Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5HP outboard stiff gear lever

Options
  • 20-05-2020 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭

Small 5 Hp outboard I have been on the back of the boat all winter and the engine is running fine but the gear lever is very stiff to move into forward and reverse. It,ll go into gear but needs a bit of muscle. Its very little use on it since a service in 2018 so I cant figure out why it would be so stiff now. With cables and tubes its very to see anything in the engine without pulling things apart which I dont want to do. Any tips or tricks to try before I have to lug it to the repair shop?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

What engine is it, I know Yamaha have a plastic part in their gear shift that swells up and makes it hard to change gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

Its a yamaha.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

This might be a bit of help, it would also be worth ordering an impeller while you have the gear box dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

Might just drop it in to the place I bought it from I'm dire at mechanics

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

Have you remotes to the engine because those cables and the control box itself can really stiffen up if unused for a while. THe good news is they will free up with persistence and lots of WD40. Best to disconnect the gear cable at the engine end - -just a simple clip- and work the cable with WD40 until it's free.

• Advertisement
Advertisement