Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TUS Programme

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leanonme

My other half had an interview with an employer under the tus scheme, and to say he was disapointed when he left the interview was an understatement. My OH is currently studying a part time, Fetac course in health care support, so when he got called for Tus he didnt think it would be good, but he went along, had his interview with them, and told them about his course etc, and his interest in working with people with disabilities, or elderly or community support. SO they informed him they do a lot of work with Acquired Brain Injury (ABI) Ireland, and asked him if he would be interested in this area, which he said he would love it, as he was hoping to do his work placement with them. About a week after his interview ABI rang the Tus supervisor asking if they had anyone in the area interested in working with them, and the Tus supervisor informed them of my OH interest so an interview was arranged. OH went for the interview, he felt it went really well until the very end when the interviewer informed him that they have never taken on an individual with Tus to work with the clients, as they only take them on to do maintenance.

So he left the interview totally deflated, its over a week ago now and he has not herd from his Tus Supervisor or ABI, and is still annoyed about the whole thing because either the Tus supervisor didn't inform the ABI interview of my OH desire to work with clients, or the ABI interviewer was informed but didn't really care. It has really knocked his confidence, and set him back, as when he had his interview with TUS 4months ago they told him that where ever he did his Tus program would be able to double as work experience for his course. Has any one else had a similar experience?

Just an update, well I had the first meeting today anyway, they seen me on my own thank God, and I have to say they couldn't have been nicer. My fingers are crossed that I get something out of this

• Registered Users Posts: 12 proplayer

Just an update, well I had the first meeting today anyway, they seen me on my own thank God, and I have to say they couldn't have been nicer. My fingers are crossed that I get something out of this

My only advice is to make sure before you agree anything that you are clear on what you will be doing. Just look at leanonme who has posted above. Myself i was not doing what i thought i would be doing. I hope you get a job you like just make sure you know what you will be doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

TBH I thought I would be doing admin but am doing youth work and love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I had my TUS interview today as well (in private) and I have to say the interviewer and the assessor were very nice and decent people and gave me all the information i needed.

They said I might hear from them in either 2 weeks or it could be 2 months so I will see what happens down the road. I was a bit defensive at first but I relaxed around 10 minutes into the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭smiley_face400

Phew, found out today that my interview is at Equity House on Ormond Quay so that's a relief. I actually wouldn't mind doing a placement once it was relevant to my skills and helped me build and improve on those and if it meant that I wouldn't end up back on the dole afterwards which what seems to be happening to many. I fear that they'll just put me in any old placement and I'll have to take it because if I don't then the social welfare will cut my payments which I can't afford to have happen. Hopefully I'll get this job on Monday instead anyway

The TUS guy told me i would have to pay prsi even though i only get €188 per week, well 188 + the 20 extra they give you, i would still have to pay it so what good is it giving you an extra €20 when most of that will be taken away for prsi.

I already know what they will do with me lol, they will most likely have me painting a church and i'm an atheist, or fixing door handles and sweeping sh1t. Must find real job soon before i become a carpet for people to rub their mucky boots into.

zenno wrote: »
    The TUS guy told me i would have to pay prsi even though i only get €188 per week, well 188 + the 20 extra they give you, i would still have to pay it so what good is it giving you an extra €20 when most of that will be taken away for prsi.

I already know what they will do with me lol, they will most likely have me painting a church and i'm an atheist, or fixing door handles and sweeping sh1t. Must find real job soon before i become a carpet for people to rub their mucky boots into.

Having to pay prsi on €208 a week is a farce. If that's the case then they're only giving the €20 top up to make you think you're doing better out of the arrangement than you actually are.

I'm also an atheist so am going to say that I'd prefer not to work with religious organisations as those kind of people have a way of trying to push their religion onto you (I have a family full of them). I respect other people's choices when it comes to religion but I expect them to respect mine in turn which many people don't unfortunately

@zenno. What did you wear to the interview by the way? Formal like an actual interview or would I be ok just rocking up in my regular clothes. Would normally go formal but tried on the outfit I usually wear to interviews and has gone too big since my last interview in January

• Advertisement

@zenno. What did you wear to the interview by the way? Formal like an actual interview or would I be ok just rocking up in my regular clothes. Would normally go formal but tried on the outfit I usually wear to interviews and has gone too big since my last interview in January

I just wore casual, jeans jumper trainers as it was only an interview in relation to what I would like to be working at or suitable for me, It wasn't the main job interview, it was just the getting to know the TUS persons so casual for this is fine but when they send you to the main job interview you should wear better clothing if possible as to be accepted for this or that job. That's what they said to me.

It's really about how you conduct yourself that really makes the difference with this getting to know you interview as they told me that many people were interviewed the last week and they were just slouching on the chair while interviewed and saying they couldn't give a fcuk lol, i found that funny when they told me.

Just go casual with what your comfortable with for this basic interview but they will explain it all anyway for the main interview later on in time. You could be waiting weeks or months for the main interview.

The TUS folks will not put you in a job that is not suitable and they said that in a very genuine way. They constantly told me that they do not put squares inside circles. They want you to be happy in something that is suitable as they don't want hassle either so you need to tell them exactly what you would like to do and they will fit you in. I recorded the interview on a spy camera so i have proof if they lie and stick me into an un-suitable job position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Don't want to be starting a new thread but anyway i finished up with TUS and i am back on the dole. The TUS officer in the end helped me not get cut which was a relief. The only question i have if somebody could tell me is about a new claim. I signed back on last week and when i went to collect my money last week i only got paid two days dole. Is this normal the first week or should i try claim the money back. I got a letter out saying i will be getting €188 a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Don't want to be starting a new thread but anyway i finished up with TUS and i am back on the dole. The TUS officer in the end helped me not get cut which was a relief. The only question i have if somebody could tell me is about a new claim. I signed back on last week and when i went to collect my money last week i only got paid two days dole. Is this normal the first week or should i try claim the money back. I got a letter out saying i will be getting €188 a week.

That's normal , same happened to me. You would have gotten paid 'til the end of the week from your placement , the dole would owe you 2 days for last week then you get you full €188 this week. For instance , you would have been paid 'til Friday , the dole would pay you for Monday & Tuesday and the following Tuesday you get paid for the Wednesday to Tuesday. If you get me :/

It's a bummer because I was expecting a full week too and queried it when I got paid , wish they'd told me that beforehand so I'd have been expecting it.

In addition to what Karen23 has said it will also depend on whether they reopened your old claim or started on a new claim. As I understand SW don't consider the first day of a new claim to begin 3 days after you first go in to open it (e.g. if you go in on the first then your claim starts from the third). Where if you reopened an existing claim then they'll go from the first. I've been given this information second hand so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

As for my own Tus interview which I forgot to update on, went in on the 22nd for a group induction that just talks you through what they do, the "benefits" of it and what sort of work they have available. The following Wednesday I had a one to one interview about what I would/wouldn't be willing to do. My history is in call centre customer service and have also done some sales, admin/data entry and reception work and turned out they have a reception/admin position available in the city centre. It doesn't sound too bad either. They're also not pushing me to go to any interviews until I've found out about the permanent job. Just hoping that if I do end up on Tus that it will be an actual admin/reception position and not something that's just advertised as that in order to reel people in

In addition to what Karen23 has said it will also depend on whether they reopened your old claim or started on a new claim. As I understand SW don't consider the first day of a new claim to begin 3 days after you first go in to open it (e.g. if you go in on the first then your claim starts from the third). Where if you reopened an existing claim then they'll go from the first. I've been given this information second hand so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

As for my own Tus interview which I forgot to update on, went in on the 22nd for a group induction that just talks you through what they do, the "benefits" of it and what sort of work they have available. The following Wednesday I had a one to one interview about what I would/wouldn't be willing to do. My history is in call centre customer service and have also done some sales, admin/data entry and reception work and turned out they have a reception/admin position available in the city centre. It doesn't sound too bad either. They're also not pushing me to go to any interviews until I've found out about the permanent job. Just hoping that if I do end up on Tus that it will be an actual admin/reception position and not something that's just advertised as that in order to reel people in

All i can advise is you make sure you will be doing what your meant to do. As from my experience and from another person who both weren't doing what we agreed to do. Hopefully you can find the job you like.

Karen23 wrote: »
    That's normal , same happened to me. You would have gotten paid 'til the end of the week from your placement , the dole would owe you 2 days for last week then you get you full €188 this week. For instance , you would have been paid 'til Friday , the dole would pay you for Monday & Tuesday and the following Tuesday you get paid for the Wednesday to Tuesday. If you get me :/

It's a bummer because I was expecting a full week too and queried it when I got paid , wish they'd told me that beforehand so I'd have been expecting it.

So i won't get the €126 i missed out on last week? Ah not ideal it's a fair chunk of money when your not working borrowed money this week as i thought i would be getting the €126 also this week. Pity i didn't know just have to be a quiet week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

So i won't get the €126 i missed out on last week? Ah not ideal it's a fair chunk of money when your not working borrowed money this week as i thought i would be getting the €126 also this week. Pity i didn't know just have to be a quiet week.

No, I had to miss a week's bills. That was in January and I haven't been able to catch up so now I'm a week behind with everything.

The Employee's PRSI-free Allowance of €127 per week (for those paying PRSI class A,E and H) and €26 per week (for those paying PRSI class B,C and D) will be abolished, (january 2013)

Employees who earn €352 or less per week continue to have no liability to make a PRSI contribution

I still have a problem with this because if the above quote is the case, then why was I told by the TUS interviewer that I will still have to pay PRSI as i will only be getting €188 + the €20 top-up per week ?. Can anyone clarify this to me as i'm lost on this rigmarole.

It seems crazy that I will have to pay PRSI on €208 per week. And if this is all wrong then why would the TUS interviewer tell me I would have to pay it while earning only €208 per week.

I still have a problem with this because if the above quote is the case, then why was I told by the TUS interviewer that I will still have to pay PRSI as i will only be getting €188 + the €20 top-up per week ?. Can anyone clarify this to me as i'm lost on this rigmarole.

It seems crazy that I will have to pay PRSI on €208 per week. And if this is all wrong then why would the TUS interviewer tell me I would have to pay it while earning only €208 per week.

I think some of the TUS people must have things the wrong way around. I was told I won't have to pay PRSI on the €208 and some seem to have been told the same while almost as many have been told otherwise

I think some of the TUS people must have things the wrong way around. I was told I won't have to pay PRSI on the €208 and some seem to have been told the same while almost as many have been told otherwise

It's insane, because why they would say you have to pay PRSI on €208 when you don't have to is beyond me. They haven't a clue either, it's nuts.

You don't pay PRSI. You will be taxed on emergency tax think it's €10.40 a week. Go down straight away to tax office and they will sort you out.

• Advertisement

You don't pay PRSI. You will be taxed on emergency tax think it's €10.40 a week. Go down straight away to tax office and they will sort you out.

Will do. I haven't been called for the main job interview yet but that TUS guy was talking nonsense so.

Also, I was told I will be receiving a document soon for me to sign in relation to signing myself off the dole, I suppose that if you don't sign it they will cut you off the dole regardless ?. Just say if the job description they are giving you is not suitable, would it not be disastrous to sign this document for signing off the dole ? then you are stuck as Mrbrown69 pointed out on #141 page 10. I'm a bit weary of this sign-off document, but will try and look into it more.

EDIT: One more thing i'll be doing to cover myself will be this... When they ask me to sign this document to sign myself off the dole, I will look at the job description/suitability for myself and if it is ok then i will go and do my first day there, and if the job description is not what they told me it was supposed to be then i will not be signing anything and will also contact the social welfare in relation to this. But if i signed this sign-off form and just went in to this job and it was not in my job description then i would be screwed as i would have already ended my dealings with the social welfare by voluntarily signing off on that document.

According to the citizens information website class a prsi will be paid for all employees, upon further reading this appears to be paid by the employer, not the employee so we should not be charged.

Nothing was said to me about a form for signing off the dole but that may just be until they know whether I've gotten the permanent job. I would assume this is only sent if you take a placement as TUS don't take over payment until you have one. That said, this is the government scheme we're talking about so you never know

mrbrown69 wrote: »
    The brother attended a "Health and safety" (HA!) programme today as part of this initiative, during which he was pulled aside by a Tus officer handed 2 forms and asked to fill and return them asap.....one form was for his bank details and the other which the officer failed to describe at the time was a "signing off" form for the social welfare stating the date he will be starting with Tus and when they can stop his benefit......the thing is he has not agreed to sign up with this, merely agreed to attend an interview at a placement he might or might not be interested in and might/might not even get in the first place......I've advised him to hold off on that 'signing off' form until he's had that interview because if he didn't get the place he'd be left in something of a pickle.....I realize it's the Tus officers job to get as many signed up as possible it's what they're paid to do and looks good on them to get as many as they can but to me it's seem pushy to say the least

Aha! Now I understand. I signed one of these forms but was told to leave the start date blank as that would be filled in as the date I start on a placement. Was also told I wouldn't be forced to take something that I didn't want to do nor penalized for not taking the first placement they offered me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Tipprobb

The employer will pay the prsi. I remember I had to sign a garda vetting form for LEADER when I started on TUS.

Aha! Now I understand. I signed one of these forms but was told to leave the start date blank as that would be filled in as the date I start on a placement. Was also told I wouldn't be forced to take something that I didn't want to do nor penalized for not taking the first placement they offered me.

Thanks for the clarification Smiley-Face400. That's good, but i don't think i'll sign anything until i am fully satisfied with my job suitability placement, to be on the safe side. I just don't like signing off on something until i am fully satisfied with the outcome.

Tipprobb wrote: »
    The employer will pay the prsi. I remember I had to sign a garda vetting form for LEADER when I started on TUS.

That's great, at least that problem for me is sorted out.

I sent back the garda vetting form to LEADER last week and also told them i want a copy of it, so will see how that goes as well.

Will do. I haven't been called for the main job interview yet but that TUS guy was talking nonsense so.

Also, I was told I will be receiving a document soon for me to sign in relation to signing myself off the dole, I suppose that if you don't sign it they will cut you off the dole regardless ?. Just say if the job description they are giving you is not suitable, would it not be disastrous to sign this document for signing off the dole ? then you are stuck as Mrbrown69 pointed out on #141 page 10. I'm a bit weary of this sign-off document, but will try and look into it more.

EDIT: One more thing i'll be doing to cover myself will be this... When they ask me to sign this document to sign myself off the dole, I will look at the job description/suitability for myself and if it is ok then i will go and do my first day there, and if the job description is not what they told me it was supposed to be then i will not be signing anything and will also contact the social welfare in relation to this. But if i signed this sign-off form and just went in to this job and it was not in my job description then i would be screwed as i would have already ended my dealings with the social welfare by voluntarily signing off on that document.

I was asked to fill in this document before i got any job. When i was offered a job i was told i had to fill in my signature to move me off the dole onto TUS. I don't think they can start your payment until you sign the form.

Nuts102 is right. TUS can't start paying you until you sign the document so you can't start a placement until you do. However, I told them of someone I knew who was basically conned into doing a different job than given in the job spec and they said that if this happens, or if the placement isn't suitable for me then they will set up interviews for other placements that would be suited to me.

Of course, I don't know if I'm being lied to or if I've just got someone who knows their stuff. They even told us at the induction that when this started they'd no idea what they were doing and just had to learn as they went along so it's a learning curve for us all

I see. Well i'll deal with it when the time comes. I was just worried that if the job description is not what i was told it would be then i would be stuck if they didn't fix the problem. I will ask them about this before i sign the document just so they know. Thanks.

Well, no luck on the job front due to them not being able to get in touch it my references despite one being in the bloody East Point!! Anyway, looks like I'm going to have to go in for this **** after all :(

• Advertisement

May zod have mercy on our souls. :(

Sorry to hear the bad news.

Was anyone paid a double week last week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭DenMan

Dunny wrote: »
    Was anyone paid a double week last week?

Yes I was.

Why were we paid two weeks? Ive worked these two weeks and went to my bank today to find nothing. I thought my pay was amended to the 208 last week because of my tax issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭DenMan

I don't know. Maybe they put it through for Easter as our wages didn't go in today. I'll say we'll be back in business next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

Double last week. None this week. Back to normal next week. Luckily a supervisor informed me.

Double last week. None this week. Back to normal next week. Luckily a supervisor informed me.

Thats the thing, wasnt informed. Dont even have timesheets for thus month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

Dunny wrote: »
    Thats the thing, wasnt informed. Dont even have timesheets for thus month.

Some of the supervisors are seriously slack. Disgraceful not to be told about this tbh. Was only told myself because i met her on the street the day before. Don't hear from her for weeks and fill in timesheets 3 months at a time while getting 10-12 payslips:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Went for the meeting two weeks ago in front of 3 very nice people. They asked me what I would be interested in doing and where I would like to do it.

Gave them my preferences and now I have an interview in an hour with a job that sounds like I will enjoy it very much.

I do not mind doing this as it is only 19 hours a week which still gives me loads of time to find a proper job or a second part time job (Was told this is allowed)

Will report back here after the interview and let you all know how i get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

Limericks wrote: »
    Went for the meeting two weeks ago in front of 3 very nice people. They asked me what I would be interested in doing and where I would like to do it.

Gave them my preferences and now I have an interview in an hour with a job that sounds like I will enjoy it very much.

I do not mind doing this as it is only 19 hours a week which still gives me loads of time to find a proper job or a second part time job (Was told this is allowed)

Went for the initial interview last September and haven't heard a word from them since. Not sure if that's good or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭luvs2spooge

Hi all,

Got a letter today to sign up for this scheme.

After reading all the stories im horrified and extremely apprehensive about this "scheme". Being forced into part time work for a non profit organisation or else your payment will be cut!?!?-how is the even legal?

I was on jobbridge for almost 3 months in Dublin. I decided to stick with it for as long as possible even though the job i was doing wasnt as advertised and frankly it was nearly costing me money each week between rent(105 pw), petrol(between 55-90 pw) and living costs. So i decided enough was enough. It feels now im being punished for not completing the internship. Am I overreacting a bit?

Im actively seeking work at the moment with the odd interview here and there and I have a degree too but seems to be worthless these days.

Im also angered by these "Bill Cullen" type posters on here preaching from their high horse to the unemployed. Try walk a mile in opur shoes and well soon see how theyd like it!

The thing is if I wanted to do voluntary work id do it in a field i was interested in, but this just feels like ill have very little say in the the final outcome and will either have to like it or lump it?

Would the Citizens Info be the best place to get advice on this matter or what options do i have, seems to me I have very little?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

Limericks wrote: »

Course it is...why the hell wouldn't it be?? while in this programme you can take up other part time work, you can look for full time work as you would anyaway and leave it at any time should you get a proper job, no obligations (and remember once done with it you can't do it again for another 3 years)...

the only obligation I'd imagine is once you've signed to it and are unsuccessful in getting a job you really have to stick with it for the 12 months, can't see the SW looking kindly on someone quitting to sign back on

Hi all,

Got a letter today to sign up for this scheme.

After reading all the stories im horrified and extremely apprehensive about this "scheme". Being forced into part time work for a non profit organisation or else your payment will be cut!?!?-how is the even legal?

I was on jobbridge for almost 3 months in Dublin. I decided to stick with it for as long as possible even though the job i was doing wasnt as advertised and frankly it was nearly costing me money each week between rent(105 pw), petrol(between 55-90 pw) and living costs. So i decided enough was enough. It feels now im being punished for not completing the internship. Am I overreacting a bit?

Im actively seeking work at the moment with the odd interview here and there and I have a degree too but seems to be worthless these days.

Im also angered by these "Bill Cullen" type posters on here preaching from their high horse to the unemployed. Try walk a mile in opur shoes and well soon see how theyd like it!

The thing is if I wanted to do voluntary work id do it in a field i was interested in, but this just feels like ill have very little say in the the final outcome and will either have to like it or lump it?

Would the Citizens Info be the best place to get advice on this matter or what options do i have, seems to me I have very little?

According to both TUS and SW the people who get referred to TUS are picked at random (at least that's what they tell us poor schmoes)

You're going to have to say yes anyway or else your payment will be cut straight away. You may as well go along to the induction as there seems to be very little information on it out there and they do give you a pretty comprehensive overview. Tell them what you're willing/not willing to do. If they don't have anything that suits you they're not going to force you into a random placement.

Spoke to an old friend of mine recently who was referred last year, she went along to both the induction and the one to one interview and was told afterwards that they'd be in touch when they had something suitable, she's never heard from them since.

I'm going for it a: because I have to, and b: because it'll at least keep me occupied for a couple of hours a day on top of the online ECDL course I'm doing through FAS. That doesn't mean I agree with it though because it's basically a forced labour scheme and now it's being reported that unemployment numbers are down when they're really not, it's just that people are being forced off the dole and into this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

completed the tus programme and have now been told by the welfare that my jobseekers benefit will not commence the week after completing the programme and may not commence the week after either. we were told by tus to go into the welfare office the monday after completion which according to the welfare office was too late to get benefit to recommence the week after our final tus payment. very annoyed. if anyone is going to do this programme this year i suggest bringing this matter up. and anyone going to the welfare office on the monday after completion for an appointment they thought they had, you do not have an appointment as i was told and will only be able to make one on monday so god knows when you will get paid. nice reward for a year of hard work...

Turns out that TUS didnt inform the Revenue I was working for them! Ridiculous.

• Advertisement

completed the tus programme and have now been told by the welfare that my jobseekers benefit will not commence the week after completing the programme and may not commence the week after either. we were told by tus to go into the welfare office the monday after completion which according to the welfare office was too late to get benefit to recommence the week after our final tus payment. very annoyed. if anyone is going to do this programme this year i suggest bringing this matter up. and anyone going to the welfare office on the monday after completion for an appointment they thought they had, you do not have an appointment as i was told and will only be able to make one on monday so god knows when you will get paid. nice reward for a year of hard work...

As far as I know once the placement ends you've to go back in to SW and sign on again same as if you became unemployed from any other job as you were technically employed ie. not being paid by the government. As you know, this can take a little while to process but once it's all sorted they'll back date your payment to the date you made the claim and continue with a regular weekly payment.

I wad told all this in both my induction and one to one interview but maybe they've finally got their heads screwed on straight instead of flying blind like they were when this was started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Anyone know what would happen in this situation....suppose I'm looking to do voluntary work for a year (same hours as TUS, 20 a week) with an organisation that would be very suitable for putting on my CV with view to applying for a postgrad next year.

But I've gotten the letter this week about putting my name forward for TUS....are they gonna have the attitude of "no, you'll take what you get on TUS, forget about your voluntary work" ?

Like I said, I know the organisation and have contacts there and it would be of huge benefit to work there and get experience on a volunteer basis, rather than be shoved into something that is of no relevance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Anyone know what would happen in this situation....suppose I'm looking to do voluntary work for a year (same hours as TUS, 20 a week) with an organisation that would be very suitable for putting on my CV with view to applying for a postgrad next year.

But I've gotten the letter this week about putting my name forward for TUS....are they gonna have the attitude of "no, you'll take what you get on TUS, forget about your voluntary work" ?

Like I said, I know the organisation and have contacts there and it would be of huge benefit to work there and get experience on a volunteer basis, rather than be shoved into something that is of no relevance.

That would be an easy placement for a TUS team leader to have on his books, they would most likely jump on the opportunity to have you there and build links with a community/charity group. The only problem may be if a CE scheme (community employment schemes) is in place in the charity/organisation you are dealing with. CE (IMPACT trade union) they don’t like TUS working alongside them.

At the interview tell them you are heavily involved with the charity and are looking to build a career in the area they deal with, that a placement there will help you secure a future job.

The INOU can advise you better than any web forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

What's the craic with the tax on this? the brother has been signed up to this for a few weeks now....first 3 weeks he paid 9 odd euro in tax which is fair enough he'd get it back, last week it bumped up to over 40! leaving him worse off than when on SW

Tus officer promised him he wouldn't be paying tax before signing up :rolleyes:

mrbrown69 wrote: »
    What's the craic with the tax on this? the brother has been signed up to this for a few weeks now....first 3 weeks he paid 9 odd euro in tax which is fair enough he'd get it back, last week it bumped up to over 40! leaving him worse off than when on SW

Tus officer promised him he wouldn't be paying tax before signing up :rolleyes:

He's being emergency taxed. If you're earning less than €352 a week (I think, check citizens info site) then you shouldn't be paying any tax. Get him to get in touch with his tus rep and the tax office and he'll get it all back

• Advertisement
Advertisement