Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venom (Sony Universe)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Apparently Sony is now planning spinoff movies for Kraken the Hunter and Mysterio... I mean, what are they doing....

http://screenrant.com/sony-spider-man-spinoffs-mysterio-kraven/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And you get a movie... and you get a movie... and you get a movie...

The eagerness with which all studios have chased the Shared Universe tag is kind of pathetic at this stage. I mean I don't blame them for wanting some of that sweet MCU long-game cash, but even so...

pixelburp wrote: »
    And you get a movie... and you get a movie... and you get a movie...

The eagerness with which all studios have chased the Shared Universe tag is kind of pathetic at this stage. I mean I don't blame them for wanting some of that sweet MCU long-game cash, but even so...

Yeah but their problem is the lack of foresight they're showing. Now obviously Sony is more limited than DC or Fox, given that all of their heroes are basically Spider-related so making them distinct is going to be a bit harder but like... that's why you pay writers and producers and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,273 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah but their problem is the lack of foresight they're showing. Now obviously Sony is more limited than DC or Fox, given that all of their heroes are basically Spider-related so making them distinct is going to be a bit harder but like... that's why you pay writers and producers and so on.

That plus they're trying to build a shared universe off the back of one character, which means every other character they can make a film out of is either a villain or a lower-tier hero. And you can't use too many of the villains as heroes in their own films or you run the risk of having to go with lower-tier villains as both the villains in those movies and in Spider-Man movies.

Just extend the rights to all the characters to Marvel, let Marvel do the movies and Sony share in the profits of those movies. No effort, all profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

It's a compliment really, Marvel raised the bar and the rest are lagging behind. I don't mind Studios trying to to replicate it as there's only so many films that studios can franchise the **** out of (for example, the Fast and Caribbean films). You might say "well, they shouldn't be so cash grabby and accept not everything can be franchised or made into a shared universe".....to that I say, let's be real for a second.

The Shared Universe strategy can become self sufficient if executed properly. You can't blame studios for wanting to replicate that.....all they're really doing is reacting to the evolving situation for what they're in the business to do: make a **** load of cash.

Sure, what the likes of Sony are doing is painfully cringeworthy and greedy. Mainly because they just haven't got the library to justify what they are doing. And that's cool, they know the game even if they might think right now that they can't lose.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    It's a compliment really, Marvel raised the bar and the rest are lagging behind. I don't mind Studios trying to to replicate it as there's only so many films that studios can franchise the **** out of (for example, the Fast and Caribbean films). You might say "well, they shouldn't be so cash grabby and accept not everything can be franchised or made into a shared universe".....to that I say, let's be real for a second.

The Shared Universe strategy can become self sufficient if executed properly. You can't blame studios for wanting to replicate that.....all they're really doing is reacting to the evolving situation for what they're in the business to do: make a **** load of cash.

Sure, what the likes of Sony are doing is painfully cringeworthy and greedy. Mainly because they just haven't got the library to justify what they are doing. And that's cool, they know the game even if they might think right now that they can't lose.

"... if executed properly." That's the problem though, bar the MCU all have been hot messes, precisely because of the usual problem of seeing the success, but not understanding the why. Everyone else has been in a rush to create the Shared Universe, but never putting in the effort to let it grow, starting small or even understanding the basic appeal in the first place: even the MCU didn't start that way - Marvel Studios had the good sense to at least tell a few independent stories, with just the occasional easter egg by way of an extra-credits scene, before pulling the threads together.

No, you got films trying to fast-track the mythology through backdoor pilot movies (such as The Mummy, or Batman v. Superman), or else the universe is built from an dull, tiny source nobody actually cares about (The Mummy again, the whole Ghost Corps fiasco, or the aforementioned Sony Spider-Man 'villains' universe), Or to really triple-down on kicking The Mummy, they completely defang the original mythology's tone, so the few fans interested walk away. And in the case of the few Shared Universe that have precedent for crossover already - such as Legendary's Godzilla/Kong-themed one - you may still end up with churned-out, human focused banality that misses the whole damn point of said Shared Universe!

You're right, I can't blame them for wanting some of that sweet MCU cash, but that doesn't make it any less a poisonous addiction or pure greed all the same. Plus, at least in the past when Hollywood aped a success story, it was usually around a single genre or film - Star Wars being a pretty good example - now there's this bloated false economy that's continuously trying to kickstart a multi-film demand before demand even exists for it. It's madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I think some people forget that the road wasn't smooth to The Avengers. Between the poor reception to TIH to the frustration over IM2, TA was never guaranteed to be a success, even in the run up to its release.

Marvel Studios could have bottled it as they were given enough reason to. But in the end perseverance prevailed and the MCU became the beast it is now.

It's that same perseverance that gave us eventually Wonder Woman in the DCEU as if some fans had their way, the DCEU would have stopped at BvS and most certainly with SS.

I just find it frustrating seeing this clamour to end something very much still in its infancy just because it dared to emulate a successful formula. Sure there are some studios embarrassing themselves announcing this and that but in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't anger me like it seems to anger others. Sony announcing Kraven The Hunter is the equivalent of some cute hooer chancing their arm. It's fcukwittery that one has to put up with, and I'm most certainly willing to if the opposite of that is casting Tom Hardy as Venom.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,338 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

FYI: Just spoke w/ Amy Pascal & Kevin Feige who clarified that Venom, Black Cat, etc are in the Marvel comics universe but not the MCU

https://twitter.com/ErikDavis/status/878995450354913280?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Called it.

TBF 99% of us did...

Recently watched an interesting video that put forward the point that, if you want more Spidey in the MCU, the worst possible thing that can happen is a successful Venom film, as it'll mean come negotiation time with Marvel Sony will have a strong hand and, make no mistake, while Pascal are in power, Sony will find a way to mess the majority of this stuff up (this is the company that's responsible for Ghostbusters and couldn't get a He-Man film out while Transformers was riding the nostalgia gap wave).

That being said if the film's good I'm going to see it, I love the MCU but you gotta encourage the films you want to see :)

• Advertisement

Yeah it's a double edged sword. Spidey has always been my favourite Marvel character but I don't like any of the Spider-man films so far. His best outing was in Civil War so I'm really hopeful about Homecoming but if Sony boot Feige off the movies at some point, I think it'll just go back to how it was.

I'll be looking out for the warning signs in Homecoming:

Spidey in front of American flag
    Villain explains their motivation via a monologue
    Spidey is unmasked for final fight

^^those three things have happened in every Spidey film to date and they annoyed me every time...

Trailer drops tomorrow
    image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fewedit.files.wordpress.com%2F2018%2F02%2Fvenom-dom-vnm_online_1sht_tsr_rd3dimax_01_rgb.jpg&w=1100&q=85

I'm guessing this is the dedicated Sony Universe thread.

Spike Lee wants to direct Nightwatch.

“Nightwatch” would be a part of Sony’s “Spider-Man” universe along with other properties such as “Venom,” “Silver and Black,” and “Morbius the Living Vampire”
    Insiders caution that Spike Lee’s potential involvement is in the very early stages, but that he could potentially direct the superhero film written by “Luke Cage” showrunner Cheo Hodari Coker.

“Nightwatch” centers on African-American scientist Dr. Kevin Trench, a man who witnessed a costumed man die battling some terrorists armed with invisibility-generating cloaking devices.

The kicker is that Trench unmasked the corpse to learn that it was an older version of himself. The character was first introduced in 1993’s “Web of Spider-Man No. 97,” and even has his own short lived, self-titled series.

Sony Executive Vice President Palak Patel is supervising the “Nightwatch” development along with the rest of the “Spider-Man” universe properties.

https://www.thewrap.com/spike-lee-superhero-movie-nightwatch/

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

New trailer for the film

It's a MASSIVELY marked improvement on the
    Topher Grace in Spider-Man 3

Actually looking forward to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Hope I'm wrong but got an FF Reboot vibe off it. Doesn't help that they released a trailer with a lot of effects that seem incomplete. Aesthetic feels similar too.

I liked Venom's voice though.

Is there a slight hint of the Infinity War music in the trailer, albeit completely slowed down? Cause I'm hearing it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Jesus that doesn't look good at all. I'm usually one to hold off on being overly negative until I've seen the film but that's a very bad trailer. Hopefully not indicative of the final film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Think it looks deadly and i cant wait to see it

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Is there a slight hint of the Infinity War music in the trailer, albeit completely slowed down? Cause I'm hearing it...

It's the same track as the second infinity war trailer.

Sony seem desperate to attach Venom to the MCU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That looks awesome can't wait to see that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

There's not really a general, 'Sony' related thread, but I'm reading that the latest spin-off the studio is exploring is an adaptation of 'Silk'. Hadn't heard of her til I read the news - seemed pretty left-field even by Sony's standards

37057243_277666276317499_4040804175238397952_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeH-ntSqUBJzj8coBQzqccPq7F6439UeDt2eU_cbO5EzTnzV9WckAVgms1DVRwXAZ39WRXhkbOoAWKMrJ06fonym90cX4Zy47PXKduSLMFdylw&oh=63433448d397ec3ada3a2a790423bc74&oe=5BA134B3

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

WTF

:eek:
    Tom Hardy adds, “Go toe to toe with Tom Holland? I’ll have a go! He’s an awesome actor. I’d love to work with him.” #Venom #SDCC2018 #SonyAtSDCC

https://twitter.com/SonyPictures/status/1020498384996655105

Sounds like a bit of an AVP situation. Who's gonna die?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Anyone going to see this/seen it yet

Anyone going to see this/seen it yet

Nope. Initial reviews are not too positive so far. Supposedly all over the place tonally (going from dark sci-fi horror to buddy cop).

Sony Pictures is staking out two significant dates in 2020 for their piece of the Marvel pie, the Spider-Man universe.

An untitled Sony-Marvel project will hit theaters on July 10, 2020, with an untitled Sony-Marvel sequel following on Oct. 2.

While no specifics were provided in the studio’s announcement, the July project is likely “Morbius,” starring Jared Leto. The character is another villain from the Spidey canon, which will be shepherded by “Safe House” director Daniel Espinosa. Morbius first surfaced in the 1971 comic “The Amazing Spider-Man,” as a scientist seeking a cure for a blood disease. Things don’t go as planned, and the doctor winds up with vampiric traits and a thirst for blood.

That project should arrive with significant anticipation, given how well the studio fared by playing up another Spider-Man villain in Venom. Speaking of the symbiote, the second date is presumably for “Venom 2,” which will see Tom Hardy return as a gruff journalist sharing a body with an alien keen on invading the planet.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/spider-man-universe-movies-2020-sony-1203034837/

• Advertisement
Advertisement