Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your art/craftwork - show it here!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Wolff wrote: »
    And one more of the Skelligs - which are a great subject to paint

a639fad2fae5aef31689e5aa22e4084f.jpg

Great work. Calming and dramatic at the same time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Wolff

Thanks for all the kind words and enthusiasm - will crack on now with improving

2 final ones for your consideration - again the sea or coastline

Has anyone any tips on selling paintings - have a few to shift now before the wife starts divorce proceedings !

The Coast of Kerry (Based on a John Skelton Picture)

d4ae61a668d9c7af6f9f373a0c9a0d96.jpg

Spanish Point - a friend wanted a painting based on one of his photographs

f8b0623331f12aef267154a76e0b750c.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I sell everything I paint, but then they are all commissions, which is grand though I seldom get to paint anything for me nowadays.
    But The Peoples Art, around Stephens Green, is well worth doing.
    It's cheap and happens a number of times a year, over the summer, into the Autumn and at Christmas.
    It's a lucky draw to see where you get on the railings but well worth it for the chance to hang your pictures out there and sell something as well as connect with amateur and professional artists, swapping experiences, tips and horror stories.
    http://peoplesart.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Simms

Great stuff. Are you familiar with a guy called Donald Teskey? You work reminds me a little of his. He did a series of seascapes of the west coast. You can check it out on the So Gallery website. The Fractured Shoreline series is superb. Pricey though.

In case you're wondering, I have no connection with said gallery.

@Simms - no havent come across him before - will check out the pictures on the site - Sure to be some good inspiration there !

CiDermAn do you mount your own work or have them framed professionally - the frames are lovely

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Wolff wrote: »
    CiDermAn do you mount your own work or have them framed professionally - the frames are lovely

I'm embarrassed to say that they are simply IKEA Ribba frames.
    I paint, typically, on canvas boards and they slot nicely into those frames, as they are designed to take posters and photos mostly.

For the square canvas, I found I had a series of them from all sorts of places and the expense of having frames made up prevented me from using them.
    Then I realised I could have a go at floating one on a standard, once again IKEA Ribba, square frame and it worked out really well.
    I used small screws through the rear board into the frame of the canvas itself.
    Worked out very well, so I will be painting on those more often.

825a1898c048d432afe48a03dccb2aa3.jpg

71813f70c8c68f70eb1b1b2fbdb184b0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Very nice. I like the wildness/rawness of it. I can feel the spray off those waves. Love it.

So, I've a painting just completed, based on a photo by Billy Scurry, of a neighbourhood meetup during the Covid Crisis.

7uNPxNQl.jpg

514034.jpg

514035.JPG

Those are spectacular!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Thats seriously good work guys.

You caught a great atmosphere with that Ciderman! Thats surely worth a few bob!!

• Advertisement

Thats seriously good work guys.

You caught a great atmosphere with that Ciderman! Thats surely worth a few bob!!

Unfortunately, the painting was snatched up by a family member, never to be seen again...
    Bugger....

Tried to make a Japanese Lantern from Das Air Dry Clay. Added some solar lights. It ended up way darker than I wanted plus somehow it ended up all Alieny! I used sticks, plastics, lumps of rock to make the basic shape and covered it with Das Clay and then some small detail. I used a floor tile for the base. The whole thing is covered in Yacht varnish to seal it as it is for outdoors. The seal broke around the base and the clay has started to go soft. :(

518351.jpg

518352.jpg

518353.jpg

Pretty mad but I love the imagination.

beauf wrote: »
    Pretty mad but I love the imagination.

This was the inspiration but I kinda got lost along the way! :p

518363.jpg

You were definitely getting there...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Tried to make a Japanese Lantern from Das Air Dry Clay. Added some solar lights. It ended up way darker than I wanted plus somehow it ended up all Alieny! I used sticks, plastics, lumps of rock to make the basic shape and covered it with Das Clay and then some small detail. I used a floor tile for the base. The whole thing is covered in Yacht varnish to seal it as it is for outdoors. The seal broke around the base and the clay has started to go soft. :(

518351.jpg

518352.jpg

518353.jpg

I love this! :) Well done, it’s fab, would love it myself! :D
    Is that clay readily available and how much?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, I've a painting just completed, based on a photo by Billy Scurry, of a neighbourhood meetup during the Covid Crisis.

7uNPxNQl.jpg

I love the look of this, it’s gorgeous! Your painting style is really cool and effortless looking :)

What medium did you use?

twirlagig wrote: »
    I love this! :) Well done, it’s fab, would love it myself! :D
    Is that clay readily available and how much?

Yeah, for the 500g block it's a fiver in Mr Price. €6 in Range. You can get a 12kg bag in Art and Hobby for about €20 but it's not great at all, cracks badly when drying and takes ages too.

Yeah, for the 500g block it's a fiver in Mr Price. €6 in Range. You can get a 12kg bag in Art and Hobby for about €20 but it's not great at all, cracks badly when drying and takes ages too.

Well you made a great job of it anyway! You’re definitely after inspiring me! :D

I love the look of this, it’s gorgeous! Your painting style is really cool and effortless looking :)

What medium did you use?

You're very kind.
    I use acrylics, with my lack of a dedicated space at home to paint, it makes oils impossible.
    Not sure if my style is as you describe, but I love capturing light in paintings and this was no different.
    Effortless though?
    Hmm...
    That said, it was essentially painted in four sessions, first laying out the shapes and base colours, the next the left of the painting and then the right, finally the details were layered in.

You're very kind.
    I use acrylics, with my lack of a dedicated space at home to paint, it makes oils impossible.
    Not sure if my style is as you describe, but I love capturing light in paintings and this was no different.
    Effortless though?
    Hmm...
    That said, it was essentially painted in four sessions, first laying out the shapes and base colours, the next the left of the painting and then the right, finally the details were layered in.

Sorry CM, I may have worded that wrong and didn’t mean to. When I said effortless I just meant that it’s just so natural looking and not overworked looking but yet I know that there’s so much work involved in getting that look - I’d LOVE to be able to have a style like that.

Sorry CM, I may have worded that wrong and didn’t mean to. When I said effortless I just meant that it’s just so natural looking and not overworked looking but yet I know that there’s so much work involved in getting that look - I’d LOVE to be able to have a style like that.

That's okay
    I'm not entirely sure I can lay claim to a style
    It's a little like handwriting, you just find a way that's comfortable to lay colour down on a canvas and just keep doing it.

xW2JyWI.jpg

520558.jpg

Nice stuff.

• Advertisement

That's only beautiful!

Just finished this today, after a three year hiatus!
    I did a few hours yesterday, one this morning, and it's done.

ZLfZj3km.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

The detail of the people in this is just incredible.

Silverfish wrote: »
    The detail of the people in this is just incredible.

Honestly... just splodges of paint...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Honestly... just splodges of paint...

....placed on the canvas in a very successful way. :)

I nearly gave out to you for putting down the op's work!!! :p

New Home wrote: »
    ....placed on the canvas in a very successful way. :)

I nearly gave out to you for putting down the op's work!!! :p

Ha, but when I am painting I'm not doing people or paths, buildings or skies, it's just getting the colours down on the canvas as the original scene presents, the rest just emerges as you go.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Paint by numbers without the numbers? :pac: Well, if it works (and it does!), don't question it. :)

New Home wrote: »
    Paint by numbers without the numbers? :pac: Well, if it works (and it does!), don't question it. :)

Indeed, never saw it that way!

Is this stuff too simple for here? Not sure where else to put it.

522034.jpg
    522037.jpg

• Advertisement

Oh, those are lovely! :)

Don't see why not. Very cool. Great photos too, what sort of camera set up did you use.

beauf wrote: »
    Don't see why not. Very cool. Great photos too, what sort of camera set up did you use.

Thanks!! :)
    It's a humble Nikon d5500 with a Sigma 30mm f1.4 shot hand held at about f2 to blur the background.

Mod: I've added it to your old post again, too, CiDeRmAn.

522236.jpg

Made another terrarium from an old Bonsai tree from IKEA and some moss foraged from the Wicklow mountains yesterday. Decorative white stone is from Homesavers, rock face is stone from the base of Carlingford castle, steps are soft rock I found in the forest behind Stewarts hospital in Palmerstown and the rest are from Portrane beach.

50223009943_a7154aa1aa_z.jpgTerrarium by Anthony Murray, on Flickr
    50223010228_310846e2ce_z.jpgTerrarium by Anthony Murray, on Flickr
    50223882177_f64eceb370_z.jpgTerrarium by Anthony Murray, on Flickr

• Advertisement

I have to start selling these things now!

526371.jpg
    526366.jpg
    526367.jpg
    526368.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

They are beautiful , you really should sell them , they'd make a fabulous gift imo .

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    They are beautiful , you really should sell them , they'd make a fabulous gift imo .

Hey thanks!! I'm giving two of them away as presents and I'll try selling the other 2. I've enough material and plants to make another 10 - I think I know what everyone's getting for Xmas! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,275 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Just finished this today, after a three year hiatus!
    I did a few hours yesterday, one this morning, and it's done.

ZLfZj3km.jpg

I love this!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Hey thanks!! I'm giving two of them away as presents and I'll try selling the other 2. I've enough material and plants to make another 10 - I think I know what everyone's getting for Xmas! :D

Lucky recepients getting those !
    Keep up the good work !

• Advertisement
Advertisement