Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meet the Londoners - an introductions & general chat thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Playboy wrote: »
    nearly always a hoover... kettle sometimes, microwave rarely. Also there will only ever be a washing machine, never a washer/dryer.

I've a washer/dryer in my current and had a washer and separate dryer in my former.
    Have a kettle, microwave and hoover in current. Had none of them in former.

I'm not sure there's a specific standard but I do think the words "furnished" and "part furnished" have a legal meaning - what that is I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

enda1 wrote: »
    I've a washer/dryer in my current and had a washer and separate dryer in my former.

Jealous! Never had a dryer which I think is ridiculous given that there is nowhere to dry your clothes in most apartments without a garden or in winter. Would happily buy one that I could take with me but most landlords have nowhere to put their washing machine in the meantime and I dont have the space for a separate dryer.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Playboy wrote: »
    Jealous! Never had a dryer which I think is ridiculous given that there is nowhere to dry your clothes in most apartments without a garden or in winter. Would happily buy one that I could take with me but most landlords have nowhere to put their washing machine in the meantime and I dont have the space for a separate dryer.

I wonder if this may change soon - there's been some research recently confirming that the lack of dedicated drying equipment or airing cupboards (and the attendant requirement for people to dry damp clothing by hanging it on clotheshorses or radiators in rooms that they use) in contemporary buildings is a direct and substantial contribution to respiratory conditions like asthma.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

We always give kettle toaster washing machine and microwave as standard

Re dryer / dampness debate , open the window this is not the north pole

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

It's also not the 16th century. Why are people so afraid of progress?
    Clearly in a tight living space, means are needed to be found for tasks which in the past occurred outdoors.

Why must the answer of some to these practicalities necessitate lowering our comfort and standard of living rather than aim at improving it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I really hope that, as with the deposit protection scheme, legislation is passed to effectively ban attitudes like yours amongst landlords :mad:.

British weather is, at best, notoriously fickle. At worst, it's sufficiently rubbish that you really don't want to be outside in it. Taken in combination with the confirmed relationship between drying clothes indoors and respiratory problems, and the fact that we've just had the coldest March in half a century, the only valid response to "open the window" as a solution is "GTFO".

I don't think it's practical to demand that all landlords build airing cupboards into their existing properties. However, it has long been the case that providing a washing machine and no dryer is a bit silly - so this research should really just be the impetus to make a change that's overdue in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

while the past few weeks has been cracking drying weather, if you have a garden and a line, it's been baltic. do you open the window with the heating on and so waste energy that way, or leave the heating off in hoping that the clothes will dry over the space of a few days in a cold room. never mind the risk of leaving a window open in london.
    myself, jeeves hangs them out in the morning, benson takes them in in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Fysh wrote: »
    I really hope that, as with the deposit protection scheme, legislation is passed to effectively ban attitudes like yours amongst landlords :mad:.

British weather is, at best, notoriously fickle. At worst, it's sufficiently rubbish that you really don't want to be outside in it. Taken in combination with the confirmed relationship between drying clothes indoors and respiratory problems, and the fact that we've just had the coldest March in half a century, the only valid response to "open the window" as a solution is "GTFO".

I don't think it's practical to demand that all landlords build airing cupboards into their existing properties. However, it has long been the case that providing a washing machine and no dryer is a bit silly - so this research should really just be the impetus to make a change that's overdue in any case.

Sorry but it is amazing the difference one open window in a house makes , any of the flats we have issues with dampness have double glazing, we have gone down the hitec route of putting a dehumidifier in , but it cannot cope with people refusing to leave doors open during the day so the air can circulate.

Drying clothes is one of the factors, but showers cooking and a lack of adequate ventilation are bigger culprit s IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Zippy1991

Well I got them to buy me a hoover.
    No dryer though. Clothes horse it is.

Went for a pint in the Regent in Balham last night to watch the first half of the football.
    Seemed nice enough. Bit pricey, but I didn't fancy the Wetherspoons all the same.

The Bedford looked good, lots of people sitting outside. I looked in and couldn't see a TV and I was on my todd so I didn't actually go in.

This weekend I'll pop my bedford cherry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Totally agree. We had a damp problem in my last flat, caused by drying clothes inside. Well, where the hell else were we meant to dry them, having no outside space and no balcony? :confused: Landlord also asked us to keep the windows open a crack at all times, whether or not we were there. Eh, I don't fcking thing so. Number one, it's not secure, number two, England is way too cold for most of the year to have your windows open for any length of time. Why should the tenants sit in a freezing flat? It's not a solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Interestingly, minimum rental standards in Ireland require the provision of a dryer where there are no outside spaces with a washing line. For modern flats with a high degree of airtightness, significant moisture problems arise with drying indoors.

Zippy1991 wrote: »
    Well I got them to buy me a hoover.
    No dryer though. Clothes horse it is.

Went for a pint in the Regent in Balham last night to watch the first half of the football.
    Seemed nice enough. Bit pricey, but I didn't fancy the Wetherspoons all the same.

The Bedford looked good, lots of people sitting outside. I looked in and couldn't see a TV and I was on my todd so I didn't actually go in.

This weekend I'll pop my bedford cherry!!

Dont think the Bedford has Sky so they only show matches when they are on terrestial. I'll be in the Regent on Sunday for the Spurs game!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 helpwanted01

Hi all,

I've recently moved from Ireland to Clapham Junction. Like the area, lots to do and people are general very friendly. However, I'm struggling to find anybody to watch football with or just have a general football banter chat. Let's just say my mates in London are not sporty types.

Anybody interested in watching a football game in the pub or any sport for that matter, please let me know.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

www.streetbank.com is a handy way to borrow and lend stuff from your neighbours if you need something but not often (like a ladder, or a drill etc). Might be handy; Ive only signed up but a friend uses it often and has gotten a few bits and pieces...

Anyone about for a few pints in the general Balham/Clapham area tonight?

This isn't weird....right?

Anyone about for a few pints in the general Balham/Clapham area tonight?

This isn't weird....right?

Nah it isnt weird! Generally I would be but I have a 7am flight in the morning so will be in bed nice and early

Pffft....Lightweight

;)

So I'm seeing a lot of chatter from people wanting to go for Refreshing Beverages (TM) in the Balham/Clapham area round here, and yet nobody's attempting to migrate the next Beers down there. Tch tch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 helpwanted01

Hey,

I'm in the Clapham area and would be up for a pint on this fine sunny day!

Let me know where your thinking of heading.

So I'm seeing a lot of chatter from people wanting to go for Refreshing Beverages (TM) in the Balham/Clapham area round here, and yet nobody's attempting to migrate the next Beers down there. Tch tch ;)

I'm but a London noob.
    Playboy on the other hand has no excuse :-)

• Advertisement

I'm but a London noob.

Ah crap dude we must have posted at same time as I didn't see yours till now. Bit late at this stage . I'd definetly be up for heading for one Monday or Tuesday round clap junction if you fancy? Dunno if there's footy or that on??

I'm but a London noob.

I'm afraid May is fully booked for me otherwise I would be!

I will be in Balham to watch the Munster game tomorrow.

5pm, pub suggestions would be good!

If anyone cares to join me, as I'll be on my own, pop a message up here.

Have to head on sharpish after the game so might try and get in from about 4 or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Come into St Pauls like the rest of us and go to Yager, it's the home of the London Branch of the supporters' club (you don't have to be a member, just show up). If you don't fancy that, bear in mind Newcastle Liverpool kicks off at 5.30, so ensure you're somewhere that prioritises rugby

I need to stay in Balham as I have to go to a Birthday party immediately after the game!

I'll head there for the final then ;)

You'll be practically on your tod if we make it, most of them (myself included, if i work out how to book flights on my phone at the final whistle) will be in Dublin!

Hello everyone. Bank Holiday!!

Quick question on Night Buses and specifically the N155 that ends up in Balham.

1. Are they safe?
    2. Are they reliable?
    3. Are they included in my Zone 1-3 Oyster?

1. Sit downstairs if you're worried. I've never had an issue but live in North West London on supposedly the dodgiest bus route in the city (18/N18)
    2. Generally
    3. Yes

Everyone I've asked has said.

Sit Downstairs!! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Anyone up for a few pints tonight.

I moved into ealing last weekend and looking to meet some drinking buddies!

Advertisement