Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Units of alcohol per week...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I spoke to a spanish doctor once (dunno where he got his medical degree - probably in a f*cking lucky bag) that told me two 330ml bottles of Beer a WEEK was barely OK ... but don't go to 3.

Clown, wouldn't bring my sick dog to him.

The Spanish can't drink hoorin' lemonade, dummind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭petros1980

I spoke to a spanish doctor once (dunno where he got his medical degree - probably in a f*cking lucky bag) that told me two 330ml bottles of Beer a WEEK was barely OK ... but don't go to 3.

Are you sure he didn't mean a day? Spain has one of the highest weekly safe drinking limits in Europe: https://elpais.com/elpais/2018/07/06/inenglish/1530875602_215649.html

I went for a regular check up at my GP here in London last year who didn't seem at all concerned that I drank around 50-60 units a week. She sort of laughed it off saying she knew the craic to be had in London made it easy to be out for pints....:pac::pac:

It's easier to clock them up in the UK to be fair given most beers are 5% making for 2.5 units a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭petros1980

Seamai wrote: »
    the one thing that surprised me though was Italy on holidays last month, I couldn't find one bar that served alcohol free beer, when I asked why, I don't think they saw the point of it, strange for a society where getting drunk in public is considered the ultimate social faux pas.

That's strange considering in Spain every bar has a good NA lager on draft. That combined with the fact you can get all sorts of measures of beer down to around a quarter of pint makes for great options when you just want a refreshing drop on a hot day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,997 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Lol. Some people have already satisfied themselves that doctors and scientists don’t know anything and it’s all made up.

“Shur, you wouldn’t even be drunk after 7 pints so how can it be doing harm?” seems to be seen as a clever argument by some.

Leave Nox alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

What's up with your dog?

• Advertisement

Nox, you are a genuinely interesting case, if what you are saying in this and other threads is true.

It sounds like you drink a colossal amount, that 14 units would not be a fraction of what you drink a week. Yet it seems you have ur act together somewhat, you claim to have a good job, are building a house I think.

Is it true you genuinely don’t have any bad effects from booze? It sounds like you are committed to the drinking the way another fella might be to GAA or marathon running or something, sounds like it is your number one focus outside work.

I think it’s fair to say most people couldn’t drink like you and be in good mental health. Does anyone close to you worry about your drinking?

14 units is feck all, doesn’t mean I drink that every evening though which you are assuming. I’d comfortably go over the silly low limits most weeks but like some other posters have said it tends to be colossal weeks/weekends on the beer around festivals, bank holidays, Christmas, weddings etc where 14 units wouldn’t even be fully warmed up into the days drinking (could have that drank by lunch time) other weeks then would be quieter 6 or 7 pints after work of a Friday, few cans at home on Saturday etc and then there would be the standard big night of a fri or sat that’s very regular (double figure of pints, few whiskeys, maybe a few shorts near the end of the night etc).
    7 pints is a huge amount of alcohol for a human.
    But then, I guess, the kind of people that think 7 pints isn't much don't see a problem with staggering, slurring speech, forgetting parts of the night, repeating yourself and generally looking and sounding inebriated.

7 pints is damn all, why do you think it’s such a huge amount. I’d certainly not be slurring or staggering after such a small amount. Only a light weight would be in any sort of noticeable condition after 7 pints so you are well wide of the mark imo.

Some serious light weights around this thread in general, not a very good reflection of society in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

wakka12 wrote: »
    What do you mean nonsense? Theyre just trying to give the best advice possible so the public can make informed decisions to protect their health. Theyre not saying it to piss drinkers off ,no point getting mad about it because you want to drink more than that without consequence or because our culture has normalised drnking more than that in one sitting

Best advice. Ya

1st day I cut out alcohol
    2nd day I cut out smoking
    3rd I cut out sex
    4th day I cut out paper dols.

We're here for a good time not a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

14 units is feck all, doesn’t mean I drink that every evening though which you are assuming. I’d comfortably go over the silly low limits most weeks but like some other posters have said it tends to be colossal weeks/weekends on the beer around festivals, bank holidays, Christmas, weddings etc where 14 units wouldn’t even be fully warmed up into the days drinking other weeks then would be quieter 6 or 7 pints after work of a Friday, few cans at home on Saturday etc and then there would be the standard big night of a fri or sat that’s very regular (double figure of pints, few whiskeys, maybe a few shorts near the end of the night etc).

7 pints is damn all, why do you think it’s such a huge amount. I’d certainly not be slurring or staggering after such a small amount. Only a light weight would be in any sort of noticeable condition after 7 pints so you are well wide of the mark imo.

I think you personify the endemic problem with the attitude towards alcohol and drunkenness in Ireland.
    The fact that you see nothing wrong with your patterns of drinking is not in the least surprising.

What's a "light weight"? Is it a quality to be ashamed of? Are you proud of how much you can consume? You appear to be - as if it is a badge of honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,336 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Saying 7 pints is nothing and people are lightweights sounds like something a young lad who is only drinking a few years would come out with.

I don't care who you are any person would be a bit glassy eyed after that amount of booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Neither work or family or both make that limit easy to stay under, certainly not work since a large number of nights out are with work friends.

Depends on whether you like socializing with your co-workers.
    I see enough of them during the day to be bothered see them again at night.
    Nice to get away from all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,751 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Some serious light weights around this thread in general, not a very good reflection of society in general.

You’re one of the lads who thinks he would be fine to drive after 7 pints

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Cyrus wrote: »

Cigarettes are just as dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Three of the guys from my circle are unable to drink for the rest of their life's due to their lives being in an early stage of cirrhosis, another is 10 for out, none would have been considered particularly hard cases back in the day, aged from late 30s to early 50s. It's no laughing matter lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

14 units is feck all, doesn’t mean I drink that every evening though which you are assuming. I’d comfortably go over the silly low limits most weeks but like some other posters have said it tends to be colossal weeks/weekends on the beer around festivals, bank holidays, Christmas, weddings etc where 14 units wouldn’t even be fully warmed up into the days drinking (could have that drank by lunch time) other weeks then would be quieter 6 or 7 pints after work of a Friday, few cans at home on Saturday etc and then there would be the standard big night of a fri or sat that’s very regular (double figure of pints, few whiskeys, maybe a few shorts near the end of the night etc).

Come on, using the term lightweight as an insult is immature!
    I’d have liked a good few pints occasionally when I was younger, but no way I would have been able for the kind of sessions you have by the time I was 30 or so. Do you not be very badly hungover for a couple of days if you have 14 units as a warm up?! Surely it has to impact on you at work or take away from your other interests?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,202 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Cyrus wrote: »

2 + 2 = 5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

bragging about drinking 7 pints is as stupid as one could get. if young and doing it once every few weeks its ok, but if it becomes near daily habit well good luck then.

People who need charts or justify their usage are most likely with issues, as normal person knows when and how much is enough, not to brag about it or ask whats the daily limit of intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

scamalert wrote: »
    bragging about drinking 7 pints is as stupid as one could get. if young and doing it once every few weeks its ok, but if it becomes near daily habit well good luck then.

People who need charts or justify their usage are most likely with issues, as normal person knows when and how much is enough, not to brag about it or ask whats the daily limit of intake.

Well no not really, there are charts and figures which clearly define what point alcohol intake is likely to cause severe health problems

Come on, using the term lightweight as an insult is immature!
    I’d have liked a good few pints occasionally when I was younger, but no way I would have been able for the kind of sessions you have by the time I was 30 or so. Do you not be very badly hungover for a couple of days if you have 14 units as a warm up?! Surely it has to impact on you at work or take away from your other interests?

It's Nox you're talking to, he will concede no points, will not give an inch and will always use bravado, one upmanship and such to cover for his life choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's Nox you're talking to, he will concede no points, will not give an inch and will always use bravado, one upmanship and such to cover for his life choices.

Sounds very familiar, I think I drink in the same pub as him.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

7 pints is a huge amount of alcohol for a human.
    But then, I guess, the kind of people that think 7 pints isn't much don't see a problem with staggering, slurring speech, forgetting parts of the night, repeating yourself and generally looking and sounding inebriated.

I drink. I'm involved in the drinks industry. I have no doubt that I drink more than is good for me. I like drinking and I like pubs. In fact, I drink most days and probably consistently more than most guide limits. However, I have no patience for being around drunk people. Drunk people are boring and stupid at best, aggressive and abusive at worst.

I will never understand why it is socially acceptable to be fall around drunk in Ireland.

Do I recommend my level of drinking - no.
    Why do people insist that there's nothing wrong with drinking 6-12 pints?

Ah here, loads of lads would`nt be bothered by that. If you`re employed in the drinks industry surely you have some knowledge of what Irish people drink. Sounds like you are not local and I don`t mean that in a disrespectful way.

On a Saturday evening we might head to the pub at 6.30 or 7. Maybe 2 pints to settle ourselves then some dinner with a couple of pints and then another 3/4 to close the evening out.Herself might have 2/3 glasses of wine and then 2/3 brandy`s. Head home about 12.30 but neither of us are rolling around the place and have been chatting talking to friends all night.

Everyone is different and we all have to find a level that works for us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Having a bottle of red now. A quiet one. Could do the Larry Hagman bouts on a constant basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

It's going to become a huge thing eventually in our society, the drink debate. It's already getting there with the war on smoking almost won and now it's becoming the new target. It's already half way there with all the media coverage about units etc. The fact we're even having this discussion says a lot.
    I'm having a pint as I type this (no work tomorrow so it seems the thing to do), chances are you will be too come friday/saturday.
    What separates this from other drugs like tobacco and the illegal stuff is that it's considered "social" and if you push it, it's considered quite posh if you're into your wines and things.
    You can't be a respected community member if you are seen to be puffing on a joint, even a cigarette nowadays, but if you compare that to having a whisky or wine after work, that's fine. Even admired if its an expensive bottle.
    That's the bizarre contradiction in our society between different drugs. One is legal, another almost celebrated.
    Yet nobody goes out starting rows and beating people up and missing days from work due to smoking too many cigarettes.
    Nobody likes their pint more than me so I'm arguing against myself really but I can see where things are heading.
    Anyway................... Units per week, mine would vary wildly. If I'm going through a tough time I would use it as a crutch so it could be as many as 25 pints (50 units) in a week or I could go a month without having a drink at all.
    I don't think alcohol will be an option for people in the long term future, it will go the same way as cigarettes.
    Although, you'd have to wonder, when society one day produces a smoke-free and drug-free and alcohol-free life for people, WTF are people going to do to de-stress? Yoga and Tai chi and work more....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

NewRed2 wrote: »
    It's going to become a huge thing eventually in our society, the drink debate. It's already getting there with the war on smoking almost won and now it's becoming the new target. It's already half way there with all the media coverage about units etc. The fact we're even having this discussion says a lot.
    I'm having a pint as I type this (no work tomorrow so it seems the thing to do), chances are you will be too come friday/saturday.
    What separates this from other drugs like tobacco and the illegal stuff is that it's considered "social" and if you push it, it's considered quite posh if you're into your wines and things.
    You can't be a respected community member if you are seen to be puffing on a joint, even a cigarette nowadays, but if you compare that to having a whisky or wine after work, that's fine. Even admired if its an expensive bottle.
    That's the bizarre contradiction in our society between different drugs. One is legal, another almost celebrated.
    Yet nobody goes out starting rows and beating people up and missing days from work due to smoking too many cigarettes.
    Nobody likes their pint more than me so I'm arguing against myself really but I can see where things are heading.
    Anyway................... Units per week, mine would vary wildly. If I'm going through a tough time I would use it as a crutch so it could be as many as 25 pints (50 units) in a week or I could go a month without having a drink at all.
    I don't think alcohol will be an option for people in the long term future, it will go the same way as cigarettes.
    Although, you'd have to wonder, when society one day produces a smoke-free and drug-free and alcohol-free life for people, WTF are people going to do to de-stress? Yoga and Tai chi and work more....
    There will never be a war on drink the same way there has been for smoking. Smoking is just a bad habit most people cant kick because of the addictive quality. Smoking is also far more destructive to health than moderate alcohol intake. Drink, is just fun and relaxing and everyone is aware of the health implications but many arent addicted and feel it is worth the small health risks(intake dependent,obviously) for the great social benefits. There wont be any more a war on drink than there is one against fast food or any other vice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

NewRed2 wrote: »

It won't happen. Humans arent going to suddenly stop wanting to alter their consciousness with alcohol and drugs. It's just what we do as a species

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I dunno, it’s hard to see a time when alcohol won’t be more socially acceptable than fags are now.
    That said there is definitely much more consciousness of the perils of alcohol. The country developed a very big binge drinking culture during the late 90s and early 2000s but the backlash against it has been strong. People are now doing other things, CrossFit, Netflix, online dating, hard see the pub being as utterly dominant a social option again.
    Now, I like pubs and the odd pint, but this is definitely a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

Zero for months on end but it all accumulates into a Christmas Eve party where I drink the weekly limit in a serving.
    Gives me a good new years resolution too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

What an odd thing to say.

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Ah here, loads of lads would`nt be bothered by that. If you`re employed in the drinks industry surely you have some knowledge of what Irish people drink. Sounds like you are not local and I don`t mean that in a disrespectful way.

Perhaps not local to you but I am Irish.
    Of course I know what Irish people drink, I just believe that it is excessive and harmful if 7 or 8 pints is considered a quiet night.

I'm no angel, I routinely drank to excess in my teens and twenties, being rightly pissed and I loved it but that became less and less appealing as time went on. Looking back, I think this drinking culture where being fall around drunk was not only acceptable but was celebrated is very problematic. This hasn't changed much.

I still drink almost daily and I realise that this is probably harmful to my health but I accept this because it gives me great pleasure and gets me out of the house. Booze is like a hobby for me and is my career - I need to respect it. Thankfully, I don't enjoy the experience of being pissed anymore - this makes it easy to moderate my drinking. Yes, there are occasions where I consider myself drunk - usually at parties but I'm not really comfortable with this.

By many people's standards, my daily drinking would mark me as an alcoholic. I don't agree with this, as I don't agree with what is officially considered binge drinking but I firmly believe that if you consider 7 or 8 pints over an evening as not drinking heavily, then you have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol, imo, as is very common in Ireland.

What an odd thing to say.

It's odd. Nox didn't put that bit in originally but subsequently edited it in for effect - to play up to the role he's created for himself - you know the good, honest, sound hard drinker. It's a very old fashioned attitude but fits in most of his other attitudes to stuff and the more it pisses people off the more he enjoys it. I suspect he sees it as trolling hipsters, pansies, eco warriors, feminists snowflakes, yuppies and arseholes, generally. The world is changing and he doesn't like it.

He'll drink like a real man and drive his car wherever he wants. Nox is a real man but a lot of it is put on in reaction to wind people up.

• Advertisement

It's odd. Nox didn't put that bit in originally but subsequently edited it in for effect - to play up to the role he's created for himself - you know the good, honest, sound hard drinker. It's a very old fashioned attitude but fits in most of his other attitudes to stuff and the more it pisses people off the more he enjoys it. I suspect he sees it as trolling hipsters, pansies, eco warriors, feminists snowflakes, yuppies and arseholes, generally. The world is changing and he doesn't like it.

He'll drink like a real man and drive his car wherever he wants. Nox is a real man but a lot of it is put on in reaction to wind people up.

100%.

Advertisement