Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Android watch should i get

Options
  • 11-04-2018 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Looking at getting a new Android watch after i accidentally damaged my Huawei Watch Series 1. I have a Samsung S8+, i have looked at the Gear S3 Frontier, it seems like the ideal companion to my phone. Just thought i would get opinions before i made the jump.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I briefly had a Gear S3 Frontier but returned it for a Hauwei Watch 2. It was a lovely looking piece of kit but I don't have a Samsung phone and due to Samsung using Tizen rather than Android a lot of the functionality is lost unless you have a Samsung.

If you've got a Samsung phone I'd say go ahead, you'll probably love it, but otherwise I'd look at other options. The Watch 2 is great for functionality (has NFC, HR sensor, GPS built in) but it's not the prettiest watch out there with more of a sports watch look unlike it's predecessor.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

Paulcon93 wrote: »
    Looking at getting a new Android watch after i accidentally damaged my Huawei Watch Series 1. I have a Samsung S8+, i have looked at the Gear S3 Frontier, it seems like the ideal companion to my phone. Just thought i would get opinions before i made the jump.

Thanks

I have the huawei 4g in terms of what you get for the money you pay don't think there is anything else out there.
    Battery last day and half.
    I did consider Michael kors and fossil have a look in Harvey Norman but in the end I chose the huawei

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BlackMask93

Both watches are very tempting, i do like the build of the Frontier more so than the Watch 2. I do enjoy Android Wear 2.0 but i don't mind the change or compromise of Tizen's software.

Offline Playlists with Spotify on the Frontier is also another bonus i'm not sure if the Watch 2 has this functionality.

The Wireless Charging on the Frontier is another small bonus that appeals over the Huawei Watch as i despise how you have to move the small proprietary charging accessory into place, hated it on the Huawei Watch Series 1.

Their are little that separate the two, it might be the convenience of the ecosystem, the fact i own an S8+ that will push me to buy that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Buy the watch now, you'll buy an S10 to match it next year. #Trapped

WearOS (its not AW anymore) is a decent platform, I wouldnt be in any rush to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

If there was android pay on tizen I would switch from one to another. But once you get use to some of the perks of android is difficult to go without them

• Advertisement

Can i use Samsung Pay at a terminal that has NFC capabilities or MST?

Similar to what Android pay uses to complete a transaction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I have the watch 2 and love it. Don't let the lack of wireless charging put you off, I bought a charging dock on Amazon for beside the bed, just drop it into it every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I have the Gear Sport and it's perfect for what I want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

Will the payments not work on the S3 in Ireland?

Its not a necessity just a feature i would like to have

• Advertisement

Both really nice bits of equipment and worth trying on both. I thought the S3 was a bit too big on my wrist, seemed to be huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

I'd go with the Gear S3 or Sport, unless payments with the watch are a must.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00061420/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Does work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I used my phone to pay for stuff twice, very amusing. They rarely see it and when they do you can see the shock in their face. Makes the whole thing worth it :p:D

I've got a ticwatch E which I enjoy, depends on if it suits your needs or not though.

Ya it's not the dinner plate that some were making out but I thought the Sport was just a much neater look and fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

No its uses Samsung Pay Which the banks dont yet support

I did try the Gear S3 on for size and i did not think it was humungous in size, noticeably larger than other smart watches though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Xiaomi amaze fit 2

I did try the Gear S3 on for size and i did not think it was humungous in size, noticeably larger than other smart watches though.

I tried the Sport before the S3 and just didn't like the size of the S3. If I hadn't tried both on together I'd probably have bought either without a second thought.

Don't think you would go wrong with either.

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Xiaomi amaze fit 2

That's a really nice looking watch. You own one?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The Amazfit runs a standalone OS, not Wear OS. A big point to be noted.

The Ticwatch and Amazefit are really nice looking watches.

I'll have a look at reviews on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lynvoh

Don't kill me guys, but how about an unbranded watch? Maybe 16gb of storage and 2gb of ram for a hundred bucks

lynvoh wrote: »
    Don't kill me guys, but how about an unbranded watch? Maybe 16gb of storage and 2gb of ram for a hundred bucks

1utfyl.jpg

I jk

What is the watch called?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Depends on what you are looking for, nfc or heart rate important? The Skagen Falster is by far the nicest looking watch at the moment imo, or the new Tag Heuer Connected if you don't mind splashing out. They don't look too big or bulky like most of the watches on the market.

Google IO is coming up at the start of next month and there are some scheduled Wear OS talks. So it might be worth waiting to see what is happening with the platform if you are thinking of moving to Tizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lynvoh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Advertisement