Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling tips

Options
  • 26-12-2020 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Need some advice on selling on DD.

Obviously meeting up somewhere busy, with a camera (Petrol station?), apart from this when it comes to the person asking for a spin off her should we agree on a price and then ask for the cash in my hand before they head off on a test ride?

Aslo whats the story with insurance if they are taking it out?

Am I being to paranoid? What do you guys do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

As far as I know, the buyer should have their own insurance for the bike, I've fully comp so that allows me to ride someone else's bike with permission.

Not a chance I'd let someone on the bike without the cash in my hand though either and be sure to point out if they drop it or damage it while riding they have bought it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭honda boi

I've always wondered how to be 100% legal when test driving a vehicle.
    Any insurance company I've dealt with ,there driving other vehicles policy says the other vehicle needs it's own insurance policy , but people selling most likely won't have any insurance on it so how are test drives "meant " to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

honda boi wrote: »
    I've always wondered how to be 100% legal when test driving a vehicle.
    Any insurance company I've dealt with ,there driving other vehicles policy says the other vehicle needs it's own insurance policy , but people selling most likely won't have any insurance on it so how are test drives "meant " to work?

Most people selling a bike will be insured, they are the easiest stolen vechicle. Most bike owners will be riding their bike until its sold too. You're still liable as the owner.

Op meet in a nice open public place in daylight, somewhere you know and are comfortable, cash in hand for a test ride. If not they can watch you ride it. Make sure they have insurance. If you're bringing people with you make sure to tell them not just turn up with your mates same goes for them. Have the bike clean and presentable with good pics on your ad. Other than that just be prepared for timewasters and half price merchants. Of course the golden rule you drop it, its yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Try and meet where there is a postbox handy.
    I have a Pre-addressed and stamped envelope with me, if they buy the bike then you put their name and address on the Logbook and sign it and post it in front of them
    It saves any fines for speeding or anything else coming back to you, they see the logbook being posted so they know the change of ownership is underway.

I would be inclined to bring a pen to check for forged notes as well, you can't be too careful these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Try and meet where there is a postbox handy.
    I have a Pre-addressed and stamped envelope with me, if they buy the bike then you put their name and address on the Logbook and sign it and post it in front of them
    It saves any fines for speeding or anything else coming back to you, they see the logbook being posted so they know the change of ownership is underway.

I would be inclined to bring a pen to check for forged notes as well, you can't be too careful these days.

I have no problem with meeting someone in a neutral place for a look at a bike. But you never buy a warm vehicle and if I'm handing over money it's at the registered address on the VLC , if not indoors I'll have a sudden urge to use the toilet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

Del2005 wrote: »
    I have no problem with meeting someone in a neutral place for a look at a bike. But you never buy a warm vehicle and if I'm handing over money it's at the registered address on the VLC , if not indoors I'll have a sudden urge to use the toilet.

You want to go into peoples houses? That's odd I definitely wont be inviting people around to my place so if that's the case!

Melted wrote: »
    You want to go into peoples houses? That's odd I definitely wont be inviting people around to my place so if that's the case!

There are risks on both sides of the sale.

If I'm giving someone my hard earned money I want to know that the person selling the vehicle is its owner. Plenty of people have bought vehicles outside houses only to find out later that it wasn't the owner who sold it. The buyer will have your address from the VLC anyway.

There are risks on both sides of the sale.

If I'm giving someone my hard earned money I want to know that the person selling the vehicle is its owner. Plenty of people have bought vehicles outside houses only to find out later that it wasn't the owner who sold it. The buyer will have your address from the VLC anyway.

But a person who is not the owner wont have a VLC?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Need some advice on selling on DD.

Obviously meeting up somewhere busy, with a camera (Petrol station?), apart from this when it comes to the person asking for a spin off her should we agree on a price and then ask for the cash in my hand before they head off on a test ride?

Aslo whats the story with insurance if they are taking it out?

Am I being to paranoid? What do you guys do?

What sort of bike is it? What sort of money?

Sold my blackbird a few months ago without a test drive, but was happy to buy it without one. (It was in daily use and had a full history)

You can insist on money in your hand before a test drive is given and similarly you can insist on proof of insurance. After all, if test pilot gets stopped and had no insurance the bike gets seized leaving you on the hook for release fees and also liable to prosecution for allowing it to be driven on the road knowing there was no insurance. Ignorance would not be a defence to that. So all the risk is on your side should you let someone out on the bike without covering yourself.

If somebody is really interested in your bike the above is reasonable - the cash in hand but might be a bit much if you're talking above a few thousand though.

That said, I've never had an issue selling a car or bike by inviting the buyer to my house. And I've sold a few.

Vikings wrote: »
    What sort of bike is it? What sort of money?

Sold my blackbird a few months ago without a test drive, but was happy to buy it without one. (It was in daily use and had a full history)

You can insist on money in your hand before a test drive is given and similarly you can insist on proof of insurance. After all, if test pilot gets stopped and had no insurance the bike gets seized leaving you on the hook for release fees and also liable to prosecution for allowing it to be driven on the road knowing there was no insurance. Ignorance would not be a defence to that. So all the risk is on your side should you let someone out on the bike without covering yourself.

If somebody is really interested in your bike the above is reasonable - the cash in hand but might be a bit much if you're talking above a few thousand though.

That said, I've never had an issue selling a car or bike by inviting the buyer to my house. And I've sold a few.
    It less than 2k, theres just alot of wasters on DD dont want to be inviting half the county to my house only for them to ask for half price or something

Cheers for the response lads ye have given me alot to think about hah

• Advertisement

But a person who is not the owner wont have a VLC?

They could have stolen it from the owner along with the vehicle or it could be fake. Do you know all the security features of the VLC?

I've heard both sides of the story. Seller turns up and a has the vehicle and VLC taken from them. Buyer turns up and told you've come to buy a vehicle so give us the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Goose81

Last bike I sold was a gsxr for like 4k. Showed him the bike in my drive and made him give me the cash before he tested it, he defo didn't have insurance but that's not my problem.

When he gave me the money before he test drove it we went into the sitting room and counted it on the table.

Before sale was complete we went up and I lodged it in an ATM to my account to make sure the notes were all legit and we also posted and dated the reg cert for the prior day and I posted it in front of him.

I think I got a picture of his licence aswell, if someone is honest they won't care doing the above, he even said it made him feel more comfortable about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Goose81 wrote: »
    Last bike I sold was a gsxr for like 4k. Showed him the bike in my drive and made him give me the cash before he tested it, he defo didn't have insurance but that's not my problem.

Only because nothing happened. To be clear, you can be prosecuted as the owner for letting a car/bike you own be driven without insurance.

The bike can be seized from the person riding the bike and you as the owner will have to go through the rigamarole of getting it back from the Garda station.

But what I'd be more concerned about is the test pilot getting into an accident. Sure, you have the cash on the table to cover your loss if he bins it, but you are going to have months if not years of hardship with insurance companies if there's another party involved. Insurance companies and judges really don't tolerate ignorance as a defence in cases like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You were lucky Goose, as it is most definitely "your problem" by allowing a 3rd party test spin.

When he gave me the money before he test drove it we went into the sitting room and counted it on the table.

Before sale was complete we went up and I lodged it in an ATM to my account to make sure the notes were all legit and we also posted and dated the reg cert for the prior day and I posted it in front of him.

I think I got a picture of his licence aswell, if someone is honest they won't care doing the above, he even said it made him feel more comfortable about it.

You should really have checked the notes were legit before the test ride, if they gave you fake money they weren't coming back to get it.

Which bank verifies money as its lodged in an ATM? I thought that you lodged the money in an envelope and they checked it later.

You 100% are liable to prosecution for allowing an uninsured rider to ride your bike as the registered owner.
    Not only for allowing him to ride it, you may also be found liable in civil law for damages caused.

100% not worth the headache if something happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Mjolnir wrote: »
    You 100% are liable to prosecution for allowing an uninsured rider to ride your bike as the registered owner.
    Not only for allowing him to ride it, you may also be found liable in civil law for damages caused.

100% not worth the headache if something happened.

Fair enough, so the only way is to ask him for proof of insurance and if he doesn't have it, no riding it until you have the new owner signed off on the logbook and dropped in the post box?

Fair enough, so the only way is to ask him for proof of insurance and if he doesn't have it, no riding it until you have the new owner signed off on the logbook and dropped in the post box?

Pretty much, even if the documents are fake the fact you did the checks would mitigate you criminally and go a long way in civil liability.

If they can't prove they are insured let them watch you ride it.

As a poster mentioned above ignorance of the law is not a defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The prospective buyer should really bring their insurance cert with them, I know my policy covers me to ride other bikes not belonging to me and I would guess some other companies may do the same.
    Some people may not be aware of this or maybe they don't have it, maybe its just the old farts that get that on their policy :)

And after they buy it they won't be insured for the ride home, unless they transfer their insurance, even though they would have been insured for a test ride. But it's not your problem once you've the VLC signed and a basic receipt done up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Goose81

You should really have checked the notes were legit before the test ride, if they gave you fake money they weren't coming back to get it.

Which bank verifies money as its lodged in an ATM? I thought that you lodged the money in an envelope and they checked it later.

I did check they were legit, well as much as you can without an ultraviolet light.

No, you lodge the cash in machine's without an envelope and it counts it and verifies it as you lodge it. Your balance updates immediately in most cases.

This was bank of Ireland but I'm sure others are the same.

Regarding the insurance thing I didn't really think about it too much at the time, although how the hell you verify if someone is insured to drive a bike is beyond me. You couldn't trust any documents they show you

Also in my case the bike wasn't insured, I had removed it from my policy so if he did crash it I don't know what would happen.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The prospective buyer should really bring their insurance cert with them, I know my policy covers me to ride other bikes not belonging to me and I would guess some other companies may do the same.
    Some people may not be aware of this or maybe they don't have it, maybe its just the old farts that get that on their policy :)

What company you with? Any insurance company I've been with has stated the other bike needs insurance. Which I'd assume most bikes been sold wouldn't have insurance

What company you with? Any insurance company I've been with has stated the other bike needs insurance. Which I'd assume most bikes been sold wouldn't have insurance

Pretty sure most do require the bike to be insured, must ask next renewal time actually.
    Who doesn't keep their bike insured it costs basically nothing and they are stupidly easy to rob.

I've just looked at my Carole Nash policy, cover provide by AXA, and I can't see anything about the other bike needing to be insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Japcati2020

For anyone here posting a bike on DD.......

Dont post pics of the bike manky dirty.
    Dont post pics of the bike after its washed and still wet.
    Post clean and dry daylight pics of front,back n sides.
    And put up a proper price and current mileage.

None of this price or mileage upon request bolloxoligy

I've just looked at my Carole Nash policy, cover provide by AXA, and I can't see anything about the other bike needing to be insured.

Ye Im with Carole Nash and mine said nothing about the other bike needing insurance.
    I rang them to make sure and they said to me the other bike needs to have insurance .
    Rang twice so I could speak to someone else the second time to see if the first person was wrong.

Ye Im with Carole Nash and mine said nothing about the other bike needing insurance.
    I rang them to make sure and they said to me the other bike needs to have insurance .
    Rang twice so I could speak to someone else the second time to see if the first person was wrong.

At least you had the cop on to ask, a lot of people don't see it and assume, then some find out the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

Regarding the insurance thing I didn't really think about it too much at the time, ...
    Also in my case the bike wasn't insured, I had removed it from my policy so if he did crash it I don't know what would happen.

If he did crash it you could probably say goodbye to your bike. If he injured or killed a third party you might be saying goodbye to your house as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

If its not on the policy document then the other bike doesn't need to be insured. A friend went to court over this and the Guard was roasted by the judge.

When I bought my last bike I knew I was going to buy it unless it had major issues so I swapped my insurance onto it for the test ride, being on a learner permit my policy doesn't allow for riding other bikes. I also handed over cash but brought a mate with me who stayed with the seller.

One thing mentioned above though, taking a pic of a licence, I would absolutely not allow anybody take a pic of my licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Unless you get this from them in writing, anything you are told over the phone by a cs agent means absolutely nothing. The policy document is the last word as far as things like this are concerned.

Advertisement