Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New normal and driving test

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ADowling wrote: »
    I had mine booked for the 1st of April and I’m still waiting for mine ! It’s booked in Tallaght though which may be the reason I’m still waiting... congrats on passing !

Also Tallaght, since 2nd week of May...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Thanks a mil, was delighted, I thought I'd be waiting for a date for ages!

Just for anyone that is waiting on a test, once you get a date I'd say book the earliest available NDLS slot in case you pass. I didn't do that and now I've to wait until the 31st of August to apply for the feckin license :rolleyes:

Yep. This is a good plan. We were lucky and checked every day and finally got one in trim for today but the next one after that for trim or any Dublin centre would have been sept 2nd

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ADowling

Thanks a mil, was delighted, I thought I'd be waiting for a date for ages!

Just for anyone that is waiting on a test, once you get a date I'd say book the earliest available NDLS slot in case you pass. I didn't do that and now I've to wait until the 31st of August to apply for the feckin license :rolleyes:

Very good advice, I actually heard from them finally and I have my test on September 1st, so I will definitely book the NDLS for the licence ! I am determine to pass haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lil28

Very good advice, I actually heard from them finally and I have my test on September 1st, so I will definitely book the NDLS for the licence ! I am determine to pass haha

Did you get an email from them with your test date? My test was due to be on 27th March in Tullamore but I haven't heard from them about a date yet. Starting to fear my application fell through the net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Hi, wish I'd read this thread earlier. Passed today and earliest ndls appointment is 8th September.

Grawns wrote: »
    Hi, wish I'd read this thread earlier. Passed today and earliest ndls appointment is 8th September.

Keep checking for cancellations. What I did was kept the appointment for my husband and used my details to log in and check appts. When I saw one I cancelled hubbys straight away and booked the new one. You have to be quick though.

Congrats on passing. Best feeling ever.

Very good idea. Will do that. Thanks so much.

lil28 wrote: »
    Did you get an email from them with your test date? My test was due to be on 27th March in Tullamore but I haven't heard from them about a date yet. Starting to fear my application fell through the net

Yes they emailed me but I’ve been ringing them as well to make sure I was still on the list and the cancellation list. Give them a call and they’ll check for you !

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lil28

Yes they emailed me but I’ve been ringing them as well to make sure I was still on the list and the cancellation list. Give them a call and they’ll check for you !

Great thanks I'll give them a call first thing on Monday. Best of luck with your test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Anyne know if tests have stopped in Kildare, Offaly and Laois? This is just a nightmare at the moment trying to get a test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I hope its ok to ask this here as you are the people will know though i have license for years with all the stuff.

Say we come to traffic light and the lights are green on arrow straight ahead, there is no red light.
    If there is no cars coming in the opposite direction can we turn right?
    I have my own opinion but wanted to ask what is being taught now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I hope its ok to ask this here as you are the people will know though i have license for years with all the stuff.

Say we come to traffic light and the lights are green on arrow straight ahead, there is no red light.

If it highlighted by an actual arrow then you follow this but proceed with caution as per normal....

The reason for some of these is there could be a pedestrian light with green on the other road you would intend on turning into for example.

If it's a green circle with no arrow then you may proceed to turn right once safe to do so and once you can safely clear the junction and not obstruct traffic.

Lundstram wrote: »
    Anyne know if tests have stopped in Kildare, Offaly and Laois? This is just a nightmare at the moment trying to get a test.

As they are in lockdown, this means it's gone backwards as to what was permitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭SteveAdti

Lundstram wrote: »

https://www.facebook.com/217083884987932/posts/3720541977975421/

Can you be more specific? Maybe post a screenshot from Google maps of a particular junction that has that set up.

For instance in image one you must wait until the red right arrow becomes green before you can proceed.

But in the second image you can proceed either when the filter light is on or if just the green circle light is on and your way is clear you can also proceed

This is what failed me on my last test ! Tester said I should have turned right on the straight green arrow

The reason for my post is i thought current teaching practices may have changed.
    Do you know if this is referrred in booklet?
    It sometimes annoys me in a line of 4 or 5 cars turning right, because most people wait for arrow and only a few cars get through in sort time its on i may have to wait until next time.
    I blew the horn a few times but people thing i am just being ignorant so i do not do, the other day i was first and turned right and all the cars behing me stayed and waited for arrow.

The reason for my post is i thought current teaching practices may have changed.
    Do you know if this is referrred in booklet?
    It sometimes annoys me in a line of 4 or 5 cars turning right, because most people wait for arrow and only a few cars get through in sort time its on i may have to wait until next time.
    I blew the horn a few times but people thing i am just being ignorant so i do not do, the other day i was first and turned right and all the cars behing me stayed and waited for arrow.

2018 version of the rules of the road says :

LorelaiG wrote: »
    2018 version of the rules of the road says :

Sorry file was too large. I'll try again in a bit

• Advertisement

LorelaiG wrote: »
    Can you be more specific? Maybe post a screenshot from Google maps of a particular junction that has that set up.

For instance in image one you must wait until the red right arrow becomes green before you can proceed.

But in the second image you can proceed either when the filter light is on or if just the green circle light is on and your way is clear you can also proceed

They're two different type of light set up....

If a arrow shows right then you proceed with caution....
    If a arrow shows straight only then you must wait. If an arrow is fitted and no red for the right arrow then that's a mess.... It should be a circle light.

They're two different type of light set up....

If a arrow shows right then you proceed with caution....
    If a arrow shows straight only then you must wait. If an arrow is fitted and no red for the right arrow then that's a mess.... It should be a circle light.

Amesterdam??

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Rosstopher

Booked a test in January and no word yet.

However I only completed EDT one month ago. Do they look at this before they schedule a test or you? I had assumed it wouldn't be linked automatically and if you got a test that it would be tough luck if you hadn't finished EDT and you'd have to cancel it because you won't be eligible to sit it, could be wrong though of course.

Difficult to know if I should be expecting a test soon based on the January application, or later based on only finishing EDT a month back!

Your edt instructor has to register that you have completed the lessons, then you can apply successfully for your test. That's how it worked for me. I applied when told by him but heard nothing as he hadn't successfully registered my completion of edt. Once that was sorted I got a test date quickly but lockdown happened one week shy of my original test date.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I applied in May, I got the phone number email yesterday.

Judging by peoples tests times relative to their applications, I'm not expecting my test until October (Dublin-based)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Applied for the test for Tallaght in in late March to get on the list as it were, haven't heard a thing since. Hopefully not waiting too much longer :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 brianocon77

At whats stage theory questions are asked in the test?

- Do they show signs and ask you what sign stands for what?

- Questions are asked prior to the driving or during the driving? Number of questions on an average?

- I am also confused about MSM vs MSMM routine?

- Questions are asked prior to the driving or during the driving? Number of questions on an average?

Before you start driving they ask the questions. And yes they show signs too.

It's mirror signal mirror manoeuvre.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭_Chaos

Anyone on the cancellation list for Deansgrange? Any idea how long it would be to get a date via the cancellation list V booking a test as you can't do both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭J_R

MSM

Everything in driving is based on common sense, therefore everything taught can be explained logically in total basic common sense language.

So, in explaining the safe sequence of actions to safely move off the MSM' routine is used.

Before taking any action you must first ascertain if it is safe to do so.

Therefore you do all necessary observational checks before indicating.

Check ALL mirrors. (Blind spot if necessary), you can now make a fully informed rational decision on whither it is safe to go or not.

If safe, indicate and go, if not wait.

When the Theory test was introduced in the UK there was a program on TV discussing the questions, guests were from a few motoring organisations and a Rep from the then DSA (now called DSVA Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency
    = RSA).

One of the questions that was discussed was the sequence of actions regarding moving off from the kerb. The DSA spokesman said it was dangerous to indicate without fully checking, reason he gave why, they could indicate in front of an oncoming car who could then panic, assume they were actually moving out and swerve or brake hard to avoid.

In certain circumstances part of the manoeuvre could also include the odd mirror check, so it could be MSMMMM, but the basic moving off is again Mirrors, signal Manoeuvre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

J_R wrote: »
    MSM

Everything in driving is based on common sense, therefore everything taught can be explained logically in total basic common sense language.

So, in explaining the safe sequence of actions to safely move off the MSM' routine is used.

Before taking any action you must first ascertain if it is safe to do so.

Therefore you do all necessary observational checks before indicating.

Check ALL mirrors. (Blind spot if necessary), you can now make a fully informed rational decision on whither it is safe to go or not.

If safe, indicate and go, if not wait.

When the Theory test was introduced in the UK there was a program on TV discussing the questions, guests were from a few motoring organisations and a Rep from the then DSA (now called DSVA Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency
    = RSA).

One of the questions that was discussed was the sequence of actions regarding moving off from the kerb. The DSA spokesman said it was dangerous to indicate without fully checking, reason he gave why, they could indicate in front of an oncoming car who could then panic, assume they were actually moving out and swerve or brake hard to avoid.

In certain circumstances part of the manoeuvre could also include the odd mirror check, so it could be MSMMMM, but the basic moving off is again Mirrors, signal Manoeuvre

Your point is taken but, since you stopped being an instructor, around the time EDT was introduced, you probably know the RSA prefer MSMM. It’s specifically mentioned in EDT 3 and subsequent lessons thereafter.
    The DVSA have jurisdiction in the UK. The poster needs to follow what the RSA require.

• Advertisement

Your point is taken but, since you stopped being an instructor, around the time EDT was introduced, you probably know the RSA prefer MSMM. It’s specifically mentioned in EDT 3 and subsequent lessons thereafter.
    The DVSA have jurisdiction in the UK. The poster needs to follow what the RSA require.

Hi,

When the EDT syllabus was published I got as far as the third page, saw the MSMM acronym and fired off an email to RSA explaining that I used the MSM routine, was I wrong and gave a few examples and would I now have to change to MSMM. Here is their reply
    Thank you for your email in relation to the rules of the road.

The ‘system of car control’ is commonly known as MSM (Mirror, Signal, Maneuver) with the Maneuver element then further broken down to Position Speed & Look. Many training manuals use the MSM abbreviation to highlight the need for constant observation and to make additional checks whilst keeping in mind that conditions around you may change very quickly and constant observation and scanning of the environment is necessary.

I do not believe that you have been teaching incorrectly, the real issue comes in the way you communicate the need for a systematic approach to hazards. This is usually done with the basic MSM to start with, moving onto MSM + PSL and so on.

Your point about Motorway driving is correct, it is MSM in just the same way, however these are not all the checks before signaling as other checks are to be made after signaling also. Your point about the UK is not clear to me, the UK require a signal if another road user is present to benefit from it therefore it would be a requirement (rather than a dangerous disqualifying fault) to signal in such circumstance.

As you may be aware, the RSA are running a series of EDT information sessions nationally for ADI’s over the coming days and should be in your area. I am happy to arrange some time for you with our Chief tester, Training and Standards Officer or Head of ADI to further explore the points you raise and clarify. Please let me know which session you will be attending and I will make the necessary arrangements.

Your input into making our roads safer is highly valued by the RSA and should you have any further observations regarding road safety do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards,

As I posted MSM can be explained logically. Therefore pupils less likely to forget. How can you explain logically that say, before moving off you carefully check three quadrants, then indicate that you are pulling out BEFORE checking the most dangerous quadrant. ?

Hi,

Further to above. Re-checking my emails I find that I replied to the above RSA message. In it I clarified a few points then ended with
    Simple question and I would like a short one or two line explanation from one of the 'suits'. Why should you indicate before checking your exterior mirror. ?.

I did not receive a reply.

Just an update on my experience of the process. I finally did my postponed test on the 7th August. I got about 2 weeks notice and I had no Truman show moments on the day so happily passed. I found an appointment at the NDLS for the 13th August (as advised here I booked the first appointment available which was for September and kept logging in with my husbands pps until I found a more suitable one available). Today I got a text saying my licence has been despatched. 😊

Grawns wrote: »
    Just an update on my experience of the process. I finally did my postponed test on the 7th August. I got about 2 weeks notice and I had no Truman show moments on the day so happily passed. I found an appointment at the NDLS for the 13th August (as advised here I booked the first appointment available which was for September and kept logging in with my husbands pps until I found a more suitable one available). Today I got a text saying my licence has been despatched. 😊

My husband received his licence yesterday after his appointment on the 7th of September. :)

Is there clarity what happens in level 3 to driving instructors and the driving test?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭woody84

Anyone know or hear how far along they are with scheduling tests? I've been looking for cancellations but that a no go at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

how come cancellations are a no go?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭woody84

Goose76 wrote: »
    how come cancellations are a no go?

I mean that I'm having no luck with them, I'm going for a bike test and very few cancel them hence I'm wondering how far they're on with the list

woody84 wrote: »
    Anyone know or hear how far along they are with scheduling tests? I've been looking for cancellations but that a no go at the minute

Not sure on the bike list but cars in my area are pretty much bang on 6 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭caldew

Tests suspended in the north.

• Advertisement

caldew wrote: »
    Tests suspended in the north.

I’ve been told they’ll still be going ahead in Level 5 and they’re definitely still going ahead in the areas on Level 4 just now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭caldew

To clarify, I was talking about Northern Ireland

caldew wrote: »
    To clarify, I was talking about Northern Ireland

I got that, to clarify I meant the Republic

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭sphinx501

I’ve been told they’ll still be going ahead in Level 5 and they’re definitely still going ahead in the areas on Level 4 just now.

With the recent news of Level 5 going to the cabinet now - who will decide exactly if driving tests are to continue? I didn't see this called out explicitly in any documentation from the government so far for any other levels?

sphinx501 wrote: »
    With the recent news of Level 5 going to the cabinet now - who will decide exactly if driving tests are to continue? I didn't see this called out explicitly in any documentation from the government so far for any other levels?

The RSA in conjunction with Government. I haven’t seen any explicit info either but I was told by a tester that was the info emailed to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭iarann

Are the testers now looking for evidence that you are an essential workers and if so what kind of evidence are they looking for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

iarann wrote: »
    Are the testers now looking for evidence that you are an essential workers and if so what kind of evidence are they looking for?

Not as far as I know, they dont hold details of your employment and dont ask you to bring proof, only ask you to bring confirmation of the test to show to the Guards at a checkpoint on the way.

Taken from their website:
    The RSA does not hold details that would identify the employment status of any customers among those who have been given a test date to sit a driving test over the next six weeks, therefore we will not be cancelling any existing scheduled driving tests. It is a matter for each individual with a driving test date to satisfy themselves that they are involved in delivering an essential service or essential retail outlet.

We would ask that if you are not someone involved in the provision of essential services or essential retail outlets, that you please cancel your test appointment online using the webform provided. Do not call or email the RSA to cancel your test. This cancelled slot can then be given to someone who does fall under this category.

Customers who have an appointment for a driving test over the next six weeks, and who are an essential worker involved in the provision of essential services and retail outlets should attend their driving test as normal. Anyone looking for a new driving test appointment and falls into either of these categories should first apply for a driving test online and contact the RSA by emailing urgentdrivingtest@rsa.ie

https://www.rsa.ie/en/Utility/News/Alerts/Coronavirus-COVIDID--19--No-Disruption-to-RSA-Services/

I had my test today and was not asked for proof, but I did bring a letter from my employer on the off chance and to have it in the car anyway in case stopped by guards outside my 5km.

Twee. wrote: »
    I had my test today and was not asked for proof, but I did bring a letter from my employer on the off chance and to have it in the car anyway in case stopped by guards outside my 5km.

How did you get on?

• Advertisement

How did you get on?

I passed! Did the test in Tallaght, extremely nice examiner, made me feel very at ease.

It was very well organised, you wait in the carpark until called, on entry to the building you wash your hands, then when sitting for check in/oral test, you exchange your mask for a clean one (provided), sanitise your licence before handing it over and then off you go for the oral. Then the examiner accompanies you to your car, and will sanitise their door handle and seatbelt before getting in.

Advertisement