Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Challenge [MTV]

Options
  • 30-12-2017 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭

Any other fans of The Challenge around these parts? I got into it over the summer and have binge-watched about 12 seasons of it over the past few months (although you can essentially jump on board at any point). It's one of the Original Reality Competition shows, has been around since 1998, and pre-dates Survivor and Big Brother, but is somewhat of a combination of those two shows. For whatever reason MTV have never aired it over here, but Season 31 kicks off in the US next week. It's well worth checking out a few seasons if you can get your hands on it - it's a lot of the same cast members every season with new people brought in gradually every year, so you get to know the contestants, which makes it easier to root for them.

Thought I'd start a thread in case anyone else out there tunes in to it, as it would be nice to have somewhere to discuss it. Here's the trailer for Season 31.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

Thank you, have been looking for something now Apprentice, Survivor etc are over!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,460 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just watched the first episode of last season. Jeez it's trashy (typical MTV).

I like it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Mr E wrote: »
    Just watched the first episode of last season. Jeez it's trashy (typical MTV).

I like it. :)

:D

I think the trashiness is what really makes it so damn watchable, and also the fact that they celebrate their villainous players so much - Johnny Bananas is like the Russell Hantz (Survivor) or Evil Dick (Big Brother US) of this show, but his ruthlessness hasn't held him back because he's done about 15 seasons of the Challenge and is easily the most popular player, despite his twirly mustache villain-like moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

I am loath to admit it but it is a guilty pleasure of mine to watch this also. It is real trashy but it is addictive and you get attached to the characters. The new series has a load of UK reality stars in it for the first time so I imagine that it will be shown on MTV UK.

If anyone is looking for a more high brow reality show to watch then I would strongly recommend the Amazing Race. It is a race around the world doing a few challenges in each country and the scenery and locations are brilliant. It has even been in Ireland a couple of times. Season 30 started last night with an all new cast so you don't need to have watched previous seasons. The only slight problem I have with it is that it he has been dumbed down a lot over the years with tactics from other reality shows such as alliances and there have Big Brother and Survivor alumni in some series including the new one. Repeats of previous seasons turn up on satellite channels from time to time.

We watched TAR after a recommendation from Boards. Love it. The first season we watched was strangers and that wasn't as good as couples who knew each other. Didn't know it was back. Will have to wait a few weeks for a binge.
    Just watched S30e01 of The Challenge. Kind of like it so far, will watch a few more and decide.

• Advertisement

I've been watching The Amazing Race since the very early seasons and it is another example of a great Reality Competition Series. I thought it was in severe danger of being cancelled because it was stripped back to one season a year rather than two and moved around various different timeslots for the past few seasons, but the ratings for the Season 30 premiere last night were pretty good, so here's hoping The Amazing Race will be around for awhile yet.

Glad that quite a few people are now checking out The Challenge as well - it's up there with Survivor, The Amazing Race, and Big Brother US for me at the moment.

OK, have watched about 9 episodes in 2 days, guess I love it :D

Finished s30, can't find any more online, waaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!

Hope the new fans here are still enjoying the show. I'm very much enjoying Vendettas (Season 31; although I see a lot of links listing it as Season 32, because people have yet to realise that Champs VS Stars is a Spin-Off rather than just another season of the Challenge, but hopefully people are managing to figure that confusion out ok) and looking forward to seeing how the rest of this season plays out. As usual I can't help but find myself rooting for Johnny Bananas to win, even though I also think he's a dick.

The Execs of the show did an Interview for Rolling Stone yesterday which is quite an interesting read...
    https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/features/inside-mtvs-reality-show-juggernaut-the-challenge-w515559

Yes, we're watching Vendettas. Bit of confusion with Champs V Stars but we figured it out. I actually quite like that they put the Brits in. Kind of rooting for them, even though I wouldn't have liked them in their original shows. Good to see Victor from BB USA there too. I hope he does well.

• Advertisement

pooch90 wrote: »
    Yes, we're watching Vendettas. Bit of confusion with Champs V Stars but we figured it out. I actually quite like that they put the Brits in. Kind of rooting for them, even though I wouldn't have liked them in their original shows. Good to see Victor from BB USA there too. I hope he does well.

Champs vs Stars is well worth watching too by the way. The format is slightly different, but still very enjoyable.

Yeah, I'm hoping going forward they pull in more people from BB USA and also possibly Survivor and The Amazing Race at some point. It's great seeing Victor and Natalie adapt to this game having seen their season of Big Brother. I don't know any of the UK people because I never watched any of those shows, but there's some decent competitors amongst them, which is really all that we want.

I would have seen Kyle in GS and Kayleigh was in Ex on the Beach a few times I think but she did CBB too. Kayleigh is a whackjob!
    I agree more from TAR,BBUSA and Survivor would be great. I've no clue what the Are you the One is like, and only knowledge of Real World is about 20 years ago!
    Will check out CvS, can't handle waiting a week per episode! Just binged watched Survivor NZ in a week haha.

I would have seen Kyle in GS and Kayleigh was in Ex on the Beach a few times I think but she did CBB too. Kayleigh is a whackjob!
    I agree more from TAR,BBUSA and Survivor would be great. I've no clue what the Are you the One is like, and only knowledge of Real World is about 20 years ago!
    Will check out CvS, can't handle waiting a week per episode! Just binged watched Survivor NZ in a week haha.

I watched the first 2 seasons of Are You The One? It's a decent enough concept for a reality series, but unless they shake up the formula in later seasons it started to feel a bit repetitive to me, so I wasn't interested in watching season 3 onwards. I'd recommend watching at least a season of it, as its enjoyable to see at least once.

Thanks for all your recommendations, I've turned into a reality fiend since having babies, need some zone out tv!

The New Season looks like its gonna be class. Lots of familiar faces from other reality shows too, so its a good jumping on point for people not so familiar with The Challenge...

Really excited!
    Stephen Bear is in it. Hope he gets his ass handed to him 😂 be good to see Kyle v Paulie too. So much bluster in the last season but they spent very little time in the same house or competing.

Really excited!
    Stephen Bear is in it. Hope he gets his ass handed to him 😂 be good to see Kyle v Paulie too. So much bluster in the last season but they spent very little time in the same house or competing.

I only know Stephen Bear by reputation, having not seen any of the shows he's been on, but can see him getting his arse kicked by some of the Challenge vets.

As much as Kyle annoys me, I can't stand Paulie and I've liked Cara Maria a whole lot less (she used to be my favourite Challenge contestant aside from CT) since she got involved with either of them. Hated Paulie on his season of Big Brother (he was so misogynistic and abusive) that I can't look past that - even though he's far less awful on The Challenge... and that's saying something, because he can be pretty awful here too.

There was a preview ep on MTV (US & Canada) the other night where we got to know all the new contestants and briefly catch up with the vets for the season. Its worth checking out. The production budget for this season seems to have increased quite a lot too.

I only know Stephen Bear by reputation, having not seen any of the shows he's been on, but can see him getting his arse kicked by some of the Challenge vets.

As much as Kyle annoys me, I can't stand Paulie and I've liked Cara Maria a whole lot less (she used to be my favourite Challenge contestant aside from CT) since she got involved with either of them. Hated Paulie on his season of Big Brother (he was so misogynistic and abusive) that I can't look past that - even though he's far less awful on The Challenge... and that's saying something, because he can be pretty awful here too.

There was a preview ep on MTV (US & Canada) the other night where we got to know all the new contestants and briefly catch up with the vets for the season. Its worth checking out. The production budget for this season seems to have increased quite a lot too.

I saw Bear on his original Shipwrecked forever ago and then when he was on CBB. He's abhorant. If you haven't seen the clip of him on CBB going ape in the diary room and quickly shrink when a massive security guard came in, you need to check it out. Hilarious! Nasty little git.

Paulie is nasty. I don't think he's actually into CM. Just saw it as his way to be kept on for another season. He was awful in BB. Which is a shame because his brother Cody seemed like a decent guy.
    The promo seems good. Definitely higher budget. But some of the tasks seem like they've no health and safety team. Like the one last season with Davonne in the freezing water.

I saw Bear on his original Shipwrecked forever ago and then when he was on CBB. He's abhorant. If you haven't seen the clip of him on CBB going ape in the diary room and quickly shrink when a massive security guard came in, you need to check it out. Hilarious! Nasty little git.

Paulie is nasty. I don't think he's actually into CM. Just saw it as his way to be kept on for another season. He was awful in BB. Which is a shame because his brother Cody seemed like a decent guy.
    The promo seems good. Definitely higher budget. But some of the tasks seem like they've no health and safety team. Like the one last season with Davonne in the freezing water.

There's definitely a health and safety team and there's always ambulances on site - we've seen them show up in the past when things have seemed really bad. It's kind of like Survivor, you know there's a good medical team there, you're just not supposed to see them unless necessary.

Paulie and Cara Maria broke up recently (think it was after the filming of this season) and while I don't know the details the backlash from the other Challenge cast to Paulie has been extreme, so he obviously did something unforgivable for them to be that mad, because none of them are saints when it comes to relationships.

There's definitely a health and safety team and there's always ambulances on site - we've seen them show up in the past when things have seemed really bad. It's kind of like Survivor, you know there's a good medical team there, you're just not supposed to see them unless necessary.

Paulie and Cara Maria broke up recently (think it was after the filming of this season) and while I don't know the details the backlash from the other Challenge cast to Paulie has been extreme, so he obviously did something unforgivable for them to be that mad, because none of them are saints when it comes to relationships.
    He's a horrible little man.
    Looking forward to the fall out between Ashley and Hunter too.
    I know they've medical teams etc, just some of the tasks look so dangerous and ill thought out sometimes. Whereas in Survivor you don't think someone will get properly hurt.

• Advertisement

I know they've medical teams etc, just some of the tasks look so dangerous and ill thought out sometimes. Whereas in Survivor you don't think someone will get properly hurt.

Yeah I know what you mean. I guess I just look at at it a bit differently; while I see Survivor as more of an every-person's game, I tend to think of The Challenge as more of a Extreme Sports type of game, despite many of the contestants being far from top athlete's. I just see it as being as risky as any contact sport really.

Have you been watching? I think it's a great season. Team UK are doing so well, I'm shocked!! Bear being Bear but I'm enjoying the him vs Wes rivalry. I do feel bad for Da'vonne that she's been getting the backlash of his antics though. Feel bad for Kyle too, really has grown on me since he joined The Challenge. So many ex champs gone early too and we never got a good Ashley V Hunter showdown. Individual game will be interesting, I wonder how many partners stay vaguely loyal to each other? I reckon Paulie will ditch Ninja like hot snot.

I'm loving this season. It's good that they're keeping to the format of challenge and elimination in one episode - they had been dragging things out just a tad too much for a few seasons there.

Honestly the only person who I can't stand this season is Cara Maria - she used to be one of my absolute favourites but she's just way too much and acting a bit gross at the moment. As much as I despised Paulie on his season of Big Brother, I think he's a very good addition to The Challenge, and really the only negative thing about his game at the moment is his relationship with Cara Maria. Kinda rooting for Da'vonne or Turbo to win at this stage, and would like to see Wes and Kam make it to the end too. I don't dislike the UK crew, but I also haven't warmed to them much, except for Kyle who's been around for a couple of seasons and I actually think is great for The Challenge - again his biggest downfall is the whole Cara Maria thing.

I don't think the producers are willing to drop either Cara Maria or Bananas out for a season or two at this stage, but I wouldn't mind having a break from Cara especially. Bananas is always good to have around and I do enjoy him, but he's doing a couple of other things on the side so its obvious his focus isn't on The Challenge right now and it does no harm for the likes of CT or Wes to disappear for a season here and there, so don't think it would hinder his popularity in any way.

Yeah I much prefer the format where you get to see who's eliminated each week. The cliff hangers were just unnecessary.

The UK crew are doing much better than I'd anticipated. I didn't expect much of Georgia but she's competing well. Theo was really annoying on LI but less so on this. Ashley is still a meat head with a big gob.

I had never seen Wes before but based on this season, I like him. Not sure if he was an A-hole in previous seasons or not.

I think CM is trying to shock people with the constant lewd comments/behaviour and it's just eyerolling at best. She doesn't seem as focused as other years. Maybe it's just extra confidence(or the illusion of) now that she has an ally and the mean girls can't isolate her anymore. But a year without her would be no harm.

Wes used to be one of the biggest names in The Challenge and his rivalry with Bananas is one of the most prominent in the show's history. He took a few years off there recently to go back to college and get a Masters or something like that. He's always been cocky, but to be fair he's got one of the best track records for winning competitions and more elimination wins than anyone else, and he's also one of the best strategists when it comes to the game. If Wes, Bananas, CT, Leroy, etc would all actually work together for a season instead of going after each other constantly, they'd be fairly unstoppable.

https://hollywoodlife.com/2019/08/09/the-challenge-season-34-cast-war-of-the-worlds-2/

Woohoo! Looking forward to this. UK v USA should be good

Total Madness is already the best season in years because Paulie and Cara Maria are not on it. Was so sick of them the last few seasons.

That was easily the best Season in a long time, so hopefully they can keep up that same energy whenever the next season rolls around.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,460 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I just finished Season 35. I think I tried an earlier season (see top of thread), but it didn't click with me back then.

This one was terrific though. I now see why fans like it so much. The format is great.

For the record, Bear is a total tool and I didn't like Bananas at first, but ended up really liking him.
    Josh is still an unstable crybaby. :)

Roll on Season 36!

Pity there is no easy way to watch older seasons (and yes, I looked).

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    I just finished Season 35. I think I tried an earlier season (see top of thread), but it didn't click with me back then.

This one was terrific though. I now see why fans like it so much. The format is great.

For the record, Bear is a total tool and I didn't like Bananas at first, but ended up really liking him.
    Josh is still an unstable crybaby. :)

Roll on Season 36!

Pity there is no easy way to watch older seasons (and yes, I looked).

Yay, we got another convert! It's probably the reality show I most look forward to these days to be fair to it, once you get on board and get to know the cast of recurring faces, it's class.

Bananas is an absolute d*ckhead, but it's also impossible not to like him. Himself, CT, Wes, Leroy (wasn't on Season 35, but features regularly), and Sarah (who hasn't been on in quite a few years) would be my personal favourites.

In regard to older seasons, I regularly fly over to Canada myself (as you may know ;)) and their MTV website has from season 19 onwards if you ever find yourself over in Canada (although they're a bit hidden away - go into the most recent season and you'll find a dropdown menu for older seasons).

Advertisement