Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekends Boxing 22/8 (Whyte v Povetkin, Taylor v Persoon, Alvarez v Smith Jr etc)

Options
  • 22-08-2020 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Best night of fights since the restart even if it really shouldn't be PPV.

Like Whyte to win late or on points but expect Povetkin to give him a right go.

Taylor wide on points. Struggle to see any other result to be honest. Persoon coming off surgery, sickness, a failed move to the amateurs and a short camp. Katie just needs to box a bit smarter this time and not get caught up in the pocket and she should win far easier.

Kongo on points. Very good fight going under the radar but think Kongo's size and boxing ability might just be a bit much for Clay.

Cullen on points. Consensus seems to be Celli winning this but I think I fancy Cullen to outwork him and put a bit of a test to Cellis gas tank. Not a bad British level fight though.

Haven't seen enough of the two heavyweights. Looks like pure filler tbh.

Few decent fights in the States later too. Alvarez v Smith the standout and Shawn Porter fighting too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It seems like I'm the only one who thinks Povetkin can beat Whyte. Povetkin will be dangerous for the first few rounds, so I think Whyte will be cautious. The longer it goes on the more i would favour Whyte to win, but i think if Povetkin gets to him early he will finish the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,592 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It seems like I'm the only one who thinks Povetkin can beat Whyte. Povetkin will be dangerous for the first few rounds, so I think Whyte will be cautious. The longer it goes on the more i would favour Whyte to win, but i think if Povetkin gets to him early he can finish the fight.

By think, are you saying it’s possible? That’s hardly you being the only one..

Who would you bet on? You haven’t actually said who you think wins..

I would not at all be surprised of an AP win..

I think Whyte will win..60/40 type confident....very mild!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

walshb wrote: »
    By think, are you saying it’s possible? That’s hardly you being the only one..

Who would you bet on? You haven’t actually said who you think wins..

I would not at all be surprised of an AP win..

I think Whyte will win..60/40 type confident....very mild!

I believe Povetkin will win by tko in the early rounds. Whyte is tough, and has improved a lot as a fighter since he first fought Joshua, but i feel he has rode his luck in some fights. I think Povetkin still has enough to win this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Johnny Nelson just said that Whyte reminds him of Joe Frasier!

So, two scousers to listen to for the night.... the fooking pain!!

• Advertisement

Johnny Nelson just said that Whyte reminds him of Joe Frasier!

Well, last week he told Zelfa Barrett that he had a granite chin because he took Eric Donovan‘s best!!!!

It’s Johnny!

Well, last week he told Zelfa Barrett that he had a granite chin because he took Eric Donovan‘s best!!!!

It’s Johnny!

Well, Eric punches like Ernie Shavers!

Well, Eric punches like Ernie Shavers!

Yeh. If only he had Ali’s chin!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I’m on the same prediction lads. AP great chance early on I can see a kd but I just about fancy whyte.

I think Taylor will be streets ahead on points and get a late stoppage. Persoon isn’t nearly prepared to fight. Rumour that her purse is quite small too so she’s after the belts but she’s had a horrible year I think it’ll go badly wrong for her and that is unfortunate based on the last fight as much as I like Katie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

There's only 14 minutes left on that free youtube channel .

First fighters in the ring.

• Advertisement

523903.jpg

You have to hand it to Eddie all the same - some setup. Pulled out all the stops to follow the restrictions and keep boxing going. Maybe the Oireachtas Golf Society should have contacted him before organising their event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Well matched fight that but realistically far too low quality to be putting on a PPV ffs.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Well matched fight that but realistically far too low quality to be putting on a PPV ffs.

Desperate I thought from a skill and quality view..

Cullen for me deserved that..

Morrison J wrote: »

It is low quality on the stream I'm watching it on for sure, and I'm not mad about the Spanish commentary either, amigo:(

Strange scoring again 97-93, 95-96, 95-95. They judges just do a "heads or tails" at the end of every round.

Yeah very poor. Had it to Celli by a couple myself but lot of close scrappy rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Completely disagree.

Terrible decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Winters could easily throw out an upset here. Hope he does too. Babic is being made out to be a god with **** all to back it up.

Edit.. Jesus I got that one wrong. Winters didn’t move and just took it. Looked like he just wanted to be knocked out so he could go home. Maybe he was sick or something. Was a bizarre performance. He’s better than that.

Winters could easily throw out an upset here. Hope he does too. Babic is being made out to be a god with **** all to back it up.

They said at the weigh in that Winters was very light, he even wore his jeans and a belt on the weigh in to make him seem heavier. But there will be a significant weight and size difference.

523909.jpg

Brave man to make it through the first round. Fair play.

If Winters could soak this up for 3/4 rounds he'd have a chance but he's way too hittable. Was embarrassing that Parker took 5 rounds to stop him.

• Advertisement

That was terrible

What was the ref at there?

At 204lbs, Babic is not a heavyweight either,

That was a great tear up!

Winters was brave in fairness, but if you had seen his smack talk in the presser you would have thought that he was going to do that to Babic!!

Babic throws wild haymakers like Wilder, doesn't even look where he's throwing.

Pitch dark Essex, and still bright in my back garden?🤔

Be a long time till they put Babic in with anything remotely close to a puncher anyway. KO waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Any idea of times for Katie?

Pitch dark Essex, and still bright in my back garden?🀔

It does get darker over there earlier it’s weird looking at it. For a fourth fight that was good enough I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Pitch dark Essex, and still bright in my back garden?🀔

Try turning off your lights and then compare?

• Advertisement

Any idea of times for Katie?

I’d say between 9.15 and 9.45

Advertisement