Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs being stolen

Options
  • 13-07-2020 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

What is with all the dogs being stolen at them moment? Why are so many suddenly going missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

frillyleaf wrote: »
    What is with all the dogs being stolen at them moment? Why are so many suddenly going missing?

Huge demand of dogs at the moment .....cost for pups has rocketed.

Older pure breeds are being stolen to breed.

Cocker spaniel going for around €1500 on done deal....up from €350 at the beginning of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭scilover

That's horrible news! I can only imagine the owner of the dog wondering where his/her dog went to when i reality, someone stole it from them. Where is this happening at?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭treascon

A lady in Enniscorthy had her dog & 7 pups stolen last week. Luckily she got the dog back but unfortunately no pups. The scumbags even cut the microchip out of her neck before dumping her. 2 8yr old cockers stolen in Dublin. A 12yr old springer stolen in kildare/Carlow area. These thieving scumbags know no boundaries as to where they’ll go or what they take. There’s a petition currently doing the rounds to ban dog sales on done***l.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

I'm not sure banning sales on done deal (or other websites) is the way to go. All that does is drive it to another site...more regulation is probably the way to do it. Sell dogs/cats more like cattle.

daheff wrote: »
    I'm not sure banning sales on done deal (or other websites) is the way to go. All that does is drive it to another site...more regulation is probably the way to do it. Sell dogs/cats more like cattle.

Yes of course I agree regulation is needed but banning sales from all the usual sites would be a start I think. Make it a lot harder for these scumbags to sell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭scilover

treascon wrote: »
    A lady in Enniscorthy had her dog & 7 pups stolen last week. Luckily she got the dog back but unfortunately no pups. The scumbags even cut the microchip out of her neck before dumping her. 2 8yr old cockers stolen in Dublin. A 12yr old springer stolen in kildare/Carlow area. These thieving scumbags know no boundaries as to where they’ll go or what they take. There’s a petition currently doing the rounds to ban dog sales on done***l.

They cut out the microchip then just dump her?! That's insane! How could someone do such a thing. This is another level of being low. Hopefully these kind of people get caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Agree it’s absolutely awful for the dog and pups - I have to be honest and say here the dog and pups were stolen from a locked shed - why were they not inside the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Best of luck with taking mine, she d eat yea, absolute arseholes though

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

They are drugging the dogs so they don’t bark & are easy to take ....

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

I've had someone from a particular community pass comment on my two recently - ones old and both are neutered so they are of no use to them but it certainly shook me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

biko wrote: »

I’ve noticed a few similar type posts on fb lately. All with English reg cars

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I’ve noticed a few similar type posts on fb lately. All with English reg cars

And kinda ‘Irishey’ accents? Like the one Brad Pitt learned for Snatch?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A shutdown of dog trading on Irish based sites and papers would help, together with a public awareness campaign.

It's all very well getting a dog now when there's people around and children to play with it. What happens when schools inevitably open and people go back full time outside of the home?? Winter closes in and no-one is bothered walking it in the dark and rain. It's like the Xmas pet thing and people getting donkeys when Shrek came out. People are fcuking dense they need reminding that with pets come responsibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's rife in a certain ethnic minority in Ireland and the UK....

They rob to breed or sell and also use in fights or to train savage dogs to kill.

A shutdown of dog trading on Irish based sites and papers would help, together with a public awareness campaign.

It's all very well getting a dog now when there's people around and children to play with it. What happens when schools inevitably open and people go back full time outside of the home?? Winter closes in and no-one is bothered walking it in the dark and rain. It's like the Xmas pet thing and people getting donkeys when Shrek came out. People are fcuking dense they need reminding that with pets come responsibilities.

Agree 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

It's rife in a certain ethnic minority in Ireland and the UK....

They rob to breed or sell and also use in fights or to train savage dogs to kill.

I think to assume it is only one aspect of the community that is doing is disingenuous. Dog owners need to be vigilant to anyone potentially showing interest in their dog.

There are many many puppy farms in this country that not run by ethnic minority and to brush it aside as it is only that group of people is doing it is not helpful in actually sorting this situation out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I've had someone from a particular community pass comment on my two recently - ones old and both are neutered so they are of no use to them but it certainly shook me!

I wouldn’t be so sure... “they” also use the dogs they can’t sell for baiting I’m led to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

I wouldn’t be so sure... “they” also use the dogs they can’t sell for baiting I’m led to believe

The thoughts of them using my dogs (or anyone's dogs) for that :(:(:(

micar wrote: »
    Huge demand of dogs at the moment .....cost for pups has rocketed.

Older pure breeds are being stolen to breed.

Cocker spaniel going for around €1500 on done deal....up from €350 at the beginning of the year.

People with extra cash they otherwise would have spent or Covid money burning holes in their pockets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

This is an epidemic.

The seven stolen puppies could fetch up to 2000 each stg.

This is serious organised crime. If you were caught with 15000 worth of drugs, youd be put in jail. There is no penalties for stealing dogs.

All that's said is sure I bought him off a man in a car.if you are following the case of Topsey and Turvey, one was found but not the other- the person who had one knows right well what happened to the other- yet no arrests were made.

People as well, selfish are paying huge money and not caring about the origin of their dog are fuelling this. Dogs stolen to be used as illegal breeding machines because my child wants a maltipoo.

The laws need to be changed with the onus on the person with the dog to prove they came by it legally. Also, better animal laws to protect animals and their owners.

The heartbreaking photo of the little cocker spaniel found (Garda Siochana Facebook Page) has been shared over 120,000 times. This shows that people are concerned about this topic and the Govt need to take action.

Also, there needs to be an acknowledgement of who is stealing the dogs instead of hiding behind political correctness. While puppy farms are a huge issue in this country, the people going around stealing dogs from homes, drones in gardens, heading to UK on the ferry, are not puppy farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I think to assume it is only one aspect of the community that is doing is disingenuous. Dog owners need to be vigilant to anyone potentially showing interest in their dog.

There are many many puppy farms in this country that not run by ethnic minority and to brush it aside as it is only that group of people is doing it is not helpful in actually sorting this situation out.

Stating it for what it is but of course they're all angels and can't do any wrong....

I'm sick of their carry on and criminality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Stating it for what it is but of course they're all angels and can't do any wrong....

I'm sick of their carry on and criminality.

You missed my point. Saying it is one community is like saying only people with black coats steal dogs and then people aren't vigilant of the guys in blue coats etc. My point was be vigilant about anybody showing interest in your dog.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

As a subscriber, I'm not entirely comfortable with the boards group of companies allowing ads for selling these stolen dogs on donedeal.
    Part of the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

I run a business buying and selling motorbikes and motorbike gear and in the past have used Donedeal to advertise. I contacted them last year about the immoral puppy farm owners openly advertising on their platform and told them I would no longer use their service until it was clamped down on.

No reply from them to this day and I haven't and won't use Donedeal until they change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

spurious wrote: »
    As a subscriber, I'm not entirely comfortable with the boards group of companies allowing ads for selling these stolen dogs on donedeal.
    Part of the problem.

Are boards and done deal part of the same company

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

coathanger wrote: »
    They are drugging the dogs so they don’t bark & are easy to take ....
    Our house broken into a few years ago, we had a brilliant dog who was a pure pet but a ferocious guard dog. She was never the same after the break in, a bag of nerves... guards who came out to house said the burglars will taser the big dogs to quieten them. Wonder if this is a method they use to take the bigger dogs.
    Fb warnings at the moment about tie wraps and ribbons left on gates and walls where dogs are to be taken.

Fb warnings at the moment about tie wraps and ribbons left on gates and walls where dogs are to be taken.

Would it not be easier to use the address?

It's like that other scare story about chalked symbols denoting houses to rob. How believeable is it burglars leave an obvious clue at places to rob?

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭bb12

had 2 dogs stolen at different times years ago

one by an ethnic minority...we put the word out that we would offer a big reward for the dogs return (twice the resale value at the time) and 4 days later we got a call and the dog was returned after money paid

the other dog was advertised on gumtree 2 days after it was taken by a scanger from ballymun, we posed as buyers and just bought him back

my dogs are never let out of my sight since and i still get so mad when i see dogs tied up outside shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I've looked a bit into the background on this and there are a lot of people who work tirelessly on behalf of animals throughout Ireland and they have done their research on this. It is very clear who the people are are who are the ringleaders on this dog thieving ring. They dont seem to be going out of their way to hide it and one boasted about it on Facebook. It is the lack of animal laws plus the opt out clause (I bought it off a lad in the pub for 20 pounds) that mean there is no repercussions.

In the last day I've read of an 85 year old man who cant sleep or eat without his "loyal comrade and friend" of 12 years. These dog thieves are bringing misery on people and it is a huge lucrative industry.

I believe the Gardai and UK police are also aware of who these people are and this has led to many dogs being recovered at ports etc.

However, like an ant infestation in your house, the problem wont stop until the Queen is gone, this guy need to be stopped.

Advertisement