Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smyths toys €10 0ff €50 spend cancelled for 2020

Options
13

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭RGARDINR


    Gru wrote: »
    i am conflicted on this topic because i love Smyths, but as has repeatedly been pointed out, Smyths did great business during covid, everything we were looking to buy during lockdown was sold out or out of stock, we had to buy elsewhere.


    i understand they don't want hoards of people rushing their stores but they could have ran it safely via a voucher system (like it was in the original years of the offer) where each household registered online gets 4 €10 off €50 spend vouchers, make them valid for 2 months and you avoid the queues.

    every year people complain they raise their prices before the promotion, and while certain promotions end (5-10% off board games for example) Lego generally stayed the same so the 20% off that was a godsend to parents (and lego lovers)


    they also have a tendency to mess up a lot too though, e.g right now they advertise "20% off selected Lego sets" on their main page, not "upto 20%" as we so often see...yet when you click on the link, no 20% off lego comes up there are various percentages but not one i could see meets the 20% advertised, so i see how people get annoyed with that.

    Smyths Lego offer

    527223.png

    Funny when you go into the lego 20% off on their website a lot of sets are full price.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc


    van_beano wrote: »
    No sense of entitlement here, people are trying to be smart with their funds.

    People are up in arms because they're not being given a 20% discount this year. That is literally a sense of entitlement.

    I'm actually amazed at posters in here who are genuinely put out by the lack of sale. Nobody knows how covid affected Smyths. Nobody knows how Smyths have projected Christmas sales with the impact of covid still hitting them. You can claim big queues, unavailable items and busy shops but nobody here knows anything, certainly not enough to claim how well placed Smyths are to run sales. Any business worth its salt will act prudently this year.

    I was hoping for the sale myself with my eye on a few higher price Lego sets. But it didn't happen. Life goes on.

    I will always shop Smyths where I can, they're a great bunch and have always done me well. People need to get a grip with their anger towards this.


  • Registered Users Posts: 30,327 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn


    Smyth's just aren't doing this offer this year. They'll probably do a few different things in the coming months if you keep an eye on it.
    They may be stuck finically.(I don't know).
    If they ran this tough you'd have massive crowds, pushing, fighting over €10 or €20 off.
    Then you'll have somebody who'll share the incident on social media and try and cause hassle for the shop and workers.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru


    People need to get a grip with their anger towards this.

    i am not angry at all, like i've said, i love Smyths, and the staff in my local one are fabulous, but they have been for a while now treating Irish based customers worse than their UK counterparts, and while each one individually may be small (not running an offer, charging for delivery, false advertising of offers, pre order access...etc) when you put it all together they are charging irish customers more, which for a "local" Irish store is irritating to some customers..


    take their delivery for example they continue to offer the Uk free delivery while removing it from their Irish customers:

    527265.jpg vs
    527266.jpg


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,995 ✭✭✭✭rob316


    There is more volume in the UK that is why shipping is cheaper so the business can cover the cost in your order. I was working with a company, we were been charged around £3 by dpd per parcel domestically, €5.20 with DPD in Ireland and we were doing far more in Ireland.

    You have to remember Ireland is very rural outside of Dublin, cost of delivering is high compared to a more densely populated country like England.


  • Advertisement
  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Gru wrote: »
    i am not angry at all, like i've said, i love Smyths, and the staff in my local one are fabulous, but they have been for a while now treating Irish based customers worse than their UK counterparts, and while each one individually may be small (not running an offer, charging for delivery, false advertising of offers, pre order access...etc) when you put it all together they are charging irish customers more, which for a "local" Irish store is irritating to some customers..

    They don't care about the customers, they care about maximising profits. For the UK market, they believe that offering free delivery over a certain amount will make the most money (due to a larger population etc.), and for the Irish market they believe their current delivery price model will maximise profits. They have people working full time figuring out what the best delivery price model is for each of their regions and will change it if they think they will make more money from a different model. They are not offering free delivery to UK customers out of the kindness of their hearts, and it certainly doesn't suggest we are treated worse than UK customers.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc


    Gru wrote: »
    i am not angry at all, like i've said, i love Smyths, and the staff in my local one are fabulous, but they have been for a while now treating Irish based customers worse than their UK counterparts, and while each one individually may be small (not running an offer, charging for delivery, false advertising of offers, pre order access...etc) when you put it all together they are charging irish customers more, which for a "local" Irish store is irritating to some customers..


    take their delivery for example they continue to offer the Uk free delivery while removing it from their Irish customers:

    527265.jpg vs
    527266.jpg

    This is completely false and you're now clearly looking for a reason to dislike Smyths because you clearly don't get deliveries from them.

    Smyths offer free shipping to account holders for the exact same price points. And this has been the way for years.

    Example below.

    Screenshot-20200924-102248.jpg


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru


    This is completely false and you're now clearly looking for a reason to dislike Smyths because you clearly don't get deliveries from them.

    Smyths offer free shipping to account holders for the exact same price points. And this has been the way for years.

    i am not actually its just a few of these issues have been raised online and like i said, while individually each one is small and likely inconsequential, when put together they show a blatant difference.


    that free shipping is a promotion on certain items i know that, i was comparing delivery like for like charges from smyths own websites both Irish and Uk. considering other irish companies offer free delivery, and companies like amazon offer free delivery to Ireland over £25 i cannot see why Smyths being a large international company cannot negotiate a better shipping deal... or one equivalent to smaller Irish retailers or other large international retailers


    look maybe Smyths Ireland is struggling more than Smyths UK (although from my dealing with them in previous times they insisted they were all the one company)

    and maybe thats why we have delivery charges, no €10 off €50 promotions, no events, less Lego promotions, no pre orders for the new consoles...etc


    but to the Irish consumer i can see why all these things mean they are annoyed at Smyths right now. And people on here trying to defend the company by ignoring all of these things doesn't stop others from being disappointed by Smyths.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Gru wrote: »
    and maybe thats why we have delivery charges, no €10 off €50 promotions, no events, less Lego promotions, no pre orders for the new consoles...etc

    The level of confirmation bias is staggering from you, it's almost cringey.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc


    Gru wrote: »

    that free shipping is a promotion on certain items i know that, i was comparing delivery like for like charges from smyths own websites both Irish and Uk. considering other irish companies offer free delivery, and companies like amazon offer free delivery to Ireland over £25 i cannot see why Smyths being a large international company cannot negotiate a better shipping deal... or one equivalent to smaller Irish retailers or other large international retailers

    They offer the same free shipping as the UK and the same items and item types are excluded from free shipping as the UK. This is a fact. You cannot argue against it. It is in black and white.

    "Free standard shipping promotion valid for ALL registered account holders on SmythsToys.com.

    Free standard shipping promotion will activate when registered user is logged in and making a home delivery purchase online at SmythsToys.com."


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru


    The level of confirmation bias is staggering from you, it's almost cringey.



    not confirmation bias, i'm using the information available clearly on their website right now:

    Smyths Ireland

    Smyths Uk


    Just because you seem intent on defending them no matter what they do or do not do, does not make everyone else wrong.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Gru wrote: »
    companies like amazon offer free delivery to Ireland over £25 i cannot see why Smyths being a large international company cannot negotiate a better shipping deal... or one equivalent to smaller Irish retailers or other large international retailers

    Oof, you really don't know what you're talking about do you?


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc


    Gru wrote: »
    not confirmation bias, i'm using the information available clearly on their website right now:

    Smyths Ireland

    Smyths Uk


    Just because you seem intent on defending them no matter what they do or do not do, does not make everyone else wrong.

    Are you not reading the free shipping promotion I've quoted. Lob something in your basket there and log into your smyths account.

    You're embarrassing yourself now as I've quoted the promotion and I've shown you evidence through a screenshot that you're wrong.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Gru wrote: »
    not confirmation bias, i'm using the information available clearly on their website right now.

    So please tell me how you know that there is more false advertising of offers in Ireland than in the UK like you claim (sorry, not claim, stated as fact).


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc


    Screenshot-20200924-104834.jpg

    Now please stop.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru


    They offer the same free shipping as the UK and the same items and item types are excluded from free shipping as the UK. This is a fact. You cannot argue against it. It is in black and white.

    "Free standard shipping promotion valid for ALL registered account holders on SmythsToys.com.

    Free standard shipping promotion will activate when registered user is logged in and making a home delivery purchase online at SmythsToys.com."

    but that is not what their website says when you click on the "Delivery from €1.99" button vs the uk's site when you click on the "Free standard delivery over £19" button, thats my point.

    the promotions come and go, their delivery information is clear....and different, its right there on their website in its little pop up box,


    all of these differences all add up...


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc


    Gru wrote: »
    but that is not what their website says when you click on the "Delivery from €1.99" button vs the uk's site when you click on the "Free standard delivery over £19" button, thats my point.

    the promotions come and go, their delivery information is clear....and different, its right there on their website in its little pop up box,


    all of these differences all add up...

    Screenshot-20200924-104834.jpg

    Stop.

    Lying.

    This is a waste of my time. I'm literally showing you how you're wrong. And you still are denying it. I'm outta here.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Gru wrote: »
    but that is not what their website says when you click on the "Delivery from €1.99" button vs the uk's site when you click on the "Free standard delivery over £19" button, thats my point.

    the promotions come and go, their delivery information is clear....and different, its right there on their website in its little pop up box,


    all of these differences all add up...

    So now you've resorted to saying that Irish customers are being screwed over because they are not advertising their delivery prices as well as on the UK site? Clutching at straws much?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru


    So please tell me how you know that there is more false advertising of offers in Ireland than in the UK like you claim (sorry, not claim, stated as fact).

    the false advertising was this:

    527278.png


    most retailers use language like "upto 20% off" when all the items on sale aren't 20% off like in this case. it's also on their website if you click into that link there are full price sets along with others at various percentages....so not 20% off selected lego city and lego friends sets.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Gru wrote: »
    most retailers use language like "upto 20% off" when all the items on sale aren't 20% off like in this case. it's also on their website if you click into that link there are full price sets along with others at various percentages....

    Yes, and what evidence do you have they have never used similar language on any of their UK sales? Do please tell us all of your research, we're dying to know.

    Also, that is not false advertising.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc


    Gru wrote: »
    the false advertising was this:

    527278.png


    most retailers use language like "upto 20% off" when all the items on sale aren't 20% off like in this case. it's also on their website if you click into that link there are full price sets along with others at various percentages....so not 20% off selected lego city and lego friends sets.

    Jesus wept. It says selected sets. Not all sets.

    This is getting a bit dense.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru


    So now you've resorted to saying that Irish customers are being screwed over because they are not advertising their delivery prices as well as on the UK site? Clutching at straws much?

    thats the avenue you got particularly aggrieved with, so thats the narrow rabbit hole the conversation went down.

    Yes, and what evidence do you have they have never used similar language on any of their UK sales? Do please tell us all of your research, we're dying to know.

    Also, that is not false advertising.

    Their pricing is on their Uk stores go take a look, because honestly you seem to take issue with the screen-grabs i've posted from their websites even though i can assure you i'm not proficient enough at photoshop to make up screen-grabs from their websites...


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Gru wrote: »
    527223.png

    I assume you're going to try to explain how this previous offer below on Smyths UK is somehow different? I assume you're gonna focus on the words "up to"?

    hk3aYz2.png

    I did 30 seconds of research to demonstrate how your argument is nonsense. Try harder to troll next time.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru


    Jesus wept. It says selected sets. Not all sets.

    This is getting a bit dense.

    they say 20% off selected sets with a Lego city and Lego Friends image, those "selected" sets were not 20% off, i believe a duplo set came closest to 20% off but if you can find the 20% off city/friends sets please do link them.


    it was just one minor part of it like i keep saying, if you are going to nitpick and take out of context my posts you will of course find out of context it does not make sense. it's the whole pie in context that paints the picture so to speak


    and what we know is Smyths have for covid reasons have decided not to run th €10 off €50 promotion. the op was right to post about it to inform those who use it year on year, they are ok to feel aggrieved, disappointed, nonchalant, like they want to shop elsewhere, whatever we want to feel, without people on here trying to defend Smyths decisions and attacking their opinions on the matter.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc


    Gru wrote: »
    thats the avenue you got particularly aggrieved with, so thats the narrow rabbit hole the conversation went down.

    You brought up how Irish customers were getting a raw deal by not getting similar postage perks as the UK, claimed that Irish customers should be getting it and referencing Amazon etc

    Then it was proved that they did in fact get the EXACT SAME SHIPPING.

    So then you quietly moved on to it actually being a disgrace that it wasn't advertised in the same way despite it being obvious to anyone who's ordered from Smyths that they have the same free shipping. And obvious to anyone who ever added an item to their basket.

    Then you moved on to poor advertising phrases that the Irish get. The same that the UK get.

    Just give up, its embarrassing to read.


  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot


    Gru wrote: »
    the false advertising was this:

    527278.png


    most retailers use language like "upto 20% off" when all the items on sale aren't 20% off like in this case. it's also on their website if you click into that link there are full price sets along with others at various percentages....so not 20% off selected lego city and lego friends sets.

    If only 1 Lego set had 20% off then there is nothing at all wrong with this advertisement. TBH it seems like you just want to give out about something but at least if you are gong to give out about it can you make sure your in the right please and stop dragging the thread off topic with nonsense.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Gru wrote: »
    they say 20% off selected sets with a Lego city and Lego Friends image, those "selected" sets were not 20% off, i believe a duplo set came closest to 20% off but if you can find the 20% off city/friends sets please do link them.

    Jesus, please do 10 seconds of research before you start contradicting yourself.

    f3FzGKz.png


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc


    Gru wrote: »

    it was just one minor part of it like i keep saying, if you are going to nitpick and take out of context my posts you will of course find out of context it does not make sense. it's the whole pie in context that paints the picture so to speak...


    ... without people on here trying to defend Smyths decisions and attacking their opinions on the matter.

    I'm simply attacking your misleading posts which are demonstrably untrue tbh.

    And the more you dig, the more it's obvious you should just stop. As it's embarrassing.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭DaveyDave


    I only shop for PlayStation games in Smyths but they're quite competitive on prices. New games are €70-75 in GameStop but €60-65 in Smyths, Argos are similar but Smyth's frequently offer €5 off for pre-ordering. Amazon are still usually cheaper by a few euro with free shipping but sometimes I don't want to wait. Plenty of good games that are 1-2 years old are as little as €20 in Smyths/Argos so I don't feel the need to bargain hunt on Amazon.

    Between Smyth's, Argos and Amazon I've gotten some good price purchases.

    If you're that stuck for cash that €10 off is an issue then don't spend the money in the first place or re-evaluate your purchases.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru


    Jesus, please do 10 seconds of research before you start contradicting yourself.

    f3FzGKz.png

    thank you now see when i was doing it granted i went through the first few (around 30 odd sets) that one was 48 sets down so i didn't see it, thanks,


    i'm not going to edit my previous posts because it'll ruin the discussion but thank you for finding the 20% off set...

    thats all i wanted was someone to show me one.


Advertisement