Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rory McIlroy olympics u-turn

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Muahahaha wrote: »
    From a mate who is a West Ham season ticket holder apparently the club owners put him under huge pressure to play for England because english players are more valuable in the transfer market due to the quota system. So the West Ham owners were thinking of his re-sale value and knew they would get a better price if he declared for England. Aside from that he had the English FA in his ear and his agent to who is thinking of the commission on his next transfer.

The Rice situation was a mess but I wouldnt hold any grudge against the lad. There is an argument that as a kid playing for Ireland he took the place of someone else only to later declare for England. But its hard to blame a 13 or 14yr old Declan Rice for that when he has no idea that at that stage if he will ever make it to top level football when the majority of them don't. He just wanted to play football and no doubt his family connections to Ireland wanted him to play here too.

anyone still harping on about Rice or holding a grudge needs to get a grip

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

lawred2 wrote: »
    anyone still harping on about Rice or holding a grudge needs to get a grip

Oooh Aaah up the Ra say Oooh Ah up the Ra!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭tjhook

I'd separate the two issues of the Olympics selection and Rory as a person.

Representing one's country is an honour. I'd be honoured to represent Ireland at the World Tiddlywinks competition, held in Hackballscross on a wet Tuesday in November.

If somebody doesn't jump at the chance to represent their country, I'd rather the opportunity goes to somebody else who feels it's an honour. I think that's the situation here. I'd rather see somebody proud to play for Ireland, rather than somebody with a better chance of winning a medal, but is only there for the sponsorship opportunities.

As for the guy himself, I'd be open-minded. He doesn't have much charisma, but not everybody does. I do hear he does a lot of good for various causes. And he did help with the Irish Open. I wouldn't judge either way without having sat with him for a few pints. When that happens, I'll report back to After Hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Andy Townsend on the other hand. It was a pure 'career move' for him and you can never say he really brought into it. He still says 'we' for England and is very sheepish when English commentators mock him as 'an Irishman'

Townsend played for Ireland like he was Irish and always gave everything. So what if he says 'we'd in reference to England?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

tjhook wrote: »
    Representing one's country is an honour. I'd be honoured to represent Ireland at the World Tiddlywinks competition, held in Hackballscross on a wet Tuesday in November.

If somebody doesn't jump at the chance to represent their country, I'd rather the opportunity goes to somebody else who feels it's an honour. I think that's the situation here. I'd rather see somebody proud to play for Ireland, rather than somebody with a better chance of winning a medal, but is only there for the sponsorship opportunities.

That being said, in an individual sport, I would venture that your primarily excited about being able to play in the world championships because you want to compete at that level. Great to do so under the Irish flag but I don't think it's the primary motivation at that level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,851 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What time does it start?

What time does it start?

2pm, after the dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

"On the tee, from Northern Ireland...."

He represents his country 4 days a week.

The Olympic situation is forcing him to address an area he has marked 'grey'. Maybe he left it a grey area for commercial gain, maybe because he doesnt care and feels its irrelevant, but I'm not surprised he hasn't got some honourable feeling to jump and represent one side over the other.

"The Olympic situation is forcing him to address an area he has marked 'grey'. Maybe he left it a grey area for commercial gain, maybe because he doesnt care and feels its irrelevant, but I'm not surprised he hasn't got some honourable feeling to jump and represent one side over the other.

That's fine, I wouldn't hold it against him. People have the rights to their own motivations. But I think it's fair enough for selectors to consider it when picking people to represent the country. He shouldn't have an automatic right to selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Ah yes, the notorious u-turn event in which in a mad dash you must double back sharpish in quick time to whence you came it has been any a mans achilles heel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement