Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

I've done a staycation every year in Ireland for years now as well as a week in the sun!
    I always take the dogs for their holiday for a week.
    I'm booked to go to Wexford this year, i wasn't planning on booking with everything going on but when they start bringing things forward, i went ahead and done it.....and since then, they delayed the opening of the pubs and i'm worried that they'll push back again and everything will be closed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

The quality of what gets sold as luxury self catering here seems very variable and unpredictable. It’s something Failte Ireland would want to get a grip of as there’s nothing more disappointing than booking what turns out to feel more like a self catering hostel when it’s sold as luxurious.

I’ve experienced exactly the same. The garish orange and yellow interior walls, the cheap pine furniture, the lumpy mattress that you can feel every spring in and my personal nightmare: the weird economy 7 / ESB gold shield heating that never manages to heat the water without all sorts of convolutions. Why in Ireland can’t houses have the same easy to use, cheap to run water heating as everywhere else in Europe? Normally you have an ultra insulated tank that just heats. There’s no heat loss worth talking about so it just says on. We seem obsessed with immersions and timers and stuff that doesn’t work at all and is extremely inconvenient. I replaced my own home system with something a lot more like what’s normal on the continent and it makes a hell of a difference - bills went down, convenience went up.

Also the lack of comfortable heating, especially in bedrooms is awful in this climate. I’ve encountered that economy 7 garbage with nothing but a tiny hardwired convector heater in the bedrooms and it means very uncomfortable nights and it can be cold here in summer. It’s not the Mediterranean and you can easily get 8C at night in May and June.

That and the lack of a proper tumble dryer, even in very top end places, is crazy. The weather is very wet and you’re likely to be doing outdoors stuff. Doing the laundry shouldn’t be a major hassle. A basic set of a washer and a decent dryer isn’t that much to ask. Those awful washer dryers are next to useless as dryers and even damage clothes as they often seem to dry extremely hot. Everything comes out over heated, wrinkled and smelling like rubber.

Anyway, that’s my rant about Irish self catering.

I find at the similar price points the quality in France for example is often better and it’s definitely more regulated and predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Yeah, were looking at West Cork or Kerry for November. No interest in going abroad anytime soon. That includes our honeymoon for next May!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

GBX wrote: »
    Yeah, were looking at West Cork or Kerry for November. No interest in going abroad anytime soon. That includes our honeymoon for next May!

We're in the same boat. Postponed our wedding from Sept 2020 to May 2021. Not even thinking about a honeymoon tbh! If we can actually go ahead and get married with all of our immediate family (siblings live abroad) we'll be happy out. A break in Ireland would be fine, but not holding my breath when it comes to big trip abroad. Before the lockdown we'd been considering places like the Galapagos or Indonesia for the honeymoon :rolleyes:

woodchuck wrote: »
    We're in the same boat. Postponed our wedding from Sept 2020 to May 2021. Not even thinking about a honeymoon tbh! If we can actually go ahead and get married with all of our immediate family (siblings live abroad) we'll be happy out. A break in Ireland would be fine, but not holding my breath when it comes to big trip abroad. Before the lockdown we'd been considering places like the Galapagos or Indonesia for the honeymoon :rolleyes:

Yeah we had ideas of somewhere exotic as well, totally on the back burner now. We may just be holidaying in Ireland for the next few years and that's fine.

• Advertisement

Yeah we had ideas of somewhere exotic as well, totally on the back burner now. We may just be holidaying in Ireland for the next few years and that's fine.

We went on safari last year and I'm absolutely delighted we didn't wait to do it! It was a lifelong dream of mine and I always thought I'd do it for a honeymoon, but I got sick of waiting for him to pop the question :P I'm really glad I just said "fcuk it" and made it happen last year.

We're at the stage of life now where we're starting to settle down (buying a house atm, as well as planning the wedding), so the big trips were naturally going to ease off for us as other things started to take priority.

Absolutely sucks for anyone who is coming into the wanderlust years of their life though :(

We couldn't make our mind up on where exactly to go. Kind of glad we delayed. The trip of a lifetime can wait till we (and the rest of the world) is ready!

We couldn't make our mind up on where exactly to go. Kind of glad we delayed. The trip of a lifetime can wait till we (and the rest of the world) is ready!

I'd put himself in charge of organising the honeymoon (since I was doing everything else!) so naturally it was put on the long finger. I was p1ssed off at him at the time, but obviously relieved now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

woodchuck wrote: »
    I'd put himself in charge of organising the honeymoon (since I was doing everything else!) so naturally it was put on the long finger. I was p1ssed off at him at the time, but obviously relieved now.

Reading this has reminded me of ours, we put everything into the wedding and almost forgot the Honeymoon, as a last minute thought I booked 5 days in Portugal on GoHop, we had hols planned with our boys anyway (6 and 4) they were small so we didn't want to leave them very long but my mum said to treat Mrs spin so I did.

Lets just say the hotel I had booked was more of a hostel (metal frame beds etc) and the place itself was right in the middle of nowhere, even the taxi got lost bringing us there - no probs distancing as there was literally nothing to do etc. We came back in the middle of a heatwave here and took the boys off to Cork for a week - it was one of the best hols ever - no exaggeration, Cobh was like something on the Mediterranean. Tans, fun, great food etc brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

At the moment I'm staying in a self-catering apartment attached to a hotel in Clifden that described itself as luxurious on the website, and charging accordingly. Booked 6 nights on the basis of it being as described, but it is anything but luxurious. I had just spent a luxurious night at the Lodge at Ashford Castle, and have worked out that had I stayed there a further 6 nights, enjoying breakfast & dinner with wine included, I would ha e come out €500 the richer.

Some of the furniture is only fit for a skip, the dull brown cheap-looking sofa included. Almost bare yellow walls to match, stained heaters, burn marks on table. Cheapest of everything on board. No design whatsoever. I think some prisons have a more upbeat vibe. Luxurious my @ss. The people in charge are lovely, all apologetic etc, and even agreeing it could do with improvement. They even offered to get painters in whilst I'm here to make it better, but I declined the offer of the decorators coming in and disturbing what should be a peaceful uplifting holiday. I actually very rarely have complaint about places I stay, and have enjoyed top notch self-catering in eg Tallinn for far less. I don't know if self-catering standards in Ireland are generally poor as I have had no previous experience of it here.

Always worth having a look at tripadvisor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Great place but a total rip off this year.

Being from Kerry never get the fascination with Killarney town itself. It's always a ripoff and normally thronged with tourists all summer round. Even more so you would want to avoid it now with the virus

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Being from Kerry never get the fascination with Killarney town itself. It's always a ripoff and normally thronged with tourists all summer round. Even more so you would want to avoid it now with the virus

yep it and dingle are not nice towns , but are in beautiful areas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

yep it and dingle are not nice towns , but are in beautiful areas

I think you have hit the nail on the head there both get overly busy, laced in paddy whackery and have clearly set out their stalls to cater for the US coach tour market above anything else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

Cape Clear wrote: »
    I think you have hit the nail on the head there both get overly busy, laced in paddy whackery and have clearly set out their stalls to cater for the US coach tour market above anything else.

yep kenmare for example far nicer , loads of lovely towns there bar those 2 kips

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

yep kenmare for example far nicer , loads of lovely towns there bar those 2 kips

Kips

tenor.gif?itemid=8577662

If you want kips, go to this thread

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058071490

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Stayed in Killarney once (many years ago) and was not mad about it myself, I recall the main street being quite drab at that time.
    Next time I was in Killarney for a concert, stayed in Killorglin instead, I recall it was quite a nice and lively village.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 murphy15

otnomart wrote: »
    Stayed in Killarney once (many years ago) and was not mad about it myself, I recall the main street being quite drab at that time.
    Next time I was in Killarney for a concert, stayed in Killorglin instead, I recall it was quite a nice and lively village.

tbh id avoid Kerry like the plague, id be more interested in galway mayo Sligo donegal area of the country, much better value too, we did galway and mayo this trip its was fabulous and next time I'm doing Sligo Donegal maybe even do Fermanagh

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Enjoyed reading all your posts.

Now can anyone tell me if there is a portal out there where I could book a luxury cottage/house by the sea, near a pub/restaurant/shop, in other words put in your criteria and suggestions will pop up. Not used to booking anything here for years, although we do have a few mini breaks during the year and they are easy enough to find. Suggestions very welcome.

Going to treat us to a nice break, Doesn't matter where and budget is generous, as long as it's got everything we need and is in the right place. Not doing anything else, the few bob is there so gotta spend it at home. September time, no kids with us now.

We could go to a luxury hotel but I'm a bit clumsy and I find it hard to relax around hushed tones, white tablecloths (always spill a few drops of red wine lol), and obsequious attention. So...... Help me please!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Now can anyone tell me if there is a portal out there where I could book a luxury cottage/house by the sea, near a pub/restaurant/shop, in other words put in your criteria and suggestions will pop up. Not used to booking anything here for years, although we do have a few mini breaks during the year and they are easy enough to find. Suggestions very welcome.

Going to treat us to a nice break, Doesn't matter where and budget is generous, as long as it's got everything we need and is in the right place. Not doing anything else, the few bob is there so gotta spend it at home. September time, no kids with us now.

We could go to a luxury hotel but I'm a bit clumsy and I find it hard to relax around hushed tones, white tablecloths (always spill a few drops of red wine lol), and obsequious attention. So...... Help me please!

Rent a posh boat on the Shannon and cruise around lough Derg to lots of great pubs in Garrykennedy, Terryglass, Portumna, Mountshannon, Shannon Bridge etc. Its the ultimate staycation in my eyes and September should have availability.

Failing that a combination of bookings.com, tripadvisor and google maps is a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Have a look at The Beach Bar’ in Sligo, far more than just a pub, properties close by for bb&b and rent, lovely spot and amazing food.

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    Have a look at The Beach Bar’ in Sligo, far more than just a pub, properties close by for bb&b and rent, lovely spot and amazing food.

Wow, that is in a stunning location. Thank you for the tip. We had been thinking of Mullaghmore but now.....

We really have a beautiful country, undiscovered by many up to the current situation.

krissovo wrote: »
    Rent a posh boat on the Shannon and cruise around lough Derg to lots of great pubs in Garrykennedy, Terryglass, Portumna, Mountshannon, Shannon Bridge etc. Its the ultimate staycation in my eyes and September should have availability.

Failing that a combination of bookings.com, tripadvisor and google maps is a good start.

The other half doesn't like boats :(

I did the Shannon/Erne with friends a few years ago, it was really enjoyable. Lots of places to stop that you would never think existed from the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

sasta le wrote: »
    See this one pop up on social media alot how did you find it

Like sleeping in a garden shed. Horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Ashford Castle Lodge was absolutely beautiful. Staying now at Station House Hotel Apartments, Clifden. I just can't really take it much more, considering the huge price I paid, and the fact they stayed they are luxury apartments. When I spent the one night at Ashford Lodge B&B (sumptuous) with fine dinner with two huge glasses of wine at Cullens in the estate it came to total if €230 single, I am paying very well over €300 per night where I am in Clifden for self catering, albeit with two bedrooms. I hD been prepared to splash out a bit for the advertised "luxury". Would have been a lot better off staying at Ashford a bit and being pampered .

Mind you, when the sun is out, the scenery on the Connemara coast is the mist stunning in the world! It deserves fitting hotels.

I'm thinking of going away myself for a few days. Would you recommend Ashford Lodge for a single person?

I stayed at Station House Hotel a few years back and I wasnt mad about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭gaillimh

anewme wrote: »
    I'm thinking of going away myself for a few days. Would you recommend Ashford Lodge for a single person?

I stayed at Station House Hotel a few years back and I wasnt mad about it.

I live just a few miles away from the Lodge at Ashford. Lovely spot. Haven’t stayed there but have been in several of the rooms and have eaten in the restaurant a few times.
    For a night or two away without kids it would be ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭anewme

gaillimh wrote: »
    I live just a few miles away from the Lodge at Ashford. Lovely spot. Haven’t stayed there but have been in several of the rooms and have eaten in the restaurant a few times.

Thanks a lot. I've no kids. Was just thinking of taking a few days out to explore the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Fun fact, my wife's granny worked there when the Quiet Man was being filmed.
    Met all the stars and she has an original script from the movie at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,855 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I stayed here https://www.qc.ie/ a few years ago for a weekend...... the ultimate in casual luxury, in the most amazingly scenic area of the Iveragh Peninsula. Couldn't recommend it highly enough ( with the caveat that it WAS a few years ago so may have changed in the meantime, but I would hope and think not). The food in their restaurant was amazing, and there were a couple of other class eating places in/near the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I live just a few miles away from the Lodge at Ashford. Lovely spot. Haven’t stayed there but have been in several of the rooms

Look at Pat Mustard over here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Down in Kerry, we bought a rack for the car and brought our bikes, having a great time. It’s all about having the right attitude I think. No Americans clogging up the shops & restaurants too making everything more manageable!

Advertisement