Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Assistant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭comete

mcgovern wrote: »
    I just got some Teckin SP23s and would like to get them working in Home Assistant but seems it's a bit more complicated than I hoped.
    Can I use the Raspberry Pi I have running Hass.io to flash them? And after they are flashed can I still use them in Alexa or only in Home Assistant?
    And finally I need something like this to calibrate them afterwards?

Depends how you want them to be integrated. If you're opposed to flashing them with custom firmware you could just use them via the tuya component.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Folks, I got 2 * smart bulbs and was trying the OTA re-flashing of either tasmota or espurna. I followed this walkthrough: https://github.com/ct-Open-Source/tuya-convert, and I've managed (late last night!) to get to part 3: Initial Configuration (one bulb now has tasmota & the other espurna).

On the tasmota I get the webpage 192.168.4.1 & the wifi login credentials, I presume I enter the wifi credentials I want it to connect to ?!

And once I have that going I presume I can then control it via HA ?
    Has anyone tried this ? any yaml examples? Which is preferrable, tasmota or espurna ?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

I haven't used any smart bulbs but I have a good few tasmota Sonoff's working in HASSIO.

Once you've set it up on the correct wifi network you'll need to browse to it on it's new ip address and point it to your MQTT broker, most likely this will be the address of your home assistant.

Although I use yaml, I think this can be avoided using the new integrations option. This video explains it well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2mlTrUVyHM&t=475s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Cheers, my HA is at least 12 months old, ie. I was tinkering around with it back then & then other matters took over, ahem. Anyway I'm back tinkering again. Like you I'm only used to doing YAML tinkering, I'm guessing to get the 'integrations' I'll have to update or start afresh, eg. I don't have the HASS.io link in the sidebar!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

has anyone integrated HA with Climote?
    i couldn't find the integration. so trying to integrate via Alexa.
    Alexa has climote skill.
    trying to send a trigger message from HA to Alexa.
    https://github.com/custom-components/alexa_media_player/wiki#triggering-a-skill-versions--270

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

has anyone integrated HA with Climote?
    i couldn't find the integration. so trying to integrate via Alexa.
    Alexa has climote skill.
    trying to send a trigger message from HA to Alexa.
    https://github.com/custom-components/alexa_media_player/wiki#triggering-a-skill-versions--270

Moved into a new build house with Climote, was told while it is compatible with Alexa, it isn't with Google home :(

Moved into a new build house with Climote, was told while it is compatible with Alexa, it isn't with Google home :(

it works well with Alexa though.
    just want to automate based on room temperature in HA.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭meathenterpr

Started playing around with it
    At the moment have
    Smartthings
    Virgin Media Broadband
    TV
    HomeSecure alarm.
    As it is a AJAX system got the custom component from here.

https://github.com/eavanvalkenburg/sia

If you are going to use it you will need to convert your account to hex.
    Just google ascii to hex

Started playing around with it
    At the moment have

Virgin Media Broadband

what integration did you do with virgin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Hi,

I dont know if Im posting in the right thread so please direct me if I'm not as my question relates to Home Assistant and Raspberry Pi and I can't find any threads where this is currently topical and I would have thought that it is.

I want to enter the world of Home Assistant. I have a Pi but haven't used it in a few years. First i need to upgrade the o/s on the Pi. It currently has Jessie O/S on it. I want to upgrade to the latest Raspberry O/S and install it on the Pi and I don't know how to do that.

I believe that the best way would be to do a clean install of the o/s and I can do that by d/l it onto a sd card but how do I get that onto the Pi. How do I delete the o/s that is currently on it or how do I upgrade it.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

iba wrote: »
    Hi,

I dont know if Im posting in the right thread so please direct me if I'm not as my question relates to Home Assistant and Raspberry Pi and I can't find any threads where this is currently topical and I would have thought that it is.

I want to enter the world of Home Assistant. I have a Pi but haven't used it in a few years. First i need to upgrade the o/s on the Pi. It currently has Jessie O/S on it. I want to upgrade to the latest Raspberry O/S and install it on the Pi and I don't know how to do that.

I believe that the best way would be to do a clean install of the o/s and I can do that by d/l it onto a sd card but how do I get that onto the Pi. How do I delete the o/s that is currently on it or how do I upgrade it.

Thanks

On phone so can't link but home assistant have their own OS that installs everything you need. There are good instructions on their site about how to get up and running

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭emaherx

iba wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

https://www.home-assistant.io/getting-started/

Just download the version for your Pi and balenaetcher or what ever image software you'd prefer.

You install the balenaetcher on a pc with sd card slot and point it towards the image file. Then pop the imaged sd card in the pi to complete Install. There is no need for any other OS and the card will be overwritten as part of the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Look for the noobs image, you download it and copy it to an SD then boot this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Abov anybody on this thread got one of these? Would love to hear that people think.

https://www.home-assistant.io/blue/

I currently run my HA on RPi2. Hardware looks decent also,

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fran426ft

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Abov anybody on this thread got one of these? Would love to hear that people think.

Isn't that just an Odroid N2+ in a custom case with Home Assistant pre installed? I've not done much looking at it but when I first saw it my thought was I didn't see the value in paying for it over buying hardware and installing yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

BobbyT28 wrote: »

Saw Drzzzsss on YouTube talk about this. I could be wrong, but I think you need to buy an extra HD too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

When I outgrew the Raspberry Pi I bought an Intel NUC. Have docker on it now and can use it for all sorts of other things as well as running HA.

You'd get a second hand NUC with HD, wifi and ethernet already installed for not much more money and in my opinion it would be a lot more versatile and more powerful. The downside is that it will use slightly more electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

When I outgrew the Raspberry Pi I bought an Intel NUC. Have docker on it now and can use it for all sorts of other things as well as running HA.

You'd get a second hand NUC with HD, wifi and ethernet already installed for not much more money and in my opinion it would be a lot more versatile and more powerful. The downside is that it will use slightly more electricity.

I updated to the NUC last year too and it makes a big difference for response times for the UI and some automations. Plus means you can take full advantage of things like grafana to have long term trends in the house.

i have a rpi4. bought a wyse box (3320) off adverts only to be told that it will be slower than my rpi4.
    my rpi4 with ssd is better now than it was with sd card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

matrim wrote: »
    I updated to the NUC last year too and it makes a big difference for response times for the UI and some automations. Plus means you can take full advantage of things like grafana to have long term trends in the house.

I love Grafana!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Can you use this app direct from your iphone or windows laptop? From my quick reading it seems i need a raspberry pi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

It's much more than just an app.
    There's an app you can run on your phone to talk to your Home Assistant once you have it installed.

A raspberry pi is one option - cheap and doesn't eat electricity when it's always on.

You can run Home Assistant on your laptop in a virtual machine, but it won't be great if you ever take the laptop away or turn it off!

What do you think you might do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

niallb wrote: »
    It's much more than just an app.

What do you think you might do with it?

I've no idea to be honest, i'm just starting to get into smart devices now and just assumed this could be ran from your phone. Sounds like it's a bit more complicated :)

in simple words, HA server is needed (its more than a server though).
    so it can be your pi or laptop or old machine

Home Assistant creates a smarthome hub.
    It's able to talk to lots of different brands and make them interact with each other.
    It's not brilliant as a first introduction to smarthome stuff - people usually find it when they can't get the off-the-shelf devices they have to do something a little outside the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rkdub

Home Assistant creates a smarthome hub.
    It's able to talk to lots of different brands and make them interact with each other.
    It's not brilliant as a first introduction to smarthome stuff - people usually find it when they can't get the off-the-shelf devices they have to do something a little outside the box.

well... maybe before long it will become an off the shelf product - see the limited run: https://www.home-assistant.io/blue

rkdub wrote: »
    well... maybe before long it will become an off the shelf product - see the limited run: https://www.home-assistant.io/blue

I don't think that'll happen just yet - it's more of a fundraising drive than anything else. They look good though!

By the way, update your home assistants as soon as possible.
    There's a security issue just announced. Only affects a small set of users, but worth bringing it up to date.

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

By the way, update your home assistants as soon as possible.
    There's a security issue just announced. Only affects a small set of users, but worth bringing it up to date.

Relevant info: https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2021/01/14/security-bulletin/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 acork

I found NUCs expensive and got an Asus PN50 instead. Cost me ca. 300 euro as I had RAM sticks lying around.

Runs NextCloud, Home Assistant, lots of Docker containers and Netflix on a 4K TV.

I will never buy a tower PC again - this mini PC fits on your palm and uses 10-15W max.

Advertisement