Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5Km Radius Cycle routes

Options
  • 23-10-2020 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Has anyone created any creative routes to deal with the 5Km restrictions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Yep, I've mapped out 3750km of climbing and 140km of roads going up each of the different climbs in my 5km radius, there are one or two of these which have sections in common but all different.

530265.png

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

half decent 60km spin around my 5km... half of my circle is in sea..the rest is suburban so a bit limited. Not sure how much I'll do.. place will be chocoblock with cyclists of all types. Probably not as safe as hitting the hills so tantalising close but outside my zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 330

Yep, I've mapped out 3750km of climbing and 140km of roads going up each of the different climbs in my 5km radius, there are one or two of these which have sections in common but all different.

That is impressive. Living by the sea so 50% of the area is unusable already. What did you use to map the ride? Strava?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,772 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    half decent 60km spin around my 5km... half of my circle is in sea..
    you'll just have to become a triathlete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

530265.png

3750 km of climbing!? Jaysus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34484787

About 20km off road and 3 particularly dirty climbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 330

3750 km of climbing!? Jaysus!
    That is a healthy amount of climbing!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    .. half of my circle is in sea...
    I'm in the same boat as I'm right on the coast.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm presuming you still have to commute though?

I'll be heading into work once a week to make sure the building is still there.

Otherwise I might just use the turbo trainer for a few weeks and avoid having to clean the bike at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

you'll just have to become a triathlete.

Terrible advice. Before you know it you'll be doing your cycling in a lycra vest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'm in the same boat as I'm right on the coast.

us coast dwellers should get 10k

I've planned a 50K route with about 1000m of climbing. It's all roads I've ridden a thousand times before though, I'm not sure if I'll be able to summon up the enthusiasm to do it very often. If I wanted to go over the same roads over and over again I'd take up jogging.

I have a 40km marked out. Some city/suburban roads a couple of km of shared and cycle path but mostly rolling countryside with one 200m climb near the end

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've a pretzel mapped out, but more chance of a zwift one than in the real world looking at the mornings forecast where I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

any route I plan has several hundred meters of climbing. but that goss with living in the hills

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

loyatemu wrote: »
    us coast dwellers should get 10k
    They weren't saying that in Lockdown 1 when the weather was good!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭cletus

So, I figured I'd give a shot at cycling every single road inside my 5k radius. This is the first planned route. It's only about 8 miles long, but I figure there's a better than average chance of going insane if I do any more than that in one go

530275.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,396 ✭✭✭✭ted1

330 wrote: »
    That is impressive. Living by the sea so 50% of the area is unusable already. What did you use to map the ride? Strava?

I’m the same, but I’ve got killiney hill tight beside me so lots of different ways to attack it.
    Failing that it’ll be a Dun Laoighre -Bray- kilternan triangle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Vieira82

just saw this shared on the Cork Cycling Festival page, it's called burping, literally cycling all the streets of your town, city, neighborhood. It's great to have in mind to create cycle routes in your 5k radius. Have a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLaVCVuUxZU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

That is impressive. Living by the sea so 50% of the area is unusable already

Or is it....

dad5efd893c70114cda2963c5a6407f7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Vieira82 wrote: »
    just saw this shared on the Cork Cycling Festival page, it's called burping, literally cycling all the streets of your town, city, neighborhood. It's great to have in mind to create cycle routes in your 5k radius. Have a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLaVCVuUxZU

I like this, sounds like a plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,585 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

cletus wrote: »
    So, I figured I'd give a shot at cycling every single road inside my 5k radius. This is the first planned route. It's only about 8 miles long, but I figure there's a better than average chance of going insane if I do any more than that in one go

[IMG][/IMG]

Not very smart showing us all where you live and the location of a nice bike for those who like to appropriate shiny things!
    Half my radius is a mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭cletus

Not very smart showing us all where you live and the location of a nice bike for those who like to appropriate shiny things!
    Half my radius is a mountain.

I've said multiple times that I live in Rathangan. My bike is not in a position to be easily stolen

I used Garmin Connect.

Going to try break it up in to a few small days and then see what happens from there. Need to recci some parts as I havent done some of the planned climbs before and at least 1 might be offraod which wont work for me.

There is an awful lot of roads to attempt burbing for me., although taking a camera and talking through th e whole thing could be worth while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Going to try break it up in to a few small days and then see what happens from there. Need to recci some parts as I havent done some of the planned climbs before and at least 1 might be offraod which wont work for me.

The off road bits are the best bits!

Grassey wrote: »
    Or is it....

dad5efd893c70114cda2963c5a6407f7.jpg

Jeysus imagine keeping that oiled up

Grassey wrote: »
    The off road bits are the best bits!

If I had a CX or gravel bike they would be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I have Ticknock, Kilmashogue Lane and Cruagh Road all within my 5km. I'll be a mountain goat by the end of lockdown.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,772 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm going to write to my local TD to insist that southsiders be limited to 2km to stop them having a natural advantage. we're all in this together, i thought.

i'm going to write to my local TD to insist that southsiders be limited to 2km to stop them having a natural advantage. we're all in this together, i thought.

2km limit forever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

ted1 wrote: »
    I’m the same, but I’ve got killiney hill tight beside me so lots of different ways to attack it.
    Failing that it’ll be a Dun Laoighre -Bray- kilternan triangle

Always surprised me how far into Bray the Dublin border is. Almost to Old Conna Avenue..

Advertisement