Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carers Benefit

Options
  • 04-06-2019 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,
    Just a quick question, I am applying for carers benefit and am at the stage of getting the Doctor to fill out his bit on the form. I called the Doctors office to see would it be ok to drop in the forms to them, to have the Doctor fill it out. Receptionist lady said I would have to book an appointment with the Doc to have them signed! Is this normal practice, I will have to take day off work and pay for appointment.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Jurgenkop wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Just a quick question, I am applying for carers benefit and am at the stage of getting the Doctor to fill out his bit on the form. I called the Doctors office to see would it be ok to drop in the forms to them, to have the Doctor fill it out. Receptionist lady said I would have to book an appointment with the Doc to have them signed! Is this normal practice, I will have to take day off work and pay for appointment.
    Thanks

GPs are having to stay late after surgery hours to complete an huge sea of paperwork like your Carers Benefit form
    This time is unpaid of course and it’s tedious and never ending. It’s part of the reason that the HSE is finding it so difficult to attract GPs. If your GP has decided that it will be done within surgery hours and in your (as the carer) presence and with your input then that’s fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Have to agree with Splinter - if you drop off the forms and the doctor has a query that just delays things further. Filling in the form is the equivalent of a visit, reasonable enough to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jurgenkop

Ya, that's sound. Just making sure its the done thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 catherinebrady

Hi can I ask has the Carer's benefit payments gone down recently - I used to get 291 per week and now I have noticed since Oct It has gone down to 254 per week
    TIA

Hi can I ask has the Carer's benefit payments gone down recently - I used to get 291 per week and now I have noticed since Oct It has gone down to 254 per week
    TIA

Hi Catherine
    You were getting €291 so you had Carers benefit for yourself €220 1 child over 12 €37 and 1 child under 12 €34.
    If your older child turned 18 then you will have lost that €37 but if he or she is in full time education then you can get it back again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bagel2010

if i am on carers benefit from jan 13 this year am i entitled to the carers support grant in june 2020 or do you have to be caring a full six months by that date in june to receive it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

bagel2010 wrote: »
    if i am on carers benefit from jan 13 this year am i entitled to the carers support grant in june 2020 or do you have to be caring a full six months by that date in june to receive it

As far as I know you must be caring for the person for at least 6 mts and that must include the first Thursday in June

If you are in receipt of Carers Benefit for any length of time you will get the Carers Support Grant in June. See below:

Rules
    The grant is paid automatically to people getting Carer's Allowance (whether full-rate or half-rate), Carer's Benefit or Domiciliary Care Allowance.

And:

In June of each year (usually on the first Thursday of the month), the DEASP pays the grant automatically to carers getting Carer's Allowance, Carer's Benefit, or Domiciliary Care Allowance from the Department. Only one Carer's Support Grant can be paid for each person getting care.

And:

How to apply
    If you are getting Carer's Allowance, Carer's Benefit or Domiciliary Care Allowance, you do not need to apply for the Carer's Support Grant. It will be automatically paid to you in June.

All snips from the citizensinformation.ie website.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭TutuKaka

Is the carer's benefit allowance tied to the carer or the child? (person being cared for)
    Can one parent take the full 104 weeks allowance and then the other parent take 104 weeks for the same child?

TutuKaka wrote: »
    Is the carer's benefit allowance tied to the carer or the child? (person being cared for)
    Can one parent take the full 104 weeks allowance and then the other parent take 104 weeks for the same child?

The Carers Benefit is applicable to the carer. Yes each parent can apply for the benefit in turn as long as each parent meets the conditions. Just be aware that each parent will have to make a brand new application it’s not a question of “transferring” benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Polly parrot

Hi I was awarded carers allowance from the 4/6/2020 to be paid into my local post office.
    I am waiting for a PPS card to collect money.
    Does anyone know how long it takes for this to arrive and how long can the money be in the post office before collecting.

Advertisement