Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Who controls the slipway in the harbour? Are there any changes since last Sunday?

Greystones-Harbour-Marina-Car-Family-Buncrana-Donegal-27th-Mar-2016.jpg

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/shocking-picture-shows-car-parked-7643707

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Who controls the slipway in the harbour? Are there any changes since last Sunday?

there's a harbour master, but AFAIK there is no gate on the (2) slipways.

According to one of the news reports I read about Buncrana there are 3000 access points for vehicles to the water around the coast, there's no accounting for some people's stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Tabnabs wrote: »

Greystones-Harbour-Marina-Car-Family-Buncrana-Donegal-27th-Mar-2016.jpg

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/shocking-picture-shows-car-parked-7643707

:eek: FFS! :eek:

While the development/progress is good to see, the harbour is turning into a symphony in concrete. And not in a good way.

Are there any plans for softening the look of it in any way? I've only been there by boat a few times, and not recently - it was concrete-y enough then, god knows, but going by the recently posted pictures, the amount of concrete seems to have multiplied many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

loyatemu wrote: »
    there's a harbour master, but AFAIK there is no gate on the (2) slipways.

According to one of the news reports I read about Buncrana there are 3000 access points for vehicles to the water around the coast, there's no accounting for some people's stupidity.
    Working slips do tend to be kept clear, so vehicles can put in and take out boats.

It's not something I would do, but I thought the reaction was a bit OTT to be honest. Different slips are kept in different condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭legrand

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    :eek: FFS! :eek:

While the development/progress is good to see, the harbour is turning into a symphony in concrete. And not in a good way.

Are there any plans for softening the look of it in any way? I've only been there by boat a few times, and not recently - it was concrete-y enough then, god knows, but going by the recently posted pictures, the amount of concrete seems to have multiplied many times.

They have some green areas (seeded) and a bunch of conifers but mostly a symphony cacophony of concrete. A visitor commented (relating to the clubhouses) that if there was a prize for the most characterless architecture then it would surely win first prize. Hard to disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It's not something I would do, but I thought the reaction was a bit OTT to be honest. Different slips are kept in different condition.
    That particular one is very, very slippery towards the end. As I know to my cost, after stepping up onto it from the shingle.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Harry Kane

Scurrying deep underground in the buried old town dump at Greystones Harbour dwells an enormous mischief of the world’s most despised vermin, the RAT and these rats are angry. Very angry. Construction works now being carried out beside the old dump are resulting in chaos among the enormous mischief and its clandestine subterranean dwellers. This is amplified by the collapsing cliffs of the north beach as the underground rat city is attacked from all sides

Reminding oneself that these incipient rodents can carry a variety of zoonotic pathogens such as Lassa fever, leptospirosis, Leptospira, Hantavirus, Toxoplasma gondii, Campylobacter, Weil's disease, rat bite fever, cryptosporidiosis, viral hemorrhagic feverand the dreaded bubonic plague (Black Death) it is evident that this disturbance of the mischief is now a real public health issue.

Harry Kane wrote: »
    Scurrying deep underground in the buried old town dump at Greystones Harbour dwells an enormous mischief of the world’s most despised vermin, the RAT and these rats are angry. Very angry. Construction works now being carried out beside the old dump are resulting in chaos among the enormous mischief and its clandestine subterranean dwellers. This is amplified by the collapsing cliffs of the north beach as the underground rat city is attacked from all sides

Reminding oneself that these incipient rodents can carry a variety of zoonotic pathogens such as Lassa fever, leptospirosis, Leptospira, Hantavirus, Toxoplasma gondii, Campylobacter, Weil's disease, rat bite fever, cryptosporidiosis, viral hemorrhagic feverand the dreaded bubonic plague (Black Death) it is evident that this disturbance of the mischief is now a real public health issue.

True, but rats have always lived in that area and also in the rocks at the Kish base. Not many if anyone have suffered because of their close proximity to them over the years.

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    True, but rats have always lived in that area and also in the rocks at the Kish base. Not many if anyone have suffered because of their close proximity to them over the years.

True, but up until now to my knowledge nobody has actually lived on the sadly lamented Kish Base nor indeed has anyone ever set up residence on top of the old town dump for that matter. However they are now building new residential dwellings right on top of the mischief at the old town dump. As a result people's health will be put in harms way. Already the abhorred rats are becoming more and more visible in the general harbour area and their audible squeaking and piping calls can startle unsuspecting onlookers. It also must be pointed out that rats are able to fit though very tiny openings, chew through various materials and dig under building foundations. Brown rats have a very high birth rate. One humble rat can give birth to 16 pups ten times a year which equates to about 2000 offspring if left unchecked. So we ignore the impending rat doom at the old town dump at the harbour our peril.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

rats are everywhere - particularly if you read the Daily Star:

CWS_BHyXAAE54bb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,873 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Eh can we scurry back on topic and less of the rodent talk

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

26463714221_1f75b99aaa_c.jpgGreystones by Pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

legrand wrote: »
    They have some green areas (seeded) and a bunch of conifers but mostly a symphony cacophony of concrete. A visitor commented (relating to the clubhouses) that if there was a prize for the most characterless architecture then it would surely win first prize. Hard to disagree.

I was in Greystones for the first time last weekend. Was going for dinner at Jaipur but as we had no idea about parking we pulled in at the marina. Agree about the concrete look, very industrial feel about it almost like a mini port without the 40 ft containers. The village is nice I must admit but the marina could be improved upon.

Nothing surprises me about the conduct of Sisks during this protracted development. Wicklow County Council as the supposed planning authority have allowed Sisks to change the project without question. They have been allowed to build houses on top of the rat infested old town dump by the Council without question to generate even more private gain. The taking away of The Bawn right of way is yet another example of Sisks doing exactly what they want at the expense of the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

John, why do you think it's threatened? The sign says no vehicle access but appears to indicate the pedestrian right of way. I haven't been down there for a while and am struggling to remember the original layout, there might have been vehicle access back when God was a teenager, wasn't there a gate at the bottom of the Bawn beside Paddy Doyle's house? This led into a field that subsequently became Johnny Burke's yard at which time it was probably walled off.
    I think if a right of way falls into disuse, and I could be very wrong on this!, after twenty years it can be extinguished , but it can't just be closed up, as far as I know there has to be a public consultation process...so my understanding of the process is if there was a quiet attempt to close this and there was a desire to keep it open that action would need to be taken..

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    John, why do you think it's threatened?
    Because I have been talking to a resident of the Bawn and he told me. There is communication between residents and Wicklow County Council regarding the right of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Very good, I know what you're saying..

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Harry Bosch

Shint0 wrote: »
    I was in Greystones for the first time last weekend. Was going for dinner at Jaipur but as we had no idea about parking we pulled in at the marina. Agree about the concrete look, very industrial feel about it almost like a mini port without the 40 ft containers. The village is nice I must admit but the marina could be improved upon.

It could. Maybe by using a small tactical nuclear device.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

are tehy some sort of pine / conifer? seems an odd choice of tree to go into a public space like that. A lot of sap and needles everywhere...

• Advertisement

^^^
    Sap and needles are the least of the problem.
    Last evening it was ankle deep in litter around the bins providing a feast for our avian friends who in turn spread the litter further afield. In typical Irish style no one could figure out that if a bin is full then the right think to do is take their litter home. But that will never happen in this country sadly.

Advertisement