Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the weather like in your area 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,150 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Lovely day. 20 degrees now. Silage mowed earlier. Will pick it up tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 18,493 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Heavy drizzle at the moment but it should clear off to a reasonable day hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Bit of rain last night hopefully morning will clear up have a bit of ground to get grass seed into

Hope to get silage in before rain hits here

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Got the second cut done today. Few showers of mist here this morning but it dried up well in the afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Another dry day.

The drought continues.

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Another dry day.

The drought continues.

We got a nice bit of rain yesterday. Are ye in trouble for grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Fields burning up hard here now. Growth back to 30/day last week, only escaped bales because the cover per cow was up over 250 and had a few heavy covers to go through, but will need to go in hard with bales until we get some serious rain ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

We had a nice sup last night so I'm off to scrape the yard for the first time in ages while the muck is still soft. Hate doing it on Sunday though.

I have 11 acres to spray off for reseeding soon and I'm a bit worried about doing it in August.

whelan2 wrote: »
    We got a nice bit of rain yesterday. Are ye in trouble for grass?

Ah no should be fine for grass. Just about. Have always been just about since the cows went out in the spring.

I've heard of fellas buffer feeding there a while ago.

Thundery rain looks to be coming here for the middle of the week.
    Lads are cutting the winter barley down here too now. Looks to be good.
    I'd say the spring barley could be back.

Very good year for milk production here though. Grass utilisation is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Another dry day.

The drought continues.
    No drought around here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ah no should be fine for grass. Just about. Have always been just about since the cows went out in the spring.

I've heard of fellas buffer feeding there a while ago.

Thundery rain looks to be coming here for the middle of the week.
    Lads are cutting the winter barley down here too now. Looks to be good.
    I'd say the spring barley could be back.

Very good year for milk production here though. Grass utilisation is excellent.

Got hold of another 10ac of rented ground in grass 2miles away, which drops my overall farm SR back to 2.15 (was about 2.9 last year), growing "just enough" is actually preferable than growing 80s the whole summer and having a silly amount of silage and hoor of a contractor bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Gotta heavy mist here yesterday for mist of the day which was lovely to get

Timmaay wrote: »
    Got hold of another 10ac of rented ground in grass 2miles away, which drops my overall farm SR back to 2.15 (was about 2.9 last year), growing "just enough" is actually preferable than growing 80s the whole summer and having a silly amount of silage and hoor of a contractor bill.
    I'd still like to have a bit more silage though. Ha!
    Reckon we could be in for a cold and snowy winter and perhaps a late spring.
    Time is to be prepared for that possibility is now.

I'd still like to have a bit more silage though. Ha!
    Reckon we could be in for a cold and snowy winter and perhaps a late spring.
    Time is to be prepared for that possibility is now.

Sure isn't every winter the same. We never really know what's coming. Better to have too much than not enough

Sure isn't every winter the same. We never really know what's coming. Better to have too much than not enough

Yep.

Edit: I could put the frighteners on ye and say the Sun cycle is still reducing and it wouldn't be a million miles from the conditions that brought about 2009 and 2010 and that we just barely missed out last winter and Europe got the severe conditions.

But I wouldn't do that to ye.

Yep.

Edit: I could put the frighteners on ye and say the Sun cycle is still reducing and it wouldn't be a million miles from the conditions that brought about 2009 and 2010 and that we just barely missed out last winter and Europe got the severe conditions.

We heard that last winter too

Yep.

I'm a wait and see type of person. No use worrying until it happens.

I'm a wait and see type of person. No use worrying until it happens.

Better having the silage stocked up anyways just in case ;)

Reggie. wrote: »
    Better having the silage stocked up anyways just in case ;)

Indeed but this crack of saying what weather is going to be like in 6months time rarely follows through. Sure this last few weeks it cant be properly predicted for the next couple of days

• Advertisement

Indeed but this crack of saying what weather is going to be like in 6months time rarely follows through. Sure this last few weeks it cant be properly predicted for the next couple of days

10 days roughly.
    But usually then to be more accurate 5 days.
    But even then for local differences the day before and then for shower type scenarios an hour before.

But larger scale trends and influences can be observed and roughly they know from what happened when a certain trigger point happened in the past and what weather conditions followed that.
    The dots are beginning to be joined up now.

Fierce mild out today.

2017-07-17_16.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Was topping in the tractor this evening,was roasted out of it!....giving for rain again Wednesday so will enjoy the predicted 26 degrees tomorrow.

Proper summer day today. Gotta love it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

hard to do much work in this weather bar the essentials. Havnt started a tractor with over a week. Might put out a few bags of stuff tomorrow before the rain. Love nothing better than the sun and especially when its free here in Ireland. Plenty of wet/cold days to be doing other work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Yep.

The county councils may be ropped in to keep all these new outdoor cubicle set-ups gritted so haha, would be interesting to see what the census on them is if the above weather did hit next winter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭Grueller

Gorgeous morning here but the rain is needed. Grass is fierce scarce as we were late cutting silage and after grass was slow. Will be on the bales from Friday on.

20c already, nice steady stiff breeze, pure heaven.

Be some hay saved today, take pressure of allot of lads that have it nearly there.

Any thunder and lightening yet?

• Advertisement

Any thunder and lightening yet?

Nope.

Advertisement