Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Movies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I absolutely love Christmas vacation. When he staples his sleeve to the gutter putting the decorations has me in fits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Watched Muppets Christmas Carol last night, an oldie but a classic.

And here's the Deleted scenes from the original and best HOME ALONE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AssqRiq8mbg

Watched Polar Express last night. Great Christmas movie. Listened out for the soundtrack @DvB and you’re right, is top notch.

Post edited by TRS30 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Was out walking during the week one evening and had it playing, magical.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Watching it right now

I rewatched Home Alone 3. It's quite good really. The kid is decent and the traps are as good as anything in the first movies.

The kid in the latest one is really annoying. Pity as the cast in general is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Just saw the PC-friendly version of Cast Away. a good number of scenes have been cut, most notably the bit where Chuck/Hanks does his own dental work while in the cave. Not exactly a Christmas movie but it's always been on at Christmas time for the last few years. Going to watch Die Hard this evening. Christmas started today for me...

Dan.

Watching Arthur Christmas.

Great film.

• Advertisement

Watched Paddington 2 with kids yesterday. Seen it lots of time but they love it.

Couple of late entries for me:

The Noel Diary; Not my type of movie but I enjoyed it.

Violent Night: Not bad but not great. I think it is a comedy, but doesn't have a lot of humour beyond the premise of the world weary Santa caught in kidnapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,435 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I am trying to watch youtubes "Destined at Christmas" (if that is the actual name, idk)

Looks cute but too many scene inconsistencies are getting in the way of my enjoyment :/

...and that cheap plastic bow has made it's appearance once again - you know the one...

We have one of those in silver, is packed away now or would take a picture.

Not a Christmas movie however National Lampoons European Vacation was on last night. Recorded it to hopefully watch at some stage. Clarke will always remind me of Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,435 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

ah yes... but do you have one on every wall and door in the entire neighbourhood, shops and office? :D They do go a bit overboard sticking that same bow everywhere.

Just the one I'm afraid so not very Hallmark 😂

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Aah, next you'll tell us that you're not a Christmas tree farmer, that you don't live in a cabin in a town called Snow Falls, that you didn't meet your Christmas hating high-flying executive wife on December 22nd and that you hadn't proposed and fallen in love by Christmas day, by which time she had learned to embrace the holiday spirit. 🙄

Good work. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I proper laughed out loud at that. Well played.

Saw this article this afternoon.

A study of 2,000 adults who watch festive films revealed what titles they go back to each year, with the top 40 lost including Elf, Die Hard, Miracle On 34th Street and many more.

A spokesperson said: “Christmas films bring people together and create a thrill of excitement ahead of the big day and rewatching favourites has clearly become a tradition for many who can quote what’s coming next.

“It’s great to see how much people love Christmas films, “there is something warming and nostalgic about watching festive movies as the nights draw in and decorations are up.

“But films are made for the big screen and it’s great to see Love Actually is the number one British film viewers re-watch.”

Most re-watched Christmas films:

1. Home Alone
    2. The Snowman
    3. Love Actually
    4. Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
    5. Elf
    6. Die Hard (even though its accepted as not being a Christmas movie)
    7. A Christmas Carol
    8. The Nightmare Before Christmas
    9. Miracle on 34th Street
    10. It’s a Wonderful Life
    11. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone
    12. Gremlins
    13. The Polar Express
    14. The Muppet Christmas Carol
    15. White Christmas
    16. The Holiday
    17. The Grinch (2018)
    18. How The Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)
    19. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
    20. The Santa Clause
    21. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation
    22. Scrooged
    23. Lethal Weapon
    24. Trading Places
    25. Jingle All The Way
    26. Nativity
    27. Arthur Christmas
    28. Bad Santa
    29. Jack Frost
    30. Deck the Halls
    31. Christmas with the Kranks
    32. Last Christmas
    33. A Christmas Story
    34. Fred Claus
    35. Meet Me in St Louis
    36. The Christmas Chronicles
    37. Mickey’s Christmas Carol
    38. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
    39. Four Christmases
    40. A Charlie Brown Christmas

So do you agree that these are the top most re-watched Christmas films? The poll which was done via OnePoll also found that the festive season sees people watch seven Christmas films, with December 24th the most popular day to do so (63 per cent).

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I am surprised Home Alone is no 1. I don't really get the popularity of that film myself. I have seen it and its just not my thing. A Christmas Carol, no 7, yes, and I am surprised that A Charly Brown Christmas was not further up the list. Love actually is a nice film but the 2 characters of John and Judy nearly spoiled it.

Dan.

I'm just not mad about Love Actually at all, to be honest.

I will rewatch Die Hard and Elf every year and Home Alone 1 and 2, The Santa Clause, Fred Claus and It's a Wonderful Life every couple of years.

I only actually watched The Grinch (Jim Carrey) for the first time the Christmas just gone. 😳

I love Trading Places but I've never classed it as a specifically festive film, so I'd watch that any time because it's just so good!!

It's funny but when I think about it the movies I most associate with Christmas growing up in 80s were Willy Wonka and The Wizard of Oz. I think they were always on each year.

I haven't watched either in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭A cup of te

I have to say the first 4 films on the list are the only ones I really know. I have seen Die Hard and Lethal Weapon but I'm not into those. I love the first 4. I'd put The Snowman number one and then Home Alone, then Home Alone 2 and then Love Actually.

Plenty on the list I have in my Christmas collection and get watched if not every year every two years. Loads more that I wouldn't though and that I doubt will ever watch again.

I have a few that aren't even on the list too that would be watched most years. Klaus & The Family Man being 2 that spring to mind.

Every year we would watch A Christmas Carol, Trading Places, Home Alone 1 & 2, Christmas Vacation, Elf, Polar Express and then mic and match the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

How the hell did I miss Violent night in 2022, I just watched the trailer and it looks watchable.

Advertisement