Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2019 - Round 4 - Baku

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Trying not to give them any money.

I think they like to screw people. They could put F1 on their first SS mobile tier, but don't. They could sell F1 weekend pass on now tv, but won't.
    Plus we pay more than UK etc.

Exactly why I cancelled. They didn't make it easy either & charged me another month for '30 day notification fee'. Only cemented my determination not to re-subsribe...

Plus I resent paying for an army of presenters (esp Johnny f*****g Herbert). C4 much better - even like Steve Jones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

The statisticians are more important than the engineers nowadays, they can pick out the optimal strategy and they are usually right. All the tweaks are designed to make the job harder for the engineers - they need to make the job harder for the statisticians too. At the moment they can probably predict the best strategy with a very high degree of confidence, maybe 70-80%, it might not be a winning strategy but its the best for their circumstances. We want to introduce more randomness, more permutations on how a race may be won, to make this harder and bring it back to the 90s/00s when it was a pen and paper job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I was thinking (yes it did hurt) and it would make things a bit more interesting if the tyres were unmarked and other teams didn't know what the other was running.

Also, starting on the tyres from Q2 severely limits the strategy and limiting variables is what causes the dullness imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

I was thinking (yes it did hurt) and it would make things a bit more interesting if the tyres were unmarked and other teams didn't know what the other was running.

Also, starting on the tyres from Q2 severely limits the strategy and limiting variables is what causes the dullness imo

Yeah, I really don't understand this rule? It doesn't really add any value to the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

I think that rule was to give advantage to back markers , they get a tire choice an could run longer and hopefully get track position out of it.

At this stage , I think if you get lapped your out would be worth a go . And the different engine modes are a bit annoying . either you can run at that mode all the time or your not allowed have it .

• Advertisement

Joeface wrote: »
    I think that rule was to give advantage to back markers , they get a tire choice an could run longer and hopefully get track position out of it.

At this stage , I think if you get lapped your out would be worth a go . And the different engine modes are a bit annoying . either you can run at that mode all the time or your not allowed have it .

That makes sense but I wonder is it undermined by the obligatory change in tyre compounds.

The tyres are now too predictable while still being too fragile. There are rarely any alternative strategies worth even giving a go. Despite DRS it's still rarely worth pitting again. It used to be a 3-stop was fastest on paper but traffic meant a 2-stop was the more usual successful and safe strategy. Now traffic isn't as much of an issue, pit stops are much shorter but it still isn't worth it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

They need to introduce a joker lap/activation zone ( Formula E) > Something that will just change things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

The problem is that everything is too predictable be tyre life, aero design and function, fuel usage, etc.
    Every car is based on the same design ideas. It's only budget that dinw tunes the parts to get a great car. There is no room to come to with a new concept or hair brained idea like yester year

Give the rules an overhaul and let anything be used once it fits a few basic regulations and sizes. Then creativity will be important again not statatisions and computer models

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'm suprised no number crunching led to anyone trying to use the hard tyres.

Granted they ARE slower but given how about 12 - 15 Laps on the mediums were basically focused on saving them would it have been possible to push the hards during that period while everyone was busy conserving the mediums.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    I'm suprised no number crunching led to anyone trying to use the hard tyres.

Granted they ARE slower but given how about 12 - 15 Laps on the mediums were basically focused on saving them would it have been possible to push the hards during that period while everyone was busy conserving the mediums.

That might be a lot more attractive if someone could run the full race without stopping. Leave the tyres as they are, maybe with a harder hard tyre that lasts the race, and don't have any stipulation that you must stop. Then you might have some roll the dice strategies that come good for the midfield now and again.

We need to inject some realistic low probability-high impact strategies

Advertisement