Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-05-2019, 14:05   #241
rizzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeReeG View Post
Hey rizzee and welcome to the thread
You've an exciting time planned with a first half and first full marathon. Your goal is definitely achievable for the half I would say, judging by the PBs, and probably well under!

I think I saw on the Random questions thread that you are going to follow the Boards plan? What would say your current mileage per week is roughly?

Great that you are sometimes running 4 times a week. I would suggest you try to get into that routine weekly before the plan starts in June.

Thank you! It's not great to be honest. Only 20-30KMs but I obviously plan on upping that and following the beginners plan in the OP.

Thanks for the advice

Staff Relay Race today, I'm looking for a sub 25:30, did 23:01 last year but I had a little niggle in the ankle the weekend so haven't trained how I would have liked.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-05-2019, 16:29   #242
passinginterest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzee View Post
Thank you! It's not great to be honest. Only 20-30KMs but I obviously plan on upping that and following the beginners plan in the OP.

Thanks for the advice

Staff Relay Race today, I'm looking for a sub 25:30, did 23:01 last year but I had a little niggle in the ankle the weekend so haven't trained how I would have liked.
Did the staff relay last night. It’s a tough course with a big downhill in the first mile, fairly sharp climb in the second and then a lot of grass for the third. I had planned to run it fairly steady but got a bit caught up in the buzz and not wanting to be slowest in the team so ended up running it pretty close to max effort. Was delighted to get around in 22.36.
24-05-2019, 00:10   #243
rizzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
Did the staff relay last night. It’s a tough course with a big downhill in the first mile, fairly sharp climb in the second and then a lot of grass for the third. I had planned to run it fairly steady but got a bit caught up in the buzz and not wanting to be slowest in the team so ended up running it pretty close to max effort. Was delighted to get around in 22.36.

Well done!! I surprised myself and did 22.49 (pb!!) . I was the first one out (A), and was very comfortable in the run. Perfect weather for it, nice and cool
24-05-2019, 00:20   #244
Prospector1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
Did the relay tonight myself. Was the last leg on the team. Lots of waiting around. Very decent crowds.
Think the team time came in at 2:32:xx, was a nice evening out was great to see people of all abilities taking part. May have turned one or two of them into runners!

Personal target was sub 24:30.
Went out hard down the hill and managed to maintain a decent pace up the hills. Happy with my own time of 24:01 on a difficult course!
24-05-2019, 12:11   #245
ReeReeG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballybog View Post
Dipping my toe into this post. I missed out on the DCM tickets, but will be on standby as soon as the second wave is release to try ans secure one.

I am a novice runner, started with local parkruns last summer and gently built up my fitness levels.

Looking to get into a formal plan, even if I don't get an entry into the DCM, might look at alternative marathons later on in the year.

Current PB's:
5km 28min
10km 58min
Wicklow half 2h 17min

Looking forward to hearing all the advice here !

Hey Ballybog. Hope you get an entry when it reopens!

Have you looked at the plans in the opening post? What sort of mileage are you typically doing in a week at the moment?
Was that Wicklow half time from this year?
Advertisement
26-05-2019, 15:50   #246
Bananaleaf

An ultrasound tomorrow will hopefully confirm for sure, but it looks like I have a hernia. Swelling began on Thurs. Went to A&E last night. I'm not looking for medical advice, I will get that tomorrow from my doc, but just in a bit of a mood about it at the moment. My training has been very good and very consistent.

Just wondering if anyone knows how much of an issue this is likely to be? I've private health insurance so would be hoping to have what needs to be done ASAP. I know I haven't yet been diagnosed and that everyone is different, but am expecting to be waiting 6weeks until I can return to training. Say 7 when you factor in getting the diagnosis and the procedure if needed.

Boards plan starts in 5weeks if I've done my maths right.

Am I screwed or am I lucky that it has happened now rather than later?
26-05-2019, 16:50   #247
Mr. Guappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaleaf View Post
An ultrasound tomorrow will hopefully confirm for sure, but it looks like I have a hernia. Swelling began on Thurs. Went to A&E last night. I'm not looking for medical advice, I will get that tomorrow from my doc, but just in a bit of a mood about it at the moment. My training has been very good and very consistent.

Just wondering if anyone knows how much of an issue this is likely to be? I've private health insurance so would be hoping to have what needs to be done ASAP. I know I haven't yet been diagnosed and that everyone is different, but am expecting to be waiting 6weeks until I can return to training. Say 7 when you factor in getting the diagnosis and the procedure if needed.

Boards plan starts in 5weeks if I've done my maths right.

Am I screwed or am I lucky that it has happened now rather than later?
First off, I'm really gutted to hear about this setback, and fingers crossed that tomorrow delivers better news than you expect. The good news is that you've a really great base built up which will stand to you, whenever you get the all clear.

The plans actually start in 4 weeks, and coming back from a 7 week layoff into week 4, I'd be wary of doing too much too soon, ideally you'd spend a few weeks gradually and cautiously building the mileage back up. I'd always lean towards the sensible, conservative option, but let's see how tomorrow goes first?
(4) thanks from:
26-05-2019, 17:17   #248
Bananaleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Guappa View Post
First off, I'm really gutted to hear about this setback, and fingers crossed that tomorrow delivers better news than you expect. The good news is that you've a really great base built up which will stand to you, whenever you get the all clear.

The plans actually start in 4 weeks, and coming back from a 7 week layoff into week 4, I'd be wary of doing too much too soon, ideally you'd spend a few weeks gradually and cautiously building the mileage back up. I'd always lean towards the sensible, conservative option, but let's see how tomorrow goes first?
Oh no, 4 weeks! Okay, yes, lets see what happens tomorrow first. I'm totally fine with gradual buildup - will be just delighted to get back into it.

It was the gym that did it. Not the running. I've been very good with my running, taking it very slow. But it looks like 5days running and 3days gym has finally taken its toll. Lifting weights that were obviously too heavy for me. LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE PEOPLE!!

We will see what tomorrow brings. My plan was in 2 weeks time to drop back from 3gym to 1gym per week. Why oh Why didn't I do this earlier?

Thanks Mr Guappa. Will let you know how it goes tomorrow. Fingers crossed for good news.
Thanks from:
26-05-2019, 20:59   #249
Mr. Guappa

So, just 4 weeks now to go until the plans kick off, and only 22 weeks to go until DCM! It will come around a lot quicker than you'd think. If you haven't done so already, use the next 4 weeks to gradually build your mileage, get accustomed to running at least 4 days a week, and most importantly, getting used to slowing it down!

As you may have seen on Strava, I was away last week so it's great to see a few more recruits have joined the party in that time. Speaking of Strava, I'll plug our group again: https://www.strava.com/clubs/523351. Just remember to pop myself, ReeReeG or Huzzah! a PM with your Strava name.

I'd also like to note that if you've signed up for DCM but for some reason can't now take part, that you can avail of a refund between the 3rd-16th June. Do ask our opinion though if it's a confidence or fear thing, we'll give you honest feedback. The additional entries will go on sale at 9am on the 1st July, so mark that date in your diary if you're waiting to claim an entry!

I've noted some great racing over the past week or two as well, please keep us updated on any upcoming races you have pencilled in. If you haven't done many races before, they are a great test run for the big day, and we definitely recommend getting in a couple during the training block.
Advertisement
27-05-2019, 00:26   #250
DBB

Aw bananaleaf
That is crap news. But hopefully things won't look as bad once you've got your diagnosis... I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's keeping everything crossed for you
(5) thanks from:
27-05-2019, 11:03   #251
positron

Wow this thread is already 250 posts long and I never said hello. well.. Hello.

I am a DCM graduate from 2017 batch (Wubbles wonders), really looking forward to reading updates here, reports on the trials and tribulations of putting your body and mind thru the training plan, the excitement and the reports after the d-day. All the very best wishes to Mr. Guappas' 2019 batch, you are all in for such a treat, the very first marathon journey is just so special.

I have signed for 2019 although I have been running a lot less this year than I have in the last two years. Yet to pick a plan but I have never been too successful in sticking to plan really close. I will follow the boards plan in general, building up distances with everyone in this thread. It's going to be great... going to be the best DCM to date..
(5) thanks from:
27-05-2019, 20:26   #252
Bananaleaf

KBC saying they will unveil the medal tomorrow. In the meantime I found this link tonight https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiww4nktrziAhUYSxUIHWlpAQMQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fextra.ie%2F2019%2F05%2F27%2Fbusiness%2Firish%2Fkbc-dublin-marathon-unveils-finishers-medal-for-40th-anniversary&psig=AOvVaw09JhjuDRXMFBhwKdEplsqw&ust=1559071154627813
(5) thanks from:
27-05-2019, 20:33   #253
Bananaleaf

Hi all. Me again, just wanted to put this in a separate post.
I got a CT scan today rather than an ultrasound. Don't know why. The results of that suggested that rather than having a hernia it is just a pulled muscle which has lead to quite a lot of subcutaneous inflammation, hence the abnormal swelling. I was delighted with life until the idea of getting a second opinion was put into my head on account of this person's opinion (from personal experience - they are not a doctor nor are they trying to be) that CTs can miss hernias as you are lying down for them.

If the swelling abates, I'm tempted to leave well enough alone. The hospital wants me back in 2 weeks to see how things are and I'm in with GP tomorrow hopefully, so might just see what she thinks too.

Anyway, if my scan is correct, I could be back running in 2 weeks. Am holding off on the celebrations just yet.
27-05-2019, 23:25   #254
DBB

Oooohhhhh bananaleaf! Keeping everything that can be crossed, crossed for you
Thanks from:
28-05-2019, 10:46   #255
Soulsun

Hi folks
In terms of pace are these stats SLOW enough?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_20190528-104044.png (145.2 KB, 74 views)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion