Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5Km Radius Cycle routes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,794 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Always surprised me how far into Bray the Dublin border is. Almost to Old Conna Avenue..

it used to be the Dargle.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

530311.png

and around and around and around..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    530311.png

and around and around and around..

Thats very similar to my 5k radius. We must be neighbours!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I have Ticknock, Kilmashogue Lane and Cruagh Road all within my 5km. I'll be a mountain goat by the end of lockdown.

Re-raise

https://www.strava.com/segments/16372510

https://www.strava.com/segments/3742732

https://www.strava.com/segments/7081925

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

330 wrote: »
    That is a healthy amount of climbing!

Bordering on an unhealthy amount of climbing ;)

Based in Ballyboden myself which gives me the viewing point, Kilmashogue and a good amount of off-road in my 5km zone. Problem is that the Dublin mountains have been mobbed for the last few weeks with no signs of things abating. Cycled up to the Hellfire club at lunch which would usually be quiet mid-week this time of year but the carpark was jammed. I'm guessing the weekend will be much worse to the extent I wouldn't be surprised to see the carparks closed and lots of gardaí about. I'd say if the gardaí had a mind to collect some fines over the weekend they'd hit the jackpot on the Military road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

smacl wrote:
    I'd say if the gardaí had a mind to collect some fines over the weekend they'd hit the jackpot on the Military road.

One can only hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭straighttohell

Do some cyclists actually stick to this 5K nonsense, Christ on a bike.......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mod note - no debate about the rights and wrongs of the 5km limit, thanks. stick to the idea in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Always surprised me how far into Bray the Dublin border is. Almost to Old Conna Avenue..
    The first bit of Old Connaught Avenue is the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Some of us stop at red traffic lights too! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭burger1979

Some of us also pay......ah never mind....

I've mapped out a route 24kms long and 2 little lumps in it near navan. I will be straying outside of the 5kms limit by about 1km at the far end of the route but its a quiet road and I'm not expecting any issues with doing it. Did it during lockdown 1 and managed not to pedal myself to insanity doing the loop a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Stayed in it today : https://strava.app.link/zGAm5dIbPab
    Could have fit in another 15km but i had stuff to do

• Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭dahat

3 or 4 routes with common roads & two hills to choose from. It will be the finest with Zwift sessions of the need takes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

ted1 wrote: »
    Stayed in it today : https://strava.app.link/zGAm5dIbPab
    Could have fit in another 15km but i had stuff to do

Thanks. I wasn't sure if you could still get over from Tully Cross to Herenford with all the works at Cherrywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 330

Grassey wrote: »
    Or is it....

HAHA!! That is the lockdown ingenuity we have been hearing about!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I have Ticknock, Kilmashogue Lane and Cruagh Road all within my 5km.

I have one "hill", a kilometer at 2%. Sickened

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Thanks. I wasn't sure if you could still get over from Tully Cross to Herenford with all the works at Cherrywood.

You sure can, hadn’t been up there in a while there’s actually a road now which leaved you with only 10m of gravel to carry the bike over to get to the stile

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'm at the foot of stocking Lane as well so actually have loads of climbing routes. Cruagh all the way up to the featherbeds is a solid almost 30 minutes of climbing and I've also access to most of Gleann na Smól.

I actually found myself in the previous lockdown yearning for a bit of flat! Had to discipline myself into warming up properly cos straight up the hills from cold was hard on the knees.

Nice spin today without too much doubling over. 42k and 1100m uppage. Love sunny dry autumnal evenings, something about the colours, the crispness of the air and the HD 4k light :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

smacl wrote: »
    Problem is that the Dublin mountains have been mobbed for the last few weeks with no signs of things abating. Cycled up to the Hellfire club at lunch which would usually be quiet mid-week this time of year but the carpark was jammed. I'm guessing the weekend will be much worse to the extent I wouldn't be surprised to see the carparks closed and lots of gardaí about. I'd say if the gardaí had a mind to collect some fines over the weekend they'd hit the jackpot on the Military road.

Its funny I was up this afternoon and it was quiet enough, I presumed because of the new rules.

Massey's is absolutely stunning right now if anyone can get to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyKq

a148pro wrote: »
    Its funny I was up this afternoon and it was quiet enough, I presumed because of the new rules.

With the weather forecast for storms next week I think Zwift will keep all within the 5km radius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Some of ye might find this handy.

I've been trying out "Back Home" on garmin connect
    https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/952fe295-6cea-432f-b7d8-b6024d672e0e

You add it to you garmin device (in my case an Edge 520) via connect IQ,
    then you add "Back Home" as one of your data fields.

This field will tell you your distance back to your start point,
    In May I cycled out each of the roads beside me until I hit the 5km point then turned around and took another
    which ended up in a interesting 100km route
    https://www.strava.com/activities/3423510406

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

The outside of my 5k ( possibly have to venture into 6k a couple of times) loop takes me on a 37km cycle, and if I threw in a few more roads I could probably get 50km out of them, like other posters have said though, I know them all like the back of my hand.

The outside of my 5k ( possibly have to venture into 6k a couple of times) loop takes me on a 37km cycle, and if I threw in a few more roads I could probably get 50km out of them, like other posters have said though, I know them all like the back of my hand.

Would this be risqué if you post on Strava? Is it an acknowledgement of breaking the law?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I don't see Gardaí haggling over a +/- a couple of hundred metres.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

a148pro wrote: »

Went through Masseys at lunch, one of my regular spots and great all year round. Lots of different routes for a relatively small area.

fat bloke wrote: »

Heres hoping for common sense on outdoor sporting activities. I guess cyclists are not the most contagious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Plastik

fat bloke wrote: »

You'd be surprised. I was given a gardasplaining during the first 5k restriction by one that was insistent that I must be outside of the 5km zone because they had measured 8km on the clock from where we both roughly started to where they were :rolleyes:

Plastik wrote: »
    You'd be surprised. I was given a gardasplaining during the first 5k restriction by one that was insistent that I must be outside of the 5km zone because they had measured 8km on the clock from where we both roughly started to where they were :rolleyes:

Ridiculous. Common sense a lost on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

smacl wrote: »
    Bordering on an unhealthy amount of climbing ;)

Based in Ballyboden myself which gives me the viewing point, Kilmashogue and a good amount of off-road in my 5km zone. Problem is that the Dublin mountains have been mobbed for the last few weeks with no signs of things abating. Cycled up to the Hellfire club at lunch which would usually be quiet mid-week this time of year but the carpark was jammed. I'm guessing the weekend will be much worse to the extent I wouldn't be surprised to see the carparks closed and lots of gardaí about. I'd say if the gardaí had a mind to collect some fines over the weekend they'd hit the jackpot on the Military road.

Went up Cruagh to view point and down by the hellfire on Wednesday at about 2. 5 cars passed me from Lidl on the old court road to the view point and saw three pedestrians am walking into Masseys it was great not to have cars. Leaves and rain made it a bit sloppy mind you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Lucky enough, I can squeeze in a full lap of the blessington lake within my 5km ðŸ˜

Advertisement