Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

Andrade appeared in a video at last night's AAA show and challenged Kenny Omega for the AAA Mega title at Triplemania.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,362 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

MLW announced a championship committee with Dragon Gate & Rev Pro and a number of others to join including one more major company to be announced shorty.

There new season kicks off in July and that is when this Championship Committee will start to come into play.
    MLW.com can confirm the committee will be composed of promoters from around the world, including Mr. Toru Kido from Japan’s DragonGate as well as Andy Quildan of Revolution Pro in the United Kingdom.

https://mlw.com/2021/04/29/championship-committee-takes-shape/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Andrade/Omega could be huge for AAA, Rey De Reyes was a pretty good show, Purrazzo showed up and challenged Faby Apache to a title vs title match too.

I haven't been this excited for wrestling in 20 years and not one bit of it involves the WWE.

Deonna Purrazzo also turned up on that show to challenge for a title vs title match at TripleMania

https://twitter.com/luchalibreaaa/status/1388669859303669765?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 28,854 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

What are the chances of getting a Supercard show with multiple companies involved?

• Advertisement

Should Omega start losing belts quickly now that the belt collector gimmick is starting to get going.

I think he needs to add a Japanese belt first and hold them for all for at least 6 months and then start to lose them one by one in 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭kksaints

Should Omega start losing belts quickly now that the belt collector gimmick is starting to get going.

I think he needs to add a Japanese belt first and hold them for all for at least 6 months and then start to lose them one by one in 2022.

Interesting one. There's the possibility of him getting over exposed if he holds too many belts at once and is on too many shows at once. Would agree that winning a Japanese belt before he starts losing them would be a good idea. Maybe after that he should lose one of them (preferably the Impact one) in a shock loss or a multi-man match that protects him so that he's not over exposed on the two weekly US shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭ThePott

I do wonder though how many promotions would be happy to lose their title for half a year. He can't be everywhere. Interested to see where it goes but I don't think he'll hold all the titles for a long stint necessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

ThePott wrote: »
    I do wonder though how many promotions would be happy to lose their title for half a year. He can't be everywhere. Interested to see where it goes but I don't think he'll hold all the titles for a long stint necessarily.

Companies all over the world coughing up their world titles for 6+ months so Omega can be a budget Lesnar and be a worldwide part-timer who pops by once a month.

Pure fantasy.

If it puts eyes on there product and increases buy rates for there PPV's I think they will be very happy with that happening that is exactly what you hope the person wearing the title belt will do.

• Advertisement

If it puts eyes on there product and increases buy rates for there PPV's I think they will be very happy with that happening that is exactly what you hope the person wearing the title belt will do.
    I understand that part but when he has multiple belts people will pick and choose I'd imagine. They might watch him on Impact or AEW and then say maybe not AAA, etc. The other point I'm making is that Omega is one guy, he can't be in every promotion non-stop.

Every promotion is going to want the big momentwith Omega that will change everything but you also have to imagine that AEW won't want him to drop the belts until they are ready. Adding to that I'm sure AEW don't want him wrestling everywhere to avoid the possibility of injury, that only becomes more likely if he has to be in multiple promotions.

Again I think it's a cool idea and the cross-over is interesting but I think there will be problems and I don't think he's gonna get a long reign with every title necessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

If you look towards wrestlings past many wrestling promoters were so paranoid about their heavyweight champion packing bags and going to another territory, that the promoter (who was often a wrestler) would keep it on himself. Looking at you Jerry Lawler! Of course that was back in the day when it was all handshake agreements.

Am sure any deal with omega winning the belt is going to be in ink today. What would that deal be tho? omega will agree to work three dates or something? He has a share in AEW so that's always going to come first. What if say, omega wins the Roh title (only an example) and Roh wants Omega to drop the title back at their big December show. Problem is AEW is running a show the same night. Suddenly Roh gets the belt back on a b-show in January etc.

We all know Omega will have to drop the titles. But will AEW be happy if Omega goes on a loosing streak forfilling commitments? Lot of variables here as everyone wants to shine in a good light.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I dare say most if not all of this has already had pen put to paper to make it work with dates and events for how and when Kenny drops what he's already picked up. The one thing AEW's management (which Kenny is a part of) has shown is that they think in terms of weeks, months and years about their storylines. I think the short-sighted and ham-fisted nonsense that WWE has been doing as the norm for the last few years has coloured so much thinking about how wrestling promotions go about their business that we forget some of the people running these promotions have brains :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I get what you are saying shiminay.
    But as they say in wrestling "card subject to change"

• Registered Users Posts: 85,342 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Didn't Christian challenge Kenny for the AEW one, when is that happening?

Look I give them the benefit of the doubt and this is exciting stuff but even the logistics make it hard to imagine it all going perfectly to plan.
    How long can Kenny feasibly hold the Impact title for? Presumably if he was going for the NJPW title they'd hope for it to be at the Tokyo Dome on January 4th. We don't have a clear idea when Triplemania will be this year. That's all assuming Khan and Omega coming in with their idea isn't going to mess up those promotion's booking plans too. Even the telling the story of each feud will be tricky with all the promotions involved. Along with taking quarantine or any other possible travel restirctions in place at the moment into account.

Again I'm not saying I don't like the angle but I think him holding EVERY belt for 6 months just isn't likely or feasible.

Look I give them the benefit of the doubt and this is exciting stuff but even the logistics make it hard to imagine it all going perfectly to plan.
    How long can Kenny feasibly hold the Impact title for? Presumably if he was going for the NJPW title they'd hope for it to be at the Tokyo Dome on January 4th. We don't have a clear idea when Triplemania will be this year. That's all assuming Khan and Omega coming in with their idea isn't going to mess up those promotion's booking plans too. Even the telling the story of each feud will be tricky with all the promotions involved. Along with taking quarantine or any other possible travel restirctions in place at the moment into account.

Again I'm not saying I don't like the angle but I think him holding EVERY belt for 6 months just isn't likely or feasible.

Callis and D'Amore are the two head guys at Impact and are fully involved in this decision.

Callis and D'Amore are the two head guys at Impact and are fully involved in this decision.
    I never said they weren't and I'm sure they love the exposure now but when we're months into this thing and they're caught in the middle waiting for AEW to wrap up their belt collector storyline will they still be happy when their top title isn't getting the airtime on Impact as often as it should.

Again maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but I don wonder how this can work long term.

I never said they weren't and I'm sure they love the exposure now but when we're months into this thing and they're caught in the middle waiting for AEW to wrap up their belt collector storyline will they still be happy when their top title isn't getting the airtime on Impact as often as it should.

Again maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but I don wonder how this can work long term.

Yet Impact is getting Omega appear on there show regularly and a NJPW team are there tag Champions and their Women’s champion just challenged AAA women’s champion to a title be title match.

Impact is now more relevant to the wrestling world than it has been in a decade thanks to all of this.

Never argued there was no benefit to Impact. Right now especially.
    Again what I said was... LONG TERM.

Are people still going to tune into Impact when Omega is trying to capture a title elsewhere and he's only doing pre-taped bits as Champion for weeks on end? Obviously some of the onus is on Impact to make the rest of the roster stand out but without a major title it makes it that bit harder. Even more so when you can't build a main title feud as you normally would without the champion always being present. Their biggest benefit is the fact they are taped in this regard.

I'm not one of those people who sees no benefit to Impact, there's a massive amount for them to gain (they already are benefitting from this) I am wondering though how long that can last for when the belt collector storyline focuses more on other promotions. I just think there's room for error and that the shine on this whole angle will fade as time goes on.

• Advertisement

Yea, this is it, will the gains pay off and will people keep watching when Kenny's moved on? There are some good performers on Impact, they work hard for their audience, I hope they get the permanent numbers bump they're hoping for - there's room for everyone, that seems to be the attitude of the management teams involved and I find it hard to disagree.

Well of course it's wrestling and it will all end in tears at some stage and Vince McMahon will buy the video library for peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Impact was having quite a solid run at the start of 2020 which lasted until around the end of the Summer, then because of character changes and people leaving it went into a bit of a lull in Autumn and Winter. It's been gaining steam again since the talent sharing began.

Impact have a roster currently that could put on a pretty solid to strong card and that's without factoring in Omega. Long story short yes I believe they can keep SOME eyes on the product once Kenny isn't involved, but that's up to Impact and what kind of show they want to focus on. It's in their hands.

When Omega's run as the belt collector is up you would hope the idea is Jay White would go to Mexico for 6 months, The Andrade would go to Tennessee for 6 months while Moose would go to Jacksonville for 6 months and MJF would go to Tokyo for 6 months etc

Wrestlers picked at random but you get the idea bring back the territories system on a real international level.

I will say Impact had my attention more in recent times even before Omega appeared. From 2020 on, not saying that I watch weekly but the PPVs are decent. There's some good talent there even though at times some of the matches are duds.

As much as the talent sharing works at times it's still a tricky one to nail. Case in point, Swann was never on Dynamite to build that angle (I know, it's Impact's PPV yada yada) and when they tried to put Sammy on Impact it also got nixed because of booking issues. Kenta was around just long enough for the US title match to happen and then gone again. For all this crossover stuff I just think we need some consistency for it to really work.

It's the difference between a cameo and a supporting role in a movie. A real crossover angle would be where the fun is but at times at least the closer you look the more disconnected it all looks. Again, I admit that it's early days yet.

I will say Impact had my attention more in recent times even before Omega appeared. From 2020 on, not saying that I watch weekly but the PPVs are decent. There's some good talent there even though at times some of the matches are duds.

As much as the talent sharing works at times it's still a tricky one to nail. Case in point, Swann was never on Dynamite to build that angle (I know, it's Impact's PPV yada yada) and when they tried to put Sammy on Impact it also got nixed because of booking issues. Kenta was around just long enough for the US title match to happen and then gone again. For all this crossover stuff I just think we need some consistency for it to really work.

It's the difference between a cameo and a supporting role in a movie. A real crossover angle would be where the fun is but at times at least the closer you look the more disconnected it all looks. Again, I admit that it's early days yet.

Booking issues is being kind to Sammy, more him having ideas about himself. Hopefully Jericho went through him for his attitude there.

I didn't hear any of that, was it some sort of ego mad nonsense?

Shiminay wrote: »
    I didn't hear any of that, was it some sort of ego mad nonsense?

I'm ad libbing here but the story goes that he basically wanted to turn up and win the X Division Title, go missing, and then never drop it to someone and instead lose it in a screwy way. Impact told him to **** off and he ended up going back home before even he even left the airport.

yikes! Yea, you're nowhere near that Sammy you fupping eejit :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Who does he think he is, Tessa Blanchard? :pac:

Advertisement