Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to weights etc

Options
  • 08-09-2013 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Well I was thinking of joining up a gym for the winter before the hurlin starts back up and was wanting to get a lot quicker and a bit bigger :P Do squats have an impact on your speed or acceleration is basically my question and also how much do you think I could bulk up between now and feburary if I was on protein as well? :) Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭burrenguy

Squats have an effect on your speed because by increasing the amount of weight you can squat, your muscles get stronger.. and a stronger muscle can contract harder.
    Acceleration is mostly about reaction time and getting up to a high speed in a short amount of time. This would be trained by doing a series of short sprints (e.g 10-40 metres for example) allowing yourself to recover in between.
    RE bulking up: Assuming you haven't weight trained seriously before, your body will build muscle fairly quickly. The figure of 20-25 points of mostly muscle is quoted, but that's more applicable to to skinny teenage boys. The protein is good if it helps you reach your protein goals for the day.. but its better to get it from natural food sources if you can (eggs, meat etc.) You have to make sure the rest of your diet is in line with your goals too. Read this sticky to get a handle on diet if you don't already have one. The main thing is that if you want to bulk slowly, eat with a surplus of 300-500 calories each day.
    anyway, good luck.

Advertisement