Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chris Evans confirmed as new TOP Gear presenter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

New Series starts 8th May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

New Series starts 8th May.

The lads new series or a new series of top gear?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The lads new series or a new series of top gear?

Chris Evans Top Gear will start on the 8th of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/12066136/Who-will-be-Top-Gear-co-presenters-alongside-Chris-Evans.html

How in the blue hell are Chris Harris and Sabine Schmitz "virtually unknown" :confused:

I would have assumed that anyone into cars would know who Chris Harris is and Sabine Schmitz is pretty well known from previous episodes of Top Gear and thats before you mention the Nurburgring and her exploits in Germany with BMW and Porsche racing.

Coulthard is also meant to be on board.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

GavRedKing wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/12066136/Who-will-be-Top-Gear-co-presenters-alongside-Chris-Evans.html

How in the blue hell are Chris Harris and Sabine Schmitz "virtually unknown" :confused:

I would have assumed that anyone into cars would know who Chris Harris is and Sabine Schmitz is pretty well known from previous episodes of Top Gear and thats before you mention the Nurburgring and her exploits in Germany with BMW and Porsche racing.

Coulthard is also meant to be on board.

Never heard of either of them myself.

Top Gear is not a car program. Since the Clarkson re-boot it has been light entertainment/ comedy show whilst stood in front of cars, prior to that it was about boring cars.

• Advertisement

Harris has a good Youtube channel called Chris Harris on cars, think hes got about 300k subscribers too.

Anyone whos watched Top Gear for awhile will know of Schmitz, shes been in about 3 or 4 episodes.

Will be interesting to see what direction they take with it though under Evans.

Chris Harris on the P1, La Ferrari and 918.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I watch Harris's channel quite a lot. He is a very good motor journalist and has good character to fit in well with this.

I hope he can keep his channel up and running as well.

As for the new line up as a whole, its pretty disappointing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Assuming the above Telegraph report is true, this won't end well I reckon.. they appear to be going for a "back to its roots"/5th Gear angle which is COMPLETELY missing the point of what TG was under Clarkson.

Chris Evans always comes across as desperately trying to relive the "success" he had in the 90s since.. well, the 90s - but then given that the BBC seems to be trying to take the show back to what it was then, maybe he's actually the perfect fit for this.

If Amazon get distribution sorted out in countries where they're not officially available then this could REALLY be the last ever season of TG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

TG had gone to ****e for the last 5 years anyway, I've been watching it since it was a half hour program on Thursday nights on BBC2.
    I think is was actually lucky that Clarkson got sacked, this new version with Chris Evans could be great.
    The Amazon show the lads have signed up for is going to sink like a stone I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mid fifties

The only reason i like top gear was because of Clarkson Hammond & May, three mates just having a good time and plenty of laughs along the way, you cant replace that, looking forward to their new show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

The only reason i like top gear was because of Clarkson Hammond & May, three mates just having a good time and plenty of laughs along the way, you cant replace that, looking forward to their new show.
    That was true for a long time alright, it became very forced and contrived though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

To quote Clarkson from the last series of TG shown on BBC:
    "I'm 55, why am I still doing this?"
    Answer: Money.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Chris Harris on the P1, La Ferrari and 918.

I think Clarkson, Hammond and May were at the track the same day. So that battle is definitely going to be in the show.

I've been watching Harris for a while, he has loads of great videos on youtube, I don't know how he convinces people to give him their cars when they know exactly what he'll do with them. Some guy loaned Harris his F40 to see what it was like to drift around a track.

Sabine is a nutcase, I've seen videos of her driving around the ring (her day job) and she has absolutely no fear in a car.

I don't really know a whole lot about Evans, never really went out of my way to watch him.

I think it could be a good mix, Sabine and Harris do a lot of actual racing, they could clash really well. Leaving Evans as the James May character, I think Harris and Sabine will steal the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

At this point, halfway through the series, it's looking like Chris Evans vs. everybody else. This report in the Evening Standard is typical, it has Matt le Blanc saying that he wants out if Evans is retained for the next series, with Evans' treatment of the other presenters a major factor. I don't know how much truth there is in that, because these guys still have to work together for the live parts of the current series, and we don't need any punch-ups on set, do we? :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Anyone else notice Evans Rolls Royce Corniche number plate was BRX 522T
    Brexit 52% eerily accurate or the curse of the Top Gear number plates....

Or entirely contrived?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

wil wrote: »
    Anyone else notice Evans Rolls Royce Corniche number plate was BRX 522T
    Brexit 52% eerily accurate or the curse of the Top Gear number plates....

Or entirely contrived?

That's was filmed weeks ago

Judging by this photo from 2015, weirdly freakily accurate

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lgilly/17911817966/

That's was filmed weeks ago
    Not beyond today's ability to add it in but it appears to be genuine.
    Ish as someone states it's a 78 plate on a 76 car.
    Either way freeeeky

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

wil wrote: »
    Judging by this photo from 2015, weirdly freakily accurate

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lgilly/17911817966/

It's a coincidence
    This series it terrible, only good presenter is Matt le Blanc the rest are crap
    How is Evans comparing his rolls to a present day model
    Different cars for different types of driver
    No comparison
    Miss the old boys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Patww79 wrote: »

The whole show is moving along nicely very quickly,improving.

the old three were getting tiresome and old hat + painfully staged.

No wAy would clarkson praise Eire as Chris Evans just did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Schmit/Jordan/Evans/LeBlanc together are like the oscars presenters.. scripted, and terrible.

BBC should forget about trying to appeal to every possible demo and just go with Harris and Reid..

Their geniune enthusiasm really comes across on screen, see Reid in the Focus RS peice and Harris in pretty much everything

• Registered Users Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Get rid of Evans, Jordan and Schmit and they are really onto something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

lertsnim wrote: »
    Get rid of Evans, Jordan and Schmit and they are really onto something.
    Almost agreement, but I don't get what Sabine has done wrong. She's barely been on the show at all so far. IMHO nowhere near the annoyance level produced by Eddie and his bloody spoons. He was playing them in Azerbaijan too, during the Grand Prix weekend, and I will not be surprised if we see him in Austria walking like he has a spoon up his jacksey.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭lertsnim

bnt wrote: »
    Almost agreement, but I don't get what Sabine has done wrong.

She comes across very wooden in the studio. I wouldn't mind her doing a pre recorded segment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

lertsnim wrote: »
    She comes across very wooden in the studio. I wouldn't mind her doing a pre recorded segment though.

She is just not comfortable in front of the camera, just let do what she does best and drive, I reckon she is better than Stiggy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Is it me or is this clown wearing the same outfit for every show? Yellow tshirt with black jumper, stupid black boots. What the hell is wrong with this fool?

Advertisement