Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jack Charlton has died

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,830 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

RIP Jack

What you brought to the nation was truly special.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Aww will always be remembered fondly, RIP

We'll always be part of Jackie's army. RIP Big Jack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Rip to big jack.
    They were good times

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

We're all part of Jackie's army........

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Jack Imhoff

The only man to quieten Roy Keane.. R.I.P. big fella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Rest in peace big man, i was only listening to this in the car last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭butrasgali

Yes,rip Jack,, you gave us the best sporting days ever..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,666 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I was just showing my son the highlights from world cup 1990 during the week , what a summer

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I don't remember a happier time in this country as it was back then

RIP Jack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Give it a lash Jack!

R.I.P to the greatest honorary Irishman ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Gutted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Gave us amazing times. His achievements have sometimes been diminished by the Captain Hindsight brigade but what he did with Ireland was unbelievable.

He gave me memories and a love of football that will last for the whole of my life.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

He played a big part in dragging Irish football out of the doldrums. He lifted the spirits of the nation. As a child I watched some great moments in Irish football because of Jack Charlton. Thank you and God bless you. R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

RIP

He will always be part of the fabric of 90's Ireland.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭123654789

A legend. Few Englishmen made their way into the hearts of the Irish like Jack did and many glasses will be raised in his honour.

To quote the man himself, “Can we go now please? I’d like a beer.”

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭pipelaser

BBC says that hes dies at 85, meaning that he was 55 at Italia 90! Surely this is wrong?
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Had a huge positive influence on the country RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

pipelaser wrote: »
    BBC says that hes dies at 85, meaning that he was 55 at Italia 90! Surely this is wrong?
    RIP

No, that’s how time works.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Rip jackie. Sleep well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭RayCon

:( Thanks for everything Jack. R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Be right back

We're all part of Jackie's army........

We are all off to Italy...
    Thanks for the memories, Jack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

RIP Jack. I think you have to be of a certain age to understand the impact and importance that man had on the well-being of the nation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Lifted the spirits of a Nation and the start of Ireland rising as an economic force and birth of our self belief.

Italia 90 was a fantastic time to be Irish for those of us who remember. I would say those times were the happiest of my life ( i had just started work) and I've shed a tear here this morning thinking of it all.

So much positivity and goodwill. Everywhere you went people were talking about Ireland in the world cup, men, women, children of every age. For a brief time during that Summer, some of us believed Ireland could actually win the World Cup and a nation held its breath.

Still get goosebumps when I hear the start of 'put em under pressure'.

May the road rise with you Big Man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

That's mad, I was just thinking about him the other day. Honestly I think the effect of his accomplishments go beyond football. Before his tenure there was a really defeatist attitude in Ireland. Qualifying for and progressing in the European and World cups was key in changing that. Hard to to believe if you weren't around at the time but that's how I remember it. RIP big lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

quote-nothing-is-given-to-you-you-ve-got-to-work-for-it-jack-charlton-102-49-73.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Loved the rapturous reception he received at the Aviva in 2015.

You could see it meant a lot to him to be remembered so fondly.

Euro 88 & Italia 90 in particular were utterly magic times, that went way beyond football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,492 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Too young to remember any of this tenure bar when he left, but fully aware of his legacy. He is literally the dictionary definition of "honourary Irishman".

While the football wasn't easy on the eye in hindsight, he brought unbridled joy to an entire nation. Not many managers can lay claim to that.

Had a tear in my eye when the news broke on the way into work. Which says something considering his age and health problems and not being old enough to remember the glory days.

Jack-Charlton.jpg

RIP big Jack

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Awwwwww :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,413 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

He really lifted the country, not just in sport, I believe his reign was the inspiration for the country to economically get off its hole and believe we could compete globally.

RIP Jack xxx

World Cup winner and had everyone in Ireland believing they could be World Cup winners too. An absolute legend and in the 90s raised the spirits of every Irish person in the world. Even if you wasn’t Irish, you wanted to be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

R.I.P. Jack.

Olė, Olė Olė olė
    Olė
    Olė

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Having a fag before kick off for Leeds. :D

Ecoc-M8WoAUkpz5?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

RIP Jack :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Did more for this country than any political leader ever has.

R. I. P. Jack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Great character Jack, did it his own way, shrewd cookie, great man for the fishing, gave this country some unforgettable moments and lifted the spirits of the whole country,another Leeds man passes on, RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,392 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Italia '90 was the most fantastic event to live through.

30 years on it still lives strong and vivid in my memory.

Thanks Jack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭screamer

We’re all part of jackys army.
    Thanks for the memories and elevating our country and our spirits to huge heights. Rest in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Never cared about football but the atmosphere around Italia 90 was electric. Best days of my youth out and about because of it. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Great long ball manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Brought hope and dreams to the nation in times when we had nothing else going for us. Will be remembered fondly always. R.I.P Jack.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

RIP Big Jack

Dragged irish International football up an carried us all along on amazing times and memories..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The man deserves a national day of mourning.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I am not able to fully grasp the emotions that this particular piece of news has stoked up in me this morning

Like many here, the turning point of the dark days of the 80s recession coincided with the managership of Jackie, a golden generation of Irish players and the sheer joy that our footballing exploits brought a country.

2020 has officially gone too far!
    July was meant to be Alien invasion! Not a devastating blow to our national psyche :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

I’m really upset to hear this news this morning. What a time it was to be alive during the 90 World Cup. I will never forget the penalty shootout, my heart thumping in my chest as George Hamilton said exactly what we were thinking “a nation holds its breath”. When Packie saved that penalty the whole country just erupted. We were out dancing in the street. Everything stopped and for a while we just partied and had fun.

94 was some of the best craic I had watching the games in the pub.

I was always struck by his humility as a person and his sense of humor.

RIP Big Jack and thanks for the good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

When he was roaring at the English knacks on the pitch at Landsdowne in 95 he went up even further again in my estimation. Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Ah so sad, I lived through Euro 88, the World Cups in 1990 and 94. He lifted the Irish nation and took us to places we never had seen before. The memories will live on as will the legend of Mr Charlton. RIP Big Jack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

He made our dreams come true. RIP Legend.

Jack Charlton was one of only two people, to my knowledge, to have been given honourary Irish citizenship.

Pub quiz question - name the other one?

• Advertisement
Advertisement