Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unwelcome Lodger

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Rasher1234 wrote: »
    Ahh ha ...thinges get curiouser and curiouser ...the lodger has now intimated that for a fee he would be wiling to leave ..... this makes me all the more determined to Fcuk him out in a few days as how ****ing dare he try to monetize a situation like this, in a time of crisis for all of us all ...its no wonder he was being so vehement about staying ....he could use the situation to his benefit ...

This idiot is either high or mad. Either way he should get his money back from the dealer!! Does this fcukwit not realise he is not a tenant?

Man, look! You've messed around for long enough. Sod the week's notice - All bets are OFF!! Get him out - NOW!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

housetypeb wrote: »
    For **** sake, go down to the Gardai station and tell them that you are evicting an unwelcome guest from your home,that refuses to leave, and you expect there to be trouble and you need them present as a precaution.
    This guy is walking all over you, he has no rights.

It's nothing to do with the Garda, its a commercial arrangement and the OPs problem. This "no rights" lark works both ways

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

Get the cops up to the house and tell them there is an unwanted guest who is trying to blackmail you and you feel very unsafe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Does this guy leave the house at all? The very next time he steps outside the front door, lock it and throw his clothes into bags and drop them out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Ahh ha ...thinges get curiouser and curiouser ...the lodger has now intimated that for a fee he would be wiling to leave ..... this makes me all the more determined to Fcuk him out in a few days as how ****ing dare he try to monetize a situation like this, in a time of crisis for all of us all ...its no wonder he was being so vehement about staying ....he could use the situation to his benefit ...
    That's blackmail. Negates the need to see out the notice imo, get rid now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Ballso wrote: »
    Sure, still a bit sad though. Let's not pretend these folks are the adults in the room just because they own property. Most of them would seriously struggle if it wasn't for exploiting a housing crisis to rent rooms to the most vulnerable . Nobody in their right mind would live with an owner occupier if they had a choice.

Offering a room isnt exploiting a housing crisis. It is something that has alway done. I did it ten years ago and I was very grateful to the host for it. I wasnt exploited and I certainly wasnt the 'most vulnerable'. I was a middle class student.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

You can pay him alright - with a boot up his hole on the way out the front door

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Ballso wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with the Garda, its a commercial arrangement and the OPs problem. This "no rights" lark works both ways

Jaysus, that's good to know.
    No need to be homeless-just visit a friend and never leave.

housetypeb wrote: »
    Jaysus, that's good to know.
    No need to be homeless-just visit a friend and never leave.

It does happen https://www.thejournal.ie/squatter-phibsborough-ordered-to-leave-3309321-Mar2017/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

What's the fee then? Does it represent value for money to you?

Remember folks, we're only getting one side of the story here. For all we know the OP may be a complete loo laa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

BarryD2 wrote: »

Remember folks, we're only getting one side of the story here. For all we know the OP may be a complete loo laa.

Doesn't matter, both could be loo la or both reasonable people. If the owner wants the licensee out they can get them out.

yes you are correct but from a legal point of view I think there is a sacred right to be a loo laa in your own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

Doesn't matter, both could be loo la or both reasonable people. If the owner wants the licensee out they can get them out.

Why haven't they then?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

A couple of observations.

It's not a case of no rights - it's a case of very limited rights and notice has to be reasonable, or more common as people do silly things, what's in the contract.

Once the lodger is out, which is not a matter for the guards, any harassment / breach of the peace / attempt to break in is very much is a matter for the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Barry, you have made it pretty clear you hate all landlords. We take the op at face value, that's how these things work.

A couple of observations.

It's not a case of no rights - it's a case of very limited rights and notice has to be reasonable, or more common as people do silly things, what's in the contract.

Once the lodger is out, which is not a matter for the guards, any harassment / breach of the peace / attempt to break in is very much is a matter for the guards.

People should be reasonable and the hosts should be be reasonable but as far as I know there are no contracts with this arrangement and no rights.

It appears that there is trespass in this case which I understand may or may not be civil law but intimidation is not a civil law surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Rasher1234

Just received a call from Threshold asking for my consideration in extending his duration with me ...advised NO way in a zillion years ....they had been copied on all correspondence so they kinda knew hes edited victim story ... and I advised that they were being duped ; that the guy deliberately generated this situation to as he knew he hadn't a leg to stand on; dragged in decent genuine organisations to booster his case, while in the interim , privately generating a hostile situation in my home in an attempt to extort money. Advised that I had to go to my HR department to advise them of my personal situation ; that I expected his irrational behaviour to be aimed at my work ....and they were looking for consideration ???? ...they were being played !
    I felt sorry for the girl as she was only doing her job and was obliged to reply ...but had zero knowledge of the antics I had been subjected to .. said , that I have every right to demand his immediate removal , I will stick t the notice period out of respect to people like Threshold, Focus Ireland etc as this would give THEM reasonable time to re home him and I expected THEM to advise him exit my home quietly, before I throw him out . I also went to the guards again,,,, they think I'm demented (!!!! ) , but they just don't want to engage on this territory as think of the negative PR !

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

I also went to the guards again,,,, they think I'm demented (!!!! ) , but they just don't want to engage on this territory as think of the negative PR !

What do you want the guards to do? Evict him for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

RobbieMD wrote:
    What do you want the guards to do? Evict him for you?

If he won't leave, what would you do, send him a solicitors letter?

dubrov wrote: »
    If he won't leave, what would you do, send him a solicitors letter?

I wouldn’t expect the guards to get rid of him anyway. They have no authority to get involved matters that aren’t criminal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

The phrase “ who pissed on your cornflakes “ might be more literal in the next few days, op. Keep an eye on him and keep your toothbrush locked up too.

if he wont leave .... I am advised by guards , Flac , etc that i can forcibly eject him from my home as an unwelcome guest / invitee and that I have ceased any implied lodgers agreement (which is a personal agreement) , as I am not in receipt of monies and I no longer with to have him in my home ...COVID requirements do not require to retain an abusive guest in my home . ... This will be an interesting interesting few days !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

Rasher1234 wrote:
    if he wont leave .... I am advised by guards , Flac , etc that i can forcibly eject him from my home as an unwelcome guest / invitee and that I have ceased any implied lodgers agreement (which is a personal agreement) , as I am not in receipt of monies and I no longer with to have him in my home ...COVID requirements do not require to retain an abusive guest in my home . ... This will be an interesting interesting few days !

But if he is bigger and stronger than you, surely the guards would have to assist?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

I had two somewhat similar issues where the guards were involved.

1) I had a house rented out by the room (non-Landlord occupied), a tenant left owing me rent and without returning. I returned his HAP cheque to sender and got a string of threatening text messages. I went to the guards in person immediately. They phoned the ex-tenant and advised him to drop the keys that day to the station and cease all contact with me or they would pursue a complaint from me for threatening behaviour etc. He dropped the keys in, never heard from him again and of course never got my outstanding money.

2) My wife rented a room in the same house to a guy while I was away. The day he moved in, she got a call from his ex to say he was a major criminal. I rang him right away to say I was putting the house up for sale and was giving him a months notice but if he preferred he could move out the next day and I'd give him €50 inconvenience money. He agreed to that. I had a friend who is a Detective guard parked outside a few doors up with his partner while the guy moved out. No issue.

The guards won't get involved in a civil dispute if you change the locks and don't answer the door once the requisite notice period has expired and he threatens you, acts in a threatening way etc then call them right away, they will sort it. This guy gave up any right to good will when he started acting the boll*x.

Tread carefully here. “Forcibly eject” may be construed as assault, if he used force in return on you, he would have a defence. I doubt the guards, FLAC etc would be willing to give evidence, if it went to court, stating you were advised to forcibly eject him then. An unwelcome guest is not a trespasser in the criminal sense. We’ve seen this with the water protest and housing protestors taking over buildings. They took high court injunctions to resolve it, which were initially ignored.

I would try my very best to resolve this without getting into physical confrontation/ assault territory. It may well be the case that you have more to lose than him. If he leaves to go to the shops, and you have the doors locked when he gets back you’re in better territory then.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭what?

Just received a call from Threshold asking for my consideration in extending his duration with me ...advised NO way in a zillion years ....they had been copied on all correspondence so they kinda knew hes edited victim story ... and I advised that they were being duped ; that the guy deliberately generated this situation to as he knew he hadn't a leg to stand on; dragged in decent genuine organisations to booster his case, while in the interim , privately generating a hostile situation in my home in an attempt to extort money. Advised that I had to go to my HR department to advise them of my personal situation ; that I expected his irrational behaviour to be aimed at my work ....and they were looking for consideration ???? ...they were being played !
    I felt sorry for the girl as she was only doing her job and was obliged to reply ...but had zero knowledge of the antics I had been subjected to .. said , that I have every right to demand his immediate removal , I will stick t the notice period out of respect to people like Threshold, Focus Ireland etc as this would give THEM reasonable time to re home him and I expected THEM to advise him exit my home quietly, before I throw him out . I also went to the guards again,,,, they think I'm demented (!!!! ) , but they just don't want to engage on this territory as think of the negative PR !

sounds like he believed his own bull**** and found out the hard way...
    good on ya OP, is your house

NO ...the guards cant assist in a civil matter , HOWEVER if I show that i have been subject to a consistent course of actions (which in individual terms may be viewed as innocent at face value ( yet provocative in actuality )...but taken as a whole and would be be considered as harassment in its totality ..... then they are obliged to act as is then a criminal matter ..... the guards are TOTALLY against being drawn into this as they want (understandably) to keep a neutral PR stance ... the 7 day notice period stands ...I have asked Threshold to rehome him within this period so I can be returned to the quiet enjoyment of my home ...on the 8th day ....I will request their assistance to evict a TRESPASSER .... and they are obliged to attend ...however , I don't want to go thru the drama of this with my neighbours ...but if I have to , I will ...my neighbours know me for the last 20 years and they are aware ...as oddball as we all are (especially myself) , they would not permit this in their home ... I have already mentioned this to them and they are horrified ( yet totally supportive) ... lol.... I think that they are expecting a spectacle ....I should sell pay per view vouchers !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Hi
    Does anyone know of a way to evict a lodger without giving reasonable notice?
    I rent a room in my home end relationships have broken down to the extent I want him gone ASAP.
    I know he has little or no rights (he is a licencee) and has torn up his 28 day notice and is threatening to call the police on me for harassment ....is there any way I can get rid of him quicker as the situation is very unpleasant in my home.

Do you own the property?

Why has the relationship broken down, every relationship has ups and downs, we all need to pull together during this time of crisis.

You could head to the supermarket, get a few beers, bring them back and have a chat with him man to man over a few cold ones.

It may not be his/her fault as everyone is stressed at the moment with this lock down.

Why is the situation very unpleasant?? Are you harassing him? You mentioned that his was going to call the Garda on you? So maybe you are contributing to the bad atmosphere in the house?

As another poster said it would not look very good now would it to try and evict or get rid of somebody during this lock down period, ie it would not be looked upon very favourable by a Judge or Threshold or any Housing charity.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Starting to wonder if the OP is a wind up merchant, has been given plenty of advice (most of it the same) but still entertains this nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Starting to think the same myself.
    Knock on his door, tell him to get out, create a scene, call the neighbors or the gardai.
    Job done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement