Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unwelcome Lodger

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

Don't forget to change the locks and if he has your work email pre warn your manager of the situation in case he contacts them to be petty.

Rasher1234 wrote: »
    Many thanks for your input everyone....it has been of great support personally.

The lodger has now sent me an e mail on my work account & not my personal e mail, saying that he is a tenant and has rights and I’m an alcoholic / drug abuser drink and that I'm harassing him by asking him to leave! FFS !

Crime victim’s helpline advise that is just not on and to get to the police immediately.

Flac have advised that he has crossed all boundaries for lodger / tenant by connecting with me at work (as e mail are the property of the company), and such statements are flagrantly abusive and harassing and more so as he has chosen to involve my work.

Apparently, they have seen this all before and would appear he is attempting escalating matters to provoke me to doing something illegal. He now has zero rights and has now forfeited the courtesy of me giving reasonable notice.

I have additionally returned the current HAP payment for April back to HAP this morning.

Im off to the police this afternoon !

Wish me luck!
    Domestic violence is not just physical it’s also psychological - if you are in fear for your safety ( and by the sounds of it you might be) - a legitimate complaint to guards ( only if this is true I must emphasise) could be the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

As they say, give a man enough rope and he will hang himself. Which this clown has just done. To paraphrase Tony Montana, he's just fúcked himself.

I wonder will he be as gung ho and combative when he finds all his crap on the driveway and the locks changed. Lay low inside for a couple of days just in case he tries any bullshít like breaking in. If he does, you can defend yourself if the need for it arises. And call the Gardaí immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Hey op, he's just some ars*hole who can't understand he has to move on :p
    So many people in this world love to pull garbage out of their backside and say "I have rights" blah blah. Rather than accepting the actual situation and moving on. I used to work in retail and the amount of Shi*e people would say because they didn't get their way! Unreal stuff.

Look .... The second you wanted him gone should have been the second he was gone. You don't owe him anything. He does not owe you anything too.

If you are not the physical confrontational type that's ok. Then call the guards.

If you are not the physical confrontational type that's ok. Then call the guards.

Or the A Team :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Rasher1234

Bizarre !....

Been to the police an the they seem unwilling to get involved ....prob 'cos they don't wish to be seen to be facilitating a lodger being thrown out. ...which is understandable given today's challenges.... however , they did come down to witness me serve a 1 week notice , based on the lodgers irrational conduct and unreasonable behavior which I stated I found intimidating.... think it will only get worse before it gets better ! But at least , I have served notice , witnessed by guards and that the first step ! Hes under the total belief that he has rights to stay ....but i ask you , why would anyone want to stay in a place where he is unwelcome.... ??? Bizarre.

Watch this space !

if anyone could advise as to how my thinking is faulted , It would be most appreciated ...all my inquiries have confirmed my rational to be correct...have I missed anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Is he not covered under the new evictions laws?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

if anyone could advise as to how my thinking is faulted ,

It's not. Fcuk him out as soon as you finish reading this post if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

You should have ****ed him and his mistaken assumptions out the door while the gardai were there.
    He's an unwelcome guest in your home,you just don't have to put up with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is he not covered under the new evictions laws?

No

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

OP you will have to live with this lodger for another week. Not to worry you but if they are unstable are you not concerned they might try to get revenge on you in some way.

Can't believe you didn't get them to leave immediately!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

You are being too nice and you won't be rewarded for it.

I would have ****ed him out while the gards were there witness it, just say you changed your mind if they give out.

So you have returned the HAP money but he gets to stay a bit longer?

Find an emergency locksmith who is working during this lockdown and change the locks while he is out. Leave his stuff outside - job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

endacl wrote: »
    It's not. Fcuk him out as soon as you finish reading this post if you like.

Just remember, you're only hearing one side of the story here..............

Looks like lynch mob rules apply here.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

BarryD2 wrote: »

Some vicious stuff on here lately alright. You'd swear it was mandatory to rent out rooms in your house to strangers for profit the way they go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭893bet

BarryD2 wrote: »

No it’s the my house, my rules mob.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Find an emergency locksmith who is working during this lockdown and change the locks while he is out. Leave his stuff outside - job done.

Ive not left my house in over a week, tough time to try do it, but 100% needs to be done.

Well you've unfortunately given him a week so you'll have to stick to that.
    But when that week is up, if he gives any lip I'd catch him up by the neck and send him head first out through the nearest window.

Prick of a lodger, he has no rights and doesn't deserve any. It's your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,418 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Bizarre !....

Been to the police an the they seem unwilling to get involved ....prob 'cos they don't wish to be seen to be facilitating a lodger being thrown out. ...which is understandable given today's challenges.... however , they did come down to witness me serve a 1 week notice , based on the lodgers irrational conduct and unreasonable behavior which I stated I found intimidating.... think it will only get worse before it gets better !
    I'd guess they are unwilling to get involved because this is a civil matter between you and your lodger. The Gardai are there to enforce criminal law, not to help you to sort out commercial disputes.

If your lodger has broken the law, report that breach to the Gardai. Otherwise, it's not really their issue.
    but i ask you , why would anyone want to stay in a place where he is unwelcome.... ??? Bizarre.
    Possibly because he has nowhere else to live.

That is the risk one takes when they are a lodger. If he want's security, then he must get his act in order and buy a property of his own. It is his issue, not the responsibility of another homeowner.

That is the risk one takes when they are a lodger. If he want's security, then he must get his act in order and buy a property of his own. It is his issue, not the responsibility of another homeowner.

Spoken like someone from the 1700s.

What kind of oddball buys a property then immediately gives up their privacy for profit to allow some random stranger to move in. Oddballs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

What did he say when the cops were there?

Ballso wrote: »
    Spoken like someone from the 1700s.

What kind of oddball buys a property then immediately gives up their privacy for profit to allow some random stranger to move in. Oddballs.

A man's home is his castle, in other words he can do whatever the **** he want to with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Wow what a horrible situation. You have had lots of good advice already so hope it works out for you

housetypeb wrote: »
    A man's home is his castle, in other words he can do whatever the **** he want to with it.

"My home is my castle" and "I'll rent out rooms in my house to strangers for money" seem like opposite approaches to me.

Why would you buy a property only to give up your privacy and security by sharing it with strangers? It's weird.

Ballso wrote: »
    "My home is my castle" and "I'll rent out rooms in my house to strangers for money" seem like opposite approaches to me.

Why would you buy a property only to give up your privacy and security by sharing it with strangers? It's weird.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

His house,his choice,his rules.

Unfortunately due to broken relationships, inability to pay off mortgage ( now in vulture territory) and one singleincome and a desire to keep the roof over my head .... this oddball made a deal with the devil not to give into the vultures approach of ' give up , get out and go away' ..... yes a man's home maybe his castle ....but not always the ground its situated on !

housetypeb wrote: »
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

His house,his choice,his rules.

Sure, still a bit sad though. Let's not pretend these folks are the adults in the room just because they own property. Most of them would seriously struggle if it wasn't for exploiting a housing crisis to rent rooms to the most vulnerable. Nobody in their right mind would live with an owner occupier if they had a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Possibly because he has nowhere else to live.

Ah, poor soul. If the lodger has nowhere else to live, then he should behave himself, and not act like a pr1ck!! Then all would be cool...

Ahh ha ...thinges get curiouser and curiouser ...the lodger has now intimated that for a fee he would be wiling to leave ..... this makes me all the more determined to Fcuk him out in a few days as how ****ing dare he try to monetize a situation like this, in a time of crisis for all of us all ...its no wonder he was being so vehement about staying ....he could use the situation to his benefit ...

• Advertisement

Ahh ha ...thinges get curiouser and curiouser ...the lodger has now intimated that for a fee he would be wiling to leave ..... this makes me all the more determined to Fcuk him out in a few days as how ****ing dare he try to monetize a situation like this, in a time of crisis for all of us all ...its no wonder he was being so vehement about staying ....he could use the situation to his benefit ...

For **** sake, go down to the Gardai station and tell them that you are evicting an unwelcome guest from your home,that refuses to leave, and you expect there to be trouble and you need them present as a precaution.
    This guy is walking all over you, he has no rights.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement