Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wimbledon 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Bottom line is that he has consistently brought the sport into disrepute, and for that he needs to be punished, and to try and justify this or encourage it is what is wrong with the world of sport today. It's the erosion of standards and the encouragement of bad manners that has ruined so much sport.

Every country and every sport has it, unfortunately.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Right can we get back to Wimbledon and forget Nick. He's gone.

Wozniacki gone and unless Big Kev starts using ground strokes and stops relying on an ailing service this is game over for him too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Love Hsieh, so much fun to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Anderson in trouble now. 2 sets down. Am looking forward to the Halep/Azarenka match, hopefully mama Vika wins. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Floppybits wrote: »
    Anderson in trouble now. 2 sets down. Am looking forward to the Halep/Azarenka match, hopefully mama Vika wins. :)

Same. Vika needs a big scalp at the slams, it's been a while.

• Advertisement

You forgot kokkinakis banged your girl.

that was 4 years ago when he was still 19

I was replying to the remark about THE PODCAST

he actually spoke about that and he is fine with Stan the man now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Credit where it's due, I thought Nadal actually played really well. I tipped Kyrgios before the match as I assumed he would show up for this match, and he did. However, I had not factored that Nadal would play so well, as usually he is susceptible in the first week against big hitters. His draw has sort of opened-up and, if he negotiates Tsonga (not a given at all), he is on a collision course with Fed. Given the way Fed is playing, I could only see one winner there. Still a long way to go.

Yeah I was cheering for Nick throughout, but wasn't disappointed to see Nadal ultimately win it tbh

Definitely the best I've seen him play on early grass for a while. He served brilliantly and his forehand was on fire. Kept his composure so well throughout also against someone who's serve was on fire. Very hard to stay strong on your own deal in that scenario

Nick put in a good shift, but he's just way too poor on return and was gassing badly in the 4th set breaker. The tournament is much better for Nadal going through, by set 4 Nick was only hanging in there down to serve alone

A few years ago the Tsonga game would be very intriguing but I'd fancy Rafa comfortably enough

glasso wrote: »
    that was 4 years ago when he was still 19

I was replying to the remark about THE PODCAST

he actually spoke about that and he is fine with Stan the man now

Means **** all the man's a scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,338 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Lads those who are more clued in to tennis all year round or maybe it was said, but I noticed last night watching today at Wimbledon and the grass on No1court looks like awful. Big lines down it. Have they said anything ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Spanish housemate of mine, who was a regional standard tennis player in Spain and a tennis coach for awhile gives Nadal little chance against Tsonga.

What a massive call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Lads those who are more clued in to tennis all year round or maybe it was said, but I noticed last night watching today at Wimbledon and the grass on No1court looks like awful. Big lines down it. Have they said anything ?

I noticed that on number 1 court. Looks like it hasnt been watered. Worst I've ever seen the court looking. Not mentioned in any of the commentary.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Spanish housemate of mine, who was a regional standard tennis player in Spain and a tennis coach for awhile gives Nadal little chance against Tsonga.

What a massive call.

Not really it's grass and JWT is playing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Chivito550 wrote: »

What a massive call.

I can't see Tsonga ever winning big.

I love an underdog story as much as the next person, but was it really an advisable move to schedule the 15 year old Gauff for centre court?

Can't recall two unseeded players getting star billing on the showpiece court at all tbh

At least the crowd get to see Murray and Serena after I guess so they'll get some money's worth

Oh God, Djokovic is still doing that celebration thing after matches

CRIIINGE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

forumdedum wrote: »
    I can't see Tsonga ever winning big.

Courts are very slow this year so Nadal getting ambushed by a powerful hitter seems very unlikely. Nadal should be fine.

Tsonga will have his moments but I can't see him red-lining it for 3 sets against Nadal even if he was still in his prime - never mind at this stage of his career

He doesn't return well enough or serve well consistently enough to beat Nadal imo

But who knows - grass may be his best bet in fairness

Centre Court looks pitifully slow this year

To be fair to Hercog she's playing some great attacking tennis, there's no way Gauff should be able to get some of these balls back on a grass court

I don't think Henman was at all convincing when he tried to claim there was no conscious effort to slow them this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Admire Gauff's spirit I have to say. Not sure she'll win this but incredible confidence for a 15 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Whatever silly messing about with the racquets the Slovenian was at really knocked her off her game.
    What was she doing?!?

• Advertisement

What a fight back by Gauff here, c'mon complete it

They both look very tense now.

PressRun wrote: »
    They both look very tense now.

Careless from both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Gauff Hercog match is gripping!
    I still think Hercog will edge this set but still amazing effort

Neither player really able to take this by the scruff of the neck

Crazy call by Hercog there

Kyrgios lost the head on his doubles game hahaha ****ed this set away it seems

Some nice choking this from Hercog. Fun but damn the quality is low last few games, both ladies terrified of losing.

Well its definitely gotten intriguing in fairness

Quality is almost non-existent but its gripping - I'll give it that!

Why won't Hercog hit a backhand?

Phew, some set

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

She's a great girl crowd full of shi7e though.

Blooming heck that was excellent!
    Hercog looking trainer?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thought she was a gonner

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Some nice choking this from Hercog. Fun but damn the quality is low last few games, both ladies terrified of losing.

Extended rallies look great to the casual observers though - even though its now just a complete push-fest by both

Can only see the courts getting slower anymore tbh

Kyrgios said to the crowd I'm gonna serve all seconds and see can I win them hahahaha WTF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

She's a great girl crowd full of shi7e though.
    They do tend to go OTT when they adopt a favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

We’re going the distance!

jr86 wrote: »
    Extended rallies look great to the casual observers though - even though its now just a complete push-fest by both

Can only see the courts getting slower anymore tbh
    It was a bit of a slog alright but gripping all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Tsonga will have his moments but I can't see him red-lining it for 3 sets against Nadal even if he was still in his prime - never mind at this stage of his career

He doesn't return well enough or serve well consistently enough to beat Nadal imo

But who knows - grass may be his best bet in fairness

I never rated Tsonga in top tier. Semi finalist mostly I think and usually outclassed there.

Kyrgios lost the head on his doubles game hahaha ****ed this set away it seems

Why what did he do?

Haven't seen anything online tbh

is_that_so wrote: »
    They do tend to go OTT when they adopt a favourite.

With the Pimms flowing they'll always get a bit more excited, but they're angels compared to other slam crowds - bar Australian maybe which are harmless enough

• Advertisement

Well its definitely gotten intriguing in fairness

Quality is almost non-existent but its gripping - I'll give it that!

Why won't Hercog hit a backhand?

Her head is fried. She was actually pretty clutch until she served for the match but since then has resorted to mainly pushing hoping Gauff will lose the game for her.

Why what did he do?

Haven't seen anything online tbh

I'm watching live said I'm gonna serve second serves and see can I win them

I'm watching live said I'm gonna serve second serves and see can I win them

Oh right, when you said losing the head I thought he's had a go at the umpire/crowd/opponent or something.

Oh right, when you said losing the head I thought he's had a go at the umpire/crowd/opponent or something.

Naw just his usual fixing carry on

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Her head is fried. She was actually pretty clutch until she served for the match but since then has resorted to mainly pushing hoping Gauff will lose the game for her.

I hate labouring the point but on a fast court she would have this sewn up ages ago. As you say she was clutch and playing some great attacking tennis earlier

Its hard to blame her changing it up though given she hit some great would-be winners that had no right to come back at her on this surface.

Naw just his usual fixing carry on

Well I've no idea of the context but I'd assume his first serve was off and he was winning points off second serve, so thought he'd make an absolutely hilarious joke to the crowd to reflect this

Well I've no idea of the context but I'd assume his first serve was off and he was winning points off second serve, so thought he'd make an absolutely hilarious joke to the crowd to reflect this

Naw you need to watch it haha

You're grand I'm well Kyrgios-ed out for another year

Serena and Andy put back to tomorrow

Wouldn't surprise me at all if they shelved it at this stage. Gonna be a right pain in the ass for both to play two matches tomorrow

is the Hercog one just wearing that "sleeve" to cover up a big tattoo?

• Advertisement
Advertisement