Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten Irish movies.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Here's six gems

Small Engine Repair (2006)
    Came out around the same time as Garage

Drinking Crude (1997)
    Colin Farrell's first film. I reviewed it on IMDB and had random Americans emailing me for copies for years.

The Last Bus Home (1997)
    Two punks meet on the day of the Pope's visit in 1979.

Guiltrip (1995)
    Rough Gerry Stembridge effort.

The Fantasist (1986)
    Serial killer down the country. Directed by Robin Hardy who did The Wicker Man.

Quackser Fortune Has A Cousin In The Bronx (1971)
    Gene Wilder, Margot Kidder and Mynah from Glenroe

Guiltrip "Gimme money!".

Last Bus Home was great, the period detail was spot on down to the old CIE bus stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The Crying Game and the unexpected mickey moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Seve OB wrote: »
    “I always go down”
    Class movie, one of my favourites. Was very hard to find a DVD copy of it, but I go one somewhere....... then some bastard borrowed it and never gave it back, but I can’t remember who.
    Love the scenes with the gun, that’s a six shooter that, 50 pound a bullet. And the balaclava....... sorry, I could only get one cool one!

One of the few Irish movies that were good.

When they can't be bothered selling you the DVD, you are ethically obliged to download it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

A Roddy Doyle one called When Brendan Met Trudy.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Flight of the Doves (1971)
    Soundtrack is great; Roy Budd and a decent Dana track.

I’ll just leave this here...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iTwnnix2S2g

• Advertisement

Joyriders (1988). Featured Andew Connolly who links a lot of 80s/early 90s Irish films.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

I remember vaguely a movie about two Dublin flatmates, early 20s and a covered-up murder. No idea what it was called.

Was Dylan Moran in that ? If so it's called a film with me in it

A Roddy Doyle one called When Brendan Met Trudy.

Seemed funny at the time but have a feeling it hasnt aged well. One of the running jokes were news headlines about a feminist group casterating random men.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭interlocked

It's not Irish really, A Fistfull of Dynamite, but James Coburn plays an Irish guy, and I'm pretty sure they filmed some of the scenes in The Long Hall pub, where he's thinking back of being in Dublin and the IRA and all that. Then he goes to Mexico and is an explosives expert. Sergio Leone directed it and music from Ennio Morricone, the dream team.

I'm pretty sure that it was filmed in Toners in Baggot Street, great, great film, one of Leone's best

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭interlocked

Waking ned, always worth a watch ðŸ˜

Filmed in the Isle of Man, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

ianob7 wrote: »
    Was Dylan Moran in that ? If so it's called a film with me in it

I dont believe so - certainly not in the lead role.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Character Building

Far and Away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Joyriders (1988). Featured Andew Connolly who links a lot of 80s/early 90s Irish films.

Hothouse Flowers Carrickfergus on the soundtrack, closing credits I think. Nicely shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

The Passion of Saint Tibulus ...wasn't shown for long. Caused uproar in the church at the time. Wouldn't surprise me if the priests themselves were its biggest viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I was just thinking about how in the 90s there were awful Irish movies released that would be in the cinema for a week and then disappear.

I know..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Rooney (1958)
    About a hurler and binman in Dublin. Very twee, oirish but it's nice to see the Dublin of yore

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭del_c

Dead Meat- saw it in a film festival in Stuttgart, never heard of it since. Pretty funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,008 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Don't think it was a feature length movie, maybe more of a made for TV one, but who recalls "The Clash of the Ash"
    About mid 1980s Irish economic and social depression and Cork minor hurling.
    Stared the man that went on the be "Blackie Connors" in Glenroe.

Intermission

with colm meaney as a bumbling Detective.

The Macintosh Man

featuring Paul Newman.

Don't think it was a feature length movie, maybe more of a made for TV one, but who recalls "The Clash of the Ash"
    About mid 1980s Irish economic and social depression and Cork minor hurling.
    Stared the man that went on the be "Blackie Connors" in Glenroe.

Yes, a classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I remember watching a movie on tv one evening in a B&B in Sligo which starred Brendan Gleeson as a Northern Irish tv show host who develops amnesia after being mugged outside a chipper . I can't think of the name of it though. Adrian Dunbar was also in it.

Headrush - An Irish movie about 2 stoners which starred Gavin Kelty (A face that appeared in many Irish productions in the late 90s/early 2000s) and a cameo from Huey Morgan of the Fun Loving Criminals.

The Halo Effect -A fun movie with Stephen Rea as a chip shop owning gambling addict. It also stars Mick Lally as an alcoholic priest and Paschal from Fair City as a scruffy miser. Simon Delaney, John Kavanagh and Gerard McSorley also appear in it.

Small Engine Repair - This was set in a tree logging community in an undisclosed part of the country and starred Iain Glen and Lawrence Kinlan. It actually wasn't a bad movie.

Studs - From 2005, Brendan Gleeson plays a down on his luck alcoholic who manages a soccer team from a really rough part of Dublin. It was quite fun and it also had Eamonn Owen's playing the gurning gob****r role that he plays in pretty much everything he's been in.

The Rising of the Moon -A collection of 3 short stories introduced by Tyrone Power. Quite old, from the 40s I believe.

Johnny Nobody

featuring an early CIE Deisel loco.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I remember watching a movie on tv one evening in a B&B in Sligo which starred Brendan Gleeson as a Northern Irish tv show host who develops amnesia after being mugged outside a chipper . I can't think of the name of it though. Adrian Dunbar was also in it.
    Wild About Harry. (I would have linked to IMDB but it's blocked in work.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

The Rising of the Moon -A collection of 3 short stories introduced by Tyrone Power. Quite old, from the 40s I believe.

1957 ! One of the short stories was by Frank O’Connor and another by Lady Gregory. Starred Cyril Cusack, Noel Purcell, Jimmy O'Dea and Maureen Potter. Aged a bit better than others from the era.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bocaman

Eat the Peach: though that comes from the 1980's.

Garage: Pat Shortt is fantastic.

Adam and Paul: In my opinion one of the best Irish films ever produced and probably not forgotten.

Hush A Bye Baby (1990) Sinead O Connor has a supporting part in it, wearing a wig, she was really attractive back then. The lead actress Emer McCourt was in a few independent British films in the early 90s then just seemed to vanish.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,893 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sunburn, early Cillian Murphy movie, about J1 students.
    Half set in Dublin, half in the States.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0168199/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Bob Gray

Guiltrip (1995)
    Rough Gerry Stembridge effort.

Was going to post this too because I remember some scenes being filmed in a chipper on the hill in Leixlip, I did an early shift in the shop across the road before school and they filmed there for a few days. I think there was only one scene in the place. It was called something like Brazzi's in the film and they kept the (very small) sign on the door for a couple of years.

Also, Black Day at Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Here's a link to my Irish movie blog: https://irelandsmovies.wordpress.com/ so knock yourselves out.

I think I have nearly every one ever made no matter how obscure but I'll be happy to hear of any that I've missed.

For my money Ryan's Daughter (1970); The Field and The Commitments are amongst the best ever Irish films but others worthy of mention would be Johnny Nobody (1961) with more than a nod to the 39 Steps; Troubles (1988) TV mini series based on the book by J G Farrell, Shake Hands with the Devil ( 1959) starring James Cagney) and The Night Fighters (1960) starring Robert Mitchum.

I don't think it's fair to dismiss Irish movies the way some have here - okay there's not many big budget blockbusters or CGI filled rubbish but some are very good nonetheless and are worth tracking down.

This offering from 2016 - My Life for Ireland - is a keeper in my collection. :D

• Advertisement

Pigs (1984 ) Haven't seen the full film but theres a longish clip in documentary about Roger Doyle , who did the music. Inner city Dublin looked really grim then, I know it still is but iin this it looked like London after the blitz.

Advertisement