 and I was working from a specific list rather than selecting amazon bargains
    I always use smyths but with the € for £ at the moment and using Revolut it’s a big difference

What's the advantage of Revolut? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭recyclops

are people now complaining because a company is not giving them free money?

so much for the be kind and shop local trends online, Amazon will save you cash now but when the jobs start being lost here and our taxes go up to support a struggling economy youll be certain Amazon wont care.

As a nation we tend to be able to not see past our own noses and now its gone as far as the bargain alert is " dont go to smyths, amazon is cheaper " wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Doodah7 wrote: »
    More Facebook arseh0lery... when will it end.

The left for ya, absolute poison.

recyclops wrote: »

Yip, they're not giving free money and they've increased prices, that's a double-whammy for parents who maybe have no other outlet to purchase items. Argos have put prices up aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Surely all businesses have been forced to suffer tremendously because of the enforced lockdowns. Think of all their staff and the staff's families. Then stop worrying about €10. Can most people even afford Christmas presents this year anyway?

• Advertisement

DareGod wrote: »
    Surely all businesses have been forced to suffer tremendously because of the enforced lockdowns. Think of all their staff and the staff's families. Then stop worrying about €10. Can most people even afford Christmas presents this year anyway?

Smyths were open during the enforced lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭recyclops

van_beano wrote: »

but less people were going in there as nobody really wants to be wandering around shops with kids.

They are probably also budgeting for a more difficult year or two ahead.

but less people were going in there as nobody really wants to be wandering around shops with kids.

They are probably also budgeting for a more difficult year or two ahead.

There was no wandering to be done, it was a click and collect service and the queues outside the Fonthill one was a sight to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Dognapper

OmegaGene wrote: »
    so this is not a bargain alert but bargain related and more of a heads up for parents like me that rely on smyths vouchers every year for Christmas, they have decided to scrap the €10 0ff €50 spend 2020 to reduce footfall in store, they are promising discounts but i think that is nonsense.
    this offer has proved very good over the years for me and others i know and keeps customers returning throughout the year, i think it is a big mistake to cencel it and surely they could have done it online, with the current exchange rate Amazon wlll work out cheaper.

Mods feels free to move if this is out of line

It’s pure greed and making the best of a panemic because they know people will need to buy the toys anyway, I won’t be buying in Smyths this year

They were closed for April and May?? Unless you mean their online operation.

The cost of freight from china has soared, that has got to be hitting the bottom line for them and making promotions like this impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Dognapper

so much for the be kind and shop local trends online, Amazon will save you cash now but when the jobs start being lost here and our taxes go up to support a struggling economy youll be certain Amazon wont care.

As a nation we tend to be able to not see past our own noses and now its gone as far as the bargain alert is " dont go to smyths, amazon is cheaper " wonderful.

No people are complaining because Smyths are profiting from misery , I was in Smyths the other day in Naas with my daughter spending her communion money , store was absolutely packed didn’t seem to bother them then but when it comes to this sale they seem to be worried about safety

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

OSI wrote: »
    They always bumped up the prices during the 10 for 50 promotion anyway so you never actually saved anything.

I noticed this last year , had my Christmas list done and priced fairly early ( October) and when I went to order and use the promotion I noticed the majority of items increased in price by about 20% .. so I was paying same money if I had purchased items before the 10 for 50 started .
    Most of the large retail companies do this Harvey Norman are particularly bad . Up the price a few weeks before a sale starts and then drop price back to original.

rob316 wrote: »
    They were closed for April and May?? Unless you mean their online operation.

The cost of freight from china has soared, that has got to be hitting the bottom line for them and making promotions like this impossible.

I'm sure if that was the reason that they would come out and say it, like waste companies do when they say the price of recycling has increased due to China. At least then it might be a bit believable.

Instead Smyths come out with the poorest excuse - not wanting a stampede in the shops! Naïve people may believe that but scratch under the surface of that excuse and you can expose many holes like, for one, provide it as an online service only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭brick tamland

OSI wrote: »
    They always bumped up the prices during the 10 for 50 promotion anyway so you never actually saved anything.

This

The deal was always September/October time but the time-Mid December came around most things were cheaper. I compared items I bought last year and would have saved more if I just waited.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It's been a tough year for retailers and we don't know what's to come.. they probably need profits where they can get them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

In fairness, its a promotion that they run if it is viable to do so. This year isnt viable so they arent doing it, at least they told people in advance about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

The lack of basic commercial sense in this thread is astounding. Not one poster has stopped to consider that perhaps the toy manufacturers increased THEIR prices and Smyths are merely passing on these increases. Smyths are not a charity but *shocker* they do have to run a business, pay their staff, rent, utilities etc. AND make a profit. It's what a business is designed to do.

The amount of whinging over not running a promotion they ran previously is pretty sad. "Will anyone think of the childurr and the Christmas" type of nonsense. The consumer does not have a right to anything in this argument. If you don't like it, vote with your wallet but otherwise let them get on with what they are doing.

Oh yeah, thanks OP, bought 10.

The lack of basic commercial sense in this thread is astounding. Not one poster has stopped to consider that perhaps the toy manufacturers increased THEIR prices and Smyths are merely passing on these increases. Smyths are not a charity but *shocker* they do have to run a business, pay their staff, rent, utilities etc. AND make a profit. It's what a business is designed to do.

The amount of whinging over not running a promotion they ran previously is pretty sad. "Will anyone think of the childurr and the Christmas" type of nonsense. The consumer does not have a right to anything in this argument. If you don't like it, vote with your wallet but otherwise let them get on with what they are doing.

Oh yeah, thanks OP, bought 10.

Agreed

Its easy to call them greedy when you haven't the foggiest about running a business and the bottom line.

Nah, not buying that. Nintendo didn't put up the Switch prices on their official site nor did Amazon but Smyths did.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Nah, not buying that. Nintendo didn't put up the Switch prices on their official site nor did Amazon but Smyths did.
    I don't think Doodah is singling out billion-dollar companies like Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft

But rather toy manufacturers whose workshops and / or factories were closed or short staffed. And even likely suffered layoffs.

Basq wrote: »
    I don't think Doodah is singling out billion-dollar companies like Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft

But rather toy manufacturers whose workshops and / or factories were closed or short staffed. And even likely suffered layoffs.

If manufacturer costs rose then I've no doubt Nintendo would have passed them on, they aren't shy with their pricing.

It's unfortunate that Smyths have the toy market completely cornered in this country, there's absolutely no real competition that provide a walk in toy shop experience. Fair enough the €10 promotion may be considered a slight-of-hand gesture with prices being high at the time of the promotion but at least it gave some semblance of a bargain. What they've done here is just heaped some bad PR on themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

If manufacturer costs rose then I've no doubt Nintendo would have passed them on, they aren't shy with their pricing.

It's unfortunate that Smyths have the toy market completely cornered in this country, there's absolutely no real competition that provide a walk in toy shop experience. Fair enough the €10 promotion may be considered a slight-of-hand gesture with prices being high at the time of the promotion but at least it gave some semblance of a bargain. What they've done here is just heaped some bad PR on themselves.

Wy are you obsessing on Nintendo? Smyths sell thousands of brands from VTech, Lego, Ravenspree jigsaws, Tony, Mattel, Fisher Price and a thousand other toys. Is it extraordinary to you that a toy shop sells toys??!! Not merely video games and consoles!

Wy are you obsessing on Nintendo? Smyths sell thousands of brands from VTech, Lego, Ravenspree jigsaws, Tony, Mattel, Fisher Price and a thousand other toys. Is it extraordinary to you that a toy shop sells toys??!! Not merely video games and consoles!

I'm obsessing with Nintendo as that's the current market that I am purchasing in so that's my point of reference for a factual discussion.

I don't know the pricing of the other items other than Lego which is also overpriced in Smyth compared to online.

Do you not find that this is a bit of PR blunder by Smyths? Could this not be seen as being slightly opportunistic in a pandemic?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,174 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Do you not find that this is a bit of PR blunder by Smyths? Could this not be seen as being slightly opportunistic in a pandemic?

How is asking people to pay the same price in November as it is in April opportunistic?

I genuinely can’t believe the level of entitlement on show in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SteM

I'm obsessing with Nintendo as that's the current market that I am purchasing in so that's my point of reference for a factual discussion.

I don't know the pricing of the other items other than Lego which is also overpriced in Smyth compared to online.

But during the lockdown Switch prices went up everywhere, not just in Smyths - there was an issue of supply and demand. The price either went up or you couldn't get stock on a lot of places.

Advertisement