Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

The First And Last Freedom by J. Krishnamurti

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Holding by Graham Norton.

Pretty easy read so far, entertaining enough and just enough mystery to hold your interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Constellations by Sinéad Gleeson

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Becoming - Michelle Obama. I've ben looking forward to reading this and have read a huge amount of praise for it - I just hope I am not expecting too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Xofpod

From out of the City, John Kelly. Enjoying it, reminds me a lot of Kevin Barry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,627 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished George RR Martin's Game of Thrones Book 5 A Dance With Dragons. Really enjoyed it and now I am all caught up with the books I am hoping that book 6 is out at some point this year. Crazy the gap since book 5 was published in 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

eire4 wrote: »
    Finished George RR Martin's Game of Thrones Book 5 A Dance With Dragons. Really enjoyed it and now I am all caught up with the books I am hoping that book 6 is out at some point this year. Crazy the gap since book 5 was published in 2011.

I bought the first four books when book 5 came out, thinking I’d be set for the 6th one. That didn’t turn out as planned.

Ipso wrote: »
    I bought the first four books when book 5 came out, thinking I’d be set for the 6th one. That didn’t turn out as planned.

I know I hear you. I love the books they are fantastic but for sure if I was someone who read them as they were coming out I would be well pissed off at the author. Pretty poor really on his part to leave his readers hanging like this for so long.

Took a bit of a trip down memory lane this weekend reading Volume 1 of the Adventures of Tintin which I enjoyed so much when I was a kid. The first volume includes Tintin in America and then Cigars of the Pharoh and The Blue Lotus which are connected stories.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

eire4 wrote: »
    I know I hear you. I love the books they are fantastic but for sure if I was someone who read them as they were coming out I would be well pissed off at the author. Pretty poor really on his part to leave his readers hanging like this for so long.

"The Lives She Left Behind" came out 20 (or was it 25?) years after "Ferney" (thank you, James Long).

• Advertisement

Black Leopard, Red Wolf, by Marlon James.
    Mad fantasy novel based on African mythology. A bit like his Brief History of 7 Killings, it loses me every now and then before snapping back to incredible storytelling. Really enjoying it overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,866 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The Dry by Jane Harper. It's hot and dry and murderous in Oz....

Loading up the kindle for a two week break next week.

Michelle Obama's
    This is Going to Hurt, Junior Doctor stories, heard it is hilarious in parts
    Rose of Sarajevo, Ayse Kulin, came recommended, we shall see.
    The Glass Castle Jeanette Walls
    A walk in the Woods Bill Bryson
    The Count of Monte Cristo.
    Going to re read The Heart's Invisible Furies. Brilliant book IMO. Can only get better on second reading!

I'll let you know!

Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa

I finished The New Confessions of an Economic Hitman by John Perkins. It is an expose by a former economic hitman himself on how the US essentially gets control over countries governments. A very important book which exposes some very horrendous behaviour.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Started Assassin's Quest (Robin Hobb) on the bus this morning and already loving it, only 22 pages into a fairly heft book. Thankfully it's a paperback :pac:

Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate.

It's about 5 kids in the 1930s, living on a river boat, that were taken into "care" when their mother had a difficult pregnancy and their father had to take her to the nearest city to find a hospital. Turns out it's basically a child selling business where children are forcibly taken from their parents, or kidnapped without their knowledge, to be sold off to the rich families of Tennessee and and across the US.

It jumps back and forth in time between the kids and the present day, where a young woman, daughter of a senator, gets a clue that there's some skeletons in their family closet after meeting an old lady in a retirement home who calls her by another name and insists she knows her grandmother.

As with most books that use the back and forth in time structure, one time period is way more interesting than the other, but all in all its a pretty good read so far. Probably would have worked just as well without the present day stuff though.

Apparently the story of the kids and the homes they were sent to has some element of historic truth to it too, the main woman behind the home being a real person, which should make for some more interesting reading later.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

In the past week and half I've finished
    - This is going to Hurt
    - Oh my God what a complete Aisling
    - Notes to Self

And up next is Why we sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

In the last two days I started and finished Uprooted by Naomi Novik. The only problem I had with the book was the age difference between the main character and her love interest, he being about 100 and she being 17. There was no need for a romance in this, I think

I've also just started Anne of Green Gables. She's very daydreamy like I was at that age, except she talks more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

_Godot_ wrote: »
    I've also just started Anne of Green Gables. She's very daydreamy like I was at that age, except she talks more.

Aww I adore the whole Anne series. Read them all as a child and a couple more times as an adult. They just get better the more times I read them!

Moonwalking with Einstein, Joshua Foer. Appalling title, but a pretty good book on the science of memory

• Advertisement

The Scholar by Derval McTiernan

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I have just started The Power by Naomi Alderman.

Yesterday I finished When All Is Said by Anne Griffin, which was a bit of a struggle, despite a lot of really good reviews - it just wasn't for me I guess.

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

The Moon and the Other, by John Kessel. About 4 chapters in. It's set among a number of lunar colonies in the mid-22nd century.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

A Land Of Two Halves by Joe Bennett

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I finished Station Eleven last week. The first fiction book I've finished in years, as it happens. I've a new commute to work that has me on the Luas for 90 minutes a day so it's nice to be getting back into reading again.

I really enjoyed it. It's a very easy read and not your typical post-apocalypse collection of near misses and close calls. Very much character driven and while I usually dislike books/films that are constantly jumping backwards and forwards in time, it worked for this book.

Keeping up with the post-apocalyptic theme, I've just started The Road this morning. I hear it's very bleak but great nonetheless. Hard to get used to the writing style at first especially as it's so different to Station Eleven, but I'm sure I'll adapt.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭norabattie

Currently ready Chris Carter - Hunting Evil

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

(Part 7 in the Matthew Corbett series)
    About 4 chapters in a loving it.Fantastic series overall.
    Cardinal Black is another extraordinary achievement from one of America's most skilled authors, and it features some of the most memorable, compelling, and chilling characters in the Matthew Corbett series to date, each with their own competing agendas. This masterful historical adventure is perfectly balanced for long-time fans of the series and new readers alike who are now joining the adventure.

The Ruin by Dervla McTiernan

• Advertisement

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo.

Really enjoying this so far but again it's a book where there's a present day framing device used to tell the actual story and it doesn't always work. Thankfully the present day bits are generally quite short on comparison to the main story.

Advertisement