Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Phoenix park

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's not quite a natural habitat though? it's managed parkland that they were introduced to, and the herd is itself managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Loving the park at the moment without the through traffic. Previously I would regularly see how lines of cars in the evening backed up from the Castlelknock gate.
    Nice to see people able to walk around and cycle up the roads now closed to traffic.
    Car access still required for visitors to events and to the zoo but that could be mitigated to an extent with improvements to public transport into the park.
    Chesterfield avenue itself is 5km long end to end and dublin bus doesn't travel into the park so an underground station around the zoo seemed like it would tick a lot of boxes with regard convenience from a visitors point of view. Most of the sports events and concerts in addition to the like of bloom would start beside it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

it's not quite a natural habitat though? it's managed parkland that they were introduced to, and the herd is itself managed.

Well it's as natural as you will find in these parts:

Phoenix-Park-Deer-Frequently-Asked-Questions.pdf

I've grown up beside the park and we knew growing up that you leave the deer alone. This feeding them business only became prominent in the last few years, anyway not a major point in the discussion but it just really annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Would prefer if small electric buses done loops around the inside of the park and down to terminate at Heuston station and close it off to cars entirely.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Would prefer if small electric buses done loops around the inside of the park and down to terminate at Heuston station and close it off to cars entirely.

Could work electric shuttle from heuston zoo visitor center and new ashtown station?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

caff wrote: »
    Chesterfield avenue itself is 5km long end to end and dublin bus doesn't travel into the park so an underground station around the zoo seemed like it would tick a lot of boxes with regard convenience from a visitors point of view. Most of the sports events and concerts in addition to the like of bloom would start beside it too.

What is with the aversion to buses??

Why spend €100m+ on an underground station when you can get people to the Phoenix Park more quickly and with less of an environmental impact for the cost of sticking a yellow pole outside the Zoo and Garda HQ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be, its totally, totally pointless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Phil.x wrote: »
    Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be, its totally, totally pointless.
    not sure which point you're reacting to there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

There is a proposal as part of the strategic plan for shuttle buses, driverless I think. There was actually a shuttle bus launched some years back, a hail and stop single deck bus. It was brought in for Park visitors and staff working within the Park. The 1500 or so workers within the Park was brought up as a case for bringing it in. Personally I was never gone on the idea. Not that I ever mattered. It never really took off as there was very little passengers that used it. I'm not sure I ever saw a passenger onboard.

As regards closing to traffic altogether I think there would be massive opposition. In fact I know there would be. I wouldn't be in favour myself but equally wouldn't like to see it opened up to more traffic or heavier vehicles. Additional car parks were also part of that plan and I would hate to see that come to fruition.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Just leave the park the way it is, it's perfectly fine.

No, it's not. traffic needs to be reduced and people encouraged to get there by means other than car.

• Advertisement

not sure which point you're reacting to there?

Sorry, underground station.

Effects wrote: »
    No, it's not. traffic needs to be reduced and people encouraged to get there by means other than car.

No it's fine as is.

as it is, or as it was before the pox hit?

as it is, or as it was before the pox hit?

Sorry again, fine before the pox.
    I must remember people cannot read my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

There is a proposal as part of the strategic plan for shuttle buses, driverless I think. There was actually a shuttle bus launched some years back, a hail and stop single deck bus. It was brought in for Park visitors and staff working within the Park. The 1500 or so workers within the Park was brought up as a case for bringing it in. Personally I was never gone on the idea. Not that I ever mattered. It never really took off as there was very little passengers that used it. I'm not sure I ever saw a passenger onboard.

As regards closing to traffic altogether I think there would be massive opposition. In fact I know there would be. I wouldn't be in favour myself but equally wouldn't like to see it opened up to more traffic or heavier vehicles. Additional car parks were also part of that plan and I would hate to see that come to fruition.

If there was effectively a ban on cars and it was either the bus or on foot or bike, it would be very popular all day all year round

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

No way. was proposed a few years back and rightly didn't go ahead. Would be a mess bringing buses through the park.

Hundreds if not thousands of cars per hours? Sure no problem. A dozen or so buses per hour? That would be a right mess. Hmm makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

If there was effectively a ban on cars and it was either the bus or on foot or bike, it would be very popular all day all year round

It is already very popular all day all year round. I’d argue if you currently banned cars through it / to it, it would be noticeably less popular.

It is already very popular all day all year round. I’d argue if you currently banned cars through it / to it, it would be noticeably less popular.

Currently there is a car ban. It is noticeably more popular

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Argue it so.

How exactly would stopping cars from driving through a park on their way to somewhere else make the park noticeably less popular?

Do you think park goers come for the traffic and pollution on Chesterfield Avenue and the rat runs through the back roads or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

caff wrote: »
    Currently there is a car ban. It is noticeably more popular

No one is working. They have nothing else to do. Every park is more popular, even the ones with no roads. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ban them from the city centre and the quays then no one has reason to go through the park in the first place.

Peregrine wrote: »
    Argue it so.

How exactly would stopping cars from driving through a park on their way to somewhere else make the park noticeably less popular?

Do you think park goers come for the traffic and pollution on Chesterfield Avenue and the rat runs through the back roads or something?

Most people going to the park drive to it. A lot on their way to and from somewhere. Like on the way home from work.

They closed it before and it was noticeable quieter.

i'm not in the park nearly as much as i used to be, and i do remember the damage the buses were doing to the surface before the big job a few years back - what sort of damage are they doing now?...

Chesterfield Ave had no foundations. That's why it kept falling apart.

They dug it and an rebuilt a few year back. Road was closed for a long time.

donvito99 wrote: »
    Why not just bring the 37 and possibly another route (the 38s?) into the park via the Zoo and the northern perimeter (which would capture a good deal of Ashtown)?

Why would you want to capture Ashtown when its already beside the train, Luas, and loads of buses?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Why do people "need" to be encouraged to get there. Can people not decide where to go themselves instead of being dictated to.

beauf wrote: »
    Chesterfield Ave had no foundations. That's why it kept falling apart.

They dug it and an rebuilt a few year back. Road was closed for a long time.
    That's my question - how is it coping with the buses since the big job?

Why would you want to capture Ashtown when its already beside the train, Luas, and loads of buses?

The Blackhorse Avenue side of Ashtown, which is no where near the train. If you were to divert the 37, you'd be taking frequency from Navan Rd, so why not run it along North Rd in the park and offer another option for people who live just outside the walls?

The Blackhorse Avenue side of Ashtown, which is no where near the train. If you were to divert the 37, you'd be taking frequency from Navan Rd, so why not run it along North Rd in the park and offer another option for people who live just outside the walls?

If it's no distance from ashtown to the park. Then its even less distance from ashtown or black horse ave to the navan road. Where there's already lots of buses. The 37 already runs down there too.

While I always like the idea of bus inside the park. The reality is at the Castleknock end there's isn't a lot of people close enough to easily walk it.

The bulk of drivers though the park are from all of D15 and out into Meath who have no means of getting to park to get this bus without driving.

They'd be better going to a train station. Which is has no more capacity..

While I always like the idea of bus inside the park. The reality is at the Castleknock end there's isn't a lot of people close enough to easily walk it.

The 37 runs right through the middle of Castleknock.
    The bulk of drivers though the park are from all of D15 and out into Meath who have no means of getting to park to get this bus without driving.

They can drive down the Navan Rd.
    They'd be better going to a train station. Which is has no more capacity..

I don't think anyone has suggested putting people driving from Meath on a bus route through the Phoenix Park, this all started with the idea of an underground for people going to the zoo.

• Advertisement

The 37 runs right through the middle of Castleknock.

They can drive down the Navan Rd.

I ...

If you are already on the 37 there is zero point getting off it.

They can drive to the park but have no where to park when they get there...

Advertisement