Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs of the year 2019

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Strumms wrote: »
    He attracts a certain kind of knob... the sort who go to about two gigs a year, absolutely mashed by the time he comes on, end up smacking into people and wanting to fight you when you object to you and your other half nearly being shouldered onto the floor....

I saw Oasis here back in the day a few times and as good as they were that sort of fan was always a negative to the whole experience.

Strangely saw them in Paris back in ‘02 and the crowd was extremely diverse...old punks, skater kids, middle aged rockers, all enthusiastic, happy and up for it... I like LG but not so much the circus.

They are an unusual band that attract people from all areas of society. I notice that the millenial hipsters love Oasis too, the types born in 1999 with floppy hair cuts and tight shirts, young women love him and Oasis too. They are very closely linked with 1990s nostalgia and that is why young millennials love them, millenials are obsessed with the 1990s. It is the same reason why they also are obsessed with the TV show Friends, they have all these gatherings for fans of that show nowadays in London for millenials to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

They are an unusual band that attract people from all areas of society. I notice that the millenial hipsters love Oasis too, the types born in 1999 with floppy hair cuts and tight shirts, young women love him and Oasis too. They are very closely linked with 1990s nostalgia and that is why young millennials love them, millenials are obsessed with the 1990s. It is the same reason why they also are obsessed with the TV show Friends, they have all these gatherings for fans of that show nowadays in London for millenials to attend.

Oh come on.

That sounds just like the crowd that followed them in 94-96 when I was 17/18- took themselves awfully serious, the big LG hair and general pissed off looking all the time. I did the Leaving in 1996 and the results came out the same day Oasis played in Cork so I was there maaaan and I can think of at least 1/2 my LC class that followed that trend...and the whole Blur v Oasis nonsense.

ps I was not into Oasis (I didn't dislike them but I was into Black Sabbath at that time)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I notice that the millenial hipsters love Oasis too...They are very closely linked with 1990s nostalgia and that is why young millennials love them, millenials are obsessed with the 1990s.

You seem to discuss millenials as if you aren't one yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭bkrangle

Janelle Monae - TCD
    Alice in Chains - Olympia
    IDLES - Vicar St
    Lankum - Vicar St
    Just Mustard - Workman's

Hoping Devin Townsend and Fontaines make the list this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Wooderson wrote: »
    Fully agree with you here. Stunning show.

Big fan of Blur and Gorillaz too but that show blew both of them away. Damon was having the time of his life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭dasdog

Sleaford Mods - Academy
    Probably just a routine set for them but it was a 60 minute indoor explosion of energy.

Kamasi Washington - Olympia
    Just glorious, my brother has been calling me a jazz wánker for the last 15 years but I'm not the only one.

Durand Jones & The Indications - Whelans
    Re-imagined 60's/70's soul and funk originals by as good musicians as you will see.

Dry Cleaning - Workmans Club
    A midnight show and their first outside the UK. Probably about 70 people at it and it was a bit special and flawless.

Bjork - 3Arena
    It was completely mental. This could be the future for those who can afford to put on such a production if they have the imagination.

Some of the other better ones were Ronnie Spektor (NCH), Ennio Morricone (3Arena), Hot 8 Brass Band (Button Factory), New Order (Trinity) and I enjoyed my weekend at Slane seeing Metallica. They've come a long way from the Top Hat.

Looking forward to Fontaines DC tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 casheltipp

Cherry Glazerr - Whelans
    Cure - Malahide
    A-ha - 3arena

• Registered Users Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Public Service Broadcasting in the Olympia for me, perfect combination of powerful audio and visuals
    Janelle Monae (TCD) - Best gig of the year by far
    Public Service Broadcasting
    Jesca Hoop (Sound House)
    Deus (Academy)

Public Service Broadcasting were brilliant in the Olympia! M
    May have permanently damaged the hearing in my left ear. Had an ear infection but got to close to the speakers.
    Ear was ringing for days after. Had a medical a month later, told my left ear had the hearing of a sixty year old.
    I’m only half that

The Cure in Malahide were good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

bkrangle wrote: »
    Janelle Monae - TCD
    Alice in Chains - Olympia
    IDLES - Vicar St
    Lankum - Vicar St
    Just Mustard - Workman's

Hoping Devin Townsend and Fontaines make the list this weekend!

Devins certainly making mine after that performance on friday, them new songs are tons of fun live.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

1. Foo Fighters, RDS
    2. The Good The Bad and The Queen, ATN
    3. Orbital, ATN
    4. IDLES, Iveagh
    5. Jon Hopkins, ATN
    6. A Lazarus Soul, Vicar
    7. Loyal Carner, ATN

Delighted to see so many acknowledging the wonderful TGTBATQ. That gig caught me and my mates by surprise, very special gig.

My 2020 calendar filling up nicely now too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaSophia

Top three are in order and the rest I just really enjoyed :D

Jenny Lewis in The Academy was special
    Janelle Monae in TCD
    Spice Girls in Croke Park
    Marina in Olympia
    Hayley Kiyoko in Olympia
    Squeeze in Vicar St
    King Princess in The Academy
    The Cure in Malahide were also great, sound was a bit dodge but enjoyed the concert nonetheless!
    Oh, forgot Lizzo as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Gig of the year forum just turns into people naming every gig they were at in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

The Cure - Malahide Castle

Super gig, still a great Live Act with a back catalogue going back 40 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

poteen wrote: »
    Gig of the year forum just turns into people naming every gig they were at in 2019.

Not me....I was at 2 gigs and only named one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Shout out for Robert Forster at the Button Factory. Something more low key, befitting my advancing years. A deeply satisfying evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

1. IDLES - iveagh gardens
    2. Denzel Curry - the helix
    3. The Chats - academy

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭sabrewulf

Garbage at Iveagh Gardens was my favorite, however, the joy in my daughter's face during the Ariana Grande gig made it a close runner up.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,068 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Jonny Marr. EP
    Bjork. The Point
    The Cure. Malahide
    Pixies. Olympia
    Liam and Neil Finn. Olympia
    David Gray. Bord Gais
    Sharon Van Etten. Vicar st
    Michael Kiwanuka. EP
    Duff McKagan. EP
    Echo ATBM. EP

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

1. James Holden and the Animal Spirits @ It Takes a Village
    2. Luluc @ the Grand Social
    3. The Strokes @ EP

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Gigs of the year:
    The Cure - Malahide
    Fat White Family - Button Factory
    Thievery Corporation - Vicar St
    Murder Capital - Whelans
    Stereolab - Vicar St
    Bell x1 with Dowry - Wexford Opera House

Underwhelming of the year:
    Hot Chip - Olympia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Sharon Van Etten was definitely up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,874 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Underwhelming gig of the year for me would have to go to Bon Jovi in the RDS. They weren't all bad but Jon's voice is not what it used to be. Maniacs were great as support although the sound issues took away from it a bit

Stiff Little Fingers at slane was just a mess by MCD and really didnt suite the day imo. A lot of it was to do with the timing. They should of been on after Fangclub and not 3rd before Ghost

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kennyu272

The Cure - Malahide Castle
    Idles - Glastonbury
    Fontaine’s DC - Vicar St
    U2 - Sydney Cricket Ground
    Sinead O’Connor -Wexford Spiegeltent
    Patti Smith - ATN

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Hot Chip @ ATN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Tool @ Rock Werchter

Prophets of Rage @ London Brixton Academy

Neil Young + POTR @ Antwerp Sportpaleis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Alice In Chains, the Olympia. Nothing comes close

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Alice In Chains, the Olympia. Nothing comes close

It was so good, the whole place belting out the classics! What a band.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭larry1

Bob Seger - Farewell tour - Toronto
    Lewis Capaldi - Olympia
    Hall & Oates - Iveagh Gardens

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

OMD - Olympia - Andy's dad dancing was brilliant
    Squeeze - Cork Opera House - the entire band were amazing and you could purchase double CD of the concert you were at 5 mins ago and I did!
    Robert Forster - Cypress Avenue - Was a real treat to meet co-writer of one of the best songs EVER - "Streets of your town"
    and
    Peter Broderick - Triskel Arts - he was brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Girl Band @ Vicar st
    ATN: Kojaque, JonHopkins, TGTB&TQ
    EP: Billie Eilish, Kneecap, DJ Seinfeld, Let’s eat Grandma, Courtney Barnett

I’m sure I’m forgetting stuff from earlier in the year....

Advertisement